+ Reply to Thread
Page 831 of 834 FirstFirst ... 331 731 781 821 829 830 831 832 833 ... LastLast
Results 16,601 to 16,620 of 16667

Thread: Super Smash Bros

Default Re: Super Smash Bros

Definitely out of left field, and I really hope we get more music this time. Otherwise I just think it's okay. I don't think FF7 needed more Smash love, at least not before other unrepresented franchises or other 1-character franchises (would have much preferred Dr. Robotnik for example).

That said I'm relieved it isn't one of the many, MANY characters people have been frothing over that I dislike. And unlike Steve, I'm at least curious to try Sephiroth.

They put em in Smash Bros! Conekiller's Avatar

I love his in game model!
    [
    Please visit my Deviant art gallery.
    There will be Punch and Pie!

I have to admit, I didn't expect him to be in the game. I actually want to try Sephiroth out.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Phbt, just another sword user.

Well, he's looking fabulous as always.

I'm still a little miffed that Amaterasu from Okami still isn't there.

Edgey mcEdgelord eh? Well, I DID like playing him in Dissidia... so very very tired of FF7 being the only FF game that ever gets rep though.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I'm still a little miffed that Amaterasu from Okami still isn't there.
    Fantastic as Okami is, it *was* a flop. Critically acclaimed, but still a flop that killed it's studio.

Capcom doesn't seem to have any idea what to do with it either. But I think we'd be more likely to see Megaman X, Chun Li, Arthur and Firebrand, Viewtiful Joe, Strider, or a Monster Hunter rep before we saw Ammy. (I don't think Phoenix Wright would make it before her... he was already a wonky joke choice in Marvel vs Capcom)

I don't think Dante or a Resident Evil character would ever make it in but hell Bayonetta and Joker did and Snake is a legacy character so...
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

There will be a presentation on the 17th from Sakurai to go over his moveset. So, probably release early during christmas week? iirc this is a very similar timeline to Cloud five years ago (also released around christmas).

Interested in seeing what bloodbath goes down from the new mii costumes. I'm glad I'm not too invested in Geno or Sora, I could see them getting costumes to go along a square enix character pack.

I will never forgive Dissidia for not including Balthier.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Fantastic as Okami is, it *was* a flop. Critically acclaimed, but still a flop that killed it's studio.

Capcom doesn't seem to have any idea what to do with it either. But I think we'd be more likely to see Megaman X, Chun Li, Arthur and Firebrand, Viewtiful Joe, Strider, or a Monster Hunter rep before we saw Ammy. (I don't think Phoenix Wright would make it before her... he was already a wonky joke choice in Marvel vs Capcom)
    And yet they've re-released it on the PS3, the PS4, the Wii, the Wii U, AND the Switch. Why would they keep doing that if it wasn't so beloved?

If I can't have Ammy I wouldn't say no to Chun-Li.

Stay foxy out there! Kitsune Inferno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I wouldn't hope for two 3rd Party characters from the same company. (Specially if same said company has already gave 2 of their characters already.)
    This post aged poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    This post aged poorly.
    Actually it was about having two 3rd Party characters in this Fighter Pass.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I thought God Hand killed their studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Conekiller View Post
    I love his in game model!
    It's real neat! I've never liked the hyper-real iterations of the FFVII characters, so this has just enough cartoonyness for me

I have zero nostalgia for FFVII so this is another 'Ken and Ryu' situation where I didn't bother with the first char so won't really with the second.

If this means more music tracks from FF I'll be interested in that.

For me any hope of getting Rex has gone. I can't see Sora getting in now since we have 3 Square reps. Nor Lara Croft or a Nier rep. (Not that I expected these. Just probably woulda been more interesting)
    Oh hey, I do videos on figures and manga and stuff: https://www.youtube.com/thatmanhismerch

I just want Sephiroth's final smash to be Supernova.
    FC(3DS) - 2724-4238-5489 (LZTan)
    FC(Switch) - SW-3434-4042-7728 (Jin)
    Bond en Avant practices drawing in general

I draw a silly comic about school and life.

The great thing about Sephiroth being in is even if you think he's the most annoyingly overrated bishie ever, you can now beat him up using Luigi or Donkey Kong

I’m surprisingly ok with him. Steve broke all that could have bothered me, it needs to be something even more bothersome for me to care.

The trailer was good, loved Mario’s “death”, but I was annoyed that the generic doomsday villain that killed everyone except Kirby now was soloed by sephiroth. We haven’t got this kind of reveal video since Banjo&Kazooie, right? Terry’s was the retro one, min min and Byleth was in their game style, and Steve was practically in-game only.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    And yet they've re-released it on the PS3, the PS4, the Wii, the Wii U, AND the Switch. Why would they keep doing that if it wasn't so beloved?
    Because at this point forward-porting it is easy and makes them money. It's not like they've remastered the assets or fixed anything or made the opening cutscene skippable or made use of a given console's special features or added new bonuses... (like they did for the Wii controls) its just direct ports. (They put a tiny bit of work into making HD for the PS3, but didn't truly upscale the textures or anything so its looking its age now.) Much like the umpteen re-releases of MegaMan. It's fairly cheap to re-release it, it has some fans,, there's no reason not to.

Heck, Okami on the PS4 doesn't even have new trophies, it shares the same list as PS3 so you can't even plat it a second time.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I thought God Hand killed their studio.
    Nope, they were already done before God Hand was released... is a large part of the reason that game was so unpolished and unfinished. They put it out just top put it out before their doors closed, but even reviews at the time taked about how it was a shame it was Clover's last game.

Its crazy because Okami was super praised and even won several game of the year awards but it was just... too niche. Maybe if it had looked realistic instead of like a Japanese painting it would have done better? But then it would have also aged super badly..
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Part of what makes Okami amazing is BECAUSE it looks like a Japanese painting. And a big part of the gameplay is ink drawing, so it wouldn't have worked with another style.

Because it's so stylized it can last longer too, as looking "realistic" was never its thing.

*I* know that, and *you* know that, but to the average player it just looks weird. Tons of awards and praise didn't translate to sales.

Also, while the stylization means it hasn't aged like other PS2 era games, so it was still pretty solid on the PS3, it HAS aged. I started playing it again recently for the first time in a while (Ghost of Tsushima got me in the mood for it) and a lot of the textures, even for being in painted style, don't hold up great in HD or on a bigger screen. Some of them are really jaggy or faded, or look fuzzy like they're jpegs that got sized up and blurred... also a lot of times the brush stroke inlines ont eh background would get positively huge compared to the characters and would look weird. You can do the same effect but still have it look better on modern hardware. (Also more plants and particle effects and general filling out the landscape so its not all flat areas surrounded by mountains)

Most of the characters still look okay because they were textured with flat colors, but the backgrounds... not so good.

Playing Ghost of Tsushima I just kept thinking "man, imagine if Okami had this."
    Last edited by Robby; December 11th, 2020 at 01:51 PM.

Its crazy because Okami was super praised and even won several game of the year awards but it was just... too niche. Maybe if it had looked realistic instead of like a Japanese painting it would have done better? But then it would have also aged super badly..
    Eat Lead was niche and looked (semi realistic) and had a fair amount hype around it.....who else remembers that aside from me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Sephiroth is a great choice for Smash since we need more playable villains :D

Kamen Rider OOOs

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information