+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Yu-Gi-Oh! US Deal Terminated - 4Kids Sued For Millions

Default Yu-Gi-Oh! US Deal Terminated - 4Kids Sued For Millions

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...deal-sue-4kids

March 24, TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems filed a joint lawsuit against North American media distributor 4Kids Entertainment, accusing the company of "underpayments, wrongful deductions, and unmet obligations" and stating that 4Kids now owes the companies US$4,792,460.36. The Hollywood Reporter website also states that the two companies have terminated their deal with 4Kids.

According to the documents filed by the plaintiffs, the companies conducted an audit on 4Kids' Yu-Gi-Oh! business per their licensing agreement. This audit allegedly uncovered the aforementioned underpayments, as well as a "secret" agreement with Funimation, allowing them to "exploit" the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise via home video and hide the added income from the plaintiffs. By hiding this income, TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems allege that 4Kids was able to pay them a smaller share than would otherwise have been owed to them. The complaint further alleges that 4Kids attempted to hide the secret deal rather than disclosing it as required by their licensing agreement.

Funimation is not listed as a defendant in the complaint.

Update: According to TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems, the terms of their agreement with 4Kids were such that they would be paid 50% of 4Kids' gross income derived from the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise. The agreement also allowed 4Kids to enter into licensing agreements for the home video rights for the franchise, provided that they use "customary forms of license agreements."

The plaintiffs allege that 4Kids entered into an agreement with Funimation on March 1, 2002, which granted Funimation "broad right to exploit" the franchise and would pay 4Kids a royalty of 20% of its gross receipts. The plaintiffs then allege that on the same day, the two North American companies entered into a "secret" second agreement for Yu-Gi-Oh! and other titles, under which Funimation undertook the majority of the work releasing home video products and paid 4Kids a US$1.3 million advance and a "service fee" for each sale.

According to the complaint, this service fee added up to US$3.934 million and was not reported as income in 4Kids' quarterly reports. As such, the Japanese companies were not paid royalties from this "kick back."

The complaint further alleges that 4Kids entered into a similar deal with Majesco Entertainment to create Yu-Gi-Oh! videos to be played on Nintendo's Gameboy Advanced portable videogame console. Under this deal, 4Kids paid royalties on the US$366,667 advance paid by Majesco, but reported its $1 kick back per video sold as a service fee, not as income, and did not pay royalties on it.
    Oh Boy.......

I hope Funi gets out of this one....

Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! US Deal Terminated - 4Kids Sued For Millions

So....wait. They're suing for something that happened 8 years ago, or something they've actually been completely unaware of for 8 years now.

Hopefully a better dub company gets YGO now.

Wait so they lost the licence? That would be amazing if that is the case...

3DS Friend Code is 3823-8664-3087

Apparently so.

I wish FUNi would pick it up, although I'm not sure if they would be able to under these circumstances. They aren't affected by this lawsuit, but they do seem to be somewhat involved.

Quote Originally Posted by SonPan View Post
    Wait so they lost the licence? That would be amazing if that is the case...

Yup, up there in the Title Mr/Ms.

Does it really matter? The show ended years ago, everyone knows 4Kids sucks for a variety of reasons, and its not like it would get a redub even at a new company.

I guess there's whatever the upcoming fourth anime series is called.

I think LittleKuriboh is somehow responsible for all this.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

It's still possible for a redub. It's not as popular, but still popular enough. Also, 5D's is new enough for them to try and work with.

This is incredible. I hope FUNi gets the series now but I'm thinking it's more likely to go to Viz.

Power of a hippo! Kaba Kaba Fruit's Avatar

This has to be the very definition of Karma. Who'd have thought 4Kids would get it so hard in the end?

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbad456 View Post
    This is incredible. I hope FUNi gets the series now but I'm thinking it's more likely to go to Viz.
    This could end up being ugly for FUNimation even if it's proven they had no idea what 4kids was doing. Studios may start to stand clear of them after finding out they were a part of something like this, even if indirectly.

I was wondering why that constant hammering sound I always hear finally stopped, guess they got the final nail into 4kids coffin. $5 million is one thing, but they just lost their main source of income with YGO.

Quote Originally Posted by Buuhan1 View Post
    This could end up being ugly for FUNimation even if it's proven they had no idea what 4kids was doing. Studios may start to stand clear of them after finding out they were a part of something like this, even if indirectly.

I was wondering why that constant hammering sound I always hear finally stopped, guess they got the final nail into 4kids coffin. $5 million is one thing, but they just lost their main source of income with YGO.
    You're probably right. And in the worst-case scenario, this could cause FUNi to lose some of their series(Like One Piece or DBZ).

I hope Yugioh sinks with the ship and no one picks it up. There's a ton more better shit out there that has not even been localized yet.

I don't think FUNimation would be brought to task here considering that they were mostly commissioned from 4Kids to simply print DVDs for Yu-Gi-Oh! and their other properties. They had no hand in hiding 4Kids' earnings. For FUNimation to be accused of doing so would make them a victim of a witch hunt being perpetrated by TV Tokyo and Nihon Ad Systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    I hope Yugioh sinks with the ship and no one picks it up. There's a ton more better shit out there that has not even been localized yet.
    There are still fans that disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopperrules View Post
    Don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopperrules View Post
    While I like Yugioh 5D's last I watched it, I agree it'd be good to go ahead and try to let the series end with that in the states instead of dragging it out until it becomes a piece of crap. Of course, I honestly just feel it's Yugioh's time to come to an end instead of constantly being extended at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy
    Don't care.
    Dude, it's not like the anime came into your house at night and murdered your entire family. Chill. If some people want it for the nostalgia, let them petition.

If anything, maybe the YGO franchise should just move to Canada and be dubbed alongside Beyblade and Bakugan. The former in particular has a good dub and I could see it continuing in some fashion. (considering that at least for the most part toy-etic franchises are better made there than here)

Yeah many don't consider it "real anime" but the toyetic shows are still anime regardless.
    Y'know, Negima WAS awesome...
    For the first 18 volumes.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    Don't care.
    Bet you would if it was a series you like. Try being more respectable for a change.

To be honest, I don't care as much about the new upcoming ZeXal as I do about the previous three series. I'd really like to see them get a redub. Those of you who haven't seen the original don't know how different they are. Well, not so much GX as the other two, although a lot of things were changed in GX as well.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information