Closed Thread
Page 438 of 500 FirstFirst ... 338 388 428 436 437 438 439 440 448 488 ... LastLast
Results 8,741 to 8,760 of 10000

Thread: Bart Simpson Thread XI: The Movie - The Manga Adaption - The Animation

Default Re: Naruto Thread XI: The Garden Salad is Finished

Well, in both Naruto and DB death is cheap in-universe. So I guess it has to be cheap out-of-universe, too...

please let naruto rest in peace

Someone call for Zeidoktor sgamer82's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bartholemew Bear View Post
    Well, in both Naruto and DB death is cheap in-universe. So I guess it has to be cheap out-of-universe, too...
    Death really isn't all that cheap in Naruto. At least nothing like Dragon Ball. Other than Pain and Edo Tensei, people who die when they were killed stay dead. The only other incident that comes to mind is the Sound Four chase, which was more a One Piece style They Were Never Dead in the First Place deal.
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.
    Statler: No you haven't.
    Both: DOHOHOHOHOHO!

Quote Originally Posted by sgamer82 View Post
    Death really isn't all that cheap in Naruto. At least nothing like Dragon Ball. Other than Pain and Edo Tensei, people who die when they were killed stay dead. The only other incident that comes to mind is the Sound Four chase, which was more a One Piece style They Were Never Dead in the First Place deal.
    man the sasuke retrieval arc was the best naruto arc imo

Wouldn't they need to end Naruto anime in order to make a Boruto one? And it seems they are not really into it... if I'm not mistaken, they didn't even defeated Madara in the anime yet, they must be fighting him for years now.

They are in the middle of doing a terrible dream filler arc. They want to milk the teat dry.

I'm... not surprised at all.

Yes, being able to resurrect every single named character in the series that ever died (except Jiraiya) as an completely unkillable zombie at their peak with their full memories, unlimited chakra, and with no side effects whatsoever or cancellation ability didn't make death cheap at all.

Nor did the death of 50,000 fodder in one day being basically brushed aside as nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by mario time View Post
    man the sasuke retrieval arc was the best naruto arc imo
    That's not how you spell "chunin exam".
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post

Which reminds me, My Hero Academia is a thing.

We can all move on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Yes, being able to resurrect every single named character in the series that ever died (except Jiraiya) as an completely unkillable zombie at their peak with their full memories, unlimited chakra, and with no side effects whatsoever or cancellation ability didn't make death cheap at all.

Nor did the death of 50,000 fodder in one day being basically brushed aside as nothing.

But those moments were the exceptions, not the rule. Compare to Dragon Ball where resurrection was a matter of getting the Dragon Balls together. Resurrection after death was pretty much expected after a while.

Plus, outside of Madara, Edo Tensei was more zombie apocalypse than mass resurrection.
    Waldorf: You know Statler, after watching the last nine hundred episodes of One Piece, I think I've come to a conclusion.

Default Re: Naruto Thread XI: Not Yet, Sasuke! It's Not Over Yet!

The only return from death was Kakashi's, after he talked to his dad by the fire, and then returned to life because "he still had stuff to do".

Oh and Obito's, but it wasn't permanent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    The only return from death was Kakashi's, after he talked to his dad by the fire, and then returned to life because "he still had stuff to do".

Wasn't Obito a case of "not actually dead"? I honestly forget, but I remember him having to recover under Madara and Zetsu's TLC.

To me "Death is Cheap" means people are resurrected from death about as often as they actually die. Being revealed to have survived is borderline, but not quite the same thing. Though on second thought that can count if it reaches One Piece levels where a character crying over someone's death is given an eye roll by readers, who assume they'll eventually be shown to be alive. I don't think Naruto ever pulled that version much other than the Sasuke Retrieval arc, where Choji and Neji were treated as dying.
    Last edited by sgamer82; December 2nd, 2015 at 06:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post

And half the population of Konoha that Pain killed.

Anyway, I'd say it's less that death is cheap in Naruto and more that Kishi tends to be reluctant to kill people off. And the deaths he does go through with are awkwardly handled and meaningless.

