+ Reply to Thread
Page 708 of 826 FirstFirst ... 208 608 658 698 706 707 708 709 710 718 758 808 ... LastLast
Results 14,141 to 14,160 of 16519

Thread: Super Smash Bros

Default Re: Super Smash Bros

Since the last one, I've been wanting a Dragon Quest main to hit Smash. It feels weird that it hasn't happened, yet. As much as I love Ness, I'd say it's surprising he was the first RPG representative. It's even stranger that Cloud got in before, really. Dragon Quest is super popular in Japan, defined the RPG as a genre, continues to pump out games to this day and - aside from one game that went to the PS2 instead, and then recently was ported to the 3DS anyways - every game in the series has been released on a Nintendo console. DQ8 is the most iconic one in modern history, and the port came out between Sm4sh and this one, so I'd love to see the Hero from that show up.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    Since the last one, I've been wanting a Dragon Quest main to hit Smash. It feels weird that it hasn't happened, yet. As much as I love Ness, I'd say it's surprising he was the first RPG representative. It's even stranger that Cloud got in before, really. Dragon Quest is super popular in Japan, defined the RPG as a genre, continues to pump out games to this day and - aside from one game that went to the PS2 instead, and then recently was ported to the 3DS anyways - every game in the series has been released on a Nintendo console. DQ8 is the most iconic one in modern history, and the port came out between Sm4sh and this one, so I'd love to see the Hero from that show up.
    Which DQ main would be chosen do you think?
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

A DQ character brings us too close to Goku for comfort.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

As for Items, my only request is to make the fire emblem pokeball, the <norse sounds> gun from Fire Emlem heroes, that is the gun that shoots heroes into the game, to make it shoot Bartres, Wyrs, Selenas, Donnels, Raighs, Odins, Tikis, Olivias, and finally Hectors at people.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post
    Which DQ main would be chosen do you think?
    Like I said, 8 has the best combo of recognizability and, with the port, recency. That's just what I think would be best, though. Having something like the slime as an assist trophy would be good, too. The slime has even more star power than any of the characters.

I know popularity for Dragon Quest isn't what it used to be, but the series is one of the most iconic properties associated with Nintendo, and now with Square Enix lending Cloud to Sm4sh, it should finally be possible.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Hidden:

I'll repeat it, every Sm4sh trailer had the same tag as that one, ya know, the one we KNOW that was developed by Bandai Namco.

But the fact that they weren't up front with it being a port is the biggest evidence that it is NOT a port.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Regardless if it's a port or not, this is the only true hint that matters

https://twitter.com/AlzarathEX/statu...36853380272128

There really is no way this is not a port, considering they used just four years to do it and they spent at least one year on the DLC and patches of the last games. Port, with all the prior DLC, a few new tweaks and characters followed by more paid DLC. Port.

Like the Avatar?
    / Like the Miis?
    Dragalia Lost ID: 97617932505

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Ornstein and Smough as Ice Climber clones.

it can't be a port

super smash bros for wii u for switch doesn't have that same ring to it

Sweet Home Chicago Cyan D. Funk's Avatar

Super Switch Bros is already the name of a long-running BDSM fan fic.

21st Century Schizoid Man Johnny B. Decent's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Super Switch Bros is already the name of a long-running BDSM fan fic.
    I'm curious how you're privy to such information.

When will the ports and no-ports be satisfied? What if Mario and Link get changed drastically to fit their last year existences? Do we need another core mechanic like Tripping, Air Dodge, RAGE, or final smashes to be considered a new version? What about single player content?

I'd be calling it a new game if it's at least Splatoon -> Splatoon 2 level of change, new coat of paint, balance, new content, keeping what worked, moving on what it didn't, even if it didn't change the engine or mechanics.

It was told that Brawl was working on Wii U pretty early in development, as in they tested Ice Climbers in 8people battle and it worked there, so they are being more forward thinking with their work, with how easy it seems to be jumping between the two consoles with the slew of ports that seemed to be spaced out more for marketing than actual development time.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MetaMario View Post
    it can't be a port

super smash bros for wii u for switch doesn't have that same ring to it
    They'll probably change the name. Or just call it "Super Smash Bros" or "Super Smash Bros for Switch".

I think I remember Sakurai saying during the development for Smash 4 that he wanted it to act as more as a platform he can expand on over time rather than be an installment that will inevitably be disregarded for a whole new game built from the ground up. Hence why it's called "Super Smash Bros for *insert console here*" rather than having a subtitle.

A Smash 4 port with lots of tweaks and additions makes sense in that context. It doesn't make sense to throw away a recent HD installment like that. Especially when Sakurai still spent two years post-Smash 4 working on DLC. It also conveniently works with Nintendo's marketing strategy to keep the Switch following strong.

