+ Reply to Thread
Page 103 of 145 FirstFirst ... 3 53 93 101 102 103 104 105 113 ... LastLast
Results 2,041 to 2,060 of 2882

Thread: The Viz Media Thread

Default Re: The Viz Media Thread

Quote Originally Posted by King of Calzones View Post
    I know a simple solution to this is that I could always support the release by buying the volumes when they come out (which I will end up doing once I have the money and shelf-space), but that would remove the ability for me to enjoy a good translation of the most recent chapter right away. It's not like the subscription to the entire magazine costs that much anyway and I'd honestly be fine with paying that same amount solely for the One Piece chapters, but I still feel like I need more of a push, I guess. I also kind of wish that I could just refuse the offer to get four free YuGiOh cards every year with my subscription; while I'm sure that kind of a deal excites a number of people I don't care at all for YuGiOh and would have no purpose to have those cards, lol.
    Then send the cards to me :)

Some of the cards end up being pretty valuable. For a while, the 'Slifer the Sky Dragon' card's value ballooned up to about $120. Now, I have no evidence if the cards actually sold for those prices, but I did kind of monitor it for a while and there were multiple sellers who listed them. Another card, 'Number 16: Shock Master' went up to $40. Again, they might not have sold for that but the prices only dropped once other versions/editions of the cards came out. I don't sell them, though it was very tempting for a while..
    Last edited by NateRich; May 30th, 2014 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Slifer is still a crazy valuable piece of paper :O

I'd really like to start reading the official Weekly Shonen Jump translations of One Piece from now on since I'm getting pretty tired of the abundance of unfitting cussing that scanlators tend to inject into the dialogue in an attempt to make the material seem "cooler" or whatever along with the use of terms like "nakama" because I don't know why, and also so that I can actually support the official release as a fan of the series. At the same time though, I kind of wish there was a way for me to just pay for the weekly installments of One Piece and nothing else. The only other manga which is a part of WSJ right now that I even care to read is One Punch Man.

I know a simple solution to this is that I could always support the release by buying the volumes when they come out (which I will end up doing once I have the money and shelf-space), but that would remove the ability for me to enjoy a good translation of the most recent chapter right away. It's not like the subscription to the entire magazine costs that much anyway and I'd honestly be fine with paying that same amount solely for the One Piece chapters, but I still feel like I need more of a push, I guess. I also kind of wish that I could just refuse the offer to get four free YuGiOh cards every year with my subscription; while I'm sure that kind of a deal excites a number of people I don't care at all for YuGiOh and would have no purpose to have those cards, lol.
    Just sell the cards, you'll make most of your money back, if not all of it. The subscription is basically free.

Didn't think this question deserved it's own thread. Tried searching for the answer but couldn't find it.

Does anyone know which volume viz stops translating zoro as 'zolo'? I wanna know which volumes have the 'crappy translations'

Viz never stopped translating Zoro as 'Zolo', and now that Viz is more than 740 chapters in it's very unlikely that they'll change the name back to 'Zoro' unless they go back and re-translate the series from the start. The pirate talk stops around the Baratie arc.

Quote Originally Posted by LostTimeLord View Post
    Viz never stopped translating Zoro as 'Zolo', and now that Viz is more than 740 chapters in it's very unlikely that they'll change the name back to 'Zoro' unless they go back and re-translate the series from the start. The pirate talk stops around the Baratie arc.
    Oh? I was led to believe that the zolo/zoro thing stopped after a certain volume number D: And what's this pirate talk? Can you elaborate please.

Quote Originally Posted by Conspirator View Post
    Oh? I was led to believe that the zolo/zoro thing stopped after a certain volume number D: And what's this pirate talk? Can you elaborate please.
    Pretty much just the cliche dialect you'd expect from pirates, it was pretty annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    Pretty much just the cliche dialect you'd expect from pirates, it was pretty annoying.
    Ah I see thanks for the help.

Really, the pirate talk pretty much stops after like volume 5. Translation is fairly faithful (still good) all the way up to around 23-ish, then I'd say from 23 onward it's about the best translation out there, only barring a few weird translation choices. Of course with Stephen heading the project as of late, the latest ones are beautiful.

It was Zoro at first, and then it was changed to Zolo, presumably to maintain some consistency with the 4Kids version. Then they went back and changed the earlier volumes to Zolo as well.

The pirate lingo wasn't annoying, it was endearing

Quote Originally Posted by NateRich View Post
    The pirate lingo wasn't annoying, it was endearing
    "Avast! Siam, Butchie! Belay that!'

Volume 4 is full of oddities actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary View Post
    "Avast! Siam, Butchie! Belay that!
    Haha, yeah, that was pretty funny :D

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary View Post
    "Avast! Siam, Butchie! Belay that!'

There was at least one instance of it in Impel Down.

I just picked up volume 71 of the graphic novels and I was wondering if anyone could tell me why the Tontatta were given those lisps. Is that something that comes across from the translation?

Quote Originally Posted by SilverWind View Post
    Really, the pirate talk pretty much stops after like volume 5. Translation is fairly faithful (still good) all the way up to around 23-ish, then I'd say from 23 onward it's about the best translation out there, only barring a few weird translation choices. Of course with Stephen heading the project as of late, the latest ones are beautiful.
    Very informative. Thanks. When did Stephen become the official Viz translator? Which volume was it when it was his translations?

Quote Originally Posted by Conspirator View Post
    Very informative. Thanks. When did Stephen become the official Viz translator? Which volume was it when it was his translations?
    Volume 65 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Tangaroa View Post
    I just picked up volume 71 of the graphic novels and I was wondering if anyone could tell me why the Tontatta were given those lisps. Is that something that comes across from the translation?
    They have their own style, a weird quirk in speaking. All the scanlations missed this nuance. A while back the viz translator talked about it in the onepiecepodcast. In the latest volume 74 someone asked Oda a question in Tontatta style in the first SBS

Just ordered the Impel Down-volumes and volume 71 also arrived a week ago, looking good
    Spoiler:
    except Zolo as always, ugh

Quote Originally Posted by OneKey View Post
    Just ordered the Impel Down-volumes and volume 71 also arrived a week ago, looking good
    Spoiler:
    except Zolo as always, ugh
    I agree. Then again I'd rather have that, than having some Japanese words left untranslated, adding random cuss words, and overall unreliable translations by scanlation groups.

I'd really like to start reading the official Weekly Shonen Jump translations of One Piece from now on since I'm getting pretty tired of the abundance of unfitting cussing that scanlators tend to inject into the dialogue in an attempt to make the material seem "cooler" or whatever along with the use of terms like "nakama" because I don't know why, and also so that I can actually support the official release as a fan of the series. At the same time though, I kind of wish there was a way for me to just pay for the weekly installments of One Piece and nothing else. The only other manga which is a part of WSJ right now that I even care to read is One Punch Man.

Just get the subscription then vote for One Piece in the popularity polls. The more people they realize like One Piece and *not* Bleach, the better.

That way you can still selectively support certain series in the magazine.

3DS: 1993-7490-6080 NNID: Mickamott PSN: Mickamott

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information