+ Reply to Thread
Page 476 of 517 FirstFirst ... 376 426 466 474 475 476 477 478 486 ... LastLast
Results 9,501 to 9,520 of 10336

Thread: Marvel Movies Thread - Holy Shitballs

Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The King Has Arrived

Quote Originally Posted by Pachylad View Post
    But Tony calls him on exactly that. Like 10 minutes into the film. He says "You're obviously putting on a performance and aren't real. Maybe you have weapons, but you aren't real."

He didn't know how MUCH of a performance, but he called it for a fake right off the bat.

To be fair, Trump is a caricature and he's leader of the US.

The problem I had with the Mandarin reveal was the way he was marketed leading up to the film.

They did a genuinely good job of hyping up this villain only to pull the twist. And that's not bad, if the payoff is worth it. In my personal opinion, it isn't. I found Kingsley(both in "character" as the Mandarin and as the drunk actor) to be the more entertaining villain.

It especially bothered me because the marketing for the film absolutely made it appear to be this personal conflict between Tony and the Mandarin. This terrorist leader having a very personal vendetta with an Avenger. And of course, up until the release it was all but implied that the Mandarin was going to be the leader of the Ten Rings organization that kidnapped Tony in the first Iron Man film. I was really excited to see this intimate, self contained, personal story of Tony Stark facing a pissed off terrorist group that is done being played by him.

I do enjoy Iron Man 3, but it was easily the Marvel film that I was most let down with in comparison to my personal expectations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

The MU in general will get interesting once all the contracts start expiring in a couple films and they start being able to kill people off (or recast them.)

Infinity War in particular will be interesting because well, in the comics EVERYONE died but it was ultimately a fake out. I don't know how they're going to work it when its split between two movies a year apart.

But recasting will be tough. Sure you got away with getting a new Hulk and a new Rhodey early on, but will a new Tony Stark or Captain America go as smoothly?

If they don't outright replace the characters and pass the torch, I imagine they'll let them sit on the sidelines for a while, maybe cameo an iron man suit in Spiderman, and then come back with a new actor after its been a few years. Heck, that may be half the reason infinity war is doing things like have Widow dye her hair and Cap grow a beard, and Thor shave his head. So when a new actor comes in with the old costume it feels smoother.

(And yes, Bond recasts its lead once a decade after a few films, but those are far apart, self contained, and generally basically full reboots with completely different styles anyway.)

Man, I dunno if anyone can replace RDJ as Tony. He's just so perfect for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Man, I dunno if anyone can replace RDJ as Tony. He's just so perfect for it.
    No will be able to replace him, but I have faith in Marvel's casting that they will find someone up to the task.

The question is if they go full reboot how young they want to make Stark.

FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    The MU in general will get interesting once all the contracts start expiring in a couple films and they start being able to kill people off (or recast them.)

Infinity War in particular will be interesting because well, in the comics EVERYONE died but it was ultimately a fake out. I don't know how they're going to work it when its split between two movies a year apart.

But recasting will be tough. Sure you got away with getting a new Hulk and a new Rhodey early on, but will a new Tony Stark or Captain America go as smoothly?

If they don't outright replace the characters and pass the torch, I imagine they'll let them sit on the sidelines for a while, maybe cameo an iron man suit in Spiderman, and then come back with a new actor after its been a few years. Heck, that may be half the reason infinity war is doing things like have Widow dye her hair and Cap grow a beard, and Thor shave his head. So when a new actor comes in with the old costume it feels smoother.

(And yes, Bond recasts its lead once a decade after a few films, but those are far apart, self contained, and generally basically full reboots with completely different styles anyway.)
    If they recast, they'll probably wait a couple of Phases to do it, though, and instead they focus on the other established heroes for a while. I doubt we'll get new actors playing Tony or Cap in Phase 4 or even 5 already, so the audience would have a couple of years to get used to the fact that RDJ or Chris Evans (who, imo, will also be very hard to recast - he is just too perfect as Captain America) aren't around anymore.

