+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Skull Girls

Default Skull Girls

Ok, so this game is gaining some hype around the online fighting community for being a slick-looking tag-team versus fighter, incorporating a gorgeous blend of 2D art and 3D animation. This game is being developed by Autumn Games and Revenge Labs in collaboration with Mike Z, and is being released on PSN/XBLA sometime this summer.

According to the official site:
    "Set in the fictional Canopy Kingdom, Skullgirls pits players against ranks of deadly but beautiful opponents in an attempt to control the enigmatic Skull Heart, a mysterious artifact with the power to bestow wishes – but not without a substantial price. Should the soul be less than pure, both the victor’s wish and her being shall be corrupted into a living nightmare that haunts humanity. She will be known as the Skullgirl, a monstrous entity of immense power."
    Here's what we've heard so far:

- At least 8 regular characters, 2 boss characters, and 1 new character being released per month for a year as DLC.

- Infinite prevention. The game detects when you're doing an infinite and allows you to break out of it with the press of a button. Red hit sparks indicate a breakable infinite.

- It's pretty as hell. The art is 2D, but with 3D animation and backgrounds, with nice touches like real-time lighting effects on the 2D models. The models themselves are like a slick mixture of anime and western comic-style art.

- MvC-style game mechanics, which include the button layout, triangle jumping, (breakable) infinite combos and of course, a tag system with assist attacks. You can also create your own custom assists by either picking one of two moves that were preselected, or by doing your own input.

- Traditional fighter button input (hadoken, shoryuken and 360 degree motions), dashing (air and ground), double jumping, throws, throw break, combos, etc.

- Delayed hyper combos and multiple tech roll options.

More stuff (videos, links, ect). Will keep updated.
    Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    Honestly, before anyone says anything else about this game, I REALLY think they should read this article: http://www.destructoid.com/skullgirl...--196420.phtml

Or watch this video: [youtube]w_2u7-K40rQ&[/youtube]
    Check out her DevArt. How can you not want to see more?

http://oh8.deviantart.com/

NEW! Possible character roster, concept art and sketches (credit to Silence for finding this awesomeness)

Tentative character roster:
    Hidden:

From left to right: Filia, Squigly, Miss Fortune, Cerebella, Umbrella, Parasoul, Painwheel, Peacock

Character concept art:
    Hidden:

Filia
    Hidden:

Squigly
    Hidden:

Miss Fortune
    Hidden:

Cerebella
    Hidden:

Umbrella
    Hidden:

Parasoul
    Hidden:

Painwheel
    Hidden:

Peacock
    Hidden:

Check out the SkullGirls LJ for more art and other assorted goodies.

So I'm pretty hyped for this, because it looks simply beautiful and I'm intrigued by some of the mechanics being implemented here (such as the customizable assists).

Who else is curious about this game? 8D
    Last edited by Dervish; June 5th, 2011 at 05:38 PM.

a mood come alive.

♥ Friendship is Rainbows ♫♪ RageaSarus's Avatar

Default Re: Skull Girls: Coming Soon on PSN/XBLA

"Tell the people on SRK that this is not some wee-a-boo shit." - Mike “Mike Z” Zaimont

Real fucking talk. I'm copping this fighter.

It has my attention, that's for sure.
    I'd probably try a demo first if they released one, though.

Seen some preliminary footage of it. Not terribly impressed. The animations don't seem very smooth from what I've seen, and the animation quality basically looks like flash (really good flash, to be sure, but not retail game quality), and I've already played similar indy flash fighters. In fact, I've played games made by literally a handful of people that had the same kind of animation quality as this game, so hearing it comes from multiple production teams is disheartening, to say the least. Coupled with that, it often feels like it's trying too hard to have too much motion going on at all times, at least from what I've seen of it so far.

Also, the character roster basically feels like an American designer's attempt at their idea of a "cool" Arcana Heart. Several of the designs try too hard to be "out there," without actually having any real style to them. Making matters worse, most of them are boring as hell. Take the main character in this video:

[youtube]WtlJo_U22Cs[/youtube]

There hasn't been a character design in a fighting game that uninspired since everyone was ripping off Street Fighter 2, and her superpower schtick is ripped off wholesale from a Guilty Gear character to boot. And I don't know what the fuck that second character's deal is. Wacked-out character designs don't constitute style, either. You wanna see crazy character designs with style? Check out Arc System Works' stuff. Even Melty Blood's plain jane moe archetypes had more to them then this cast...

To its credit, though; I do like the infinite prevention.

Long story short: feels too much like a fangame to be retail, boring roster, doesn't look interesting on the whole.
    Last edited by Captain Shmeckie; March 16th, 2011 at 01:55 AM. Reason: For something that isn't "weaboo" crap, it certainly is imitating anime as hard as it can...

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    Celine Dion post in the MK thread. I wish I could neg you.

Go figure.

Hmm.

