+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: General Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright thread

Default Re: General Ace Attorney/Phoenix Wright thread

Most polished game ever? Jesus look at the models, since it's also on 3ds is astonishing.

Quote Originally Posted by black-leg jex View Post
    Whose the voice actor for sherlock Holmes? He sounds really familiar
    Sugita: Gintoki, Karasuma, Joseph Joestar.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Oh god, Instabuy. It's glorious.

But the other defense attorney just triggered like 500 deathflags.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Sugita: Gintoki, Karasuma, Joseph joestar
    I knew it! Yes please :D

Also, Baron's VA is likely Takehito Koyasu aka Dio.

Carcharodon Piledriver Crossword's Avatar

That's actually Kenjiro Tsuda (Kaiba in Yu-Gi-Oh!, Vince in Space Brothers, and Inui in Prince of Tennis). I'd never forget that tone of complete disinterest.
    ~Stargazer~, ~Distance~ original stories.
    3DS Friend Code: 2234-8294-8917

I'm really hyped for this. Let's hope it comes to the West.

I can't believe it's the first time I see this trailer! My reactions:
    -It look awesome!
    -Cool! Wright's ancestor is an attorney too!
    -That prosecutor... Looks like Von Karma and Edgeworth have a common ancestor...
    -Well... seem like the judge is the judge's almost identical ancestor... Or the judge is actually a time lord...
    -Gotta love that jurist system, it make it more realist for the time this takes place.
    -It's just me or one of that jurist is totally "Jack the Ripper"?
    -Oh look, Payne's ancestor is in the game too...
    Weird and proud of it!

Quote Originally Posted by Persian View Post
    I can't believe it's the first time I see this trailer! My reactions:
    -It look awesome!
    -Cool! Wright's ancestor is an attorney too!
    -That prosecutor... Looks like Von Karma and Edgeworth have a common ancestor...
    -Well... seem like the judge is the judge's almost identical ancestor... Or the judge is actually a time lord...
    -Gotta love that jurist system, it make it more realist for the time this takes place.
    -It's just me or one of that jurist is totally "Jack the Ripper"?
    -Oh look, Payne's ancestor is in the game too...
    Technically the reason the main series doesn't have a jury system is because the japanese legal system really doesn't have that.

The Man Who Sold the World Dumhuvud's Avatar

I think the series could have ended with the Trials and Tribulations as I feel that the Phoenix Wright trilogy is pretty much perfect (yeah, including Justice For All) and that the other games haven't even been able to touch it in terms of quality and immersion (for me). I'm really looking forward to Dai Gyakuten Saiban though, it seems really interesting. I have doubts about whether they will localize it though - I think PLvsAA was pretty much only localized because Layton is big in Europe - and if we do get it, it might be as an eShop game like Dual Destinies (which I'll gladly take over not getting it at all, but still).

Should have tried to graduate phoenix and continue the game with a full new cast, keep the engine and move on.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Should have tried to graduate phoenix and continue the game with a full new cast, keep the engine and move on.
    That is what they tried to do. And it didn't work. I think that's what they are trying again with this new game

I agree with this, actually. All the games post-T&T feel like they have a lot of great concepts, moments and characters but don't really make consistently great games. They supposedly tried this with AA4 but the higher-ups wouldn't allow it, so Takumi added Phoenix to the plot. I think AJ:AA is the weakest game in the series for a lot of reasons, partially because it was so blatantly rushed and also because it felt like the writers didn't know which direction to take it to. The end result is a mess, but I'll admit the first case was very good.

Also I like how in DGS, dog!Sherlock's design is a reference to Sherlock Hound.

keep the engine
    You mean keep the engine which was originally made for the GBA and is the reason why the original games look incredibly dated?

