+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Yu-Gi-Oh! US Deal Terminated - 4Kids Sued For Millions

Default Re: Yu-Gi-Oh! US Deal Terminated - 4Kids Sued For Millions

I would approve of LK's voices if he tried to make them just slightly less parody goofy and more serious. Although I guess Pegasus is meant to sound like that, lol.

And I'm not really trying to attack Hiroy, but just come on. I just wish people would respect other's opinions more, is all.

^I just simply stated I would rather see the series sink. Respecting opinions has absolutely nothing to do with it. Blame yourself for disagreeing with my stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Kaba Fruit View Post
    What do you have against Yu-Gi-Oh! anyway?
    Nothin. I just don't see the point of re-dubbing something that was already a success to begin with. Maybe a company can pick it up to continue it, but other than that it's a big waste of time.

Remember how much a flop the uncut sets of Yugioh were? Yeah, some loyal fans they were.

I really hope 5D's gets redubbed more than the rest since it didnt even finish and was prob the worst dub of the three... (it's ending this week!!).
    Also, with a new licence, GX's season 4 could finally be dubbed... but I really hope FUNi doesnt get in trouble for this, even though they could technically not know anything about these alligations.

Edit: Hiroy: I will admit that DM was pretty okay, only cause the voices were actually good (Dan GREEN), but seriously other than that, compared to the original it still had signifigant changes that changed the stories, and made it make no sense. But 5D's really had the worst of it...
    Loyal fans? Tell me how many of the loyal fans actually knew about these uncut dvds. I mean they werent even that good and were so rare. Plus they were so many years ago.

3DS Friend Code is 3823-8664-3087

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    ^I just simply stated I would rather see the series sink. Respecting opinions has absolutely nothing to do with it. Blame yourself for disagreeing with my stance.

Nothin. I just don't see the point of re-dubbing something that was already a success to begin with. Maybe a company can pick it up to continue it, but other than that it's a big waste of time.

Remember how much a flop the uncut sets of Yugioh were? Yeah, some loyal fans they were.
    It does, though. I realize you're stating your opinion, so I'm in the wrong for being hypocritical. But just shooting down the idea of a redub like that is kind of disrespectful to us fans who still support it. Or rather, instead of saying "shoot it down", try to be a little more respectful about it. Well, anyway...

The uncut sets were a flop because of poor advertising and the fact that they were released with 3 episodes a set at the exact same price as any other anime DVD. If you were just a casual anime fan looking for something new, would you want to pick that up?

On the other hand, had they released season sets or 12-13 episode sets like how FUNi and VIZ do things, the results would be better.

More than that, 4Kids didn't give a shit about it in the first place. They only did it because the fans were bitching. Then they half-assed it, got bad results and were like "DUR, I guess no one likes the original."

Long Live Osamu Tezuka!!! Justaway's Avatar

Knowing this the two of them will probably just settle or something.

Wait now, they didn't even air the last season of GX ?

Quote Originally Posted by Chopperrules View Post
    Or rather, instead of saying "shoot it down", try to be a little more respectful about it. Well, anyway...
    Changing a few words does little but sugarcoat. Anyway, I'm done with you.

Quote Originally Posted by SonPan View Post
    Edit: Hiroy: I will admit that DM was pretty okay, only cause the voices were actually good (Dan GREEN), but seriously other than that, compared to the original it still had signifigant changes that changed the stories, and made it make no sense. But 5D's really had the worst of it...
    If you say it was that bad, then fair enough. Still. I suppose I'll never fully understand the idea of sporting a full re-dub for a series that's out to sell a card game. Fans are fans, I guess.

IN a technical sense, the card game sprang up from the manga, the manga wasn't created to promote the card game. And since the anime was an adaption of the manga, its also a bit different. Not to say the manga didn't focus in on the card game because they thought it could sell merchandise though

All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    As long as LittleKuriboh does all the voices.
    I remember there was a fan dub floating around somewhere that tried to take the serious, actual, honest to God dub approach to the series and featured LK voicing Sugoroku (Yugi's Grandpa)

That whole thing had a short lifespan.

Wow, lol.

Was never a fan of 5Ds etcetera. Duel Academy was interesting whenever I watched it, but I don't think it's been as good as good old Yami/Yugi in the original series. It's all just gotten very formulaic. What's this new one coming out Zexal? or something.