Pros-
    -It has an interesting style to it. Like shmeckie said, looks like flash. Very nice indy appeal.
    -That infinite breaking feature looks great. Looks fairly simple even after seeing it implemented once already.
    -They seem focused on delivering consistent updates to it. So here's hoping it takes off pretty well.
    -I'm always down to try new fighter series.

Cons-
    -I hate their puffy cheeks. That's right I said it.
    -The game and characters have an interesting style, but will there be substance behind it all?
    -I think Mike telling SRK "this ain't wee-a-boo crap" is funny as hell and takes balls (especially for a game he wants to sell to people). Buuuuuuuuuuut let's not say things that arent true now. Cause this looks pretty fucking anime-ish to me. If there ends up being a witch girl or samurai girl or ninja girl, mike might have to eat his hat on this one.
    -And speaking of girls, well... I know it's called Skull Girls.. but are there any guys? Cause all girl-cast fighting games have never really appealed to me. Don't get me wrong, gameplay will be a deciding factor... Male or female really has no bearing on me either, but I like using characters that appeal to me (like Cammy, C. Viper, Baiken, Jam, Litchi).. and often times, anime-ish all girl fighting games generally design their girls to appeal to a certain audience. If yah know what I mean.
    -DLC eh? I like consistent updates, but there is ALWAYS a dark side to DLC. One, the price. And two, depending on it's success, will people even be playing it a year from now when characters are still coming out for it?

Ok enough Gekko. The game has barely enough footage to give an accurate judgement.

I'll keep my eye on it for now. Wanna see what the other characters look like. (Don't like hair girl. puffy cheeks....)

I saw one of the artist upload something on DA. Looks interesting, but that's about it. The cast does not seem very promising.

It sorta reminds me of the approach Vangaurd Princess took, but with a more Darkstalkers X Guilty Gear flair over assorted stereotypes in anime series. While I didn't mind the approach, the gameplay in VP was terribly broken and unbalanced(Luna pretty much destroys the game). That the there wasn't alot of game modes or any story development to flesh out a new cast of characters.

Like what was already said, the designs look really cool. I like a bizarre and edgy take when it comes to looks. What I'm hoping for is substance or reason for me to actually like and use the characters because so far I don't see much personality. It could win me over like Dissidia did. The game was a fucking sausage fest and I hated most of the characters. Then all it took was a couple of lines and attacks to make me like several of them(even if I had no idea who they were, or cared about their lame bro-mances in the every single scene).
    Last edited by Hiroy; March 16th, 2011 at 10:19 AM.

I've kinda looked on this game for 2-3 years now, not exactly for the game itself but the artist. The artist behind the game is a dA user and I first saw it in an issue of Girls of Gaming which had several Skullgirls illustrations in it. Basically, I love the artstyle and think the guy is really talented and think it's great that he's basically getting a game built around his single art style. Have no desire to play it as fighters isn't my thing, but I just think it's great that it's been developed like that.

Most artists simply get to create concept art and the game uses bits and bobs, but visually this game is literally all him. I hope to see other games in the future taking this approach cause it's great for the artists and, as you can clearly see, it makes a very unique looking game.

They're right to hype the infinite break, but I don't anything else appealing. I can't help but feel like this is Girlfriend the Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Battle Franky
    Bad move, bub!

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko135 View Post
    -It has an interesting style to it. Like shmeckie said, looks like flash. Very nice indy appeal.
    Those flash games got nothing on this game.

-I hate their puffy cheeks. That's right I said it.
    I feel you on that one.

-I think Mike telling SRK "this ain't wee-a-boo crap" is funny as hell and takes balls (especially for a game he wants to sell to people). Buuuuuuuuuuut let's not say things that arent true now. Cause this looks pretty fucking anime-ish to me. If there ends up being a witch girl or samurai girl or ninja girl, mike might have to eat his hat on this one.
    Of course, it's going to look anime-ish to some, why? Because we've never seen an all-girl fighter made outside of Japan. At least (as of now) they ain't some big eyed, loud whiny, underage looking bitches.

Although, if we do get some generic ass samurai girl or ninja girl, I'll be salty. (We need more pirate girls! Bonne, May, and Ruby ain't enough)

-And speaking of girls, well... I know it's called Skull Girls.. but are there any guys? Cause all girl-cast fighting games have never really appealed to me. Don't get me wrong, gameplay will be a deciding factor... Male or female really has no bearing on me either, but I like using characters that appeal to me (like Cammy, C. Viper, Baiken, Jam, Litchi).. and often times, anime-ish all girl fighting games generally design their girls to appeal to a certain audience. If yah know what I mean.
    All-girl cast fighters never appealed to me either. I never played Melty Blood (I think it's an all-girl fighter) and I'm damn sure never playing Arcana Heart (NEVER) but I can look past the vagfest and I really can't criticize it, because I fucking use nothing but girls in fighters (Chunny, Mai, Morrigan, Litchi, Storm, Kitana, etc.) however, I'm glad that they aren't straight up anime chicks (then you can call it "weeaboo shit") and I totally prefer "anime-ish chicks" with badass designs.
    If they wanted to appeal to a certain audience, we would had been seeing 5-year-old girls in swimsuits, a 3-year-old succubus, or some fucked up creepy shit by now.

