+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 324 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: SQUARE ENIX - Single Player RPGs are dead?

In your mind. I'm a figment of your imagination.

Default Re: The Worst Final Fantasy Ever Made

Crossword pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why FFIX isn't very well liked in some circles. Then there is the whole Kuja issue.. I still remember how pissed some people were when they found out Kuja was a guy.. T'was entertaining to watch them bitch about it to say the least, though it's another reason why some people don't like the game. (As silly as it seems.)
    Really though, I found FFIX to be one of the better ones in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Rogue View Post
    Crossword pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why FFIX isn't very well liked in some circles. Then there is the whole Kuja issue.. I still remember how pissed some people were when they found out Kuja was a guy.. T'was entertaining to watch them bitch about it to say the least, though it's another reason why some people don't like the game. (As silly as it seems.)
    Really though, I found FFIX to be one of the better ones in the series.
    After looking up an image of Kuja on google, yes, I can see how people could mistake him for a woman.

"You are my living legacy" Naked Snake's Avatar

Pretty Androgynous If You Ask Me

Quote Originally Posted by veemonthedemonking View Post
    Out of all the Final Fantasys, IX and XI I hear the least about, XI is mostly because it's a mmo but IX I hear really nothing about, any reason for that? Is it bad or just not cared about that much?
    IX was one of those unremarkable games, really. It was at the end of the PS1's lifespan. It was decent, but the Chocograph and other elements were extremely time consuming for very little reward. Plus, hardly any of the characters besides Dagger, Zidane, and Vivi were fleshed out beyond their initial introductions.

As for XI, it's because most people had an aversion to it because of its MMO status. I played it... for 6 years. It's extremely challenging, but the jobs are extremely unbalanced. Every job released since Summoner is average compared to the original jobs, except maybe Dancer and Corsair. Blue Mage, Scholar, and Puppetmaster are all fun to play but really don't hold much weight in end game. Leveling was a chore; unlike WoW or most other MMOs, questing was not worth it since only about two quests reward XP (and those are in the form of scrolls), and many quests only rewarded a paltry amount of gil (the currency in the game) or a mediocre at best item. The quests that were actually worth it required multiple people to do, many of which had to be paid to assist (yes, there were a lot of mercenaries in this game). RMT ran rampant for years and at one point a simple item cost 1,000,000 gil (which is still a lot, even by today's standards). There's even one boss (well, two, but the latter, Pandemonium Warden, was released for a very short time before this happened) that took over 8 hrs to fight and still would not die, something they changed.

But... It's still extremely popular in Japan. I mean, it's on its 4th Expansion and the 5th, Plight of Lune, is in development.
    I called it wrong, so long ago. I guess this needs to be changed.

9 was a great game, one of the best ones, it just looked colorful, bright, chibi and playful and was more positive, instead of dark, emo lanky and and realistic, so that turned a lot of people off.

To pull a comparison familiar to this forum... FF9 looked like One Piece, when after the previous games people were expecting it to look like Naruto. They ignored a great game just for that reason alone, which is pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by robbybevard View Post
    9 was a great game, one of the best ones, it just looked colorful, bright, chibi and playful and was more positive, instead of dark, emo lanky and and realistic, so that turned a lot of people off.

To pull a comparison familiar to this forum... FF9 looked like One Piece, when after the previous games people were expecting it to look like Naruto. They ignored a great game just for that reason alone, which is pretty stupid.

Actually the two before 9, I thought were pretty bad, 7 I never finished because I thought it was horrible and 8 is better but not by a whole lot but I may have made a mistake skipping 9 to get to 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Naked Snake View Post
    Chrono Cross Wasnt As Good As I Had Hoped
    Nothing Compared To Chrono Trigger
    I totally agree. I was just using chrono cross as an example to enforse why i like 6's battle system.

That picture of Kuja is from Kingdom hearts. Find a pic from the actual FF9 game. He looks really feminine in his original design.
    edit: here

you know what, no wonder he looks feminime. they designed him with feminime hips
    Last edited by captain usopp; November 3rd, 2008 at 05:40 PM.

Well, at least the game itself notes this, and calls him girly-looking...It wasn't like Magna Carta where the only man-woman difference was breast size.
    Also, I absolutely loved IX. It was a bit on the easy and simple side, but atmosphere and fun goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuchirinhon
    Firstly, as you pointed out, there's a little OFF button on your Gambits. Use it.
    I'm aware of that, but with the amount of and duration of some of the battles (consisting mostly of naught but meelee attacks anyway), and with the game and its' battles being based on the gambit system...
    Sure you can play gambit-less, and I certainly admire your patience for doing it - but I don't think I'm the only one who feels it is an unnecessary chore. It wasn't the intent of the game, and fighting without gambits people would still use the same strategies and commands- it only takes much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuchirinhon
    Secondly, if you still want to rely on Gambits [I never do], use a different set-up.

