+ Reply to Thread
Page 200 of 201 FirstFirst ... 100 150 190 198 199 200 201 LastLast
Results 3,981 to 4,000 of 4011

Thread: Attack on Titan

Default Re: Attack on Titan

For the first time with this series, I wish it would get on with it. Even with all the slow parts in Trost, the Uprising and Marley arc.

The idea that the Marleyan Eldians don't have any other perspectives but their own to go off of has been done several times now.

Zeke failed to take down Levi because he goes off of this only perspective he has, which is that the Eldians are dumb, prideful assholes. He doesn't understand that they do everything to make all the sacrifices that happen mean something and take action when needed.

This has been done in different ways for a bunch of characters now. Eren, Reiner, Gabi come to mind. All stuck in their own perspectives at first.

https://m.imgur.com/a/u3xs7Hz
    Another one bites the dust
    Spoiler:
    Cripple Levi will still be the bane of Marley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    https://m.imgur.com/a/u3xs7Hz
    Another one bites the dust
    Spoiler:
    Cripple Levi will still be the bane of Marley.

Link shows up blank for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    Link shows up blank for me.
    Shit, looks like the chapter got deleted.

“When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love have always won. There have been tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they can seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall. Think of it--always.”

Well Levi gonna be out of the final battle

That hurt my soul.

Nope, still don't care much about Zeke.

Me either. Your dad was a dick, but you are an even bigger one, Zeke.

But Levi's not down yet!

I feel like everyone in their world is an irredeemable bastard.

Hidden:

So quick question. Has anyone else heard about this author hating Jewish people and being a holocaust denier?

I ask cause another group I'm in has cancelled him over this.

Sounds like something some die hard nerd would came up because of the racism present in the manga.

Hidden:

The whole eldian-marley situation seem to point in the opposite way.

That's kinda why I'm asking here. People tend to know what's happening more or have better articles.

I'd say he'd be more of a "Rape of Nanjing" denier. If anything. We have yet to see the shoe drop, if Eren's revenge against everything attitude, or Sasha's family attitude is going to win in the end.

The way that Japan is with their WWII crimes is disconcerting, to say the least. Remove your rapist heroes and war crimianls from named graves or proper temples, ask for forgiveness while there is still people who can forgive you, offer compensation to them, and stop denying that story. Or else it will become a myth and come back to bite you whenever you least expect it.

I'm more inclined to believe Zeke's family than the Marley goverment, considering that there might be some truth in the ancient titan's war, but I seriously doubt that any of that has anything to do with the modern plot, is irrelevant who in ancient history, with mind control involved, attacked first, the important part is to end the oppresion of the Eldian people, and for them to forsake the titan weapons. If they have the power to control if they can breed or no, then they can also turn off the titan potential.

3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Baroness View Post
    That's kinda why I'm asking here. People tend to know what's happening more or have better articles.
    The only "fact" we have is that Pixis was based on a imperialist admiral from the Korean War era.

Hidden:

The Isayama "hating the Jewish" (and in association the story being imperialist and nationalist) claim comes from Isayama's insensitive and racist tweet about Korea that surfaced 5 or so years ago, along with a blog post from 2010 or so about Pixis being based off of a famous war criminal and Isayama talking about him in a positive light.

What a lot of discussion around this ignores is the nuance behind Isayama's racism.

Japan has a lot of heavy racism going on against Koreans. They still deny and don't acknowledge what they've done to Korea properly to this day.

This racism, however, stands alone. It has nothing to do with anti-semitism, although stuff done to the Jewish people and the Koreans equally comes from racism and they equally suffered because of the actions of countries with an imperialist/nationalist mindset.

The thing is, the story supports the Eldians. You're clearly supposed to root for the Jewish allegory race inside the story.

So, how is this possible? How can Isayama understand the struggle and horrible things the Jewish people went through and still say stuff like that Japan actually helped Korea with their occupation?

The answer is, he doesn't really make that association - he can't turn the same lens involving the Jewish people inwards to Japan and them doing the same thing as Nazis.

I think he might've grown past that viewpoint, considering one post was almost a decade ago and the other was a tweet from 5 or so years ago and nothing else has surfaced since then. AoT is nothing but sympathetic to the oppressed race and sees Marley's and Hizuru's ambitions to take advantage of the Eldians as something negative. The story sees Floch's wish to rebuild the Eldian empire wrong, too.

So, while Isayama said something shitty, nothing what he said actually has any real direct association to what's going on in the story, as dissonant and as strange as it seems. I'd also like to give him the benefit of the doubt because his comment and post are so old now and nothing else seems to have surfaced.

It's a complicated issue made simple by people who don't look closer at any of it.

The second part of the complaint is that the story uses military imagery at all, but the thing is, what this ignores is that the story portrays war as brutal and horrible and something to be stopped. The openings of the story are a lie. War isn't glorious in AoT, it's horrible and brutal. So, while Isayama said some shitty things, I don't think the story supports any of it.
    Last edited by Kizuchan; February 11th, 2019 at 02:39 PM.

this is so fucking stupid lmao

Thanks Kizuchan. For the more detailed explanation.

Another aspect of this: I do think there are elements to criticize how the oppressed race and racism is handled in the story.

For all the story does right, the oppressed race should never be "given reason" to be oppressed because race is superficial and the only real difference between races is appearance. The story is sympathetic to the Eldians, but they can turn into giant flesh-eating monsters, actually giving the oppressors a reason to oppress them, however wrong it is portrayed in the story. A lot of stories about racism fall into this trap by making the allegory of the oppressed race into some sort of special power. But no, black people, Asians, the Jewish people, any racial minority (or even other minorities, like sexual minorities) don't have a secret superpower or some special trait because of their race/sexuality. They're just regular people like the majority. That's part of why racism is the issue it is - it's all based on images created of the race and using that image as a reason to hurt the minority race for convinient reasons to the majority (making them slaves to work for the majority, getting their money and land etc).
    There is no actual "valid" reason behind it.

Add to that, the Jewish allegory isn't entirely tactful because the Jewish people have always been victims. They never had a grand empire conquering other nations.

I think this all could be resolved by making Marley a liar through and through. A twist that all people can actually turn into Titans and the Eldians never had a empire to begin with - I think that would make the story much better because it would make the hate just based on convinience of using the Eldians by building a image around them and withholding the truth for the sake of Marley's gain. Having a vilifying picture painted of them is actually something the Jewish people face. They were and still are used as a scapegoat to blame all the world's problems on them. If the history Marley created and the reason why they treat Eldians horribly is just because of convinience for them, it would make the allegory work much better. There is plenty of basis of Marley's story being a complete lie, the biggest being that the only real reason they want to attack Paradis is resources. As it is now, it's pretty shaky, but I feel like that kind of twist is almost obvious because it fits really perfectly with the parallel it's going for.

Also, I've seen people say that it came out Isayama is a Nanking denier (which is why this discussion likely cropped up again), but unlike the other claims, I haven't found any source for that claim looking around. Do you guys have a source on that?
    Last edited by Kizuchan; February 11th, 2019 at 11:47 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information