+ Reply to Thread
Page 96 of 117 FirstFirst ... 46 86 94 95 96 97 98 106 ... LastLast
Results 1,901 to 1,920 of 2336

Thread: Pixar movies

Default Re: Pixar movies

Oh, it's pretty obvious why they put in that Frozen "short". To get more butts in seats. I saw advertisements for it along with Coco ads.

'Hey, did you or your kids love 'Frozen'?! Well then you're in luck because if you come see 'Coco' you'll get more 'Frozen'!'

That's some Pixar for your Pixar.

As for the short I thought it was okay. The only enjoyable part was Olaf's song. What was truly abysmal we're the crappy previews before the movie. Absolutely nothing memorable.
    Everything's Eventual...

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    That's some Pixar for your Pixar.
    I think there's something wrong with this line.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

I like watching Elsa powers. Sadly that was all the way at the end of the "short". Also it was way way too long to be in front of the movie someone came to see.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Also I really disagree on the movie actually resolving his conflict it just make it have never happen which I don't think is standard in classic Disney or Pixar.

Remember the Frozen short was supposed to be a TV special, Disney decided to move it off TV and they really couldn't attach it to any other movie besides Coco since putting it before any movie after the holidays makes no sense and the only other Disney movie coming out after Coco this year is Star Wars.

That and they only have there animated shorts for there animated movies.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I think there's something wrong with this line.
    Lol, yes, it all blends together sometimes for me.
    Everything's Eventual...

I need to see more movies, this was great! I can hardly name a flaw. Good animation, art, story, and characters. In hindsight, I like all the little sight gags they snuck with the skeletons. And yes, I had to hold myself back from crying so I wouldn't embarrass myself in front of the one other family in the theater.

However, the perhaps the saddest part:
    Spoiler:
    Executive Producer John Lasseter

That just took me out of the movie and brought me back to reality. Thankfully the movie was over by that point.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

One thing really bothers me.

Spoiler:
    Coco seems to love her father. I get maybe if her mom was around shed not revere him/honor him, but afterwards? Why hide that from your kids/descendants?

That said, despite a personal hatred of deadbeat dads who leave their family to pursue their dreams, I thought his was handled very well.

The villain aspect was thick though, but was ok with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what hes lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Quote Originally Posted by Gizmo View Post
    One thing really bothers me.

Spoiler:
    Coco seems to love her father. I get maybe if her mom was around shed not revere him/honor him, but afterwards? Why hide that from your kids/descendants?

That said, despite a personal hatred of deadbeat dads who leave their family to pursue their dreams, I thought his was handled very well.

The villain aspect was thick though, but was ok with it.
    Spoiler:
    I didn't feel she was hiding it but that Coco's daughter shared the same opinion as the mama about someone that would abandon family.

Basically the daughter empathize more with her grandmother who did her best to keep the family together than the mother that still love the papa despite his abandonment(which I hate they just erased).

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

Saw Coco tonight and it was amazing. Definitely still on a high from it right now lol but I won't be surprised if it ends up ranking among my favorite Pixar films. The people around me were legit bawling at the end scene and I was hit in the feels too.

Some of the film, especially the beginning, reminded me a bit of Ratatouille. I think the aspect both those films rocked was the soundtrack. The constant Mexican beat kept me energized throughout the entire film. Also, the animation was absolutely superb, and not just on the environment but on the characters too. A certain character rocked some very detailed wrinkles.

Spoiler:

I liked the whole theme around Hector leaving his family a lot because it felt extremely realistic. Imelda forgetting him and carrying on with her life got some whoops from the crowd but the fact that she still has feelings for him is something a lot of studios don't do well but Pixar did. Yeah, she has feelings for him still, but that isn't the only thing that causes her to forgive him and she puts him through quite a bit of a wringer when they reunite lol.

I predicted Hector being Miguel's real dad pretty early on but Pixar definitely made that subplot pretty interesting, seemingly leading on to de la Cruz being the ancestor and then shaping that expectation into the plot that followed. Who knew today's OP chapter would be a good prelude to this movie, lol. Plus the other stuff that got revealed during Hector's reveal definitely compensated for me figuring things out too early on.