Quote Originally Posted by black-leg jex View Post
    I think that's what they are trying again with this new game
    New game is a prequel though. And some of the characters are blantantly Xeroxed off of existing characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumhuvud View Post
    I think AJ:AA is the weakest game in the series for a lot of reasons, partially because it was so blatantly rushed
    I never really felt Saiban 4 was rushed in any capacity.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; May 12th, 2015 at 11:10 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

GS4 wasn't exactly rushed in terms of the deadline; but it was rushed in terms of how messily the plot was resolved. If Takumi had earned plenty more time to review over his scenarios and maybe even include some ideas he had previously cut, it may have turned out to be very different and maybe even more well-received. Maybe.

GS5's case, though, was that it was green-lit but then delayed for so long; they had to bring it out sooner. Yet, it was the localization of that game which was legitimately rushed, with all the typos in the game by official release.
    Avatar by しろくま on Pixiv; Compass Birds pic trimmed by yours truly ->

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    I never really felt Saiban 4 was rushed in any capacity.
    Well it's been years since I played it so my memories aren't all that clear, but I think rushed is putting it kindly. From what I remember, none of the main characters had much backstory or motivation to do what they do, and Klavier in particular didn't really have any personality beyond the rock star gimmick, and Trucy just felt like a slightly different Maya (although to be fair so did Ema in 1-5; I'm pretty tired of that character type in the series). In contrast, I really cared about the main characters by the end of Phoenix's first game and everyone felt quirky yet human. The plot of AJ went pretty much nowhere and raised more questions than it answered. People often say that it's as good as the first game and that Capcom just didn't give it another chance, but I strongly disagree - the original worked very well even as a standalone game while still making you want more, and it had a gripping plot with a dynamic cast of characters. While all four cases in AJ:AA had at least a few brilliant moments, I feel that quality-wise they ranged from trainwrecks (4-3, 4-4) to just dull (4-2).

On the other hand, there are a lot of things it did right: for starters, 4-1 might be my favorite introduction case in the series. Some of the supporting characters such as Olga, Valant and the Kitaki family were very endearing. Kristoph would have been a great villain if he had a better motive. The game also went for a darker atmosphere and it generally worked well. And if memory serves the humor felt wittier than in the original trilogy even though it had less jokes overall.

(I hope I don't get flamed for this, it's just what I think)

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    You mean keep the engine which was originally made for the GBA and is the reason why the original games look incredibly dated?
    Badly worded, keep the gameplay and the improvements that would have been made for the hypothetical reboot, but went to Apollo's game.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by rubia_ryu View Post
    Yet, it was the localization of that game which was legitimately rushed, with all the typos in the game by official release.
    Any video game coming out of japan is going to have typos or grammatical errors and the Saiban games are definitely no exception to the point I'd be shocked if any new game didn't have any typing errors.

Klavier in particular didn't really have any personality beyond the rock star gimmick,
    Klavier was basically Edgeworth without the stuffiness and initial doucheary.

Trucy just felt like a slightly different Maya
    I think that was the intention since they didn't want to move too far away from certain aspects that were introduced in the first game.

Trucy just felt like a slightly different Maya
    I really cared about the main characters by the end of Phoenix's first game and everyone felt quirky yet human.
    I'm one of the few people who wound up not caring for most of the original trilogy's recurring cast outside of Phoenix and Edgeworth

Quote Originally Posted by rubia_ryu View Post
    the original worked very well even as a standalone game while still making you want more, and it had a gripping plot
    The first game didn't really have a plot since each case was standalone with it's own story and characters.

Kristoph would have been a great villain if he had a better motive.

That's one criticism I can actually agree with.

(I hope I don't get flamed for this, it's just what I think)
    Nah just wondered why you felt it was rushed.
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Kristoph's motives were left to the black psylocks and the next game. That never came

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Bad idea screwed further by what ultimately happened.
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Kristoph's motives were left to the black psylocks and the next game. That never came
    I always thought all those secrets the black locks represented were revealed in court. And knowing Kristoph it involved some petty nonsense.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information