+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 173 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack on Titan

Default Re: Shingeki No Kyojin Manga

Quote Originally Posted by Gliblord View Post
    It's not a borderline shounen, it's a shounen--the only thing that matters when applying the term is the target audience, and since it runs in Bessatsu Shounen Magazine, that makes it automatically and unambiguously shounen. It's just a shounen that is atypically mature and serious tonally.
    I just call it that because I like to give stuff sub genre's, to me series like this one, early JJBA, Hokuto No Ken and Hunter x Hunter would of done just as good as a seinen of course a few twirks here and there would need to be done and I can tell the shounen aspect of the series.
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

^I could call you a freudian sociopathic Klingon demagogue. Because I feel like it. You don't have to agree.

But I would be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Aohige_AP View Post
    ^I could call you a freudian sociopathic Klingon demagogue. Because I feel like it. You don't have to agree.

But I would be wrong.
    You could.

and I can always use the classic 70's commercial line "I'm not a doctor...but I play one on TV"

also klingon threw me off. lol

So what's the story with Shueisha rejecting this exactly

Did he just go to Jump, got told to come back with panty flash fighting, and then went right to Kodansha

Couldn't they just get this published in another of their magazines

Seems like a major blunder

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrich View Post
    So what's the story with Shueisha rejecting this exactly

Did he just go to Jump, got told to come back with panty flash fighting, and then went right to Kodansha

Couldn't they just get this published in another of their magazines

Seems like a major blunder
    I want to know more about this now.

The author talked about it on his own webpage.

He first went to Weekly Shounen Jump with his manga, but they told him he'd have to change his style to fit their magazine.
    He didn't want to compromise, so he went to Weekly Shounen Magazine next. They liked him.

He lists manga artists such as Miura (Berserk) and Ryouji Minagawa (Spriggan, ARMS) as manga artist he admire, and in particular ARMS influenced him the most.

Although IMO, Spriggan > ARMS > Peace Maker.

Yeah the Berserk influence is pretty obvious though he somehow managed to outcreep Miura as the Titans are far more unsettling in their simplicity than the sometimes ridiculous masses of teeth and dicks that make up most of the Apostles

Good for him if he gave the finger to Shueisha, although I admit picturing Eren grinning like a goofball with Naruto and Ichigo in one of these Jump covers makes me laugh

Well, if I was a WSJ editor, I'd say the same thing too.
    His style would fit right in with Young Jump, but it wouldn't fly for WSJ.

Since it seems he wanted to stick to shounen manga (probably for the money), going to Magazine makes sense.
    Shounen Magazine always had a more mature, older shounen atmosphere on their magazine than Jump for decades.

Can you imagine stuff like GTO running on WSJ? lol

All four of the major shounen mags have their own unique style, with Sunday and Jump being closer than others.

Isn't Jump's ultra mainstream policy pretty recent though

Back in the 80's they had stuff like Bastard!!

I thought Shingeki no Kyojin ran in Bessatsu Shonen Magazine?

Quote Originally Posted by BigLuffy559 View Post
    I thought Shingeki no Kyojin ran in Bessatsu Shonen Magazine?
    That's where his serialization landed, yes.
    That's not where he took his work to.

That's where his serialization landed, yes.
    That's not where he took his work to.
    Oh, I see. So WSM editors just passed it on to another Kodansha mag that would be a better fit. That's what WSJ should have done then. They could have made Shingeki no Kyojin fit in Jump Square without any changes IMO. Doesn't Claymore run in Jump Square? The tone and content of Shingeki no Kyojin isn't much darker or violent than that(at least from the little I have read of both).

Claymore is pretty vanilla compared to SnK

The author talked about it on his own webpage.

He first went to Weekly Shounen Jump with his manga, but they told him he'd have to change his style to fit their magazine.
    He didn't want to compromise, so he went to Weekly Shounen Magazine next. They liked him.

He lists manga artists such as Miura (Berserk) and Ryouji Minagawa (Spriggan, ARMS) as manga artist he admire, and in particular ARMS influenced him the most.

Although IMO, Spriggan > ARMS > Peace Maker.
    I can see the Muira influence in this series BIG TIME.

Well, if I was a WSJ editor, I'd say the same thing too.
    His style would fit right in with Young Jump, but it wouldn't fly for WSJ.

Since it seems he wanted to stick to shounen manga (probably for the money), going to Magazine makes sense.
    Shounen Magazine always had a more mature, older shounen atmosphere on their magazine than Jump for decades.

Can you imagine stuff like GTO running on WSJ? lol

All four of the major shounen mags have their own unique style, with Sunday and Jump being closer than others.
    That is very odd to me seeing as how WSJ had titles such as Hokuto No Ken & Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure in it which each one of those series doesn't technically have the same feel as most other WSJ manga's.

I realy need to catch up.

Also, WSJ's briliance is once more demonstrated.

New chapters @ mangareaders *-*
    Theories : Buggy will become a shichibukai just cuz of the Impel Down lvl 6 prisioners behind him, Moria is alive but in a coma, Ivankov will find Sabo in the New World as 1 of the Rev. Army commanders, next nakama is a fishman something like a Great White

Sweet...now to catch up again, lol

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Chapter 19: The court scene was great still no court scene in existence beats the one in To Kill A Mocking Bird and I hope that one mans religion isn't Christianity. I'm keeping my fingers cross for a Mormon.

Chapter 20: Hanji's experiments are interesting and having a base outside of the walls for the scouting legion makes perfect sense

Chapter 21: The emotions in this comic are captured incredible well I must say. On another note I absolutely love all of the color pages at the start of each chapter.

Chapter 22: Learning about the formations and how the different colored flares are used was fun...the ending though...

Chapter 23: that battle was intense

Chapter 24: Damn that titan can kick some serious ass. "Forest of Big Trees" haha, this just shows how well humanity knows it's own world now.
    Last edited by GEPPETTOSMONSTER; August 13th, 2011 at 07:43 PM.

These new chapters are fantastic

What I liked the most is how the author is fully aware Eren and Mikasa shanking people at age 9 is suspicious, I wasn't sure if we were supposed to think it was a heroic gesture to take at face value and it was basically the only problem I had with the manga until now but he cleared it up with the court scene, the guy definitely knows what he's doing

Zoe is hilarious and that special chapter as well as the test subject titans was nothing short of horrifying

I love this

edit also I'm putting money on the female titan being Annie
    Last edited by Aldrich; August 14th, 2011 at 12:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldrich View Post
    These new chapters are fantastic

What I liked the most is how the author is fully aware Eren and Mikasa shanking people at age 9 is suspicious, I wasn't sure if we were supposed to think it was a heroic gesture to take at face value and it was basically the only problem I had with the manga until now but he cleared it up with the court scene, the guy definitely knows what he's doing

Zoe is hilarious and that special chapter as well as the test subject titans was nothing short of horrifying

I love this

edit also I'm putting money on the female titan being Annie
    I'm not good with most character names, who was she again?

The blond chick from the trainees who joined the military police

The one who talked with Armin and Connie about what they'd do if they were told to die

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information