+ Reply to Thread
Page 293 of 297 FirstFirst ... 193 243 283 291 292 293 294 295 ... LastLast
Results 5,841 to 5,860 of 5939

Thread: Western Comics thread

Default Re: Western Comics thread

I'm rapidly catching up on my backlog (yay!) and I really gotta say, I'm getting burnt out by all the crossovers. Catching up on Wolverine and X-Force and the whole X of Swords issues felt like such a sidestep, and didn't really push me to follow X of Swords.

Poor Al Ewing with Guardians of the Galaxy, had to write a tie in for Empyre, then resumed his storyline for 1 issue, to only then write another tie in for King in Black. It's moments like that that make crossovers more annoying than anything.

So I'm not surprised Ben Percy left Nightwing after having to go through the whole "Ric" Grayson editorial mandate. Kudos to him for his final Nightwing issue: literally burning down the house and the previous costumes as he goes away.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    I also think is kinda petty, but I agree the "culture" of fixing art - that you find in tumblr and twitter - you find to have problematic content fo fit your view is not exactly a nice thing to due (in artist to artist relations).
    Art is a thing that's a product of it's time, and a relation between artist, patron, content, intend and text and subtext of the piece. And as such has to be accepted as product of it's time, dispute the appearance of what can be called problematic content.
    I agree that art should be seen within the context it was made, but as an explanation and not justification. Like when people keep bringing up that Lovecraft's writing was a product of its time, it doesn't really excuse the racism, just explains it. (extreme example, I know)

"Fixing" said art actually, imo, doesn't help address the problems. Should a pin-up style cover be used for a teenage comic book? Probably not, but it helps to sell to horny teenagers. Does "fixing" art helps to promote a healthy debate of sexualization and irreal idealization of male and female bodies in comics? No, you're just saying that those old white cis male author are pigs, sounding like a pretentious puritan police.
    You didn't helped the industry to change, you didn't opened a good debate about the theme, you just gave said company and said artist free advertisement.
    Ehh this feels like a slippery slope of "if it sells, it's fine", which is a capitalist angle that I don't care for. I don't see anything wrong with pointing out people as "pigs", and it's not out of being a puritan; I don't care if someone is drawn in a sexualized manner, and it seems unnecessary for MJ. Ugh gimme the variant cover, please.

It came across to me as a more interactive way to open the discussion, rather than just words. I can see how that's in bad taste, yet Campbell's punching down here.

Lovecraft was all kinds of fucked up due to his family upbringing of him, it's no excuse but an more apt justification on why he acted like that. I swear, I have a compendium of letters of him or As If: Modern Enchantment and the Literary Pre History of Virtual Reality because I'm sure of reading a letter of his - and I think the second book has a quotation to this letter and reference - of him saying in the late 30s that he would probably laugh about some of his old beliefs.

The issue is: the industry won't change it's practices if they are profitable. And I'm ok in ousting pigs like John K and Savino, who are repeatedly offenders, I can't say enough about JSC's cover artist career to pass a judgment of his works, but if he constantly sexualizes females in unnecessary manner - cough Mashima cough - than it should be talked to.
    Otherwise it comes to the fuzz about hiring Manara to draw a cover for Spider-Woman and expect that an illustrator that made erotica his whole life wouldn't sexualize the heroine on said cover.

There was nothing sexy about that cover. Especially due to how ugly it looked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It's almost as if a companywide mandate dictated by a guy that had no interest at all in the actual comics or movies, but just hated Fox, was a BAD idea.

Only Ike Pearlmutter ever thought the Inhumans could replace the X-men. Literally no one else forced to do that nonsense thought it was a good idea or it would work, no fans wanted it and everyone could see through it, and it showed.
    I was actually super interested in the idea, when in infinity war story saga, the Terrigen mist spread throughout the world and activated in people who had hints of Inhuman Genetic mutation throughout the entire world, I thought it was a super cool set up and interesting idea to expand the Inhumans and cause world wide conflict within Marvel Comics

I thought Marvel could pull it off and make Inhumans really popular, I still think they could have done it with the right writing team, because given the right writers and artists you can make any idea actually work if the people are the right ones doing it

granted I never thought they hand a chance of replacing X Men, that was just silly, the X Men are the god damn X men!

So I bought the Inhumans issues as they came out..... and it was just okay at best, nothing ground breaking or remarkable

But I still bought the first Graphic Novel when it came out solely based on how much I liked the art work and coloring on the first three issues, it was really good even if the story wasn't

Weekly X
    Spoiler:

Way of X is crazy good. Two volumes were a banger.

I would rather have Death stayed dead after his confrontation with Ororo.

Hickman's upcoming X-book:

Hidden:

Weekly X
    Spoiler:

Nimrod is online. That's bad. So Raven will bring an Inferno to Krakoa because she can't have her wife? Geez.

More Shadow King shadow working. hum...this doesn't bode well.

Weekly X - Hellfire Gala Edition
    Spoiler:

Nice start to the Hellfire gala on the Marauders, it seems that UK-Madripoor-Russian are forming an anti-mutant alliance.

Oh Hank wants to bug the entire world with Terra Verde biotech that already turned out to be too dangerous, classic. And how rude not to invite Wade, cancer is a mutation.

Hellions keep being one of my favorites. And wait, is that supposed to be the Sinister that "died" at Arrako in the end?

Weekly X
    Spoiler:

Not much to say about Exaclibur, I hasn't been a great book for me.

Well that was a slow Xmen volume. Namor being a dick, nothing new on that front.

Oh Howard the Duck at Stange Academy.

Kevin Feige showing up put me on anti-depressants.

Weekly X: Hellfire 3rd week edition.
    Spoiler:

Oh Krakoa claimed the planet formerly know as Mars, now Planet Arakko. And Jaime's male pregnancy of SWORD station 2.

The New Mutants group chat was funny, and damn who though it was a good idea to left Farouk unchecked? Now can we bring back a clone of a clone? Will Havok ever get the chance to have his Goblin Queen back?

Man, X-Corp is chore to read.

Looks like Ms. Marvel is getting her origins and powers retconned in the comics: https://twitter.com/gwenstacying/sta...43232038051843

There were already rumours they were changing her powers to energy projection for her show because the shape-changing was too expensive (which, if true, good luck to Netflix One Piece). And obviously, they can't do the Inhuman stuff without Inhumans established in some way.

Good get rid of the Inhuman stain. But keep the stretching powers - at least on the comics.

Molecular Time Travel?
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Molecular Time Travel?
    To stretch, embiggen or shapeshift she doesn't need an intake of mass, her powers take mass from herself from past and future in a quantum level (meaning multiverse shennanigans).

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    To stretch, embiggen or shapeshift she doesn't need an intake of mass, her powers take mass from herself from past and future in a quantum level (meaning multiverse shennanigans).
    Even that explanation doesn’t make it any less Voodoo Shark esque.

Weekly X: Hellfire Ball #4
    Spoiler:

"You mind controlled a country."
    "You terraformed a planet." Man, Hank is petty and pathetic.

Ororo Queen of Mars. That's...just beautiful.

Drunk Kurt, I wish we had seem more of it.
    Last edited by pariston_hill; June 23rd, 2021 at 12:20 PM.

Weekly X: The Final Gala
    Spoiler:

No more Pretender. And oh Aurora and Akihiro are in for a bunch or murderers too.

These Summers and there disrespect of Wade. Only Old Butt likes him.

She had it coming.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...nkId=122805166

Hidden:

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information