+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kindle outsells softcover and hardcover books combined on Amazon

Default Re: Kindle outsells softcover and hardcover books combined on Amazon

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    You're using a digital reader right now.
    you know what I meant.
    この世に悪があるとすればそれは人の心だ。

And your still making use of the same tech. The difference is only in degrees and what we're used to.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I won't allow it

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar

Print is never gonna die, not during the time I'm still walking on this earth at least.

Though I have been fascinated with tablets and like. I remember Sony's e-reader at a Staples one time that really emulated the texture and tone of ink really well.

I don't own a Kindle, but I have been reading e-books pretty much exclusively for the past few years. The main reason is that I don't have enough physical space to keep hundreds of books. There is a certain appeal to owning a physical copy, but not enough to bother me that much.

Tree murderers.

With literature I get it, there's a kind of feeling of integration with the story.

But with technical books? What Do I do when I forget what exactly is a neuronal network? or what's the diference between little endian or big endian? Do I move the 2 mtrs to get the book, search the index, go to the page and skim over the relevant part, or I get to google and do a quick search?

What if I'm somewhere else? At my parent's house, They are going out and I want to read.. something lovecraftian, I go to their books and find only the things that I've given them a DICTIONARY and some cook books.

The real issue with the ownership is about the buisness model that's built. Think banks, you use digital money, all the time, it doesn't mater the POS or the teller machine, it's not YOUR money, but you are using it, why should matter the physical thing that you are using to read the digital books that you have?

Also, a better lisence deal, revisions get relased as patches, like how doctors change every 6 months about how deadly/indispensable is orange juice to babies, or how pluton is too worthless to be called a planet.

I'm not a particulary avid literature reader, but as a researcher of random facts and stupid shit as a kid, from dinosaurs, to elements, to mitology, to taxonomy, to wars, to history of countries, to shonen jump (My kid self was a lot smarter than my current self), linking and search is golden.

You are thinking worlds, but not giving a damn about knowledge.

Digital books is the future, once a non stupid license is created.

I have the feeling that Books and Texts are quite different words in english...
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

from my to me a digital book can never match a real physical copy, i love reading books and this might seem odd but to me a physical copy seems more personal, more real and allot easier to get engrossed in the story i feel this lost to an extent on a digital read. i mean Im not entirely opposed it has its uses for one it would be a good way to release obscure manga that has no chance of a printed release. but honestly the simple fact is its not the same this may be because im an obsesive nerd stuck in my ways, but for me digital readers will never replace real books.

Personally, I love having a nice big shelf filled with books, displayed for all to see. In a way, it's a way I can show off part of who I am. It carries a lot of deep meaning for me. You can't do that with purely digital media. So I'm all for keeping printed copies of things alive. It's the same thing with movies and such too. Sure, digital readers have their merits, but it will never be able to carry the same weight.

i actually just got the kindle app for my iphone and tried it out yesterday.

I'd been looking for a specific book in bookstores whenever I happened to pass one for a long time, but in the end on the weekend i gave up and figured I'd just order it. Given the choice of paying 30 bucks (inc shipping) and waiting a month or getting it for 8 bucks right now on kindle, i thought i'd try out the latter. Considering it was on something as small as my phone, I thought I'd hate it and my eyes would hate me, but in the end i was shocked that it was completely fine. I even read it way faster than i normally read books of an equivalent size.

In conclusion, I used to a bit of a Luddite on the whole digital books thing, but I think I just accidentally converted myself to the other side :O

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Tree murderers.
    You use toilet paper, right?

I'm half serious but I think you make good arguments. I feel the perception and reality of property ownership is the main issue here. Even if laws were made to copyrights wouldn't last hundreds of years, because of how digital distro works, companies could simply refuse to host the public domain files and block your access to it.

It would be like being a billionaire in a MMORPG. No real value.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

I love books. You can't make me give them up!!

Seriously though, the only, and I mean ONLY good thing I can think of for digital readers is saving the trees. That's it.

Oh, and being able to change the size of the font to what you need. That's a big asset for older, near-sighted people who struggle even with reading glasses.

Even the tree argument is pretty week since... lumber companies replant as they go to keep their renewable resource... renewing. In fact they usually plant more than they cut.

the biggest benefit to digital is it doesn't take up space, and the convenience of finding a hard to find thing... IF its available, wihout having to go anywhere. (I have shelves and shelves full, book stacked three layers thick... some of them haven't been touched or even seen in years and will never be re-read... and the manga is a major space eater...)

I understand where the future lies, but I'll always prefer classic books myself.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

This is a no brainer. People buy books on the internet out of convenience. If they can just have the book as soon as you buy it, then you have achieved the most convenient state. Readers who care more about the physicality are more likely to go to book stores where they can take time to read through a book and see if they enjoy it, or examine other books to see what is of interest.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I love books. You can't make me give them up!!

Seriously though, the only, and I mean ONLY good thing I can think of for digital readers is saving the trees. That's it.

Oh, and being able to change the size of the font to what you need. That's a big asset for older, near-sighted people who struggle even with reading glasses.
    Pretty much this.

I acknowledge that digital readers are the ~WAY OF THE FUTURE~ but for me there's nothing like the heft of a book in your hand. Books are a badge of pride! spines facing outwards all in a row.

My living room has 6 bookshelves and my basement has 7, all crammed with books both bought and inherited. I shudder to think of a time where I couldn't just plop down on a couch, no matter what else was happening, and pick at random one book out of the hundreds and be transported to someplace completely new. And for me, touch is an important part of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    You use toilet paper, right?
    My use of a bidet isn't in trial here!

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post

You are ignoring the fact that device with one book takes the space of the entire spawn of literataure of mankind, that with the correct license you could access your books with any device, that the books don't decay, you can't lose them, you can't damage them, it's easier and cheaper to publish, it should be cheaper and faster to obtain, global relases, multimedia integration.

Vs.

It doesn't use power (except to read at night), It ocupies a phisical space, it's loanable, it's mine, it "feels" good and I like bibliotecs.

And two of them depend on keeping an obsolete licencing system.

Besides, what's keeping you from buying books that you realy like and want to show in your collection? Again, with the right license you could pay only for the printing of your book.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I don't think paper books will disappear.
    When it comes to buying, I think it's sort of logical that digital books sell better. After all, it's easier and more convenient than going to the store and finding a place for that new book. But there still are libraries, and I think people would prefer to have an actual book if they're borrowing it.

I don't think I'll ever be able to deal with music going digital.

I don't know why, but the feeling of taking a CD and putting it into a Radio/Walkman makes it more personal to me. Makes it physical.

Although the above is not exactly the same as with books, I'm sure people had the same idea when music started leaning towards digital. And it's not like CDs are dead.
    I'm sure that once the technology is perfected, people will shift even more to E-books.

Though I, personally, prefer a physical copy of a book to an electronic copy.

Quote Originally Posted by Badass SnoCone View Post
    I don't think I'll ever be able to deal with music going digital.

I don't know why, but the feeling of taking a CD and putting it into a Radio/Walkman makes it more personal to me. Makes it physical.
    This is a completely different matter. The act of listening to music has little to nothing to do with the material of the carrier, apart maybe from sound quality. Whereas while reading a book you're constantly holding the thing and looking at it.

Discovered Stowaway

Unlike records and CDs, books (or at least their more primitive ancestors) are something that has existed for thousands of years. I refuse to believe that they will become extinct within a few years. But that's just my humble opinion of course, I can also remember a time when I believed that MP3s were a fad...

I hope they keep both digital and book. I do fear, however, the book will exist but cost MORE than digital.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information