+ Reply to Thread
Page 214 of 254 FirstFirst ... 114 164 204 212 213 214 215 216 224 ... LastLast
Results 4,261 to 4,280 of 5079

Thread: General Video Game Discussion

Default Re: General Video Game Discussion

So, this is happening.

It's gonna be a direct port of a near 20 year old game, but I don't care. Buying this day one no questions asked.

It's kinda weird I'm more excited to have a reason to play Shenmue I&II for the fourth or fifth time than Shenmue III, but that's life.

Anyone else getting these?

Quote Originally Posted by kouch_lee View Post
    So, this is happening.

It's gonna be a direct port of a near 20 year old game, but I don't care. Buying this day one no questions asked.

It's kinda weird I'm more excited to have a reason to play Shenmue I&II for the fourth or fifth time than Shenmue III, but that's life.

Anyone else getting these?
    Having never had the opportunity to play these, day one purchase for me too. Been wanting to get into the series for years so I’m pretty buzzing.
    PSN Username: Scoogs50

Rage had a lot of promise so hopefully they realize what was good and what was bad about it. Not really expecting anything though.

Sure hope they're not actually turning it Borderlands tone wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Ahhhhhh the La Mulana 2 Steam Page is finally up!

Still not out yet (lists 'Summer'), but I've been waiting years for this game, so I'm super amped!

Quote Originally Posted by Panda Bear View Post
    Ahhhhhh the La Mulana 2 Steam Page is finally up!

Still not out yet (lists 'Summer'), but I've been waiting years for this game, so I'm super amped!
    I really need to fire up my Wii U and play that.

Think they'll ever make a Wiiware collection for Switch?

PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

I got a diablo high right now.

Diablo III has this sytem called the "Kanai Cube", that works that if you sacrifice a "legendary item" with an effect and some materials, you keep the effect in the cube and can slot it in to your build freely, like having an extra piece of armor. So I've wanted to collect them all for a while, so I've played like 2 or 3 seasons in the past, and was around halfway. Total number of items is a little less than 400, but the number of options per class is more like 150, with 105 common for all classes, and 35 in average for each class.

I made a spreadsheet to keep track. Whenever I get way to into a game I make spreadsheets.

There is another system in place, as seasons of progress, where you play from scratch every 4 months, and there are some exclusive rewards, once it ends, all you obtained gets merged into your main account.

An old friend of mine was playing and I said "what the hell", and got in, but in the europe server, so all my progress was null and void, but that was part of the course, and in the last two weeks I've managed to get with just one class (out of 7) around a third of the cube.

I'm also gunning for the Set dungeons: every class has 4 set armors, made of 6-7 items, that give a powerful effect only if all are equiped. Somewhere in the world there are portals that lead to mini dungeons where these set bonus are put to the test, in my american account I barelly managed to do like 6, and not even all from one class, but in the european I already got all the necromancers done.

Diablo scratches a gamblers itch that I get every few months, but at least I don't have to pay for roll.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Shit man, the new Battlefield trailer looks more like Call of Duty than Call of Duty...
    “As I stand out here in the wonders of the unknown at Hadley, I sort of realize there’s a fundamental truth to our nature: Man must explore!” – David Scott, Moon

Quote Originally Posted by Wintermute View Post
    Shit man, the new Battlefield trailer looks more like Call of Duty than Call of Duty...
    Not sure if I should take that as a good thing or a bad thing

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post
    Not sure if I should take that as a good thing or a bad thing
    How about a "who cares because I'll never play either of them" thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Foolio View Post
    How about a "who cares because I'll never play either of them" thing?
    That's a fair point

So I just finished my playthrough of the oft-overlooked and relatively short-lived Wonder Boy series. Here are my thoughts on each game:

Wonder Boy - Pretty much a classic arcade style game where each stage is essentially the same, but with different layout and enemy placement. In this game, you're a cavemen with a skateboard who throws infinite clubs at his enemies, so it bears very little resemblance to any of the games that came afterwards. This was also the basis for the Adventure Island games, which, ironically, I think followed this design more than the Wonder Boy series. Anyway, for what it is, it's pretty good, though I feel the level designs could use more variety, since there are several stages in the second half of the game that are just direct rehashes of previous ones.

Wonder Boy in Monster Land - Okay, this is the only one I would actively advise against playing, because it is stupidly hard to the point of unfairness. Or, I don't know, at least the arcade version is. From what I've seen, the Sega Master System version looks like it might be a bit easier, but I can't say for sure. Anyway, despite its difficulty, this is pretty much the first "true" Wonder Boy game that set the stage for everything that came after it. But yeah, this is just a shameless quarter-eater. I mean, once you figure out where everything is how to get the best equipment, the game is pretty manageable, I guess (and I was eventually able to beat it), but this is game will still just make you want to tear your hair out, so I would recommend skipping it. Or at most play maybe the first few stages just to get an idea of it and then move on.

Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair - So, this is basically Wonder Boy's take on a side-scrolling shooter. But what's interesting about this is that it's half traditional Gradius-style shooter, and the other half is a platforming side-scrolling shooter. Meaning that for the first half of each staff, you play an auto-scrolling platforming level and shoot at enemies with your sword and then go into the second half, which is a flying section. And yeah, as far as shooters go, this is pretty darn fun. Though I do have to say that the experience that I had with this game was pretty terrible, but not through any fault of the game itself. See, the version I played was the port of the Mega Drive version on Steam, and I don't know if it's just Steam's copy that was bad or if something is out of whack with my computer's drivers, but the frame rate was absolutely atrocious, slowing down both the game and audio. So yeah, don't know if it was Steam or just me, but I guess be wary of the Steam version. And in either case, you may want to consider getting the arcade version of the game anyway, since it apparently has four additional levels that the Mega Drive port didn't get.

Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap - Okay, so it is not at all fair for me to compare this game to the other games in the series since I played Lizardcube's remake of it. But hey, I can't exactly say not to an acclaimed remake of a classic game. And yes, this game is a lot of fun and very very pretty to look at. Lizardcube did a great job giving the game a makeover and fixing a lot of the problems from the original version. That said, it still does have some issues that even Lizardcube couldn't resolve. Like the aggravation of having to change your equipment whenever you change forms or as your situation demands it. Also, the game is, unfortunately, really short. You could 100% it in 2-3 days. Though that's to be expected from a classic game like this, some might argue that $20 is a bit much for it, even with the updated graphics. Luckily though, I managed to get it for half price during a PS4 sale, and I'd say $10 is a fair price. So yeah, despite some issues, this is the first Wonder Boy game I would definitely recommend. I can't speak for the original Master System version, but the remake is a blast.

Also, of note, this game apparently picks up directly where Monster Lair left off. So yeah, as much as I hate to say it, if you don't play Monster Lair, you want to watch a Let's Play of it for some context.

Wonder Boy in Monster World - So this is more or less a remake of Monster Lair or perhaps a continuation of it? Well, whatever, it's still distinct enough to be a different game in its own right, and it's a vast improvement over Monster Lair. Like Dragon's Trap before it, this is a Metroid-style exploration adventure game in which you access and explore new areas of the overworld by collecting power-ups and items. Granted, though, there usually isn't a whole lot of reason to re-explore areas you previously visited aside from some one or two items you may have missed. For the most part the game is really well-balanced, except for one or two sections where you may have to grind for money for the best equipment. Also, the final boss is, once again, unfortunately, stupidly hard to the point of unfairness. This is why I'm very glad I had a copy in which I could use save states. But, despite some noticeable flaws, this is game is still a lot of fun to play and I'd probably argue that this is the definitive Wonder Boy game. Perhaps not the best, but the definitive one.

Also, funny story, I actually ended up playing this game twice. That is, I played two different versions of it. The first one I played was the Dynastic Hero port for the Turbo Duo and then I played the original version for Genesis. This is because I first bought the Dynastic Hero port on the Wii VC and then I got the Genesis version as part of a bundle deal on the PS store that also included Monster Lair and Monster World IV. Anyway, after playing both, I can safely say that, aside from some palette swaps and some tweaking of the difficulty towards the end, the two versions are completely the same. So unless you'd like to play Monster World only with your character dressed up in some weird beetle armor, I'd say go ahead and stick with the original intended version (although I do think they made the final boss easier in this version).

Monster World IV - The sixth Wonder Boy game. Or...the fourth? But then this one doesn't even have Wonder Boy in the title. And what about the first Monster World? Was that part 3.5? ...Well, it's the last game in the series at any rate and quite unfortunately at that. Just when the series was starting to find its groove. Oh well. It actually makes sense that this game doesn't have the Wonder Boy title since you actually play as a girl in this game, which is always great. And I'm happy to report that this is another fantastic game in series, perhaps even the best. Once again, you play as a stalwart adventurer with a sword, battle enemies, and collect items and equipment. And this time you've also got a little flying buddy to help you through a large portion of the game. Though, unfortunately, I do have to say the game has some problems. So basically, how the games works is that you have the hub world (the village) and five or six levels that you explore, collect items, and ultimately fight a boss. Unfortunately though, this game is not very collectible-friendly as, once you finish a level, it's closed off forever as are any collectibles that you may have missed. There isn't even a counter or tracker to let you know if there may still be items in the level you might be missing. Also, the game unfortunately has some stretches of overly-long repetitive adventuring areas that can get on your nerves. Also, unfair difficulty does rear its ugly head a few times here too. Still, the game is perfectly manageable and beatable and you'll likely have a lot of fun playing it. A perfect finale to the Wonder Boy series. Definitely recommended.

So that was my experience with the Wonder Boy franchise. A bit of a mixed bag, but also with enough goodies in it that I'm very glad I invested the time playing them. That said, while I do think some of these games are worth playing, I can kind of understand why people have mostly forgotten about them. Though the games are fun, I feel like they also have just enough issues that keeps any of them from becoming true blue classics. At best, they're underrated gems, but...they're unpolished gems. Aside from specific problems for each game that I mentioned, they all seem to fall victim to some recurring issues and classic 8-bit/16-bit era wankiness. Like the aforementioned difficulty, in-game items whose purpose are not inherently obvious, and secret doors that you would have no way of locating without a player's guide. And while I say its unfortunate that the series ended at Monster World IV, 3D games were just around the corner at the time and I'm not sure the series could have survived the transition.

If the game designers could have really just sat down and ironed out all the edges and taken some of the best aspects from each game (and not make a million ports for various systems) I feel like they could've come up with a true masterpiece. But hey, not every game can be perfect, and for what we got, this is still a fun little experience. So if you haven't already, I would definitely recommend playing Monster World, Monster World IV, and the Dragon's Trap remake. Buuuut, just be sure to get a copy with save states and keep a walkthrough handy.

And yes, if you must play Monster Lair, go for the Sega Master System version. Let me know if it's any good.

B-But Women didn't participate in World War 2, you guys are disrespecting history in your slightly fictional video games.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/24/1...-war-2-history
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

I hate that everything has to be a battlefield ( hah! ) for crybaby culture.

lol

What is this madness?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information