+ Reply to Thread
Page 260 of 834 FirstFirst ... 160 210 250 258 259 260 261 262 270 310 360 760 ... LastLast
Results 5,181 to 5,200 of 16667

Thread: Super Smash Bros

Default Re: Super Smash Brothers

So Sakurai did consider chrom.
    from the Famitsu article.
    We've just announced two new characters who will be joining the fray in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. One is Robin, the avatar from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and the other is Lucina, a swordswoman who plays an important role in the same title. I'll skip over the details.

"What? Not Chrom!?" I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular, being the protagonist of FE:A and all. However, I chose Robin and Lucina, and I will elaborate on my reasoning.

Robin appears in the game as a Tactician and functions much like a Mystic Knight (note: FF terminology, but equivalent to magic swordsman). I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.

His neutral special is thunder magic that grows stronger the larger you charge it. He uses fire magic for his side special, and wind magic for recovery as his up special. Although Robin doesn't use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn't the first time I've given moves to a character that they don't use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.

I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time.
    Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I'm sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical.
    However, what sets Lucina apart is the fact that the strength of her attacks is uniform along the blade. Marth's playstyle emulates the elegant swordplay of a fencer by dealing more damage when he strikes with the tip of his blade, but the damage Lucina deals is evened out. Thus, I think that Lucina will be much easier than Marth for novice players to play with.

I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.
    At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.

Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!

In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games.

Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!

Go Sakurai. He's pretty much elaborating the thought process of every person ever who wanted Robin instead of Chrom.

It's nice to see his way of thinking leans towards diversity and uniqueness. It's also interesting to see his thoughts about alt costumes, seems like Dark Pit might be one after all.

Pic of the day. We have Nintendogs plus cats! How could we forget them!! Just FYI, there are about five dog breeds in this game. This was me, reporting from the 3DS-exclusive stage, Living Room.

Anyone can make it!! JetPistolStrike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Go Sakurai. He's pretty much elaborating the thought process of every person ever who wanted Robin instead of Chrom.

It's nice to see his way of thinking leans towards diversity and uniqueness. It's also interesting to see his thoughts about alt costumes, seems like Dark Pit might be one after all.
    Here's hoping for Dr. Mario as well, among others. ;)

One thing I was thinking about with Lucina was that she could have a little more diversity from Marth in terms of the customizable special moves. Even though they share them, she may get different variations of said special moves that are separate from him...
    The Straw Hats play videogames, so should you!!

3DS FC: 1461-6402-9432
    Pokemon Y version- Trainer: Matthew
    Nintendo Network ID: KoopaStomper27

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Adler View Post
    So Sakurai did consider chrom.
    from the Famitsu article.
    Spoiler:
    We've just announced two new characters who will be joining the fray in the upcoming Super Smash Bros. for 3DS and Wii U. One is Robin, the avatar from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and the other is Lucina, a swordswoman who plays an important role in the same title. I'll skip over the details.

"What? Not Chrom!?" I suspect a lot of you will ask. Of course, Chrom is quite popular, being the protagonist of FE:A and all. However, I chose Robin and Lucina, and I will elaborate on my reasoning.

Robin appears in the game as a Tactician and functions much like a Mystic Knight (note: FF terminology, but equivalent to magic swordsman). I thought to utilize his all-around nature by assigning swordplay to his Smash attacks and magic tomes to his special attacks--that is, allow him to use magic.

His neutral special is thunder magic that grows stronger the larger you charge it. He uses fire magic for his side special, and wind magic for recovery as his up special. Although Robin doesn't use dark magic in FE:A, I decided to assign it as his down special. It isn't the first time I've given moves to a character that they don't use in their respective game in order to capture certain aspects of the original title.

I also implemented the system used in FE:A, in which tomes break after overuse. Likewise, I included a similar system for the Levin Sword, which breaks after a certain number of uses. However, both the tomes and the Levin Sword will quickly regenerate after a set period of time.
    Lucina uses the same techniques as Marth, a fighter with whom I'm sure most of you are already familiar. I even went so far as to make their strength, speed, and special attacks almost identical.
    However, what sets Lucina apart is the fact that the strength of her attacks is uniform along the blade. Marth's playstyle emulates the elegant swordplay of a fencer by dealing more damage when he strikes with the tip of his blade, but the damage Lucina deals is evened out. Thus, I think that Lucina will be much easier than Marth for novice players to play with.

