+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 172 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: Attack on Titan

Default Re: Shingeki No Kyojin Manga

eaf4e9

Great character development .

I really like Eren's characterization. He's earnest and good at heart, but also something of a killer at heart. I like a main character whose good qualities contrast with his driving motivation--bloodlust.

I also love how strong the action girls are. No faux.

I actually think Eren's kind of a douchebag and he's basically the only thing I don't thoroughly enjoy in the manga

Interesting volume, nice to see the author give some substance to his characters and keep on doing his awesome worldbuilding

And just when I thought the Titans couldn't get any more unsettling and repulsive he comes up with that barfing stuff

A douchebag? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Gliblord View Post
    A douchebag? Why?
    I haven't read the latest chapter, but I do remember one thing that surprised me was him murdering Misaka's kidnappers. They definitely had it coming, but all the talk of survival and bloodthirst seemed strange for him to have at that young. I always assumed he got it more after the beginning of the manga with the giants taking over the outer area.

Well yeah, like I said, killer at heart. His unreserved, remorseless slaughtering of Mikasa's would-be kidnappers is the perfect example, if his constant declarations of wanting to annihilate every titan weren't enough.

That a protagonist would be so naturally vicious but so otherwise normal and even kind (e.g., towards Armin) is interesting to me.

I find him generally unpleasant

He's sort of a good fit for the kind of story this is, but he's definitely not someone I'd call likeable

Read volume 3 last night and damn this series just gets better and better.
    Member of Negima is Super Awesome
    MY YOUTUBE channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Mcwhirlpoolinc?feature=mhee

Looks like there are raws for chaps 19-23, any group working on scanlating those or are they waiting for the 5th tank? I read the raws up to a point but the vocab is pretty tough and those walls of text are really tedious to translate for an intermediate guy like me

What's the lance corporal guy called

I've seen Rivaille, Rivai, and now LEVI

I know there's no official romanization but are all these versions correct or what

it's リヴァイ (rivai), which I'm guessing is supposed to be transliterated as Levi.

I actually really like the main character! Hes like one of the few Male protaganoists that finally has a pair! He also doesn't fall into the like 5 overused cliches in all of anime.

I guess though with the killing people as a kid thing some folks would be turned off, only if they dont realize that HE realizes that everyone is living in fear and living in the birdcage of a City, and that his restless frustration of constantly living in fear of the giants (however small that might have been at the time) and the combination of seeing humans do that to someone, and the situation he found mikasa in (he did see mikasa's mutilated parents bodies and figured the same would happen to her if he didnt act)

His actions there make perfect sense to me.

But I guess you may think that he is suffering from *bit mouth main character syndrome* Where a character is all talk.

Personally I find him to be a bit of fresh air in comparison to other protagonists out in the manga anime world. he isnt retarded for one(the steins gate lab coat guy takes this one)
    knows what he needs to get done...and does it

AND is not perfect *omfg I am so gAr* and has room for growth. . .

AND the flashbacks showed that he HAS grown, and how other characters contributed to his development in those flashbacks

oh and I think the giants are just some war machine gone bad, Probably from a war 100 years back and the giants were just some "Secret" weapon from another continent that was unleashed on another populace(that we are looking at now) and were never "Turned off" Hell it could be that the other nation still knows about it and keeps upgrading the giants and sending them to kill(hence the uber titan that just 'Happened' to be tall enough to breach the gate 100 years later)

I mean its already been hinted that the giants can be . . .'Driven' you know the nape of the neck being about human size+the fact that the MC can ride it, and the Doctor knows a LOT and then disappears etc etc. . .points to something more sinister and/complex than just 'Mother nature getting revenge' and since they apparently can survive for 100 years without getting food(humans)
    Last edited by Luphrecio; August 8th, 2011 at 04:24 AM.

Great sage,equal of heaven Darkstorm's Avatar

I agree they're probably bio-engineered, but they don't eat humans for food, it's for fun.

They're obviously human created, and probably former humans too

I remember reading on another forum that the gibberish on this double page was actually reversed katakana or something and when you flipped the pages 180° you got some backstory about what happend a hundred years ago

Basically the walls were already built when the Titans showed up, the people who survived were of high political power, and the new land behind the walls was supposed to be worshipped as a sacred place where mankind would be united without strife

That fits with what Dot Pixis talked about, with the way they sacrificed 50% of the population in the pointless "recovery mission" so they'd have less mouths to feed and how suspicious the king, Eren's father and other "elites" living in the innermost walls seem to be

Allright I am officially caught up with this series and damn this series is good. I just love the human emotional aspect of it, to me the titans are just a plus.

If anyone would care to tell, would this series be catagorised as a seinen?

No, it's shounen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gliblord View Post
    No, it's shounen.
    Damn...than guess i'll consider it to be one of those borderline shounens like Hokuto no Ken, Hunter x Hunter and early JJBA

It's not a borderline shounen, it's a shounen--the only thing that matters when applying the term is the target audience, and since it runs in Bessatsu Shounen Magazine, that makes it automatically and unambiguously shounen. It's just a shounen that is atypically mature and serious tonally.

Oh, yes, what luck I checked on mangareader... Will be off reading. Loved the storyline so far, very curious how it continues.
    *reads*
    3DS friend code: 2964-8756-2295
    Games: Pokemon Y & Alpha Sapphire

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information