View Poll Results: The Music Genre You Hate

Voters
191. You may not vote on this poll
  • Country

    79 41.36%
  • Classical

    8 4.19%
  • Jazz

    12 6.28%
  • Folk/World

    19 9.95%
  • Hip-Hop

    55 28.80%
  • Rock

    5 2.62%
  • Metal

    49 25.65%
  • Pop

    28 14.66%
  • Electronic

    34 17.80%
  • Funk

    10 5.24%
  • Soul

    14 7.33%
  • Blues

    8 4.19%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 588

Thread: The Music Genre You HATE

  1. #21
    A real rain will come... JERK DISEASE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    I can't stand modern country whatsoever. But it doesn't seem like a genre issue so much, since I definitely respect the basic sound of the genre.
    It's just that modern mainstream country is THE CORNIEST shit. It's cornier then a thousand Backstreet Boys songs for godsakes.


    And I...actually like that backwoods sound, the Bluegrass.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()


  2. #22

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    Quote Originally Posted by SSM View Post
    I just wanted to see how many would pick Hip-hop.
    Same here.

    And Dream Theater is fucking awesome.
    And that Reminisce rap song is also fucking awesome. That's one of my favorite types of hip hop.
    Last edited by GuetaMinute; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:21 PM. Reason: And I know you're not supposed to begin a sentence with and

  3. #23

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    fuck you zephos this is a topic I want to be sober for, fuck your fucking timing

    I will whip up a cool ass post later. I'm a buttscholar of muzak and it's my professional opinion that swing-revival and 3rd wave ska are objectively awful.

    That's not what my cool ass post would be about, those sentences complete themselves alone with no necessary context, or elaboration. I would actually prefer to talk about the ways I turned my tight anus ears into gaping whorish maws when it came to receiving sound. I'll do it later.

    Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    But stuff like Death Metal? Black Metal?
    The stuff that becomes pretty much just sludgey noise with screaming and grunting indecipherable vocals?

    I...just cannot whatsoever see the actual musical appeal in that.
    I see the appeal of why people would like the mood and imagery (much of which...I just find hopelessly corny). But not the pure music.
    [youtube]hDO3sq9kHmY[/youtube]

    My example of some very sludgey metal that comes to mind with indecipherable vocals that I find to be fantastic. This is also what would be considered, in general, how fans of this would consider it done right. For the record, yes, sludge/stoner/whatever metal summons people who largely have no grasp on band names and what doesn't sound stupid. Very sad.

    Now to approach it from aesthetics perspective, I love that it has a very dense feel to it. The heavy landscape evokes a sort of swampy struggle, a slow pace, lumbering like a giant, etc etc (things that depict "heavy/slow imagery" with an overdramatic flair and you could go on forever). The vocals are not meant to be understood, only heard. It's nothing more than a layer to the texture. So it creates the portrait of a very vivid (or perhaps it's better to say murky?) emotional experience. It's not one that's inherently pleasing, yet, the sort of pleasure I receive is one of aural fulfillment. A very large, full meal of fulfillment.

    I elaborate on like this as if I'm going to start explaining how, scientifically speaking, yada yada yada but once I lay everything out on the table it's sort of difficult to get much else out there. As obvious as it is (if you hear it you can explain what you're hearing), that's actually why it sounds good. On an emotional palette, every kind of imagery and chord can strike in you (negative to positive) resonation in a way that feels pleasing.

    Particularly if you're mirroring your own mood to the work itself. Sort of akin to venting anger.

    To most listeners, that sort of in your face anger is a turn off. It is very much something that people on a usual level just flat out don't want to hear. We're conditioned to hear screaming and loud volumes as cacophony, or unpleasant. For a reason. But get past the barrier and...

    The end result? Pleasing, actually, just as much as sunshine pop can be.

    And musically, really on a pure level, that's just it. It can sound primal as fuck, but it's effective on a technical level. You say you can understand the appeal of the imagery conceptually, not not as an actual product, I think i interpreted that right? If not then I wasted a whooooole post not like there's much to say. But it's not like I need to explain to you all of this, anyways. You're smart you know how noises work. I was more of just setting up a foundation to describe how the good stuff does capture the emotions with an aesthetic that doesn't come off as insanely cheesy. Or maybe if it still sounds cheesy it's just in the end about not being able to get past the cliches associated with the sound.

    I know I've experienced that. The Wrens Meadowlands is a masterpiece of power pop and emo genre. But it took a few listens to get past that kind of voice to really hear just how good they were at doing what they were doing. The pisspoor attempts at replicating the good stuff can bear so much similarities on a surface level it's hard to separate to the untrained ear.

