Closed Thread
Page 43 of 500 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 53 93 143 ... LastLast

Thread: Bart Simpson Thread XI: The Movie - The Manga Adaption - The Animation

Default Re: Naruto Thread XI

If you guys want to keep this conversation going, comparing romance between mangas, cause it is kind of an interesting topic, make a new thread dedicated to it.

Otherwise, this is the Naruto thread, horrific though that fact may be to face.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Youth View Post
    Well... "beaver" could possibly... And with Saturn from Sailor Moon we got a match.
    Wow, to be honest I never saw that connection...seriously, I'm not an English native, when we say Beaver it's literally about the animal and I'm really surprised of what the slang means. This is actually my insult/nickname from Junior High, coming from my slightly larger 2 front teeth and my habit of biting pens/pencils when nervous or stressed. Other classmates got colorful names like Martian Duck, Mercury Monkey, and Plutonian (was still a planet then) Horse as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Crossword View Post
    It's certainly possible to write good romance in shonen without it eclipse the main plot, it's just that most authors are either not good enough in that aspect to write it convincingly or just choose not to go anywhere with it and simply maintain the status quo for three-hundred odd chapters, which then gets irritated because as it's clear the author had no plans to develop anything, why did they bother with that subplot to begin with?
    Yeah, I think it's like The Daz said, it's mostly just to draw in fans of the shipping variety, but the author doesn't know what to do with it. It doesn't really have to be all that complicated really, just put in small scenes inbetween all the action, like chapter 98 in Naruto for instance to serve as development for both characters. No need to have much drama or even too much focus in it, simply having reasons like "Let us save the world first, and then will we work out the sexual tension between us" to avoid having too much of it is good enough for me. Seriously, just one page of Naruto simply saying, "Um, thanks for the confession, but it's really sudden and I'm not sure how I feel about this, can I get back to you later? Not to mention me having to save the world from Madara and all that" would be more than good enough for me, and it's in character for Naruto too.

As such, I applaud Oda to remove any trace of romantic love between the crew, barring obviously joke ones like Sanji or Hancock. Really, can you imagine if between all the wild adventures we have to deal with LuffyxNamixSanji or ZoroxRobinxFranky love triangle drama? Blech.

Quote Originally Posted by Thousand Lion-san View Post
    Negima on the other hand is fantastic when it comes to the romance mostly because it comes in truckloads and is executed very well (as good as most shoujo in fact) but partly because it cuts out all the bullshit and goes straight to the romantic confessions. And the main character isn't an inconsiderate twat who doesn't consider the feelings of the girls who confess to him and leave them hanging for 100 chapters like a certain other manga (cough points to thread title cough).
    Are you cursed to haunt the internet until a certain amount of people read Negima?
    Last edited by y2kyle89; May 10th, 2011 at 01:59 PM. Reason: Getting /tg/ to make a homebrew of Negima will definitely break the curse, if so.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

Quote Originally Posted by SleepySlug View Post
    The romance suffers a bit in that it's mostly between various 15-16 year olds and a 10 year old... who is their teacher. I think it is supposed to cross the line twice and thus be less squicky but I find the concept to just be twice as disgusting.

The romance is still many times better than in Inu Yasha or Naruto but that's not saying much...
    I completely agree with this. I still like the Negima romance (particularly Negi and Nodoka which is basically my substitute for Naruto/Hinata, which never got off the ground) But he's ten years old for crying out loud!

So TLS don't get too annoyed when people say that they prefer FMA or other manga to Negima in terms of romance, because those relationships involve characters who are about the same age (except for Alphonse and May but that's the least focused on major romance anyway)

Although there is Konoka and Setsuna which involves two girls who are the same age. Yes, two girls. It's actually really well done, it doesn't feel like it's just there for fanservice, it feels like a natural part of Konoka and Setsuna's respective characters. This actually makes me rather accepting of yaoi couples in manga (that are written well anyway) if we let Konoka and Setsuna get away with being lesbians.

But steering the conversation back to Naruto, let's face it the main romance of Naruto is:
    "NARUTO!" "SASUKE!" "COME BACK!" "REVENGE!"
    Which is not very well written at all. In fact, it's kind of terribly written. And sadly the fangirls eat it up like candy. That's basically the main force that ruined this manga, that actually used to be cool in the beginning.

Edit: He just likes Negima a lot, he's not telling anyone to read it (at least not directly anyway). What's wrong with him being passionate about a manga series. Especially when the series is very good. But Robby is right we're getting off topic.
    Last edited by Kareem Said; May 10th, 2011 at 02:18 PM.
    My Hero Academia is my favorite manga series right now. At least so long as the high of its greatness remains. United States of Smash.

Quote Originally Posted by y2kyle89 View Post
    Are you cursed to haunt the internet until a certain amount of people read Negima?
    Hey, just talking romance and it was really relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    If you guys want to keep this conversation going, comparing romance between mangas, cause it is kind of an interesting topic, make a new thread dedicated to it.

