Closed Thread
Page 39 of 500 FirstFirst ... 29 37 38 39 40 41 49 89 139 ... LastLast

Thread: Bart Simpson Thread XI: The Movie - The Manga Adaption - The Animation

Default Re: Naruto Thread XI

Which is better in your opinion: Naruto's art, One Piece's art, or Bleach's art.

Is that even supposed to be a contest? One Piece is the best by far. Even when Naruto still had good art, back when Kishi cared, One Piece was better. And Kubo can only draw character designs (And "the air"), and even those have little variety

Well, in the beginning, I loved Naruto's art. I still do, but less.
    I like One Piece's art the most. Then Naruto.
    And I think Kubo could do really well if he wasn't so lazy.

Well, that's funny since I've seen people saying that One Piece's art looks unrealistic and would've been better if other author was the one who drew it.

Naruto used to have some really great art. I'd go as far as to say that I prefer early Naruto art to early One Piece art.

Like, all those great shots of the village.
    Spoiler:

And it used to have a great sense of motion and life in the action scenes.
    Spoiler:

The emotion I have toward present-Naruto is more pity than disgust or anger.

That's actually pretty debatable. Best art can be in consistency, character designs, playfulness, or any of the other gazillion traits we normally stick to manga. I'd say Bleach has some of the most absolutely gorgeous and stylized characters (even if they're similar) but has the worst backgrounds (none at all). Naruto's pretty consistent too, and the backgrounds (in earlier volumes) are more creative than Bleach's. But honestly, Bleach's backgrounds are a bit plain compared to anything else.

One Piece is fun to look at. Don't we all stare at Oda's artwork and smile like we were tripping?

One Piece doesn't have characters with normal body proportions, which is just Oda's style, but some people say it makes Naruto and Bleach better. I'm not trying to poke at Bleach, but One Piece does have that little creative... variation in design. Bleach may be more realistic with the similarities in faces, but for god's sake, recycling face templates is already obvious. Then you have the backgrounds drawn with a ruler. x.x

Honestly, when I consider art, I consider try to consider as many facets of art as I can. And One Piece just does it best in my opinion. Especially since Oda is actually doing most of the backgrounds in the first place, unlike Kubo who has 3 (I think) assistants and still has no backgrounds, which actually makes me wonder what his assistants actually do. And yeah early Naruto art was great, but I'd say the best in One Piece is better than the best in Naruto. Especially since Oda actively seeks to improve his art, whereas Kishi just stop caring ages ago

Default Assistants

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronrules380 View Post
    unlike Kubo who has 3 (I think) assistants and still has no backgrounds, which actually makes me wonder what his assistants actually do.
    They're the ones who actually draw the manga.

Yeah, I've considered that possibility. In fact, I imagine the typical work that goes into a chapter of Bleach is Kubo getting high and telling his assistants any idiotic idea that comes to his head while he is high

My commentary on the art:

One Piece's art started out as somewhat generic and barren, but it evolved greatly over time, and the inclusion of its heavy use of crosshatching and lineshading went a long way towards giving the pictures depth and its unique look. The action sequences are pretty dynamic, and the backgrounds have gone from ''functional, but kind of boring'' to some of the most complex and detailed sights I've seen in a currently-serialized manga. I think Oda's big flaw with his art though, is his tendency to cram so much into certain panels, sometimes making it hard to pick out what's happening in a particularly busy one. Also, he relies on double page spreads more than most author's I've seen, which isn't inherently bad, but he picks a lot of panel layouts that, while maybe looking good for a rough draft or a scanlation page, are very volume-unfriendly since they weren't drawn with the effect of the page crease down the middle taken into account, and there are numerous spreads that could've worked perfectly fine as two seperate pages, without even needing to be reformatted any.

Naruto's art was very rough around the edges in the beginning, but it did have a lot of energy to it. And then everything started to fall apart around the Tsunade arc. Artists are always finding ways to streamline the drawing process, but usually that doesn't result in such a huge loss in detail, and the panel layout was atrocious by the end of Part 1. That's improved since then, but the character models have decayed so much that regardless of how much passion Kishimoto may put into the art, it looks lazy and stiff.

Bleach's art was also somewhat rough in the beginning, but his art soon picked up a decent amount of stylization, and he can come up with some good monster designs when he tries. The problem is that the art eventually fell victim to style over substance, and the awkward panelling and the disappearing backgrounds really hurt the story, as light as it is. The man can draw, he just doesn't apply himself.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

I wish I could be an assistant for Kubo. Get paid to do nothing. Maybe occasionally get the honor of spilling ink on a page for him. Or drawing walls or magical perspective-warping doors (that was easily the most fail I've seen with perspective out of the "Big Three" I think) to remind people that such things exist in the vapid "air"y Bleachverse.

Anyway, on the art issue, Naruto part 1 had nice art that I'd say was about even with OP. Sometimes one was much better, sometimes the other. However OP improved over time. But as of part 2, even some of part 1, Kishi's laziness has resulted in some flat out fugly art at times, and the quality is consistently lower than OP. Suigetsu cosplaying Sakura. Really lazy and flat looking shots of characters and/or their faces. And a certain blocky, clay-ish look to the characters' bodies a fair amount of the time.