    And it's also not to say you always have to be stiflingly mad, or bleak feeling, to be in the mood for sludginess. When I'm in a good mood sometimes I just think low end notes, heavy bass, or just deep rhythms can be damn fine.
    Last edited by Pochipochi; March 2nd, 2011 at 11:15 PM.

  4. #24
    The Album Guy Nobodyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Virginia, US

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    And I...actually like that backwoods sound, the Bluegrass.
    You know, whenever I'm listening to the radio in the car, I'll put it on scan and inevitably it always comes up on this one backwoods/bluegrass station and 9 times out of 10 someone will be playing a banjo.

    Honest to god, how many songs can they make on that stupid fucking instrument?! I swear to god, they're all the same friggin' tune!

  5. #25
    Discovered Stowaway WarshipArc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Hamilton ON.

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    Ah fuck, I clicked classical instead of Country, is their any way I can change that?

    Anyway I wouldn't say that I hate all country, just the New Country thats come out since the early nineties. I suppose it's just mostly because it doesn't sound anything like the old stuff from the fifties and onwards. It just sounds like some pop/folk hybrid, and it just gets on my nerves.
    NintendoNetworkID:NJMancini, please leave a message saying you're from AP

  6. #26

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    I agree with jerk disease on death metal and the like. It sounds like sludge, into my ears and into my brain, loud and indescipherable sludge.

    but I love the shit out of power metal, like Masterplan.
    [youtube]VKL2wv7Sdw0[/youtube]


    and then as for hip-hop and rap - I don't care for it that much because in many hip-hop songs, the hook is the only part I like. The actual "rap" part is either unintelligible or uninteresting.

    but there are a few songs that I absolutely love.
    [youtube]Ci7ac9UtNEM[/youtube]

  7. #27
    The villain eternal. Kylor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    I felt weird about answering this poll, simply because of the incredibly wide range of sub-genres that exist. I like some Country, but certainly not all of it, and I don't like bluegrass. I hate most metal, but the melodic stuff, particularly Power Metal, is a great source of enjoyment.

    So basically, I answered it not based on what I hated, necessarily, but what I was truly tired with hearing.

  8. #28

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    The more specific the sub-genre, the more it refers to a very specific sound.

    Same for some ~movements~.

    This is why people can say, on a whole, they dislike things like 3rd wave ska and swing-revival. If you hate ZOOT SUIT RIOT there is such an insanely minimal chance that you need to hear anything else from other acts associated with swing-revival to know you think that sound is awful. Shit, even post-grunge on some level can be generalized in this fashion, though I would never really encourage actual generalizations and assumptions on a baseless angle.

    But yeah, the aforementioned genres work a lot on the "fuck this" front, epecially since these genres are more like "why listen to this bullshit when I can get the real thing?"

  9. #29

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    The quality of a given piece of country music is directly related to when the person singing it was born. Before 1940? Awesome. After 1960? It will suck.

    Bluegrass largely works in the same fashion.

    [YOUTUBE]krIVsZP-YaY[/YOUTUBE]
    Complicating things since 2009.

  10. #30

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bad_Lith View Post


    and then as for hip-hop and rap - I don't care for it that much because in many hip-hop songs, the hook is the only part I like. The actual "rap" part is either unintelligible or uninteresting.

    but there are a few songs that I absolutely love.
    [youtube]Ci7ac9UtNEM[/youtube]
    Probably because you're judging the genre based on mainstream shit (besides Eminem, he's good, and Snoop Dogg used to be)

  11. #31
    A real rain will come... JERK DISEASE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bad_Lith View Post
    and then as for hip-hop and rap - I don't care for it that much because in many hip-hop songs, the hook is the only part I like. The actual "rap" part is either unintelligible or uninteresting.
    You have to want to get into the rhythm of the delivery of the rapper to get the full hip-hop musical experience.

    This is the basis for rap music as art.
    Spoiler:

    [youtube]Zn7YtjO6Mqc[/youtube]


    Here's a really basic minimal track, just try getting into finger tapping and head nodding. (I'm shocked more drummers don't love hip-hop honestly)
    Spoiler:
    [youtube]vevNrNNGnY4[/youtube]


    but there are a few songs that I absolutely love.
    [youtube]Ci7ac9UtNEM[/youtube]
    EDIT: loll, should probably listen to youtubs before typing about them.
    That's a pretty basic hip-hop track in every way (maybe the guy is a little more sing-songy than usual), I'm surprised you can't get into the genre.
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()


  12. #32

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    I thought it was dumb nerdcore crap too without watching it.