I think it's fine if a company want to pick it up, but not fussed ona redub. If anything it'll probably go the One Piece route, with the stuff being continue-dubbed for TV, and then they'll bring out DVDs redubbed.

Wait are we talking redub of a partcular number of already completed episodes? Or redub of the whole series? Franchise, cus that ain't happening.
    Last edited by Flux; March 29th, 2011 at 05:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Aaronrules380 View Post
    IN a technical sense, the card game sprang up from the manga, the manga wasn't created to promote the card game. And since the anime was an adaption of the manga, its also a bit different. Not to say the manga didn't focus in on the card game because they thought it could sell merchandise though
    Well, the original idea was a dark and fucked up take on gambling. I'm assuming the series didn't get much attention until it started selling out. Hell, I'm sure that portion of the series isn't acknowledged(or considered canon) anymore due to the current user-base.

Probably true. Still 5Ds (Which make no mistake, was made to sell merchandise) is pretty entertaining in my opinion, and its definitely better than the original, even if its premise does sound rediculously idiotic.

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaba Kaba Fruit View Post
    may very well be the keystone that keeps the U.S. anime industry together!
    I don't understand why this is a good thing.

People have already pretty much killed the offline R1 industry by indulging in sites like CrunchyRoll, which don't do dubs, and the quality of modern dubs is so painfully bad nobody with any taste in voice acting would buy them. Many of the major R1 companies, like CPM, Geneon and ADV are already dead, even if FUNimation becomes the only R1 company, fundamentally it's operating on the same business model as those dead companies. If it survives, it's probably going to only have virtual properties and no longer dish out hard copy DVDs or Blu-Ray.

There isn't really any need for FUNimation to exist anymore, since the original Japanese companies in R2 are more than capable of hiring translators through an intermediate and streaming them. Like with Pokemon USA taking over all Pokemon related operations from 4Kids and Wizards of the Coast, it's only a matter of time before the middle-man is completely sloughed off.

I'm not very upset with this because I can't stand R1 DVDs, with their subdued dub track, pitiful voice overs and updated material from the TV version packed with offensive fanservice. But I can't say I'm not disappointed that people have already demonstrated, in more ways than one, that "quality" - production quality AND video quality - mean little to them and they're willing to settle for garbage like CrunchyRoll.

4Kids, for all its annoying antics, was somewhat submissive when it came to stopping proliferation of its properties. We've had some trouble recently with 5D's, but I got to watch the entire series subbed as late as last August. This could easily have been connected to it, as it's clear TV Tokyo has been taking a more proactive interest in YGO's fate overseas and pressuring 4Kids to comply.

I would rather have 4Kids' system, which formerly permitted subbed OP on YouTube (which people back five years ago oh so stupidly didn't realize was a blessing) rather than FUNimation identifying flagged torrent IPs and suing people for downloading One Piece. There's currently no defense against that kind of technology, so most people are going to either stop watching anime of be forced to swallow CrunchyRoll. I have standards, so I'm of the former - it's not like I have to watch an anime every season, I'm not that insecure. But it is a dang shame, like the cheapening of hardware tools since the 1940's, and even though I'm financially connected to FUNimation, I really would like to see it go away.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

That's where I disagree with you. It's not about standards of quality - it's about what's legal and illegal. And FUNi withdrew their charges against those people.

Hiroy, it's true the series are made for money and to support a card game, but there is actually a nice plot and set of characters behind that. And in my opinion, that's why many of the older fans stick around.
    Last edited by Chopperrules; March 29th, 2011 at 06:00 PM.

Power of a hippo! Kaba Kaba Fruit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy
    If there is significant demand for an uncut dub, then it wouldn't be a waste of time. If not, I'd settle for an uncut subbed release of Duel Monsters. I could care less about GX and 5Ds.
    Quote Originally Posted by SonPan
    Loyal fans? Tell me how many of the loyal fans actually knew about these uncut dvds. I mean they werent even that good and were so rare. Plus they were so many years ago.
    I'll never understand why people thought Dan Green was a great voice for Yugi. Don't get me wrong, Dan Green is a great guy and his other roles I've heard him in were awesome (N.M.E. salesman FTW) but he was laughable as Yugi and even he agreed that some parts of Yugi's voice didn't work (such as making Yami Yugi deep voiced). Besides Yugi is supposed to be a teenager so hearing Dan desperately trying to make little Yugi sound teen-like only shows that he was brought in to fill a voice role and not to give meaning behind that voice.