Bleach shouldn't even be mentioned. Yes, the initial like 3 character designs that everyone else is based off from are nice, but there is so much recycling in Bleach (aside from the monsters as Crossword mentioned; barring Gillians). Not just the character designs either, but the poses too. Especially the favorite of that mentally addled excuse for a mangaka: the back attack pose. Why KishiKubo has a need to reuse that pose every 3 chapters is beyond me. There's the Aizen pose he recycled for Ginjou, Ichigo's speech pose, etc. And the lack of backgrounds with the asinine excuse of "drawing" "air".

Edit: I will cut Kubo some slack and agree with Crossword in that Kubo could do well if he applied himself. If he cut the laziness and did backgrounds and didn't reuse poses, I think I'd look past the similar character designs and legitimately like the art. He'd still have to get over the style over substance thinking that's wrecked the story, but looking at Zombie Powder, he can do well when he tries.
    Last edited by loledinmypants; May 6th, 2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Crossword reminds me Kubo can do monsters. urk, fixed mistake kareem pointed out

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronrules380 View Post
    That's like your trademark now?
    @KaizokuOLuffy Which has the best art? Is that even a contest?
    Edit: Ah, I see Aaron already took care of that one for me.

Edit 2: @Loledinmypants Then again, you would have to put up with Kubo. Is it really worth it? Also, you called Kubo, Kishi at one point, but then again are they really all that different? Both lazy and overrated. Also I think I agree with the statement that the art is probably the best thing in Bleach, and that's sad because Kubo doesn't even fully apply himself to that.
    Last edited by Kareem Said; May 6th, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
    My Hero Academia is my favorite manga series right now. At least so long as the high of its greatness remains. United States of Smash.

Quote Originally Posted by Kareem Said View Post
    @Loledinmypants Then again, you would have to put up with Kubo. Is it really worth it? Also, you called Kubo, Kishi at one point, but then again are they really all that different? Both lazy and overrated. Also I think I agree with the statement that the art is probably the best thing in Bleach, and that's sad because Kubo doesn't even fully apply himself to that.
    Fixed the mistake. And if Kubo made Felch look good by at least applying himself to the art, I'd have less distracting me from being amused by the terrible storytelling and his ass-backwards logic behind his interview answers. But really Kubo needs to either get into storyboarding (which is what some of his drawn out crap looks more like than an actual manga) or keep to shorter stories (Zombie Powder's like 4 finished volumes were promising, I think the first dozen volumes of Bleach still fell into the decent part of the story). And that's on top of fixing the lazy art.
    In fact, Kishi could probably do best at something similar, although Kishi needs the shorter stories to keep his interest so the quality stays up, whereas Kubo needs shorter stories to keep from screwing up. And for Kishi, I'd recommend not giving himself so much ground to cover in the story. Yes, Naruto part 1 was cool in that we expected and to a degree got to see a lot of the concepts and characters he introduced, but I think he could have simplified it and gotten to the end faster. Like take out the Akatsuki and make Itachi and Oro independent entities. Much less ground to cover from that alone. And he could have kept it at just Naruto and Gaara having tailed beasts like part 1 lead you to believe.
    Despite all that, I realize both of the above mangaka kept forcing things along because they could, it got them money, and quite possibly because Shueisha wanted to keep milking the cash cow.

Does anyone here reads Ushio-Tora as well? I just found out that the manga had ended n went to read it. The final boss is of course the Hakumen no Mono, the nine-tailed fox/beast. And as I read it, I cant help but think "If only the Kyuubi was like this". The final battle was huge and grand, against the most powerful Youkai of all. Unlike the "fight" we get between Naruto and the Kyuubi. Hakumen's design was amazing (tho the author's drawing style has much to do to it), each of his 9 tails were given a name and each with their own specific purpose.

Anyway, I'll try to find their images n compare em (the early and last designs)

Quote Originally Posted by ponx View Post
    Does anyone here reads Ushio-Tora as well? I just found out that the manga had ended n went to read it. The final boss is of course the Hakumen no Mono, the nine-tailed fox/beast. And as I read it, I cant help but think "If only the Kyuubi was like this". The final battle was huge and grand, against the most powerful Youkai of all. Unlike the "fight" we get between Naruto and the Kyuubi. Hakumen's design was amazing (tho the author's drawing style has much to do to it), each of his 9 tails were given a name and each with their own specific purpose.

Anyway, I'll try to find their images n compare em (the early and last designs)
    its want of my favorite manga..
    and yes naruto's kyubi is nothing compare to Hakumen no Mono.

And to think that the people over at NarutoForums are seriously discussing this series.

Anyone has that awesome gif with Saucegay dodging bullets from a cowboy ?

In any Naruto/bleach/One Piece art discussion, people should all just go and read OP chapter 606.

Then laugh their asses off at the notion that the other two can even compare anymore.

Hell, even Viz doesn't like Naruto's art, I think.
    In the back of June/July Shonen Jump, before the rewind thingy, it says, "REMEMBER WHEN NARUTO LOOKED LIKE THIS?"
    And it shows a picture of the good old day s. :D

Closed Thread

Thread Information