    I will direct my dislike of that crap to just its existence in general

    I just can't really get past how it's like

    "Hey it's like hiphop, but ironically and guilt free lol halo references you laugh because mega man doesn't rap hahahahahah"

    WHITE PEOPLE ARE SAFE HERE

    edit: No really I'm serious.

    I'm sure a lot of the appeal of NERDCORE is that it feels like such an inclusive atmosphere free of blackness

    haaaaaa
    Last edited by Pochipochi; March 2nd, 2011 at 10:52 PM.

  13. #33
    A real rain will come... JERK DISEASE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Hell View Post
    I thought it was dumb nerdcore crap too without watching it.

    I will direct my dislike of that crap to just its existence in general

    I just can't really get past how it's like

    "Hey it's like hiphop, but ironically and guilt free lol halo references right am I right"

    WHITE PEOPLE ARE SAFE HERE
    hee heee, look... its crazy black people music about megaman!!! lollll!!

    yo yo yo......i haz cheezburger

    HEE HEE HEE

    but wait, lemme get serious an prove this is real legit genre and not just really tired inhereently terrible and vaguely racist joke!!

    yo, yo, my moms kicked me out the house cuz i been playing like too much ffxiv, g


    whaddya mean thats not real pathos!!! omg, its the nerd life, its "real" too, just as "real" as the street!!!
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()


  14. #34
    is Stolen Silence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    In a state of mind

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    stop making me love the both of you
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

  15. #35
    Swole Chihuahua Rogues' Gallery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Writing my Novel

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    So be honest and answer the poll regardless of whether you know your feelings are irrational or unfair. Just answer honestly.
    Okay, if that's what you want (and you'll probably flame me later)....

    I don't know if this would be included in the "Hip-Hop" section or is an entire sub-section in of itself, but I absolutely abhor "Ghetto, degrading rap music". I wouldn't even call it music. I'm 100% all for the old school soul, jazz, & blues, but rap.....I mean, goddamn. What I hate most is always the lyrics. I recall hearing from a friend one time how rap music was used so individuals could tell stories of their past struggles on the streets in a more rhythmic fashion, but there's a major a difference between pouring your soul and hardships into your music and lyrics like:

    "Shut up bitch swallow
    If you can't swallow
    Shut up bitch gargle"

    "Cuz im the shit
    Up in this bitch"

    and

    "So I pick the world up and I'ma drop it on your fuckin head
    Bitch I'ma pick the World up and I’ma drop it on your fuckin head"

    Jesus Christ. It's utterly mortifying how absolutely degrading the rap genre is to everyday women, but also equally infuriating how most rappers have such a sense of downright, cocky, arrogant attitudes; so full of themselves in their own over-inflated egos, thinking that they really are "the shit" and that's why they can act the way they do and treat/degrade women the way they do in their lyrics. I mean, just look at Kanye West, proudly declaring that he was going to be "better than Elvis himself". Honestly people, do you really think that Elvis would have acted/treated Taylor swift in the same manner as Kayne did that infamous night? No, because Elvis had class. He would have NEVER treated anyone, much less a fellow upcoming musician like that. REAL musicians don't need to use bad publicity or foul words like "nigga" "pussy" "cock" "bitch" and "muthafucka", to produce and sell good music. They have a natural respect and talent of their own.

    I truly miss the fiery soul and passion of, well, Soul/Jazz/Blues.
    Last edited by Rogues' Gallery; March 2nd, 2011 at 11:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MDL View Post
    Someone married their stepmom and then got murdered?
    Sounds like he used a monkey paw to make a porno story come true.
    Then the curse of the paw eventually killed him.

  16. #36
    All Hail Porky Mr. Evil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    wisKHANsin

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    I don't outright hate any broad genre. I can usually find something I like in any of these categories.

    I will say that I agree with Zephos in finding DEATH GROWLS kind of comical though.
    Strung out in heaven's high, hitting an all-time low.

  17. #37

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    hee heee, look... its crazy black people music about megaman!!! lollll!!
    [youtube]R6L9bUouDr8[/youtube]

    I had to actually pull this up to see if it's as bad as I remember and like

    It's all around just straight up awful

    If it wasn't for the fact that he has awkward, misguided flow and delivery, his rhymes are flat out juvenile ("this is what a four year old thinks GANGSTA RAP SOUNDS LIKE, biiiiitch") and oh so contrived.