Nevertheless, it would still be pretty weird. Just imagine Spider-Man first interacting with RDJ's version of Tony Stark for 4 or 5 films, and then a couple of years later, he is talking to Iron Man, played by a different actor, and acts like it's the same guy. It would definitely take me out of the movie.

Well, the big precedent is Rhodey changing between Iron Man 1 and 2. He has never felt like the same guy, even though it's been the same actor for three movies now.

Hulk the change is less pronounced because he was half CG and he didn't really interact with any of the regulars, the the one that showed up in Avengers feelssort of like a reboot anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfWood37 View Post
    The question is if they go full reboot how young they want to make Stark.
    I imagine they'll want to keep it in the late 30's early 40's range.

The weird part is that even though it seemed originally like the movies were being paced to be close together on a timeline, the last couple films (Spiderman especially) have established that it's basically moving in real time, so Tony has been Iron Man for 7-10 years. Not sure how you deal with that with recasting if they keep the timeline moving. Especially since Peter Parker is going to age, more noticeably than the adults.

I'd be perfectly fine with them keeping Downey in there forever and seeing Tony Stark age and grow old and change, especially since the comics never dared, (because the Tony mentoring Peter is different from the guy that was in the first films) and I think the audience might be okay with that up to a point too, but I don't think Downey has the desire or energy to be doing it into his 60's.

Though letting him be sidelined to take a break for a while and bringing in some sort of temp replacement to keep the IP alive and then bringing in 70 year old Iron Man down the line would be cool... (same way bringing in Michael Keaton to be old Bruce Wayne to mentor a Batman Beyond would be cool) but they're pretty much playing that arc with Peter.

Maybe Infinity War will have an out.
    Last edited by Robby; March 14th, 2018 at 06:10 AM.

*guffaw*

Oh, I'd forgotten Jordan placed the Human Torch. As did Chris Evans. Two former Human Torch's playing a different set of Marvel characters. Heh.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Those suits were disposable because Tony was making them from a bad place. 7-51 or whatever were all done while he was obsessing and freaking out over New York. And yes, being attacked by an alien invasion, and nearly dying after choosing to make a self sacrifice would have an effect, even for someone that had been through his kidnapping thing. (Because he was in control during the kidnapping and had a plan.) Them getting shredded and then blown up was him clearing the plate and then coming back to it fresh. Note that he's basically only kept around the oldest ones from before Avengers (which are obviously nostalgic recreations rather than the actual suits) and the newest model, and the Hulkbuster because... reasons. He hasn't gone back to any of those other dozens of flawed coming from a bad place suits.

And given what happened in the movies that followed, he *wanted* to give it all up for Pepper but couldn't. That's why they kept fighting and broke up. He tried to fix the problem without being personally involved with Ultron, and that... backfired.

And of course the results from that led into Tony being pro-registration in Civil War because he couldn't even trust himself anymore.

"It's not like the comics" doesn't hold up as a specific reason to dislike what the movie actually did. It might taint it for a specific audience member who thinks the comic did it better, but as its own medium and own interpretation it's fine. I was dissapointed in the Mandarin reveal myself because *I* wanted magic rings from outer space ongoing super baddy... but that's not the movie's issue.

(No one complains that WInter Soldier or Civil War was completely different from the comic... and I'm sure Infinity War is going to only superficially resemble the comic) The Mandarin twist is... divisive. But if you don't have expectations from the comics where he's a long term master villain with magical power it works fine as a legit surprise twist... though Killian is way less interesting.