Yeah I'd say that even if the end death count was higher than expected, death was less impactful when we either had an expectation that people would be revived later thanks to the Rinne Tensei and/or they weren't people we really cared about. Like Ino and Shika's fathers at the intel center that got wiped out by the nuke the ten tails shot at them or Neji (the second time, lol). I think Jiraiya might've been the single effective death in the series

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post

Anyway, I'd say it's less that death is cheap in Naruto and more that Kishi tends to be reluctant to kill people off. And the deaths he does go through with are awkwardly handled and meaningless.
    Honestly, sometimes I think they author's hands are tied. Character popularity ,from what I've gleaned so far, plays a substantial role in the success of a manga. So killing them off isn't in the best interest of the guys who profit from this work.

Jiraiya being the only character who never came back actually makes me believe this is what happens and this decision was Kishimoto refusing to bring him back for anything but then having to pay for having him stay dead, by bringing back everyone else( shitty theory but it makes me sleep better at night).
    HOW COME LUFFY NEVER KILLS AN ENEMY?
    ODA:ITS BECAUSE IN THAT ERA EVERYONE USES THEIR LIVES TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS. FOR AN ENEMY WHEN THEIR DREAM HAS BEEN SHATTERED,IT IS AS PAINFUL AS DEATH,I BELIEVE FOR A PIRATE NOT TO KILL AN ENEMY , IT'S GIVING THEM A SECOND CHANCE TO FIGHT FOR THEIR DREAMS.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hermit View Post
    Yeah I'd say that even if the end death count was higher than expected, death was less impactful when we either had an expectation that people would be revived later thanks to the Rinne Tensei and/or they weren't people we really cared about. Like Ino and Shika's fathers at the intel center that got wiped out by the nuke the ten tails shot at them or Neji (the second time, lol). I think Jiraiya might've been the single effective death in the series
    Wasn't the Rinne Tensei was a one-time thing, two if you count Madara using it on himself? There's really no expectation of having it around if I remember that right.

As for not caring about people who died, the Intel Center is one thing, but about Jiraiya and the Third Hokage? I wouldn't call then characters we don't care about, given their sizable role in the story.

Also, to head off an obvious counterpoint: I'm not considering Edo Tensei a resurrection since they weren't actually alive again and it wasn't permanent, nor really expected to be. It's a more physical Obi-Wan Force Ghost, if anything.

Wasn't the Rinne Tensei was a one-time thing, two if you count Madara using it on himself? There's really no expectation of having it around if I remember that right.

As for not caring about people who died, the Intel Center is one thing, but about Jiraiya and the Third Hokage? I wouldn't call then characters we don't care about, given their sizable role in the story.

Also, to head off an obvious counterpoint: I'm not considering Edo Tensei a resurrection since they weren't actually alive again and it wasn't permanent, nor really expected to be. It's a more physical Obi-Wan Force Ghost, if anything.
    Yeah I think the expectation was that Madara or Obito would end up turning good guy in the end and resurrecting everyone. That or Naruto's new god powers would somehow save people like how he saved Guy on the verge of dying. Either way I do remember some speculation that at least important people had a chance of coming back.

And with respect to character deaths I was thinking more post-time skip stuff. So things like Neji's death, Asuma's death, a bunch of fodder. Like i feel that a big reason the deaths didn't really have a big effect is that secondary characters would show up just because Kishi needed someone remotely known to kill off. I reassert that Jiraiya was the only effective death in this sense because he actually got decent screen time and bonding time with the reader before he kicked the can.
    Last edited by Purple Hermit; December 2nd, 2015 at 09:18 AM. Reason: And also old guys dying in general seem to make a big splash

Wasn't Obito a case of "not actually dead"? I honestly forget, but I remember him having to recover under Madara and Zetsu's TLC.
    Not that, but during the final battle, when he returned as a soul and gave Kakashi EMS.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post

Ah, forgot about that Konoha thing.

You could have just wrote "Neji" instead of that last sentence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

To be fair, Kishimoto had no problem killing people before the war Pain's invasion (yeah, excluding Neji and Chouji back in the Sasuke's rescue). Zabuza, Haku, Asuma, Deidara, Sasori and Itachi all enter in my list or "brave killings", mainly the last three since they were amongst the 10 more popular characters in the manga at the time of their deaths.

The war was unlike the rest of the manga in that sense, with almost every single character surviving it (IIRC, the only named characters to die were Neji, Inoichi, Shikaku and Ao)
    Last edited by .access timeco.; December 2nd, 2015 at 11:09 AM. Reason: forgot about Pain

Closed Thread

Thread Information