+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 320 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: SQUARE ENIX - Shadow of the Chapagetti >>>> Cup Noodle XV

Kiro Tsubuki

Default Re: The Worst Final Fantasy Ever Made

I completely agree Persona 3 the greatest, especially if you can beat the Reaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    And while I love XII for the gameplay (no random encounters!), I also love the story. I like that it's more political than "epic/mythic."
    I really don't get why people who hate random encounters are so fond of XII. I don't know about you guys of course, but the usual reason for the hate is that the encounters are annoying and interruptive if you just want to get out of a dungeon/onwards in the story, and that they at any rate all can be won by "x fight".

But no other game in the series has HALF the fighting XII has. Sidequests, minigames, and 95% of the main game is spent wandering around the map killing everything that comes your way, gazing at the horizon for the next story snippet, a mere 2 hours away. The change is that you all do it pr. automatique, meaning that you have to do even less than just "pressing x".

And I for one find it extremely dull if halfway through the game I have pretty much set up the gambits and licenses that will take me through the rest without touching the controller...all I have to do is purchase the occasional new cure/self-buff magic, and make sure everyone has the latest swords.
    This strategy caused me to, at an average level of fifty, beat the snot out of all 3 final forms of the last boss, without doing anything myself. Not once was any of my characters anywhere clsoe to having problems.

Meanwhile, FF III destroyed me at level 50, and merely had me clinging to dear life at 60.

Yeah, XII has a lot of fighting in it, but it's fighting on YOUR terms. Meaning you can choose when and where you fight. In pre-XII FF the encounters can come at any time, usually when you're in a hurry to get someplace.

Maybe I haven't set up my gambits as well as you did, but I don't think it's THAT easy. (although I do think some of the hunts are harder than the bosses. I'm not looking forward to Gilgamesh)

Out of, 3,4,6,7,8,10, that I've played, I'd have to say that 7 was my least favorite, it seemed like a backstep compared to 6.

I haven't even played most of Final Fantasies but... I wouldn't say it's the worst but VI never did it's magic on me.

I can see what people see in it, I know it was a well made game for it's time but I haven't ever been able to bring myself to finish it. Perhaps I would think about it differently if VII hadn't been my gateway for FF games.

FF7, was wrecked for my by the PC port. I didn't get the PS1 version, since I didn't get a PS1 until 2003 (and a PS2 until 2008), but I had a lovely K6-2 PC with Voodoo3 card-- so I was treated to a showstopping video-playback fault in the middle of disc 2 and regular crashes when I tried it later on a newer PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Bounty1Berry View Post
    FF7, was wrecked for my by the PC port. I didn't get the PS1 version, since I didn't get a PS1 until 2003 (and a PS2 until 2008)
    That's unusual .

By the 7 Sons of Pwngoat! *Meh*'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bounty1Berry
    FF7, was wrecked for my by the PC port. I didn't get the PS1 version, since I didn't get a PS1 until 2003 (and a PS2 until 2008)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandai Mera
    That's unusual .
    Not from my experience.
    I'm like Hisotensoku: Not here to preserve peace, nor to destroy it. I certainly can't move mountains. Mostly, I'm just full of hot air.
    - *Meh*

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Yeah, XII has a lot of fighting in it, but it's fighting on YOUR terms. Meaning you can choose when and where you fight.
    But do you ever choose not to? It's perfectly possible to avoid contacts with every enemy you encounter, but it's a chore, and then you wind up seriously underleveled or underequipped for coming battles. And other times, it's just not worth escaping, for the same reason it's not worth escaping from a pack of imps in previous FF's: It's much much easier and faster to take the fight and get the goods.

And sometimes, trying to avoid battle with tougher monsters might do as much ore more damage to the party, since, like always in the series, there's a good chance they'll land some hits before you're clear. They might even follow you, and in areas with enemies blocking the narrow corridors I often found myself with an army of beasts on my heeels, running into a new after escaping from the old.

So while you have "the choice" to fight or not to fight, there really isn't a choice at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by satsuki
    In pre-XII FF the encounters can come at any time, usually when you're in a hurry to get someplace.
    I've thought about this as well, and perhaps part of the explanation is that in XII, you're never really in a hurry toget anywhere, since the -otherwise decent- story is chopped up and administered in minute portions at huge intervals. Perhaps that's the biggest reason people don't mind XII battles; there's simply nothing else to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki
    Maybe I haven't set up my gambits as well as you did, but I don't think it's THAT easy.
    My gambits were nothing spectacular or ingenious. I just had Curaga if HP<50 /40 /30% on the characters, Phoenix down-ally, Attack party leaders target, and the rest was just self-buff, self libra, and status cures. The only thing this left me to do was input the occasional quickening chain if the boss upped his defenses. And if my party ever got in trouble, I had a back-up party of the exact same strenght and abilities ready to take over.
    If you invest in the latest swords and HP buffing gear, XII is a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuchirinhon
    That's like saying that the game is boring if you use Hero's to kill every enemy, max out all of your Materia, or just get to Level 99 through grinding.
    The key phrase was "halfway through the game". Of course, it's possible to max out all your materia before wutai or reach level 99 before Oelivert, but doing so requires extreme grinding and time expenditure, and omnipotency like that is usually reserved for endgame. Moreover, it's something you choose to work towards, jumping ahead of the games' suggested track.
    In XII, they give you unlimited heroes automatically during the course of the story, as an integrated mechanic of the games' fighting system.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsuchirinhon
    All of those involve choice, and so do Gambits. If a Gambit set-up makes the game too easy, don't use it. DURHKAY?
    A simple set of effective gambits (like the set i posted above) is more like a balanced job party in 3 or 5, a good materia combination, or a well made junctioning than it is like using KOTOR - mime.

Making purpously bad gambits would be like playing without the cure materia.

You can of course fight gambit less, but we all know what an absurd chore that would be.

honestly, my least favorite final fantasy titles were probably VIII and XII.

VIII -honestly now.. despite it's pros and cons, a Final Fantasy that actually discourages using magic and punishes your stats if you do? I spent enough time with the junction system to realize it sucks balls. For example... I felt like shit when I finally collected a fair amount of Ultima and couldn't even use the damn spell! The fact that it had a good story and presentation just made me desire a better system altogether. Using my summons and limit breaks OVER AND OVER just to win high level fights got really old.

XII -Sooo much potential! I loved the setting, the art direction, the music was ok, and the whole world was just done right! But the story sucked. Not to say what was there wasn't good, in fact, the story really kicks off and sucks you in... only to just let you down, by leaving soo much out and so much to be desired (more interpersonal interaction between the heroes would have been nice. Many of the motives and relationships felt underdeveloped). What is left is a final fantasy with no real soul. I cannot relate with one dimensional characters, and soo many subplots just failed. I really liked the Judges, but that only got a couple scenes. It just wasen't enough. No one felt really important. Penelo was altogether pointless and just seemed to be "along for the ride".. wow... that really doesn't make me want to play as her. The battle system and gambits were cool.. i had no problem with all that, but unfortunately Character customization just made everyone seem as bland as the story.. You could really just go through the game with the same 3 people if you wanted.. the license system just made everyone pretty much the same strength near the end. Who they were as a character and what abilities you assigned to them didn't have to make any sense (what I liked about IX is that every character felt important.. they had their unique classes and a specific role to the party). XII's quickenings got real old, real fast (not to mention were strangely over the top, especially in juxtaposition with how non-flashy the rest of the spells are in the game. Seeing Vaan throwing DBZ style fireballs and creating gigantic tornados or Penelo stopping time felt wrong in sooo many ways). Oh... and the summons sucked, HARD!

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

Didn't XII also take all of the defensive White Magic and formed them into a new category called Green Magic? That sounds like a major annoyance.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

you're right, they did. my problem was that even when I tried to make each character unique in abilities to what their design and personality suggested (penelo= white mage, Basch= swordsman/fighter), in the end.. most would end up having the same abilities (the game forces this on you. You just can't have Vaan be a theif the entire game.. it would be a waste not to give him other abilities). For a while I would have a fairly unique party, but eventually they would lose their individuality.

Final Fantasy X-2. This game is the only FF that disappoints me. Most dungeon are clumsly made, too much Charlie's Angel impressions, you never get to explore differant areas besides the 15 original locations, most place are off-limited, you never really explore the full history of Spira, Yuna can't swim. She still does things Tidus do, she was never able to jump down the ledges in the Calm Plains, she never jumps from branchs to branchs in Malaciania forest, Yuna never manage to go down the lake to where the Shiva temple is.

FFX-2 was never an improvement from FFX. I remember how overhyped I was when I heard about FFX-2 and was hoping that Yuna would do things Tidus can't do or go to place Tidus can't go, I was hoping that there'll be a ability system smilier to FFIX but once it came out, I found myself disappointed. This game is nothing but an poor excuse to reunite Yuna with Tidus. The story itself is very weak and most characters from FFX are OOC.
    Currently writing a book

https://www.facebook.com/redjoekido

Quote Originally Posted by Gekko135 View Post
    you're right, they did. my problem was that even when I tried to make each character unique in abilities to what their design and personality suggested (penelo= white mage, Basch= swordsman/fighter), in the end.. most would end up having the same abilities (the game forces this on you. You just can't have Vaan be a theif the entire game.. it would be a waste not to give him other abilities). For a while I would have a fairly unique party, but eventually they would lose their individuality.
    The International Version allows you to give each character one of twelve license boards that carries a specific job

Quote Originally Posted by joekido the Second View Post
    Final Fantasy X-2. This game is the only FF that disappoints me. Most dungeon are clumsly made, too much Charlie's Angel impressions, you never get to explore differant areas besides the 15 original locations,
    Um X2 had some new locations some of which had to be uncovered under certain conditions.

Yuna can't swim.
    She never swam in the X neither did Auron,Kimahri,or Lulu

she was never able to jump down the ledges in the Calm Plains,
    Does she have to.

she never jumps from branchs to branchs in Malaciania forest,
    Same as above.

FFX-2 was never an improvement from FFX.
    Um it wasn't really supposed to be.

Yuna would do things Tidus can't do
    Dresspheres

or go to place Tidus can't go,
    See my 2nd quote.

I was hoping that there'll be a ability system smilier to FFIX
    If X didn't have it I don't know why X2 would have it.
    most characters from FFX are OOC.
    It's not like they had to be exactly the same as they were in X2.
    Last edited by Sandai Mera; November 3rd, 2008 at 12:12 PM.

In your mind. I'm a figment of your imagination.

Meh, probably FFX-2. I enjoyed the game immensely, it was just good mindless fun, but from a storyline standpoint it just shouldn't have been made. FFX had one of my favorite endings in the series, and it just seemed stupid to try and squeeze anything else out of that particular FF universe since everything had wrapped up. Though again, it was good fun for when I wanted to play something a little less serious..
    Really though, since I haven't played all the FF games I can't really say for sure which is truly the worst.

"You are my living legacy" Naked Snake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp View Post
    LIES LIES your post is made of LIES! 6 is one of the best out there. Great charicters. great story. great music. great graphics. (for the time) I can play that one over and over.

The battle system is easy and convenient, for 6 as well. I am playing Chrono Cross atm, and although, the battle system is inovative and a neat idea, I litterly fall asleep playing that game. Every time. It makes things so long and boring.

BTW, the guy who writes the stories for FF. (forget his name) FF9 was his personal favorite. :)
    Chrono Cross Wasnt As Good As I Had Hoped
    Nothing Compared To Chrono Trigger

Quote Originally Posted by Kiro Tsubuki View Post
    I believe that the worst Final Fantasy ever made had to have been Chocobo Tales. I would never spend any money just to play as a stupid chocobo.The only chocobos that were cool were the Brown Chocobos in FF12. Also FF7 Dirge of Cerberus was also pretty boring. It was just a boring run and gun, beat em up shoot em up type of game. Anyway I cant wait for FF13 to come out that looks like a promising game.
    Tim F*cking Shut Up
    You Never Even Played That Game
    (Sorry For Double Posting)
    Anyway I Have Beaten
    I,II,VI,VII,VIII,IX(Good Memories I Tricked My Lil' Bro Into Buying It For His Ninth B-Day Like 4 Years Ago),X,X-2
    I've Played/Own
    III DS(Loved It),Crystal Chronicles,Tatics,Tatics Advance,XII,I Cant Remember Anymore But There Are

My Point In Listing This Is That Eight Is My All Time Fave.
    -The Junction System PWNS Everyone & Everything I Mean Come On I Had 3000 HP At Like
    Lvl 11
    -The Story Was Like Ehh Another Emo Introvert
    But He Grew On Me

My Second Fave Is XII (i'm Working On It But I'm Too Into Persona 3 Fes Right Now)
    -The Graphics Are To The Point Where Unlike In X The Characters Dont Look Straight Up Like Some Cosplayer Out Of Shinjuku
    -The Story Is All (In My Opinion At Least) Mideval European
    -The Battle System Was Refreshing At That
    -The Hunt/Mark/Sidequest Thing Kept Me Busy

My Third Fave Was X
    It Was So Beautiful
    From The Music To Lulu's Um Well You Know What I Mean
    Loved It Over All

I Got Sick Of Crystal Chronicals Cute-ness About 9 Hours In & Then It Felt Like A Chore
    Last edited by Naked Snake; November 3rd, 2008 at 03:54 PM.

Out of all the Final Fantasys, IX and XI I hear the least about, XI is mostly because it's a mmo but IX I hear really nothing about, any reason for that? Is it bad or just not cared about that much?

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

IX was somewhat old school with more medieval and steampunk over dystopia and futuristic settings, and more playful than VII or VIII, so I guess some were turned off by the lighter tone. Regardless, if you haven't played it, you're missing out. I found it a fantastic game with entertaining characters and lots of throwbacks to past games. Steiner kicked all kinds of ass.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

Eric What's Poppin
    IX Was Not What People Expected After Playing VII,& VIII With The Realistic Approach There Is Nothing Wrong With It And It's A Great Game

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information