John Connor didn't work. He really didn't. He was insufferable unlikeable asshole, and turned Arnie into a complete catch phrase joke. That absolutely tainted the franchise, no matter how well people remember it. Terminator 2 had cool action scenes and effects, but T1 is the only actually good movie in it's own right.
    I don't buy the 'coming from a bad place' thing, there was no reason (justifiable at least) to just trash a perfectly good working model even if he wanted to start over; just modify the existing thing, for crying out loud. Although if the argument were to be made that it prevented Ultron from having access to a wider variety of drones to control and use against the Avengers and thus making victory less difficult or impossible to achieve, I could probably see that working as an excuse, if they mentioned it. But who wouldn't want to see them all having to face a multifaceted army of Ultrons rather than identical drones? And I still don't buy the PTSD thing coming in tardy to the party. If they were hinting all throughout the trilogy that he's been dealing with it, even in secret, that might have been acceptable for it to come out in full here but again, his not attempting to get help with it is bull. If he was willing to do all this other crap for Pepper, she could have told him to and he'd have done it. So unless she ended up completely not caring about him at all (a narrative inconsistency if so) then that also ought to have happened and didn't (or did, with an inexcusable refusal; I haven't watched it since it first came out 5 years back so I can't remember how that went down before everything turned crazy). Bad writing.

As far as the 'in the comics' defense, I'm not that hung up on narrative differences (no one wants a carbon-copy of something like that unless it's REALLY freaking good), but in terms of powers, it would have been superior to mirror the ones from the comics in the case of Extremis, especially with Tony utilizing it to empower himself and meld with the suits on a level never before achieved. Missing out on something that rockin' was terribly disappointing, whether or not the story would be affected by it. Wasted opportunity. Having a real Mandarin to stick around and be a looming threat would also have been a great thing to try with something other than Loki since the Mandarin would just be a constant villain and not always straddling the line between redemptive hero and maniacal trickster. That just makes it even more aggravating that
    Spoiler:
    they killed off Klaue in Black Panther rather than keeping him around since he would have been a really fun villain to look forward to seeing again, especially if they gave him access to the full-on sound body thing from the comics.
    Other little things like casting differences/whitewashing are a bit more annoying like with the Ancient One but it's hard to argue they didn't cast fantastic actors in those roles so I put up with it. At least Doctor Strange was amazing and had him at an appropriate beginner level compared to Captain America who learned to master his new body five minutes after coming out of the pod.

It's really just the number of wasted opportunities that grate on me so much. Better story, better characters, better action scenes or spectacles of their abilities being used, just heartbreaking. I don't doubt that had a HUGE impact on the box office of the other films that only started to get back up to part with Guardians of the Galaxy.

Are the rumors about a new Infinity War trailer coming by the end of the week true?
    It looks like promotion is starting to ramp up.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by MasterKingJC View Post
    Are the rumors about a new Infinity War trailer coming by the end of the week true?
    It looks like promotion is starting to ramp up.
    Oh, that would be awesome. It's so close to the premiere I'm surprised we haven't gotten another one already.

"So let's talk about this plan of yours. I think it's good, except, it sucks"

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Kaido King of the Beasts View Post

"So let's talk about this plan of yours. I think it's good, except, it sucks"
    Kind of like the humor in these movies?

Well, hey, at least we might get to see Thanos kicking the shit out of everybody. I hope that looks nice.
    Avatar: Igarashi Kyou (married name: Hasumi Kyou) from the web comic 性転換後、親友と (Seitenka-go. Shin'yuu to) by Eroe (Pixiv; Twitter) | Gender bender is love! Gender bender is life!

I thought it was funny. Chuckled at the last scene.
    And yeah, good stuff. Nice to see another bad guy beside Thanos.
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

Oh Spidey, you are cute as always.

And I do love Josh Brolin as Thaos. If they want to go the distance, they can sneak in a Goonies easter egg somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Neaeran View Post
    I thought it was funny. Chuckled at the last scene.
    And yeah, good stuff. Nice to see another bad guy beside Thanos.
    . . . . who was that?

"He could kill half universe, just with a snap of his fingers."

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    . . . who was that?
    That guy who apparently
    Spoiler:
    tortured Dr. Strange?

One of the black Order i'd say. Thanos henchmen. Though i don't know any of their names.
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

Quote Originally Posted by Neaeran View Post
    That guy who apparently
    Spoiler:
    tortured Dr. Strange?

One of the black Order i'd say. Thanos henchmen. Though i don't know any of their names.
    He is one of the Black Order. His name would be Ebony Maw.

FC: 5043 2397 0050 In Game trainer name (WolfWood)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information