And don't get me started on Joey....

Malintex, I agree with you that the middle man clause is getting beyond ridiculous but as it stands, the majority of fans are gung-ho about FUNimation needing to stay alive in order to provide anime to the masses. To have all our anime online will be something the masses are just going to have to accept gradually.

Lady Gaga? Take notes. Rebecky_Mo's Avatar

Wow, and me without my popcorn. Hopefully Funimation doesn't get dragged down with the 4Kids ship. Guess Yu-Gi-Oh is officially off Toonzai now?

Quote Originally Posted by Tokoro Ataru View Post
    I say most of the kids anime should probably just be dubbed by the Canadians at this point. I mentioned before: Beyblade Metal Fusion is a completely Canadian dub and keeps all music and even is supported by one of the kids networks (can't remember if it's YTV or Teletoon...I know they're one and Bakugan is another...but Bakugan sucks so who cares about that) And there is also the Pretty Cure dub...but I don't know what's happened with that. (that's Canadian only though)

As long as there are still toy lines they want to bring over from Japan...and good anime (as well as not so good anime) to push them into the stores, the kids anime market will continue to be there.
    *is Canadian*

Actually, both Beyblade AND Bakugan are done by the same company, Nelvana (who brought many of us our childhoods via Care Bears, Rupert, Eek! The Cat, the most amusing Medabots dub, and 1000 other shows); and the associations go Beyblade/YTV and Bakugan/Teletoon. I wasn't a huge fan of either show, but I can attest that their work on Beyblade was far superior.

Pretty Cure was dubbed by Vancouver-based Ocean Productions, who also did the Canadian-dub of DBZ, as well as Gundam Wing (and most of the Gundam shows), Vision of Escaflowne, Monster Rancher, MegamanNT Warrior, and X-Men Evolution.

While I do enjoy Nelvana's work, Ocean Productions is near and dear to my heart, and if anyone brought back Yu-Gi-Oh, I would want it to be them. I feel they've always been fairly respectful in keeping to the original anime, and the voice actors that work with them I consider some of the best in the business (Scott McNeil~!).

Didn't Nelvana also make Cardcaptors?

lol

From what I've seen, Nelvana's changed since the bad old days with Cardcaptors. Admittedly one of the few anime I even watch anymore is Beyblade Metal Fusion (only got into it a few months ago and this is mostly since I really have no desire to search online for stuff...with so many millions of other things I could do online and my limited time and terrible multi-tasking skills, I just can't make another option for it) and it is a good dub for a silly, slightly over the top but still a fun series. I'm not saying Nelvana is the right company to take over the YGO franchise but I've noticed that many of the kid-friendly franchises that do make it to TV do seem to have Canadian backing as of late and it would be an option if it allowed for a better dub to be on TV, even if it means skipping ahead to ZeXal. (besides: Tv-Tokyo airs both Beyblade and Bakugan so YGO would be a snap for them to move there)
    Y'know, Negima WAS awesome...
    For the first 18 volumes.

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

I'm not sure whether to feel happy or sad.

On one hand this'll mean no more 5D's and we were just getting into the thick of the third season. Plus no fourth season GX (then again they say it wasn't much of a season anyway). But more importantly if 4Kids goes, its pretty much the end of the Saturday Morning toons. Say what you will but 4Kids is one of the last networks broadcasting this. ABC stopped trying and CBS is...I have no effing clue. "Fluff" is what am looking for.

And really Funi getting targeted just for DVD distribution? DVDs that weren't even "uncut" as they claimed and got pulled after like three volumes. At worse they'll probably get fined a small fee but I doubt this'll break them.

On the other hand, this setback will hopefully make 4Kids start taking the market seriously again, put some damn effort into their work. The more profitable distribution is fine but if your gonna do it, do it right. If it bankrupts them, well hopefully someone will step up to the plate and do a better job with the YuGiOh franchise.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Part Time Lurker OrangeNinjasSucks's Avatar

Wow, what's gonna happen now with the series?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    They weren't sets, they were volumes that only brought 3 episodes. I actually bought Volume 1 but that was only because they didn't have the other volumes.

I'm really hoping for a complete unedited YGO box set. As long as it's has the Japanese dub then I'll buy it. Viz or Funi. I just hope the official card game doesn't collapse as well.

3DS FRIEND CODE: 0344-9293-6833

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information