+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 85 FirstFirst ... 20 28 29 30 31 32 40 80 ... LastLast

Thread: 9.0 earthquake hits Japan

Default Re: 9.0 earthquake hits Japan GREG AND ODA ARE OKAY

I am thinking of making the sig that links directly to the donation site (redcross one, or if anyone got any other suggestions), can someone post the link again please?

Just trying to help in what little way i can

Quote Originally Posted by Hayemaker View Post
    It was the same when the 04 Christmas tsunami devastated Indonesia, Thailand and etc. The numbers were small, 30 here, 20 there...but they add up. The people missing, disease, everything. In all of those pictures we've seen of houses being dragged away there is probably a family being crushed or drowned or choked by gas leaks/explosions. These are just the numbers that can be accounted for in the mass chaos 24hrs after the fact, last I heard some 20,000 people were missing. And it's not like a small area was affected, Japan has a 1500 mile coastline. There simply aren't enough services, provisions and aid to go around, and on top of that the infrastructure has been decimated too. Folks will be stranded for a while.

Now imagine that devastation, but on a rural 3rd world country like Pakistan, where those floods took place. People are STILL dying there 6 months after, there was a big initial international reaction but it's all died out. The one thing Japan has going for it is organisation.
    God... You try not to think of it like that while watching the videos and images, but you're exactly right. Not just the houses either. All the cars, people walking outside... It's too tragic for words. I heard the tsunamis went about 6 miles inland, so many people were not expecting to be hit and were not prepared.

The scariest thing is that so many deaths have been confirmed now, and the large inner city area that was hit has been completely cut off from communication. That area alone could double the death toll.

As for the previous areas were hit, I honestly didn't pay as much attention to the coverage as I should have. Seeing these videos now, I can only imagine how much worse a third world country had it during all this. If Japanese buildings fortified to handle most large earthquakes were swept away like ants in a rain storm, I can't even fathom what happened to their buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopperrules View Post
    God... You try not to think of it like that while watching the videos and images, but you're exactly right. Not just the houses either. All the cars, people walking outside... It's too tragic for words. I heard the tsunamis went about 6 miles inland, so many people were not expecting to be hit and were not prepared.

The scariest thing is that so many deaths have been confirmed now, and the large inner city area that was hit has been completely cut off from communication. That area alone could double the death toll.

As for the previous areas were hit, I honestly didn't pay as much attention to the coverage as I should have. Seeing these videos now, I can only imagine how much worse a third world country had it during all this. If Japanese buildings fortified to handle most large earthquakes were swept away like ants in a rain storm, I can't even fathom what happened to their buildings.
    Well, Aceh (and the rest of Sumatra actually), dont have that much tall buildings n all. So although it got swept away easily, its relatively easier to rebuild and it wont be as dangerous as, say if it happens right here in Jakarta, we got highrise n all. And i'm not sure the majority of em can withstand such quakes. U've seen the vids about the buildings in Japan kinda rocked idly to the quakes, well in Jakarta, I have a feeling they'll just collapse and deathtolls from that alone could at least be in hundreds

Quote Originally Posted by ponx View Post
    Well, Aceh (and the rest of Sumatra actually), dont have that much tall buildings n all. So although it got swept away easily, its relatively easier to rebuild and it wont be as dangerous as, say if it happens right here in Jakarta, we got highrise n all. And i'm not sure the majority of em can withstand such quakes. U've seen the vids about the buildings in Japan kinda rocked idly to the quakes, well in Jakarta, I have a feeling they'll just collapse and deathtolls from that alone could at least be in hundreds
    I could imagine.

It's ironic when you think about it. Man builds all these nice looking things that serve our every needs, only to have them squash us in natural disasters.

Default Re: 9.0 earthquake hits Japan

Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    Um, yeah actually Taiwan does. It's a fully developed country like Japan.
    True -- (some might say "overdeveloped" due to their high population density) -- but for Taiwan, I was thinking more in terms of building with sophisticated earthquake-resistant materials and stuff.

To be honest, I don't really know all that much about Taiwan, though I have several friends from there, so they could very well have those sorts of building codes in place already.

EDIT: CCC -- glad to hear that sister and baby are ok!
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

......-- Tool (from Lateralus)

air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar

703 people have been confirmed killed.

AFP reports that Japan TV footage shows smoke billowing from Fukushima No.1 nuclear plant (due to an explosion) and that radioactivity there is 20 times normal level.

Update from www.abc.net.au/news

This was posted on ABC Journalist Mark Willacy's twitter:

@markwillacy Japanese TV showing smoke coming out of nuclear plant 1. Explosion heard

Watching footage on TV right now, scary stuff.

The explosion at the Fukushima facility:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg4uo...tailpage#t=43s

Quote Originally Posted by asm00200 View Post
    703 people have been confirmed killed.

AFP reports that Japan TV footage shows smoke billowing from Fukushima No.1 nuclear plant (due to an explosion) and that radioactivity there is 20 times normal level.

With 100 million people living in such a small island... I was expecting like a few thousands... Looks that japan was well prepared.

Also, oh god i hope that shit doesn't explode... that would be a Huge tragedy... and unlike the tsunami japan won't be able to save much people arround it...
    Chernobyl and others would fade in comparasion if something like that blow up. It's not about size, it's because there is millions of people close.

PD: At least oda is okay.... for now

Anyone have that ANN link, I've realised I've heard nothing about Hiro or Shimabukuro.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Franky View Post

Goddamn. On top of everything else, this happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Franky View Post

According to Wall Street Journal article, the #1 plant is the smallest of the reactors. Still, that's cold comfort in light of the explosion seen above.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

Oh just noticed.

I'm realy kinda worried.

air to surface missiles asm00200's Avatar

They say the explosion may have been hydrogen used to cool Fukushima plant.

Fukushima prefecture says Tepco's no.1 reactor ceiling has collapsed, 4 people taken to hospital.

I just heard the hydrogen thing myself. NHK says one hour of exposure near the plant is equivalent to a years' worth of natural exposure. Press conference in 25 minutes.

holy shite that sounds terrible ... I so hope they can somehow get that under control. o_o

Quote Originally Posted by Steven D. Teach View Post
    I just heard the hydrogen thing myself. NHK says one hour of exposure near the plant is equivalent to a years' worth of natural exposure. Press conference in 25 minutes.
    Good thing they evacuated those areas earlier today.
    Keep us posted about updates if/when you can, Steven.
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

Forgive my ignorance, but what does exposure to hydrogen do exactly ?

I don't think this resource has been mentioned yet, so ...

"Those trying to contact or locate U.S. citizens living or traveling in Japan can telephone the U.S. Department of State, Office of Overseas Citizens Services, at 1-888-407-4747 or (202) 647-5225"

(from a Wall Street Journal article).
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...LEFTTopStories
    "Over-thinking,
    over-analyzing ..."

Quote Originally Posted by dinty View Post
    Good thing they evacuated those areas earlier today.
    Keep us posted about updates if/when you can, Steven.
    That doesn't mean much as the atmosphere will spread it anyway, Chernobyl affected the UK, and that incident happened all the way over in Ukraine in eastern Europe. Of course this isn't of the same scale but it will occur nonetheles.s

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information