I played all the way through FE:A and really wanted to include a character from that rich cast in Smash Bros. Naturally, I considered adding Chrom to the roster, but the decision wasn't easy by any means.
    At the end of the day, Chrom would just end up being another plain-old sword-wielder like Marth and Ike. Compared with other characters, he lacks any unique characteristics.

Conversely, when the idea of including Robin came to mind, conceiving the character was so easy that I immediately saw how it would work. From standards to specials, grabs to throws, all aspects of his moveset just fell into place. Not only did he possess characteristics unlike other fighters, but he also captured the essence of the Fire Emblem series. It was perfect!

In the end, if a game isn't fun, then there's no point. Of course, it would be really easy to make a game by churning out a ton of similar characters, but that's not how I produce games.

Initially, I had considered including Lucina as one of Marth's alternate costumes. After all, she has a close relationship with him in FE:A. In such cases, even if two characters' names and voices differ, as long as they function the same way, I assign them as alternate costumes. The Wii Fit Trainers, Villagers, and Robin are examples of this setup.

However, even though Lucina shares her physical stats and techniques with Marth, the characteristics of their attacks differ. When two such similar characters function in an even slightly different manner, I give them a separate spot on the roster since that will affect battle records and whatnot. In that sense, you could say she was very lucky to join the fray!
    Oh dang, thanks for posting. I totally agree with whatever Sakurai said here, Smash shouldn't be 95% clones and it shows.
    3DS friend code: 1478-4380-6818
    NNID: Luxorcist

It won't happen but i would love this recolour

Quote Originally Posted by black-leg jex View Post
    http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...94/867/85c.png

It won't happen but i would love this recolour
    It should and will!!!! LOOK AT THIS SAKURAI PLS!

3ds: Jonnyboy0079 0001-3313-0073
    US Battle.Net Real ID: JonnyBoy#1119

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    16 chars of classic.

With Sakurai talking about wanting characters with unique characteristics he better fix the clone problem. Give Gannondorf and Toon Link (Dude's got a bunch of items from four games that have never been used) unique movesets and please no more Landmasters. Hopefully Lucina has more differences from Marth than just changing the tip of the sword thing. At the moment that's kind of a lame change on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Leg View Post
    please no more Landmasters..
    Well atm it's Fox's final smash...naturally it makes me wonder for Falco or Wolf, or even if both will be in.

As for Ganondorf.....I dunno, I have the feeling he'll literally be one of the last reveals, and his moveset will be tweaked a lot. I mean, if we consider the whole history of Smash and whatnot, Falcon/Ganon was always the clone situation that made the least sense.

here's hoping he finally gets to use that sword

I doubt he's cutting both Falco and Wolf. I'm even doubting one of them being cut. In fact I expect most if not all the character from brawl to return.

If it's true they were heavily considering dropping Lucas (and might actually have done so), then they sure as hell better think about dropping one of the THREE versions of Fox.

As I've said before, Wolf is actually quite different from Fox, and Falco has been in since Melee, so I don't see neither of them being cut.

I would like to see some more differentiation between specials, though. That's true.

"Since Melee" is two games lol. Anyone could get cut, especially if it's a clone character. And I don't care if you want to make some distinction with Wolf's neutral attacks. Looks like Fox and has the same specials and Final Smash as Fox = Fox clone. Lucas doesn't play ANYTHING like Ness but he's still a Ness clone. Just a better one, which is why cutting him would make me sad. I'd rather have Ness cut but we know that won't happen.

Found this after looking to see how likely it is for Chrom to be a DLC. It explains a bit about Robin and Lucina too:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201..._wii_u_and_3ds

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder View Post
    Found this after looking to see how likely it is for Chrom to be a DLC. It explains a bit about Robin and Lucina too:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201..._wii_u_and_3ds
    YOU'RE LATE TO THE GAME CINDER BLOCK. We've already been discussing this :P

What!! But I've been keeping up with the thread!

The Famitsu interview was quoted last page.

How embarrassing! Well, you did not see anything. No one saw anything.

... Ok yeah I was hoping for Lucina plus Chrom.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information