You're complaining about something that is completely your doing. Stop blaming the game for you choosing to play it a certain way.
    The thing is, I used the propably most unimaginative, simple gambit system the game offered. Hit enemy with meelee attacks, heal self, use protect on self. If something that simple takes you too the game effortlessly, then the game is to blame for being too easy. I would totally agre with you had I spent dozens of hours creating an exceedingly complex über system, exploiting all the games weaknesses and utilizing the most Hax skills/items/equipment....but, attack, heal protect was all I could be bothered to set up. I didn’t grind excessively or quest for super gear, I just used the tools the game gives you.
    If THAT makes it easy, then you need to create purpously bad setups in order to get any challenge, which is retarded. ”You beat FF V with a white mage, a black mage, and 2 physical fighters and found it easy? Well, obviously you should beat it with a party of bards then!”

Quote Originally Posted by Sandai Mera View Post
    The International Version allows you to give each character one of twelve license boards that carries a specific job
    i remember reading about that. And I'm glad that they fixed a fair amount of things with the game (they made summons better as well i believe). The license board/job system in the international version was cool cause once you picked a job for someone I don't think you could have changed that.

doesn't do me a whole lot of good since they won't be releasing it here anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko135 View Post
    i remember reading about that. And I'm glad that they fixed a fair amount of things with the game (they made summons better as well i believe). The license board/job system in the international version was cool cause once you picked a job for someone I don't think you could have changed that.
    You can't

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko135 View Post
    doesn't do me a whole lot of good since they won't be releasing it here anytime soon.
    Or ever no international version of any FF has ever came stateside unless I'm mistaken.

thats a shame.. cause i'd really like to pick that one up

Out of the FF games I've played(VII, VIII, IX, X, and X-2), I'd have to say I thought X was the worst. I didn't like the new system for learning abilities. I liked the level/exp system in the others. It had a good story and good graphics but I just lost interest at the calm land. I couldn't play XI because my computer wouldn't be able to handle it and I got XII but didn't want to play it because I didn't like the change from turn based battles to active battles(or whatever it's called).

No no, trust me. Leaving turn-based battles is SUCH a breath of fresh air. No random encounters! That in itself is a reason to try the game.

The only times I missed turn-based is during big boss fights, where I like to micro-manage. Other than that I don't really miss it at all.

IX, IMO, was one of the best.

The reason it wasn't talked about much is because by the time it was released in America, It was overshadowed by discussion of the PS2 and FFX.

As far as what I consider the "Worst" FF...

II tried something different, while it looked good on paper, in practice the system was impractical.

I know VIII recieves a lot of praise, but I just don't see why... It had a bland cast of characters, an absurd story, a broken system, and overall felt like an RPG of a different series. (As in, The way Square put "Final Fantasy" on nearly every one of their games during the SNES/GB Era.)

I like the Final Fantasy series as a whole, but those two are what I consider to be the "Worst."

Quote Originally Posted by NGeno View Post

I know VIII recieves a lot of praise,
    More so than VII?

I hated the Junction system in VIII. I couldn't play the game because of that.

Otherwise, Crystal Chronicles was awful.

Kiro Tsubuki

Turn based battles are awesome because there is a smaller chance of the enemy attacking you more than once. In FF12 some bosses could hit you 8 times in a row and that wasnt to cool.

By the 7 Sons of Pwngoat! *Meh*'s Avatar

ATB (Active Time Battle) can be fun; it's certainly challenging, if you're used to turn-based RPGs like DQ. On the downside, it requires well-balanced enemies at every turn. That, or lots of grinding. If a FF game forces me to spend three hours levelling up before I can even enter the next dungeon without getting smoked by generic enemies, then the balance is off, in my opinion. The first Final Fantasy suffered from this very problem, and it was turn-based!. It only became enjoyable after I'd gotten my party to level six or so. Before that, it was a chore. Of course, the fact that it used a magic system very similar to D&D's may have been the root cause (since Pool of Radiance seems to suffer from the same problem.)
    I'm like Hisotensoku: Not here to preserve peace, nor to destroy it. I certainly can't move mountains. Mostly, I'm just full of hot air.
    - *Meh*

Quote Originally Posted by Strongbad456
    I got XII but didn't want to play it because I didn't like the change from turn based battles to active battles(or whatever it's called).
    Quote Originally Posted by satsuki
    No no, trust me. Leaving turn-based battles is SUCH a breath of fresh air. No random encounters!
    Turn based combat and Random encounters are not neccesarily linked; Plenty of RPG's utilizes one, but not the other. The grandia series shows that it's perfectly possible to abolish random encounters, and still have turn based battles, whereas the Tales series oft utilizes random encounters, but all the battles are real-time.
    Personally, i missed ATB a lot more than random encounters; after all, the FF' series' core gameplay lay in the wyou fought battles, not in the way you got into batttles.

I noted an interesting approach to random encounters in Wild Arms 3-- you'd be warned one was imminent and could cancel them-- as long as you had the resources.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information