-DLC eh? I like consistent updates, but there is ALWAYS a dark side to DLC. One, the price. And two, depending on it's success, will people even be playing it a year from now when characters are still coming out for it?
    I'm sure it ain't going to be that high and I'm sure it's going to be played over a year at least. People are seriously hyped for this game and they're fans of this game and the people who are making it.

I'll keep my eye on it for now. Wanna see what the other characters look like. (Don't like hair girl. puffy cheeks....)
    Puffy cheeks, you're just going to have to deal with (like I do) but I believe those two girls are the only girls with "hair hats."

Quote Originally Posted by Buccaneer View Post
    They're right to hype the infinite break, but I don't anything else appealing. I can't help but feel like this is Girlfriend the Fighter
    ...what?
    Last edited by RageaSarus; March 16th, 2011 at 12:50 PM.

So fucking hype. Just, in general, elated that something that some people have been working on for so long is actually going to come to fruition, and that Mike Z is behind so much of it is extremely encouraging.

I love the character designs. Honestly, many of them were drawn up before Guilty Gear XX even came out. They've been working hard on this game for what feels like a decade, and I KNOW there have been setbacks.

Alex Ahad is one of my favorite artists and mostly I just can't fucking wait to see what all that hard work into making this game amounts to.

Check out her DevArt. How can you not want to see more?

http://oh8.deviantart.com/

Cannot wait to see these characters I've been looking at for YEARS come to life. That it's like a GGXX, MvC2 with CvS ratios and -isms and no infinites is just fucking gravy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Skull Girls is neat

One of the guys working on it (my good bro, scrotumnose) got me to apply to work on this game maybe a year ago. I didn't get hired, but the character sheets I saw were insanely detailed. They are hella specific about everything, haha

Treasure Cruise ID: 785,854,335
    LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

Cannot wait to see these characters I've been looking at for YEARS come to life. That it's like a GGXX, MvC2 with CvS ratios and -isms and no infinites is just fucking gravy.
    How can you guys NOT molest yourself to that?!

This isn't Arcana Heart, where there's NO shape/form you can look pass the characters without being a pedophile.

Quote Originally Posted by taboo View Post
    Skull Girls is neat

One of the guys working on it (my good bro, scrotumnose) got me to apply to work on this game maybe a year ago. I didn't get hired, but the character sheets I saw were insanely detailed. They are hella specific about everything, haha
    Are you going to get it?

Maybe? If I can buy it for PC or something. All I have right now is a Wii.

LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

For fucking shame.

It's PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 only as of now.
    Last edited by RageaSarus; March 16th, 2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: PlayStation 3. Get you one.

Hey I've been asking for a PS3 for birthday and Christmas for years now. I'm too poor to get one myself right now, haha.

My test gif

LS Zoro looking 4 Vivis

I don't get "Arcana Hearts" pandering anime-ish at all. It's very stylized, but it's DEFINITELY an American style with anime overtones.

I mean
    Spoiler:

...really? Some people are quick to dismiss.
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Hey I've been asking for a PS3 for birthday and Christmas for years now. I'm too poor to get one myself right now, haha.
    You just got to hustle, hustle and hustle!

Real talk though, you seriously got to get one.

I don't get "Arcana Hearts" pandering anime-ish at all. It's very stylized, but it's DEFINITELY an American style with anime overtones.

I mean ...really? Some people are quick to dismiss.
    Exactly.

I don't know what the damn deal with people sometimes.

Criticizing the roster (especially comparing it to other fighters) is fucking stupid, especially when there's only two fucking girls revealed and saying it's ripping off characters from another games is retarded.

By the way, comparing it to Arcana Heart is an absolute low blow and you deserve to be kicked in your puny balls for doing such a thing.

This game is fucking awesome. (I liked the gameplay mechanics before actually liking the design of the game) I'm getting it and prepare to see this game's title under KingofSarus' PSNID. (Unless Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike comes out during this game's release)

Honestly, before anyone says anything else about this game, I REALLY think they should read this article: http://www.destructoid.com/skullgirl...--196420.phtml

Or watch this video: [YOUTUBE]w_2u7-K40rQ&[/YOUTUBE]

All day, every day TakinawaTonfa's Avatar

I....think this was the game I saw at the last Otakon in Artist Alley. Its certainly come a long way since I last saw it (assuming I'm thinking of the same thing).

Skull Girls is neat

Wait, Scrotum's working on this game?
    Last edited by TakinawaTonfa; March 16th, 2011 at 07:53 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information