Otherwise, this is the Naruto thread, horrific though that fact may be to face.
    Why must EVERY interesting topic be exiled from this thread dangit? Besides, it's sorta relevant. A comparison on how Naruto treats romance to other manga. I even mentioned it.
    Last edited by TLC; May 10th, 2011 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Naruto is like a black hole of sucktitude. There's never anything interesting you can talk about it.

It's kinda hard to stay on topic with this thread.

Especially if we havnt gotten the next horrible chapter for a week...

3DS Friend Code is 3823-8664-3087

Quote Originally Posted by Kareem Said View Post
    Edit: He just likes Negima a lot, he's not telling anyone to read it (at least not directly anyway). What's wrong with him being passionate about a manga series. Especially when the series is very good. But Robby is right we're getting off topic.
    Nothing wrong with it, I was just trying to make an amusing observation.

So; Naruto: proving you can make a "zombie war" seem boring.
    Last edited by y2kyle89; May 10th, 2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: clearly, I failed
    Quote Originally Posted by John Adams
    I have always been dissatisfied, I know that. But lately I find I reek of discontentment; it fills my throat and floods my brain. Sometimes I fear there's no longer a dream but only the discontentment.

Quote Originally Posted by y2kyle89 View Post
    Nothing wrong with it, I was just trying to make an amusing observation.

So; Naruto: proving you can make a "zombie war" seem boring.
    I just don't understand it. How can a war where apparently hundreds of thousands of ninja have died be so lifeless, uninteresting and emotionally detached? How is it possible to be such a bad writer?

Why must EVERY interesting topic be exiled from this thread dangit? Besides, it's sorta relevant. A comparison on how Naruto treats romance to other manga. I even mentioned it.
    Because of this thread's history, it pretty much demands zero tolerance whenever it starts going on about other series for more than two posts at a time. I know Naruto sucks. So stop talking about it and let the thread die like it deserves.

Like I said. make a new topic about the subject if you want to keep talking about it.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The fact that we even had these zombies to begin with should've been a warning sign. Not only does it expose how limited and lazy Kishimoto's world-building is if he has to revisit most of the previous villains instead of coming up with new, credible threats, but then he has to retroactively muddy some of the characters who had escaped Naruto's decline (Zabuza and Haku, obviously).

And let's not even get into how much of a disgrace the other Swordsmen of the Mist turned out (only a few of them actually had swords, and were all apparently taken out off screen, without much trouble).
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

I swear Kishi at this point is just starting things so the anime and games can fill them out. "I don't need to bother showing this fight, other people who actually care can do that."

Yeah, the anime will probably show people dying in a more caring and emotional way like the One Piece war did. Or maybe they won't.

I'm gonna reread the original Naruto.
    The one that had me obsessed 3 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper King View Post
    I'm gonna reread the original Naruto.
    The one that had me obsessed 3 years ago.
    You do that. Then come back and report what you found.
    The cunning ones kneel before six masters, but serve only one.

I just don't understand it. How can a war where apparently hundreds of thousands of ninja have died be so lifeless, uninteresting and emotionally detached? How is it possible to be such a bad writer?
    I've already provided what I think is the most likely reason. You know why people love Gurren Lagann so much? Because all of the PASSION that was put into making it. The same is true of One Piece, Negima, Berserk, Fullmetal Alchemist and pretty much every other great manga series I've read (except maybe HxH but anyway). Even Naruto part one, I would have to say Kishi was trying that's why it was good. It's just common sense, the more effort is put into making the series, the better it is. Not just manga, but other entertainment I love such as Avatar:The Last Airbender, Harry Potter and Joss Whedon shows. Writers who care, can make their series good.

This is DEFINITELY not one of those cases. It's very obvious Kishi is extremely apathetic to this war. He doesn't care and he's barely trying. So if he doesn't give a damn, why should we? We're the few, the intelligent, who know that this war is crap, since most of the Naruto fanbase are still eating this war up, some of them think this is the best arc Kishi has ever done.

I think that's all I need to say on the matter. What the hell is wrong with otaku?
    My Hero Academia is my favorite manga series right now. At least so long as the high of its greatness remains. United States of Smash.

Summary
    Well, looks like plenty of dialogue between Naruto and the Kyuubi. Bit of a surprise. Kyuubi telling Naruto how he'll end up like Nagato and Naruto obviously refuting that claim saying how he'll deal with the war and Sasuke

Yeah! A useless and boring flashback chapter! It's been a while!

* pukes *

So, a flashback that further "develops" the bromance between Naruto and Sasuke.

Oh Kishi. How you can continue to fail so fucking hard will forever be a mystery to me.

I swear everytime Kishi makes new picture of Kyuubi it looks more and more like badly drawn fat rabbit instead of gigantic ferocious demon fox... and looks like its another preachy Naruto/Sasuke chapter... best thing to happen in this series would be both Naruto and Sasuke dying quick and painful deaths.

Closed Thread

Thread Information