+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: DC/Marvel animated films thread

Default Re: DC/Marvel animated films thread

Quote Originally Posted by algebro View Post
    Are the studio companies obligated to have their movies contain Batman or the Justice League? I ask because it seems like this would have been stronger as just Teen Titans.
    Warner Brothers editorial mandates, which are as follows:

One, Batman needs to be a loner, grimmer, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Batman's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Batman"? Three, the fans are always wrong.
    Complicating things since 2009.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

http://www.fathomevents.com/event/ba...joke/buy#close

Tickets for The Killing Joke theatrical release can be bought now.

Thankfully my local Regal Theater is going to be showing it
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Got my Killing Joke Tickets!!!! HUZZAH!!!!

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884 Click Here to check out my Twitch Channel

Bumping for relevance...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/ar...ling-joke-clip

*Loud Fangirl Squee*

*fangirl giggle*

Romance Between Batman And Batgirl
    I'm surprised the article didn't just end there after going "FUCK THIS SHIT"

Well it sure feels wired thing to happen but I guess was the easy way to make people connected to Batgirl and what happened to her. As if being shot and left crippled by a psychotic clown, and have humiliating pictures taken briefly after said incident wasn't enough for people feel empathy towards her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:X http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-killing-j...its-1784176711 In the older (pre-crisis) Batman comics, Babs seemed older than Dick and had no romantic interest in him (so this could be what Timm is talking about) but there wasn't anything there with Bruce as far as I could see :\ I'm more into Dick x Kory anyway but the above scenario....kinda creeps me out a little if I'm being honest.
    Last edited by RuNa; July 24th, 2016 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Why can't I make line breaks with enter?

For some reason, we got to talking about this in the main DC live action movies thread. Reposting to keep relevance in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    They implied there was a thing between them in Batman TAS.

Also, I get the impression from the Robins that they're supposed to be surrogate Children as he meets all of them as Children.

He meets Dick Grayson at Age 12 (as Frank Miller is want to remind us)

Jason and Tim were both 14 when they became Robins

Stephanie was (I believe) 15

Damien was the youngest, he's like 10, but he's also Batman's Biological kid.

So any of them hooking up with Bruce (like in fanart etc) always has a squick factor for me as a result.

However, Batgirl is different. In every continuity, she was an adult when he met her. Even in her first appearance, she's a college student, and most adaptations follow suit. I think the youngest she's ever been was 19.

For this reason I'm MUCH more forgiving of HER being in a relationship with Batman than I am for literally any of the other sidekicks.

That being said... Not sure how I feel about this change... I feel like it was done to add emotional weight to proceedings. Like, if Batman and her were in a Relationship in the past, that makes him more invested in what happens to her... but I feel like his compassion towards her in the original was a strong point of the story. Like, the scene where he visits her in the hospital and he says "It's Bruce" and he takes her hand. I thought that scene was powerful on its own, and I don't really want the added dimension of "We were lovers" to pepper it....

All other aspects of this are mostly fine with me. This isn't exactly new ground, The DCAU already hinted at this....

I do like Brian Azarello's writing however (Joker, Wonder Woman New 52 1-30), and he adapted the script...
    I'll reserve judgement till I see it.

i was really interested in the killing joke but Bats x Barb is probably gonna be a deal breaker for me. Thats gross

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Just returned from the theatrical screening of The Killing Joke.
    Spoiler:
    I thought it was amazing over all but I did feel the whole first half (with BatGirl and the guy who is basically a little more sane Joker) was rather unnecessary and really didn't do anything for the rest of the film.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

The Killing Joke is really good overall though the new material doesn't live up to the adapted parts. Mark Hamill singing more than makes up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    i was really interested in the killing joke but Bats x Barb is probably gonna be a deal breaker for me. Thats gross
    Babs and Bruce having a relationship was part of the back story for Batman Beyond and was the reason for his estrangement from Dick though so it's not a new idea; if not for the different art and character voices, this would have fit in well with the DCAU. Sure, the Joker's backstory here contradicts The Mask of the Phantasm, but, like the man said, "if [The Joker's] going to have a past, [he'd] prefer it to be multiple choice!"

i know it's not a new idea, as much as it is a Bruce Timm favorite

still kinda skeezy imo

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    if not for the different art and character voices, this would have fit in well with the DCAU.
    Didn't most of the old voice actors from the DCAU return for this?

Im no barbara gordon fan and can't speak on behalf of them, but...https://filmschoolrejects.com/killin...4#.htrhr6w1oIf this rundown of Batgirls role in the story is halfway accurate, then I think its fair to say the creators attempt to expanded her role/alleviate the controversy was a misfire.

Just saw it
    Spoiler:
    It was pretty good overall. The whole romance easily could have been left out without effecting the plot of the Batgirl part of the movie. The new content does feel a bit disconnected though. It has more to do with the editing and pacing than the story itself. The Barbara stuff felt like an epilogue which is why I didn't mind it so much, but really it felt like I was watching an episode of Batman TAS. As for the actual Killing Joke stuff, it was all on point. VA's were easily the strong suit, Hamil's still flawless as the Joker and had me burst out laughing a bunch of times. Animation wise I liked it more than some of the more recent DC animated stuff, and it really was great in portraying the emotion in the characters, especially Batman in the scenes he has trying to give the Joker a discussion on their unique relationship. So overall I thought it was a good Batman movie at it's core that suffers from some minor pacing issues.
    Also they aired a cool segment with Mark Hamil talking about the role before the movie. It was nice hearing him speak about the other voices of the Joker, including John DiMagio who is easily my favorite Joker voice after Mark. I think he's severely underrated and honestly prefer him to Troy Baker
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Return of the Caped Crusaders is a ton of fun and I'm glad to see that they've already announced a sequel.

Mask of the Phantasm is getting a BluRay release.

Better late than never I suppose.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information