    There is no humor to be found here. "I'm gonna throw this metal blade and cut a hole in your ass, I think I'll have my dog rush take a picture of that." Haha get it it's funny because uh...

    ....

    well it's good hiphop because............

    .................................................. ..................

    FUCK

  18. #38

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    I chose "view poll results" because there was no choice for "Bad"

    in all seriousness though, the less you think you understand, the better ears and the more appreciation you will have. that's the golden rule of music.

  19. #39
    A real rain will come... JERK DISEASE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    CT

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.333 View Post
    I don't know if this would be included in the "Hip-Hop" section or is an entire sub-section in of itself, but I absolutely abhor "Ghetto, degrading rap music".
    Not sure what this would sound like though. Or what you would consider degrading.

    I wouldn't even call it music.
    Don't do this.

    No matter the sound, don't start with the "not music" thing.
    It's not a criticism of any value to begin with.

    I'm 100% all for the old school soul, jazz, & blues, but rap.....I mean, goddamn.
    But I thought you said "ghetto degrading".
    There's a vast portions of hip-hop that have nothing to do with those words. Even within hardcore hip-hop there's stuff that isn't quite like that.
    In fact for a second I thought that was what you were referring to with " old school soul, jazz, and blues".

    What I hate most is always the lyrics. I recall hearing from a friend one time how rap music was used so individuals could tell stories of their past struggles on the streets in a more rhythmic fashion, but there's a major a difference between pouring your soul and hardships into your music and lyrics like:
    You know all I have to do is just go "yeah but what about lyrics like...".

    You don't actually think the genre isn't easily listened to without running into that sort of thing or even just enjoying entirely on musical merit without really paying attention to lyrics? Do you?

    Jesus Christ. It's utterly mortifying how absolutely degrading the rap genre is to everyday women, but also equally infuriating how most rappers have such a sense of downright, cocky, arrogant attitudes; so full of themselves in their own over-inflated egos, thinking that they really are "the shit" and that's why they can act the way they do and treat/degrade women the way they do in their lyrics. I mean, just look at Kanye West, proudly declaring that he was going to be "better than Elvis himself". Honestly people, do you really think that Elvis would have acted/treated Taylor swift in the same manner as Kayne did that infamous night?
    Are you a fan of the Rolling Stones by any chance?

    No, because Elvis had class. He would have NEVER treated anyone, much less a fellow upcoming musician like that. REAL musicians don't need to use bad publicity or foul words like "nigga" "pussy" "cock" "bitch" and "muthafucka", to produce and sell good music. They have a natural respect and talent of their own.
    I'm sorry but this is complete and utter bullshit on high.

    There are hundreds of major influential rock/pop/soul/even CLASSICAL acts that are or were gigantically obnoxious, arrogant, twatish, violent, misognistic, and all around completely without any sort of class up to and including artists from before Elvis became famous.

    Do you know what kind of guy Chuck Berry turned out to be lol?

    Have you ever heard of murder ballads?

    Do you know how much insubstantial image has ALWAYS been associated with music? ESPECIALLY in regards to Elvis?
    Elvis didn't cuss but he swang his hips.

    And not so much as one ounce of that has the slightest bit to do with how good a musician they are.

    I truly miss the fiery soul and passion of, well, Soul/Jazz/Blues.
    Simply put: Do you want me to help you with hip-hop. Or rock for that matter because part way through I couldn't distinguish which you were describing.

    Also do you have any idea how dirty and violent the blues got?
    1. Ace (), 2. WB (), 3. BB (X), 4. Perona () 5. Boa () 6. Jimbei (???), 7. Sabo lives (), 8. Timeskip ()


  20. #40

    Default Re: The Music Genre You HATE

    Quote Originally Posted by JERK DISEASE View Post
    EDIT: loll, should probably listen to youtubs before typing about them.
    That's a pretty basic hip-hop track in every way (maybe the guy is a little more sing-songy than usual), I'm surprised you can't get into the genre.
    I know, right? I have noticeably mainstream taste in music, and I don't go out of my way to listen to hip-hop, so I'm not surprised my favorites are really typical fare.

    but I liked that "they reminisce over you" that you posted earlier. It reminds me of Cantaloop, by US3. Is that one basic, too? god, it's sad that I can't even tell, isn't it...

    Maybe my problem is just that I haven't ever listened to much good hip-hop, and so have no basis for comparison? What are some artists that you recommend?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts