+ Reply to Thread
Page 314 of 324 FirstFirst ... 214 264 304 312 313 314 315 316 ... LastLast
Results 6,261 to 6,280 of 6480

Thread: SQUARE ENIX - Single Player RPGs are dead?

Default Re: SQUARE ENIX - Shadow of the Chapagetti >>>> Cup Noodle XV

What's funny to me is that Final Fantasy can still stay afloat using their remakes, their mobile games, and XIV. I still haven't played XV, but it's funny to see the main series be their 'let's do something different that people won't like' while the fanservice games (and XIV) keep them afloat.

So, maybe I'm the last to know about this... but a good portion of the backstory and world building for FFXV is done in the movie Kingsglaive. Then the 5-part Brotherhood series goes more into the backstories of the main characters. Ugh, I shouldn't have to watch those to get the full story. At least Brotherhood is free.

Reminds me of XIII, and how the only way to REALLY get the backstory and world building is to read all the lore the game gives you.

I think the lore is more forgiving of an aspect. I always think of Dragon Age and all the lore pieces I collected and never bothered to read, and still, you can beat Dragon Age and understand what's going on without lore, more or less. FFXIII? Eeeeeeehhhhhhh...

And even in XIII's defense: You don't need to read the lore to comprehend the CHARACTER backstories. I know people don't agree, but XIII did have backstories and character arcs for all six main characters. Some better than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Insider2000 View Post
    I still haven't played XV, but it's funny to see the main series be their 'let's do something different that people won't like' while the fanservice games (and XIV) keep them afloat.
    Remember when Square used to pump out new IPs whenever they wanted to test out something new? Yeah now days they're just like "Got a new weird idea? Lets make it a titled FF serie to ensure that it would sell!" (and it does)

It would be as if Enix named their Dragon Quest Builders game as DQ 11 and called it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by valiantt View Post
    Remember when Square used to pump out new IPs whenever they wanted to test out something new? Yeah now days they're just like "Got a new weird idea? Lets make it a titled FF serie to ensure that it would sell!" (and it does)

It would be as if Enix named their Dragon Quest Builders game as DQ 11 and called it a day.
    In their defense: They did give us Bravely Default/Second, which is wonderful.

But as someone who adores Parasite Eve and Chrono Trigger/Cross to no end, I get you.
    Last edited by Insider2000; January 6th, 2017 at 08:43 AM. Reason: And teenage me would have lost his shit over games like FFRK and Dissidia. ...Okay, I still lost my shit, but still!

Quote Originally Posted by Daz View Post
    stuff.
    Absolutely nothing to say to your actual comment. But digging the Last Unicorn avatar. I may have to Shmendrick it up.

On the subject of storytelling in SE games, does anyone know what the response seems to be in Japan? What I mean is, though theres' by no means a consensus, SE games like FF and Kingdom Hearts generally fumbling their stories is a pretty common viewpoint in the West. But -and I could be way off here - I just get the general gist that the response is way more positive in Japan.

I'm not trying to say that Japanese storytelling is inferior; plenty of japanese games have great stories, and plenty of western games have godawful stories. But I can't help but wonder if some of the things we bemoan and lampoon (stilted dialogue, shallow characters, truncated arcs, unearned emotion, being way too flowery/vague/complex to the point that things start getting incomprehensible) are simply not considered and issue in japan.
    I've noticed some distinctions between Eastern and Western philosophies of storytelling, mostly by comparing Western-made works to anime. I don't know if I'm skilled enough to pick out specifics, but the flowery/vague/complex thing is one of them. Japanese video games seem to have a tendency to go for the self-serious philosophical angle, putting that in front of character growth, in almost every example I can think of.

I mean, I don't know if anything is more exemplary than Final Fantasy IV vs. Final Fantasy VI.

FF4 is a great, near-excellent Final Fantasy game, but FF6 is just on a different tier. It's pretty much objectively one of the best games in the series. By what I'd consider Western standards.

In Japan, FF6 seems to be considered great, but FF4 is the masterpiece.

As to why that is? I can't really say. I wouldn't mind delving into this line of thought later, though.

it's weird being the guy who only likes V out of the SNES FFs when the IV vs. VI debates comes up

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Absolutely nothing to say to your actual comment. But digging the Last Unicorn avatar. I may have to Shmendrick it up.
    I'm not aliveeee
    I'm not aliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiveeeeee

Even though I saw it for the first time last year, somehow the undead winyl came to mind for a new skeletal avatar. Great film but man, those first few minutes with the Bug are rough. Glad I powered through

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Quote Originally Posted by Ruin View Post
    it's weird being the guy who only likes V out of the SNES FFs when the IV vs. VI debates comes up
    Hot take: VI is by far my least favourite of the SNES FFs, and V is easily in my top 3 for the series. You are not alone!

Thats not to say that I don't appreciate the extreme character focus of VI, but as a story it just sort of deflates in the second half, and the gameplay has not aged that well (tools, blitz, tools, blitz, everyone learns cure magic, tools, blitz)

I wish I could care for half of the main cast of FFVI.
    Spoiler:
    Original Stories:
    Hybrid
    Four Swords

I feel like I poked a bear there.

Though V is in my holy trinity of ff games so I dont disagree there. It just has company with VI and IX.

The main problem with 5 is it wasn't released until years later, so it doesn't sit as a contemporary, but as a lower budget later game on the DS.

No fault of its own, thats just how it was released in the US. That said, while the job class system was super fun, I do think it had the weakest story of the three.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I wish I could care for half of the main cast of FFVI.
    Eh, with a cast of 14 that's gonna happen. Long as you like a few of them that carries it pretty well.

Even though I saw it for the first time last year, somehow the undead winyl came to mind for a new skeletal avatar. Great film but man, those first few minutes with the Bug are rough. Glad I powered through
    One of my all time favorite movies (and books) but yeah, the butterfly bit is rough. And... is WORD FOR WORD exactly the same in the book.

The issue of FFV being released later for us never was an issue for me, since I never owned a Nintendo system until the Gamecube. So when I had the chance to get and play FFV, I got it at the same time as IV and VI with the PS1 ports.

Yes, they were terrible ports, but they were my introduction to all three.

I didnt play 5 or 6 until the Advance editions...but i actually like V..even though i got glitched on the PS1/PS3 edition in a boss fight
    <Avi Drawing Credit to PirateNeko
    My DeviantArt:http://mediafan658.deviantart.com/
    My FC is 3308-4620-6155

Aggravator via Destiny darktravis's Avatar

Man, character arcs in XV are either non-existent or are so brief that can blink and miss them.

Case in point, Prompto...
    Spoiler:

The almost entirely of his development is contained in just two scenes:

The baring of his soul on the hotel rooftop which is entirely optional.

The twist in chapter 13 which prompt(o)s a character arc that begins and ends in the same 2 minute scene.
    When Ardyn mentioned the skeleton in Prompto's closet, I'm loathe to admit that I got a little interested in the situation. Of course, the reveal happened and I was "oh, okay..."

But enough about that sidetrack called Final Fantasy, let's get to the proper topic of the thread

Last Unicorn

Book or movie, which one should I read/watch first?

Quote Originally Posted by darktravis View Post
    Last Unicorn

Yes. Do it.

I love FFV for the job system. If that's all it had to offer I'd be happy. But it also has...Gilgamesh. Yes, that's good.
    Just something fun I made during the latest Survivor playing as Monji:
    Spoiler:

3DS Friend Code: 0619 - 7302 - 6515 Oops, lost my 3DS... :(

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/10...95PExaKYe71.99

Looks like KH3 and FF7R aren't making 2017.

I think I'm gonna die of a heart attack of not surprised.

Intelligence Department, Novus Orbis Librarium

http://www.polygon.com/a/final-fantasy-7

Great read. Uematsu mentioning and praising Suikoden also got me smiling from ear to ear, being a very big fan of that series myself.
    "Yes, I'm only bones, but that's because I have an interest... in dieting."

-Gentleman Skeleton Brook

Quote Originally Posted by darktravis View Post
    Last Unicorn

Just watch the movie. The book's author was also the screenwriter and its damn near identical. The book has a couple minor, *minor* extra little tiny bits and asides, but the movie covers 99% of it all of it down to the dialogue... and it has fantastic animation and some great actors in it.

...but it does have singing. Hrm.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information