Delay The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild's release date and add in a Switch port for spring 2017 to make a Switch purchase more compelling than the failed Wii U. Bring out Super Mario Odyssey in the fall (even though development was stated to have ended since winter) for all of those holiday sales to keep the Switch hype going. Announce a new Smash title for 2018 in March 2018 with new marketing. Throw in a Smash 2018 gameplay trailer for E3, maybe one or two surprises like finally showing off Metroid Prime 4, and there's the winning Switch formula. And Labo for some cheap brand exploitation. Pokemon Switch is still on the way too.

The 2018 copyright also doesn't work well as a defense. They only showed a CGI trailer, not any actual gameplay. They basically flashed the name of their IP on a video for about a minute long. It's perfectly legal to not show a full copyright for a new installment under those vague parameters, even when the intent is to clearly hype up a "new" game. Once we actually see gameplay, the copyright will get more specific. We didn't see Capcom's copyright on Smash 4 until Mega Man was announced.

They'll probably change the name, use unique marketing, and mainly focus on the new features implemented. But it's most likely going to be Super Smash Bros. 4 Master Quest that is at least 70% similar to the original. HAL's probably been developing this since 2014 and got told to delay it even more around 2016.
    Last edited by Count Mario; March 12th, 2018 at 07:31 AM.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Being a "new game" but also being a "port" for the forseeable future makes sense, when the graphics were future proofed to be higher quality than the previous console could handle, and especially when you have a roster of 70+ characters.

Just look what they did on Pokemon. Sun and Moon 2 in no way deserved the "2" title, the games were near identical to their previous versions. Just a mild new coat of paint and some minor updates, of the sort usually given to the midquel titles... not deserving a whole new number. (Unlike Black and White 2 which changed their map, order, leads, and plot.)

We're in an age where game with an online functionality can update and stay relevant for years with constant adding of new content (especially F2P games that thrive on it)... and there's no reason to not hold onto those assets and have a 70% same "new" game. If it's th previous game with a new 1 player mode, new challenges, and some new items and a dozen new character, but the entire returning roster using old assets? Is that an update, a port, or a sequel? (If it was Dynasty Warriors, it'd be a sequel.)

Stranger in a Strange Land lr-hr-rh's Avatar

Errmm, not sure if this is the best place for this sort of thing, but on the off chance people are interested I came across this article looking at how well deep neural networks can play Melee. The title might be pretty hyperbolic (I just leafed through the article, looking for it was enough bad procrastination as it was) but it looks pretty interesting.

Article
    Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

5mash tm:
    © 2018 Nintendo
    Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.

Sm4sh tm:
    © 2014 Nintendo
    Original Game: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc.
    Characters: © Nintendo / HAL Laboratory, Inc. / Pokémon. / Creatures Inc. / GAME FREAK inc. / SHIGESATO ITOI / APE inc. / INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS /
    SEGA / CAPCOM CO., LTD. / BANDAI NAMCO Games Inc. / MONOLITHSOFT / CAPCOM U.S.A., INC. / SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD.

Brawl's tm:

The original game part doesn't change, no matter how much work Bandai Namco did, as they don't hold any property over the code or the game, they are external contractors, who got paid partially by getting Pac-Man in.

No idea how to access Melee's site, but I'd guess that it's the same as Sm4sh Character's first line. (until IS)

It makes me think that there aren't any FE, Mother, Pokemon, or third party characters featured in the shadows.

Bayoneta is sega's?
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Bayoneta is sega's?
    Sega publishes the Bayonetta's games. The proper developer is Platinum.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Sega publishes the Bayonetta's games. The proper developer is Platinum.
    Despite Platinum developing the games, it's Sega who holds the license to the character (and now partially Nintendo regarding Bayonetta 2 and 3 games). Meaning that Sega can do whatever it wants with the license, but not the other way around. The same principle applies to 5mash too, as in all the third party characters can't be featured in until the copyright holders would lend their properties for the title. This means that Nintendo can't do a port (or whatever enhanced shenanigan) of the previous game without going through the legal troubles of obtaining the licenses for each character and asset (music, stages etc.) that doesn't belong to them.

All of this leads logically to the conclusion that this new project is still shaping up, and that while it will obviously feature some of the staples, the whole game around it is entirely new. Even on the visual aspect 5mash could leap forward given that while Sm4sh was very clean and smooth, the lighting and shading wasnt dynamic or detailed at all, not to mention being somewhat held back largely by the 3DS counterpart and limiting the incredible progression the series did until Brawl.

It will be interesting to see how the roster will shape up this time, considering that there are still plenty of legendary characters still not playable (Geno, Ridley, Vyse, to name a few). And alongside the roster, hopefully Breath of the Wild Link will begin the trend of renewing characters with more contemporary movesets and appearances (like with Samus still having 90% kicks in her arsenal, or Ganondorf being a Falcon clone etc.)

Good points Mario, but the lack of caps meant I was being facetious ;)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information