Closed Thread
Page 258 of 500 FirstFirst ... 158 208 248 256 257 258 259 260 268 308 358 ... LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,160 of 10000

Thread: Bart Simpson Thread XI: The Movie - The Manga Adaption - The Animation

Default Re: Naruto Thread XI: Tom Bombadill

If you want something with amazing prose and a wacky "fantasy" world, i would suggest the Book of the New Sun series from Gene Wolfe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I want everyone to note, in about ten minutes of time, a Bosnian, a Saudi Arabian, an American, and a Brazilian all sat around millions of miles away from eachother discussing rubber pirate comic books from Japan.

You've all had your 21st Century moment for the day, carry one.

Default Re: Naruto Thread XI: One week more

Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    World building is one of the things Jordan definitely gets right, maybe to the detriment of his characters sometimes.
    And the pacing...like from around book 5 to beyond. Dear god this guy got obsessed with details in his settings.

Quote Originally Posted by valiantt View Post
    And the pacing...like from around book 5 to beyond. Dear god this guy got obsessed with details in his settings.
    I completely agree. I just gave up on finishing the series because it was so bloated in the worst ways. Especially considering how short the time of the series actually is. (and the absurdity of the things that happen in such a short time)

I was talking about The Warded Man by Brett. I didn't get past the first book, it was pretty plain and tried too hard to be edgy.

But now that you mention it, I do think the themes in Lord of the Rings are a bit dated. Still, it's not a bad series, even if the writing is ponderous at times. The Hobbit aged better imo.

I'm in the beginning of A Crown of Swords right now and have been since around may.

Well, you got that far. I never made it past the first page. The mere thought of having to go through 13 door-stoppers when the first page doesn't capture your imagination is overwhelming.

I'm in the beginning of A Crown of Swords right now and have been since around may.
    I applaud your determination. I stopped at the 5th I think when all the female character clones all had names starting with A or E.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan D. Funk View Post
    Lord of the Rings's style makes much more sense once you've read some Anglo-Saxon poetry, particularly Beowulf.
    I fucking love Beowulf. Especially after having read it again a couple years ago in my college's English Lit class.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Femme View Post
    I applaud your determination. I stopped at the 5th I think when all the female character clones all had names starting with A or E.
    I didn't want to say it, but female characters are by far Jordan's biggest weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Sen View Post
    Well, you got that far. I never made it past the first page. The mere thought of having to go through 13 door-stoppers when the first page doesn't capture your imagination is overwhelming.
    The first 3 books are amazing though. First page or chapter might not grab you, but the story gets really really good a few chapters in.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

I didn't want to say it, but female characters are by far Jordan's biggest weakness.
    No shame in stating the obvious! Jordan did not do well with female characters at all. All the female characters I liked in the beginning I ended up hating.
    Hidden:

To be fair, when I tried to read WoT the first time, I was the type of guy who would doggedly finish a series no matter how much it'd make me want to kill myself. I finished a few anime series without subtitles just to make them more interesting. I'd be less apprehensive to start it today. (Not that I'm particularly interested.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sen View Post
    To be fair, when I tried to read WoT the first time, I was the type of guy who would doggedly finish a series no matter how much it'd make me want to kill myself. I finished a few anime series without subtitles just to make them more interesting. I'd be less apprehensive to start it today. (Not that I'm particularly interested.)
    No joke, this will be the first fantasy series I started without finishing, unless I can somehow convince myself to.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmamentHero View Post
    The Mazerunner series is a very good series. The story progression, the characters, and the pace of it is quite suspenseful. The world building is sort of shaky at times, but it ultimately matches the overall theme of the series.
    Imho, Mazerunner stops being interesting after Book 1. Then it just becomes really dumb. 3rd book is slightly better, but still far from being entertaining.

Playing an endlessly irritating guessing game about whether Teresa is a unfortunate puppet or just a plain manipulative asshole is not really the same "mystery" and "suspense" as the kind found in Book 1. It's disappointing.

At one point while I was writing all of this it all got deleted and I had to type it all up again after a busy work day because "Restore Comment" gave me a giant middle finger...

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Plenty of stories take characters through twists, turns, loves, losses, and developments, some of completely out of their hands or unexpected (oh, Kefka blew up the world!) and it all seems natural and like a proper progression, and those big things will shape the plot yes, and what the characters do next.... but it shouldn't singlehandedly shape the characters.

Story elements get thrown at characters, and that's the plot. How they react and change to whatever random thing a story presents, is where the character comes in.
    This is a very true and extremely interesting because it makes me question whether Sasuke's responses to the "twists, turns, loves, losses, and developments" in the story have been an appropiate and natural response as demonstrated by other characters in other works and mangas. Has Sasuke's progression been a natural development or was it all just "for the sake of the plot"? I do not believe Sasuke was evil because the story simply demanded it, anymore than Vegeta was evil and then good because the story demanded it. Sasuke is just simply not the exact same person he was 3 years ago because as things changed so did his goals.

Hidden:
    You believe that Sasuke is the exact same as he was before but in their previous battle you have to remember that he spared Naruto's life in the end. The fact is he wasn't turning evil just because reasons...

Hidden:
    He was holding on to his humanity and he eventuall slipped. Do you believe he would have spared Naruto's life if he won the current battle? Absolutely not. There are some obvious changes and developments that took this little boy bent on justified vengeance against one man and turned him into a young man that would even sever the closest thing he has to a friend to create his version of peace in this world. A young man influenced by his older brother who did something very similar for Sasuke's sake. Yes, there are plenty of similarities to the Sasuke of old and the current Sasuke. That is no surprise because it's the same person. How much did Goku or Gohan change from the beginning until the end? Yeah, they took on more responsibility as the defenders of earth but at heart they were the same people. Sasuke has taken on a measure of responsibility but he's still the moody violent guy who approaches problems with his sword first rather than diplomacy.

