+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 183 1 2 3 11 51 101 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack on Titan

Default Attack on Titan

Description

Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by walling themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of giants. Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a giant in over 100 years. Teenage boy Elen and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a super giant that appears out of thin air. As the smaller giants flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Elen vows that he will murder every single giant and take revenge for all of mankind. Nominated for the 4th Manga Taisho Awards (2011).
    http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin

I knew virtualy nothing about this series , but kept trying to persuade whomever I could to try and scan it. Well four days ago someone posted the first four chapters on mangareader , scanned.

Default Re: Shingeki No Kyojin Manga

Read the first two chapters. I like the story and the concept so far, but the art seems too inconsistent. Some of the giants look really weird with proportionate torsos and warped limbs. Also, when humans are together in some scenes they look like they're drawn by two different people.

Also, the eyes are way too far from the mouth in some scenes and way too big for the face... something that's off-putting about Vinland Saga, as well.

Hmm... I'll continue to give it a chance. Maybe it's just a different artistic direction this artist is taking.
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

The person doing this aparently is new at it, plus the concept is prety cool.

We all know how first chapters of new series look.

Seriously, WTF???

Chapter 4 spoilers, proceed with caution:

Spoiler:
    Ok, seriously guys, did they just pull a Song of Ice and Fire on us??? Did the main character just DIE in the FOURTH chapter???? Wasn't Eren supposed to do something else? 1 Titan killed 4 or 5 of the top 10 trainees already? They didn't even have time to show their worth!

Anyways, the action scenes look cool as shit, that 3D gear or wathever they call it is really cool. The massive Titan is creepy like fuck. Overall it's kinda scary.

I can't help but to think this Titans are sent by Mother Nature itself. They don't kill any other living being, only humans, and they don't do it for nutrition. They don't have sexual organs, so they don't sexually reproduce themselves, so there goes the possibility that they're simply "created" from something. The colossal titan can be Gaia's response to the human city walls.

Earth's punishment on the humans that infest the planet?

I'm pretty sure this was something I had wanted to read before, so I'm glad it got scanlated. And if I'm thinking of another series, well, I'm still glad this got scanlated. Art is a bit different and inconsistent at times, but I don't mind it(already used to it / it's grown on me) and the story and idea behind it is pretty cool. Spoilers for Chapter 4:

Spoiler:
    Can't really believe that happened, just... Wasn't expecting it. I almost didn't want to keep on reading after that one page, where he was trying to make his way out, since you knew exactly what was going to happen when you did. I want him to come bursting out of that Titan alive somehow.

I did think he was dead for good, but then I remembered that scene with his father. So, if Eren makes it out of this alive, I'm thinking it will be because of whatever his father injected him with. Probably something from the Titans, which will give him their regenerative ability.
    "As long as I'm alive, I want to die having risen just one step higher."

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    Seriously, WTF???

Chapter 4 spoilers, proceed with caution:

Spoiler:
    Ok, seriously guys, did they just pull a Song of Ice and Fire on us??? Did the main character just DIE in the FOURTH chapter???? Wasn't Eren supposed to do something else? 1 Titan killed 4 or 5 of the top 10 trainees already? They didn't even have time to show their worth!

Anyways, the action scenes look cool as shit, that 3D gear or wathever they call it is really cool. The massive Titan is creepy like fuck. Overall it's kinda scary.

I can't help but to think this Titans are sent by Mother Nature itself. They don't kill any other living being, only humans, and they don't do it for nutrition. They don't have sexual organs, so they don't sexually reproduce themselves, so there goes the possibility that they're simply "created" from something. The colossal titan can be Gaia's response to the human city walls.

Earth's punishment on the humans that infest the planet?
    Guys, these are spoilers for the next volume whose scan is suposed to be out next week

Spoiler:
    he not only lives, but regenerates his damage and can control the titans from inside.

It has potential.

But damn those Titans are creepy.

Novel I'm working on: The Dutchman
    Chapters Completed: 0
    Concepts to Complete: Plot Summary, Character Biographies
    Twitch / Blogspot

...Goddamnit, I misunderstood your post No Maam and read those spoilers, aha.

At least I was right about part of it.
    "As long as I'm alive, I want to die having risen just one step higher."

San Juan Wolf would pawn the shit out of that red giant.
    Last edited by Rogues' Gallery; January 30th, 2011 at 02:37 PM.

Twitch / Blogspot

I actualy thought that while reading the chapters too.

A measely 50 feet? Didn't we estimate Wolf was around 600 feet tall ?

Boy I'd love to see the look on their faces when they'd.....find him

Also I realy hope the red titan can actualy talk.

What about Zombie OZ? how tall was he? Not too sure about the red one, but Dorry & Broggy would be able to hack apart most of the others.

And these two pages were kinda disturbing.

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/4/38

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/4/39

Twitch / Blogspot

Oz compared with regular giants

San Juan Wolf compared with regular giants and Oz

the guy in the red circle is a giant. And he's a long ass distance in front of Wolf too.

Oh, well. That was definitely spoilery, lol.

Spoiler:
    Not a bad developement, but I would've preferred a full 3D gear + swords squad killing some Titans, but seeing the difference in strength, I can understand this happening.

I'm interested in see where this is going.

I actualy do sort of kind of hope the mangaka would do an OP reference, but I doubt it. Most of these giants so far look random possesed person-y.

You know I actualy ran around like crazy to try and get someone to scan this a year back? And I never even read a single chapter or saw a scan, I just saw the red titan on the volume cover and wanted to see more.

And I actualy first saw the titan.....on the introductory contents page of one of those "extra" chapters of Fairy Tail.

As in the random "in between missions, outside of continuity" crap Hiro does so he can have even more blatant fanservice, not like the one time he released three chapters at once without even taking a break the week before or after.

I read through all the raws. This series is fairly interesting. The red giant was 50 meters, not feet. But yeah the art's... not good really. Nor is the composition. A lot of the time it's small panels with big spaces in between them for no reason. But the story is good enough to make up for that, and maybe the author will get better with time. The giants, though, are supposed to be off proportion. There are a lot of shots where they're dramatically so, to show they're not human.

Last few chapters were kinda dull though. I guess that's inevitable because they need to establish more characters. And more background and stuff...

Kewl is one of the guys I pestered about this series.

Fortunately he never responded.

I wonder, I heard alot of people mention how "big" this series is in Japan, any source availible for us to see how popular it realy is ?

It recently got really popular when V3 came out. It's something you don't see too often. All 3 volumes have been on the Oricon top 30 for a while, all selling over 450K.
    http://www.oricon.co.jp/rank/obc/
    The Japanese title is 進撃の巨人. It's still selling like 30,000+ volumes even a few weeks after V3 came out.

Well, how many other manga primarily about giants are there, honestly ?

It's something I have not come across meself before.

Quote Originally Posted by No Maam View Post
    Well, how many other manga primarily about giants are there, honestly ?

It's something I have not come across meself before.
    Does Evangelion count? Technically they were organic...
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

Never read it , so I can't say.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information