+ Reply to Thread
Page 450 of 450 FirstFirst ... 350 400 440 448 449 450
Results 8,981 to 8,997 of 8997

Thread: Marvel Movies Thread - The suit makes the (Spider) man

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Default Re: Marvel Movies Thread - The suit makes the (Spider) man

Thor's coming out November 2nd here, but I'm sure is coming out earlier somewhere else, we better keep away from the internet by late this Month to avoid spoilers

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Thor's coming out November 2nd here, but I'm sure is coming out earlier somewhere else, we better keep away from the internet by late this Month to avoid spoilers
    That is the same as the US release date.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

Don't know what to say... Monquito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    That is the same as the US release date.
    Ooh, I've seen November 3 on all trailers, theaters think different probably.

Thor 3's reviews have started to come out and apparently it's exactly as much fun as it looked in the trailers. Great visuals, excellent humor, exciting characters, and solid action. On the downside, the plot is relatively by-the-numbers and the emotional moments are too frequently undercut by jokes. Still overwhelmingly positive reviews though.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    Thor 3's reviews have started to come out and apparently it's exactly as much fun as it looked in the trailers. Great visuals, excellent humor, exciting characters, and solid action. On the downside, the plot is relatively by-the-numbers and the emotional moments are too frequently undercut by jokes. Still overwhelmingly positive reviews though.
    From what I read, the parts that are the most underwhelming are when the main plot has to shift to stuff going on with Asgard. So in Thor's best movie, the worst stuff is the content his series is synonymous with while the best qualities come from another superhero's story. That's sad.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

From what I read, the parts that are the most underwhelming are when the main plot has to shift to stuff going on with Asgard. So in Thor's best movie, the worst stuff is the content his series is synonymous with while the best qualities come from another superhero's story. That's sad.
    You mean Valkyrie? Given the MCU's relatively ignominious set of female love interests and background heroes, a badass girl who steals the show is far from the worst thing to happen. And it sounds like Thor himself is pretty highly entertaining with his wisecracks.

Asgard's always been a bit of a weak point for the series, same as any other advanced civilization introduced in modern sci-fi. It's a bit of a shame but not really surprising.

You mean Valkyrie? Given the MCU's relatively ignominious set of female love interests and background heroes, a badass girl who steals the show is far from the worst thing to happen. And it sounds like Thor himself is pretty highly entertaining with his wisecracks.

Asgard's always been a bit of a weak point for the series, same as any other advanced civilization introduced in modern sci-fi. It's a bit of a shame but not really surprising.
    Um... what? Valkyrie is a Thor character, and I don't see how having a cool female in a superhero movie is in any way bad. I don't see how could possibly get me complaining about her from my post, especially when Hulk is the only other full superhero in the film. Besides maybe Strange's cameo.

I'm talking about how much the movie is adapting elements from Planet Hulk.

Spoiler:

It's not surprising, but still a shame nonetheless. It's like saying the only entertaining parts about Homecoming are when Iron Man shows up.

Sometimes it is harder to translate a story from one medium to another. It's not the same experience and it is not the same audience. Superman to me is a great example of a character which is hard to write the right movie for as a stand alone.

It's Hulk that people consider can't make a film combined with Thor who people consider meh making a thrill ride people enjoy.If they find a right way two combine 2 characters that struggle to make a good film into one enjoyable ride I say that's progress already.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    And that alone makes me kind of really afraid I'm not gonna love it as MUCH as I want to like it. Cause right now I wanna have kids with this movie. I don't know if I'm setting my expectations too high. Am I?
    Expectations are the enemy of fun. With expectations the smallest nitpick can become a big flaw. Don't have expectations you wil enjoy it better.

Don't mess with the Law if you don't have an Ace up your sleeve.

Um... what? Valkyrie is a Thor character, and I don't see how having a cool female in a superhero movie is in any way bad. I don't see how could possibly get me complaining about her from my post, especially when Hulk is the only other full superhero in the film. Besides maybe Strange's cameo.

I'm talking about how much the movie is adapting elements from Planet Hulk.

It's not surprising, but still a shame nonetheless. It's like saying the only entertaining parts about Homecoming are when Iron Man shows up.
    Ah, gotcha. I suppose in terms of setting that might be kind of true, but it sounds like the best part of the movie (the humor) is character-driven and not really exclusive to the Hulk in any way.

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    Sometimes it is harder to translate a story from one medium to another. It's not the same experience and it is not the same audience. Superman to me is a great example of a character which is hard to write the right movie for as a stand alone.

It's Hulk that people consider can't make a film combined with Thor who people consider meh making a thrill ride people enjoy.If they find a right way two combine 2 characters that struggle to make a good film into one enjoyable ride I say that's progress already.
    Eh, I blame this more on Marvel's incompetence in storytelling vision at this point when it comes to Thor than adaptation difficulty. I'll give them a pass on the first film since they were barred by the origin story, but Dark World... nah, that was hazardous. That is completely on them.

Superman is a difficult character, but then again, modern interpretations of him haven't really tried to adapt him authentically. The DCEU is a mess overall, to say the least. If Wonder Woman can work, then there is still some hope for Superman and Thor.

And I don't mind a teamup for one film. I only question what's going to happen if a Thor 4 or Thor reboot ever needs to be made. He can't rely on the crutch of having a superhero buddy all of the time to make himself as an individual hero shine.

Ah, gotcha. I suppose in terms of setting that might be kind of true, but it sounds like the best part of the movie (the humor) is character-driven and not really exclusive to the Hulk in any way.
    I hope so. Ant-Man's humor was anything but compellingly character driven aside from that one gag of talking about knowing this guy, ugh. And I don't really need a Guardians dance off again. But I think this movie will be better than them in the humor department.

Am I the only person here who's actually enjoyed all of the marvel studios movies

don't get me wrong, there are definitely tiers to these movies, and each of them has some plot holes/problems to criticize, but damn I haven't watched one that I didn't think was at least a good time and fun to watch with friends and family, I own all the movies (because I always buy things I straight up love, I have every one piece volume and almost all modern marvel graphic novels) and I watch them like four to five times in theaters (usually two times with different groups of friends, once with my mother, once with my father, and sometimes I go see it with my sister)

damn I just watched Thor Dark world again with my sister yesterday and we loved it, I mean it's not awe inspiring or amazing but it's definitely fun to watch, idk feels like people need to lighten up and stop being so critical

Don't get me wrong I understand this a Fourm and it's where we go to talk about what we liked and didn't like..... and there's plenty there, but I don't believe any of these movies are crap, I just don't

and I can not understand bashing there humor, I started reading Marvel comics over DC because I loved the funny banter and back and forth conversations between there characters! To me it's like a staple of Marvel, and why I love these movies keeping to the feel of the comics

Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

Quote Originally Posted by choperman View Post
    And I can not understand bashing there humor, I started reading Marvel comics over DC because I loved the funny banter and back and forth conversations between there characters! To me it's like a staple of Marvel, and why I love these movies keeping to the feel of the comics
    It's not so much these movies having humor as much as the humor deriving from pop culture/forced awkwardness being emphasized over compelling drama and consequences. As well as some extremely by the numbers plots and bland megalomaniacal villains. Not all Marvel movies are like that, of course. Captain America's sequels are praised for breaking those trends, among certain others said to have a nice balance of humor and drama like Guardians of the Galaxy 1 and 2. But some definitely are that disappointing and forgettable to me.

But hey, all power to you if you like the whole universe. That's cool. What would you say is your favorite film/superhero in the MCU? And have you checked out any of the Marvel Netflix shows?
    Last edited by Count Mario; October 20th, 2017 at 07:46 PM.

Am I the only person here who's actually enjoyed all of the marvel studios movies

don't get me wrong, there are definitely tiers to these movies, and each of them has some plot holes/problems to criticize, but damn I haven't watched one that I didn't think was at least a good time and fun to watch with friends and family, I own all the movies (because I always buy things I straight up love, I have every one piece volume and almost all modern marvel graphic novels) and I watch them like four to five times in theaters (usually two times with different groups of friends, once with my mother, once with my father, and sometimes I go see it with my sister)

damn I just watched Thor Dark world again with my sister yesterday and we loved it, I mean it's not awe inspiring or amazing but it's definitely fun to watch, idk feels like people need to lighten up and stop being so critical

Don't get me wrong I understand this a Fourm and it's where we go to talk about what we liked and didn't like..... and there's plenty there, but I don't believe any of these movies are crap, I just don't

and I can not understand bashing there humor, I started reading Marvel comics over DC because I loved the funny banter and back and forth conversations between there characters! To me it's like a staple of Marvel, and why I love these movies keeping to the feel of the comics
    I found doctor strange pretty meh although I like the ending and chracter(a better Tonny Stark and Homecoming is a case of clinical study it doesn't have flaws per se but it is so tight that I'm just respecting it rather than truly enjoy it.

Also didn't watch any of the Thor and think Gardians 2 is unenjoyable.

Don't mess with the Law if you don't have an Ace up your sleeve.

What would you say is your favorite film/superhero in the MCU? And have you checked out any of the Marvel Netflix shows?
    My favorite movie of MCU is definitely Avengers earth's mightiest heroes, it might even be my favorite film of all time, but I'm extremely biased, I've been waiting for an avengers film since I was in elementary school I'm a huge marvel geek

I also stress the word favorite, not best.

Hidden:
    lol funny story, me and my friend actually tried writing a screenplay for an avengers movie when we were in sixth grade.... and you can imagine how horrible it was lol

I mean it was really bad.... like super bad (cause we were little kids) we just had the whole team meet up to stop a motorcycle gang from doing something bad (they were robbing a store or something) no introductions just straight into action with Iron man, thor and cap fighting regular dudes who were probably just stealing a tv or something

but the best thing about it was the casting, because we weren't big into movies then, so we had Arnold Schwarzenegger as Thor and Mal Gibson as Captain America, don't remember anything outside of that but yeah it was hilariously bad, wish I could find that for you guys

But my Tier rankings for4 the MCU films has to be

Avengers Earth's mightiest heroes
    Guardians of the Galaxy
    Captain America Civil war
    Captain America winter solider
    Iron Man
    Spider man Homecoming
    Guardians of the Galaxy volume 2
    Avengers age of ultron (at first was a huge let down, but I ended up appreciating over time)
    Doctor strange
    Thor
    Ant Man
    Iron Man 2
    Captain America the first avenger
    Thor Dark world
    Iron man 3
    Hulk

I actually haven't seen Hulk since it came out, the only one I don't own lol

and yeah I loved the first dare devil season and Jessica Jones, I was a fan of Luke cage but wasn't crazy over it, didn't like dare devil season 2 or iron fist, and only enjoyed the parts where they interacted with each other in Defenders

Daredevil season 1
    Jessica Jones
    Luke Cage
    Defenders
    Dare devil season 2
    Iron Fist

and I can't seem to bring myself to watch Inhumans with how bad it's supposed to be

Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

Earth's Mightiest Heroes was the name of the Disney cartoon.......unless some countries got that title and I'm not aware of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Rankings
    I think it's interesting that despite your pushback against the Marvel "bashing," your own rankings align pretty closely with the general consensus. Your enjoyment of them all might be more than some of the rest of us but it seems like the same things that I like stand out to you.

The big thing that stands out to me is that, depending on your enjoyment of Civil War, we haven't gotten a really top tier MCU movie in a couple years. The top movies (again, sans Civil War) all brought something different and new to the table that made them more interesting; a lot of the material since then has sought to blend those features, creating that kind of "MCU movie tone." That large middle tier isn't bad by any means, but it's also generally not very memorable. The small tweaks they've made (adding Inception magic, making it a teen movie, including a slightly better villain) haven't done enough to make the general structure and tone of the movies different enough to stand above the rest. That's what I, at least, am looking for.

In the original Spiderman, just after Norman gets himself stabbed with his glider, he says, "Don't tell Harry." It immediately gives Peter so much more weight to carry. And it isn't followed up with a joke or a silly scene (Man of Steel ...); it carried over all the way to the end. I thought Homecoming was great but it lacked that. Commitment to drama. Kids can handle some drama, ffs.

The small tweaks they've made (adding Inception magic, making it a teen movie, including a slightly better villain) haven't done enough to make the general structure and tone of the movies different enough to stand above the rest. That's what I, at least, am looking for.
    Edgar Wright's Ant-Man might have been that something special. Who knows what's been changed but, I doubt the villain we got was his idea.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information