But I think the main problem is people just believe Sasuke wakes up one day and decides to change his mind on everything which is false. Why did Sasuke want to destroy Konoha after he learned about Itachi and what he did for Konoha? Well, the Konoha government assigned his brother to commit genocide on his own clan, branded him as a traitor, and knowing all of this the elders did nothing while Sasuke grew hate like an infestation in his heart and dedicated his life to murdering his brother. I think Sasuke has some right to be peeved at the village.

Hidden:
    So yeah, after Sasuke learned the truth he wanted to destroy Konoha and furthermore...that wasn't even a change of mind. At that point his brother was already dead so in fact it was just his next goal. Why did he change his mind from there though and decide to help the village then? Because before all he heard of the incident was from outsiders. He then got to hear it straight from his brother who he was now talking with on an equal basis with no lies between them and that had a HUGE sentimental impact.

Hidden:
    Still, even then he didn't change his mind about attacking Konoha until he talked with all the past Hokages and learned even more about the deeper feud between the Uchiha and the Senju.

Hidden:
    Only then did he change his mind about destroying Konoha and at that point it's not like he was in the middle of an attack and decided to stop and help rebuild the village. He hadn't even touched a hair on Konoha. Nagato's switcharoo, now that was a change of mind purely for plot purposes. Of course, we all know what happens after Sasuke is finished lending a hand to the Shinobi Alliance. Sasuke wants to become Hokage and start a "Revolution" and now he has to kill Naruto, the only man standing in his way! Was the final battle kinda forced? Yes. Was it predictable? Yes. Was it a complete change of attitude on Sasuke's part? No, not really.

This is chapter 635.

Hidden:
    Which happened only 8 chapters after he said this.

Hidden:
    Yeah, Sasuke's "Revolution" was his plan all along from the very start of him joining the war. Kishi foreshadowed Sasuke's "turn" 57 chapters (techically 65 chapters) before he said it outright. Making sure his brother and the village didn't go to waste was not switched out for "Revolution!" In Sasuke's mind, his "Revolution" was following in the steps of his brother in shouldering people's hate to ensure peace. Someone he truly thought was the embodiment of Hokage.

Hidden:
    It was never 'Sasuke + Naruto fighting together must mean Sasuke is a super good guy now! Oh wait, now Sasuke is fighting against Naruto he just flipped out of nowhere and turned totally evil!!!' Those were his intentions from the start. Also, It's not like Naruto defeated Kaguya all by himself and proved he was the strongest and his way was the right way. Naruto AND Sasuke used their new powers to defeat Kaguya together and they gained their powers on giving 2 separate answers to the Sage of 6 Paths.

Hidden:
    They were headed 2 seperate ways the entire time and in the end they came to a head. Their final clash wasn't just to settle their long feud but also to see whose answer and strength in ideals would prevail. Sasuke was convinced because even at that final moment Naruto still did not try to kill Sasuke when Sasuke sure as hell was trying to kill him, and yet Sasuke still couldn't win. As a result he gave into Naruto's guts/resolve. You could call it is sappy and you'd be right.

Hidden:
    The resolve bit is kind of like what happened in between Madara and Hashirama.

Hidden:
    Inb4 "Ha! See Kishi is trying to redeem Madara like Kishi is trying to redeem Sasuke! Similar fates!" Untrue.

Anyway, when I say something like this.

http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread...=1#post3317475

I'm saying it in a joking manner but with some truth behind it. There is some flip-flopping going on but that's only because as the story progresses so does Sasuke's character develop as his goals naturally change according to the situation (see first lines of post). And Naruto finally knocked some sense into him.
    Everything's Eventual...

Sasuke had character development. He developed into a shittier character.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Hermit View Post
    Sasuke had character development. He developed into a shittier character.
    Haha.

Hey, NaruHina.

I completely agree. I just gave up on finishing the series because it was so bloated in the worst ways. Especially considering how short the time of the series actually is. (and the absurdity of the things that happen in such a short time)
    The pacign fixed itself after Jordan died and Brandon Sanderson took over. The last 3 books are pretty good and move at a good clip.

However, having re-marathoned the entire thing prior to the final book's release, man... the last books Jordan wrote were just soooo bloated. Its at its worst when it eventually spends several hundred pages just covering a single day from like 18 different viewpoints.

And yes, he had problems with female characters, which is odd given a full half the story was flat out built around them.

All in all, I'd say if you've already gotten several books into the series, its worth the slog to finish... especially now that the books are *written* and the middle can be read through or skimmed quickly instead of taking years... but if you've never touched the series at all, its hard to recommend even with the strong start and ending.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

So guys, what do you think was the absolute rock bottom of this manga? The lowest of all terrible low points?

For me it was the reveal of Kaguya. I literally had to double-take when I heard about her and then confirm it because I couldn't believe that Kishi could something so dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    So guys, what do you think was the absolute rock bottom of this manga? The lowest of all terrible low points?

For me it was the reveal of Kaguya. I literally had to double-take when I heard about her and then confirm it because I couldn't believe that Kishi could something so dumb.
    The only time when I said to myself, "God Kishi has some really lazy ass tendencies and isn't just getting less talented." Was at the end of the first night of the war when we got the silly ass death count. Basically the whole format of the war was terrible and it was terrible because he was ready to end the manga. (even if it ended up taking forever)

Pretty much everything about Obito. From his ridiculous motive for turning evil, to his equally ridiculous redemption, he's just plain awful all around.

Hidden:

Closed Thread

Thread Information