+ Reply to Thread
Page 62 of 85 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1681

Thread: 9.0 earthquake hits Japan

Default Re: 9.0 earthquake hits Japan GREG AND ODA ARE OKAY

Quote Originally Posted by Nami View Post
    Found on tumblr.
    So I just had a phone call with a friend of mine who’s living in Japan. She’s living in Sendai and as you may know that’s the city that got hot the worst. Well, she’s okay and her family too so far, but she was close to tears when she called me and after she told me what happened… I’m crying too.
    She said that she’s been in the middle of the street after the earthquake and when the tsunami came, together with her mother and her little brother (2 years old). The water was too fast so they had to hide in the shelter of a house but they knew that the water would rise more and more and that they had to get away from there or else they would drown. They kept yelling and somehow a man saw them from a balcony of the house they were hiding behind. Well, that man jumped down from the balcony and into the water and helped my friend and her mother and brother to get up into the house and the safety even though the water was getting stronger and stronger and making it even more impossible to stand. My friend’s mother insisted on her kids going first and then the man helped her up the balcony too.
    She just turned around and he grabbed her hand to get out of the water too when a car (one of hundreds) was being washed down the street and in his direction. My friend’s mother and the other people were yelling… and he suddenly let go of her hand so that she wouldn’t get pulled into the water when the car hit and drowned him.
    My friend and her family survived… thanks to a stranger who gave his life to rescue them. He could’ve stayed in the save building but instead he helped them. I was so touched when she told me her story.
    I don’t know the name of this man, his story, who he was… but I want to give him a special moment in my prayers today and in the future.
    He’s a true hero.
    What an unbelievable sacrifice. It sadens me when I think about that his story will most likely get lost to the huge scale of the whole incident (EQ, Tsunami, Powerplant etc...)

Found on tumblr.

that gave me manly tears

may he rest in peace
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    You are a treasure.

I stumbled on these examples of photos from before and after...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/ja...eforeafter.htm

I fear the deathtole will be much, much higher than we've been told so far. And then there's the powerplant looming over the survivors, and the question where the next massive earthquake will strike. I hate to be the doomsday thinker, but after Chili and New Zealand and now Japan... :(

Shipmate

There's already a continuation to these photos.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/ja...foreafter2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Nefnora View Post
    I stumbled on these examples of photos from before and after...

http://www.abc.net.au/news/events/ja...eforeafter.htm

I fear the deathtole will be much, much higher than we've been told so far. And then there's the powerplant looming over the survivors, and the question where the next massive earthquake will strike. I hate to be the doomsday thinker, but after Chili and New Zealand and now Japan... :(
    Your guess is as good as anyones.

I may be a bit late for this, but that man who sacrificed himself, he's a true hero. He'll be in my prayers for a long time coming.

This is actually the first time in a long time that i've cried.

Such selfless sacrifice, i definitely teared up from that.

---------------------------------[Youtube]-[Patreon]-[Twitter]---------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by metteminne View Post
    that gave me manly tears

may he rest in peace
    Same here. Truly a real hero.

That is well and truly tragic.

May God bless the family of that man.

I found a link that explains what happened in the Fukishima plant :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-12726591

So I just had a phone call with a friend of mine who’s living in Japan. She’s living in Sendai and as you may know that’s the city that got hot the worst. Well, she’s okay and her family too so far, but she was close to tears when she called me and after she told me what happened… I’m crying too.
    She said that she’s been in the middle of the street after the earthquake and when the tsunami came, together with her mother and her little brother (2 years old). The water was too fast so they had to hide in the shelter of a house but they knew that the water would rise more and more and that they had to get away from there or else they would drown. They kept yelling and somehow a man saw them from a balcony of the house they were hiding behind. Well, that man jumped down from the balcony and into the water and helped my friend and her mother and brother to get up into the house and the safety even though the water was getting stronger and stronger and making it even more impossible to stand. My friend’s mother insisted on her kids going first and then the man helped her up the balcony too.
    She just turned around and he grabbed her hand to get out of the water too when a car (one of hundreds) was being washed down the street and in his direction. My friend’s mother and the other people were yelling… and he suddenly let go of her hand so that she wouldn’t get pulled into the water when the car hit and drowned him.
    My friend and her family survived… thanks to a stranger who gave his life to rescue them. He could’ve stayed in the save building but instead he helped them. I was so touched when she told me her story.
    I don’t know the name of this man, his story, who he was… but I want to give him a special moment in my prayers today and in the future.
    He’s a true hero.

He will be remembered.

Nice find Sauza, this really helps me understand things more. Thanks!

I heard reactor number 1 can't produce heat anymore. Is that true?
    3DS FC: 0087 - 2971 - 9910

so that she wouldn’t get pulled into the water when the car hit and drowned him.
    At this part my eyes got all 'itchy'? And moments later a friend asked why i had tears in my face.

That was a beautiful piece of words that i will save
    I Gult och Rött marscherar vi fram!

Here's the deal.

Essentially unchanged from earlier today. Units 1 & 3 are 'stable' and the seawater cooling plan is proceeding. Note, these are the plants that suffered notable explosions which released hydrogen gas. Again, the double-layered pressure cont...ainment units are believed to be intact.

Unit 2 is believed to have suffered at least a partial exposure after an explosion was heard from inside. The rods were exposed to air for some time. Since then the water level has returned to half and is continuing to be adjusted. The government has stated somewhat ambiguously that Unit 2 is 'thought to be safe' for the time being. Regardless, the double-layered containment unit is believed to be intact which is positive.

Unit 4's status is unknown and they are working feverishly to figure out what's happening. The talk of fire in Unit 4 this morning is insignificant as it's ONLY superficial and opened up two holes in the roof. Two holes is nothing compared to the explosions the other day HOWEVER, Unit 4 is UNIQUE in that the rods were moved to a separate containment unit after the quake. It's still a double-layered unit, but it is not the standard unit. The issue is, the temperature of the water has been rising and they're not sure why.

For those in Japan, here's the part where you shouldn't panic, but BE AWARE of what's going on. The radiation levels they've been measuring suggest that a partial meltdown may have ocurred. For a period today, there were 'high' levels of radiation measured around the plant, enough to cause cancer. HOWEVER, the levels went down to levels comparable to what they've been the past few days, i.e. negligible. However, given the gases released, some of the material has traveled and will probably continue to do so. AT THIS POINT, outside the evacuation area the material HAS BEEN MEASURED and is not particularly dangerous.

It's a serious situation so please keep an eye on wind patterns and it'd be helpful to learn what the levels of radiation mean. Not meant to fear-monger, just to be aware and informed.

Actually, I've been walking around with gorilla and whale DNA on me at all times. We're not getting outta this without SOMEONE turning into Godzilla.

Yeah the center of it was under Steve's house. (not really)

It was on land in Shizuoka. 6. Not bad, not bad. Some hanging shit in my room wavered.

Most everyone over here is reporting to be ok after the 6.0 one, but things are still shaking and the sirens/speaker announcements are not helping anyone sleep. A lot of talk about the tokai and things to come, but that's just the nature of where we live.

Edit: town hall's ceiling just caved in. If it had been mid work day....ugh.

Greg, Steven, Tsuchirinhon --

Thanks for the updates (and especially for putting the reactor situation in plain language for us). Glad to hear that you're all safe in spite of the aftershocks, and please do your best to stay that way!

Awesome mutant powers would be adequate compensation for having gone through this hell. Looking forward to seeing y'all (1) fly, (2) shoot laser beams out of your eyes (3) lift buildings with your bare hands.

Nami, beautiful story. My he rest in peace.
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

......-- Tool (from Lateralus)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information