Closed Thread
Page 257 of 500 FirstFirst ... 157 207 247 255 256 257 258 259 267 307 357 ... LastLast
Results 5,121 to 5,140 of 10000

Thread: Bart Simpson Thread XI: The Movie - The Manga Adaption - The Animation

Default Re: Naruto Thread XI: One week more

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Hobbit is an easier read than LotR to be sure. LotR is interesting to read, I finally got through it a couple years ago after trying for most of my life... and I doubt I'll ever attempt to reread it again anytime soon. Just too dry for me. Maybe I'll be ready for it in my 40's.

(And for whatever nonsense changes Peter Jackson made in the movies, or important elements or things he missed that hardcore fans hate him for.... a lot of things he did for the sake of pacing and momentum and characterization and overall storytelling and I agree with them)
    Would you say the movies are better than the books ?

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    Speaking for Lord of The Rings, the songs are awful. And kill the pacing. Every. time.

Also fuck Tom Bombadil.
    Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
    Ring a dong! hop along! Fal lal the willow!
    Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

I actually found him charming in his appearance. Think he's never appearing again in the story, so I think I could see why his tale is a time suck, but he was interesting to me than learning about the Hobbit lineage anyways.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what he’s lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Quote Originally Posted by Doffy. D Evil View Post
    Would you say the movies are better than the books ?
    In some ways, absolutely. In others, maybe not. The movies are better about telling the main story and making you feel for the characters. The books are better about telling you the world and the history.

Still have to withold final judgement on Hobbit till the last film comes out, but it's almost certainly weaker than the book given the excessive padding. (As two films it would have been great probably. A four hour runtime would have been pretty excellent. As three films going into 9-10 hour territory its just too stretched.)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    [/I]I actually found him charming in his appearance. Think he's never appearing again in the story, so I think I could see why his tale is a time suck, but he was interesting to me than learning about the Hobbit lineage anyways.
    He also downplays the potency of the ring and destroys any sense of urgency about 10 minutes after the story finally starts up and the characters start having some danger and threat.

He would have been fine as a stopover in the Hobbit which was all short adventures anyway, but LotR he breaks the narrative flow quite a bit.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!
    Ring a dong! hop along! Fal lal the willow!
    Tom Bom, jolly Tom, Tom Bombadillo!

I actually found him charming in his appearance. Think he's never appearing again in the story, so I think I could see why his tale is a time suck, but he was interesting to me than learning about the Hobbit lineage anyways.
    ...I hate you...

I enjoyed reading Silmarilion, Hobbit and Trilogy. But with all the world history and lore, it felt weird that the war for the fate of the world was centered in a relatively small area. Other kingdoms were mentioned more as cameos. Even those 2 blue wizards that went to east were never mentioned again.

Feels lacking in retrospect, now that I've read R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing, Guy Gavriel Kay's works, Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy, Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Thorn and Shadowmarch, Songs of Ice and Fire...

But then again LoTR might have turned out a little different and probably more complex if Tolkien was writing it in this age. Talking about plot now, not everything else he came up with as a background.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

The Mazerunner series is a very good series. The story progression, the characters, and the pace of it is quite suspenseful. The world building is sort of shaky at times, but it ultimately matches the overall theme of the series.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Watched the movie last week. Was pleasantly surprised.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

Naruto Thread XI: Of fantasy worldbuilding and Tom Bombadil...oh and Naruto's ending next week I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Razh View Post
    Watched the movie last week. Was pleasantly surprised.
    Man, I wanna see that movie as well! >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    Naruto Thread XI: Of fantasy worldbuilding and Tom Bombadil...oh and Naruto's ending next week I guess.
    Well, we did talked about pretty much everything w could from the latest chapter and any talks about previous chapters and characters would end in rephrasing what has been said already which is mostly eyerolling, facepalming, defending the show, arguing why what is how bad/good, etc. So it makes sense to talk about Tom Bombadil. :P

Talking about random unrelated suff is a time-honored tradition of the Naruto threads. In the olden times, people used to talk about Fist of the North Star and pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Sander View Post
    Talking about random unrelated suff is a time-honored tradition of the Naruto threads. In the olden times, people used to talk about Fist of the North Star and pizza.
    Here’s how Naruto should end: Last panel is Naruto standing proudly over Konohagakure. Slowly zoom out to reveal Luffy staring into a snowglobe with a miniature Konoha inside it. Usopp asks him what he’s doing. Luffy replies “Thinkin’ bout ninjas! Ninjas are cool!” and then chucks it off the ship

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Default Re: Naruto Thread XI: Tom Bombadill

So the whole reason for kaguya was just to create a filler villain for the movie, and to squeeze more money at the end, kishi threw in the romance plot, which should have been done in the actual manga in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    So the whole reason for kaguya was just to create a filler villain for the movie, and to squeeze more money at the end, kishi threw in the romance plot, which should have been done in the actual manga in the first place.
    To be fair, the anime and games kept track of the Hinata subplot more than he did anyway. In the actual 700 chapter series their entire relationship is maybe 12 pages long. (A little more if you count fighting Neji at the chunin exams)
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Now that I think about it the Old Forest actually was the slowest part of the novel.

As for Tolkien's intent in creating the world, he wanted a honest to goodness British myth to have, seeing as they are few and far between. He was in love with old lore and linquistics, which is probably why some (a couple posts above) feel like it's a combination of a bunch of myths. I for one can get lost in it all (in a good way).

As for film changes/cuts I also agree... somewhat. Pacing decisions are well made as well as useless details being thrown out (such as the fact that 10+ years pass between Gandalf giving Frodo the Ring, and him returning to the Shire), but I can't help but want to see more of it in video format, as a fan.

Also, different strands of pipe weed are indeed important! How else could we have understood the significance of Meriadoc Brandybuck's life choices post-war! (the family trees are a bit over zealous however)

3DS: 1993-7490-6080 NNID: Mickamott PSN: Mickamott

Has anyone heard of the "Warded Man?" It's such a great story, of course my thoughts on it's world building is charming because it's got the darkest of themes.

I found it to be a pretty average fantasy novel tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by Sen View Post
    You mean in content, or quality?

Content wise I understand, since it laid the basis for modern fantasy. Quality wise, hell no.
    Last edited by Mickamott; October 31st, 2014 at 07:26 PM.

3DS: 1993-7490-6080 NNID: Mickamott PSN: Mickamott

Quote Originally Posted by Sen View Post
    Given that it came out sixty years ago (and the Hobbit nearly 80) and basically created the modern fantasy genre and nearly everyone has aped it since then, of course it seems "average", everyone has ripped it off to no end.

Hell, modern elves and dwarves in almost any media you look at are pretty much fully formed from Tolkiens'... right down to using "v" instead of "f" in the name.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    (I wish I could say Wheel of Time yet I'm still a long way away from being able to start it)
    World building is one of the things Jordan definitely gets right, maybe to the detriment of his characters sometimes.

Lord of the Rings's style makes much more sense once you've read some Anglo-Saxon poetry, particularly Beowulf.

Closed Thread

Thread Information