My biggest criticism of the film is that de la Cruz being exposed via camera is a bit overdone, but the truth about him had to get out there somewhere. Amazing how unfortunately relevant his character arc is.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

What was truly abysmal we're the crappy previews before the movie. Absolutely nothing memorable.
    I'm contemplating starting a drinking game for every butt joke, fart joke, and thinly veiled curse word I see in an animated preview. Or whatever kind of drinking game an underaged is capable of doing

Spoiler:

The twenty-two minute Olaf Frozen short is going to be removed from all Coco screenings starting December 8th. Disney claims that it was always advertised to have a limited theatrical run.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/...oco-screenings

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

New information about Incredibles 2.

https://www.thewrap.com/incredibles-...astigirl-hero/

Oh man, Pixar made me CRY. Which goes to show just what a good movie it is. But why cry? Because I'm a huge DADDY'S GIRL. Anybody who has a strong bond with their father is going to tear up at least a little. I had to call my dad on the ride home so I could get my tears under control.

The music actually wasn't quite as good as I would have hoped for a movie about a musician, but it got the job done. And does anything really need to be said about the art?

Spoiler:

I don't really think this movie even needs a villain in the same way Inside Out didn't have one. But the great great grandma being the villain could have been interesting. It's hard for me to imagine how that can work out if she doesn't have a high position of power in the world of the afterlife. Maybe she could work if she's like Mother Gothel from Tangled, but more of an assertive villain since the first third or half of the movie.
    Spoiler:
    De la Cruz being the villain was a bit obvious, but the Great Grandma being the villain would have been every MORE obvious. Make the lady who squashes the boy's dream the villain! Too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Went and saw Coco today.

Spoiler:
    Yep, it's a good one. It's got gorgeous animation and even managed to make me tear-up a bit at the end, but...yeah, I also kinda feel like it's missing a certain something that keeps it from joining the greats of Toy Story, Ratatouille, Up, etc. And, yes, like most of you, I saw the twist coming a mile away (and I'm a little conflicted as to whether I liked that twist or not).
    Spoiler:
    Like I said, maybe it's more powerful for those of us who are total Daddy's Girls, but maybe it just didn't have quite the right humor or plot for you.

I was also spoiled for the big reveal beforehand, but I didn't know any of the details so it still was quite interesting.

Spoiler:
    I loved the mariachi remix of the Disney castle intro theme.

Right? Now I'm imagining Jiminy Cricket singing mariachi.

As for the short I thought it was okay. The only enjoyable part was Olaf's song. What was truly abysmal we're the crappy previews before the movie. Absolutely nothing memorable.
    Really? You didn't get any nice A Wrinkle in Time previews?

The twenty-two minute Olaf Frozen short is going to be removed from all Coco screenings starting December 8th. Disney claims that it was always advertised to have a limited theatrical run.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/12/...oco-screenings
    Dammit, it's become so infamous I WANTED to see it. Disney should have made it a Christmas special on ABC or something instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Oh man, Pixar made me CRY. Which goes to show just what a good movie it is. But why cry? Because I'm a huge DADDY'S GIRL. Anybody who has a strong bond with their father is going to tear up at least a little. I had to call my dad on the ride home so I could get my tears under control.

The music actually wasn't quite as good as I would have hoped for a movie about a musician, but it got the job done. And does anything really need to be said about the art?

Spoiler:
    De la Cruz being the villain was a bit obvious, but the Great Grandma being the villain would have been every MORE obvious. Make the lady who squashes the boy's dream the villain! Too easy.
    Spoiler:

Then don't make it a big climax before the third act. Reveal it as early as the first act.

Or just have no villain at all in this movie like Inside Out. I would have preferred that. Focus on just the drama surrounding family and riskily leaving home to follow your dreams instead of exposing a murder plot.

I also still feel like Coco's dad being homesick was tol easy of a way to make him redeemable. I would have preferred the movie fully committing to De La Cruz being the real ancestor or Hector failing in the music world. And Miguel learning about how difficult and harsh becoming an artist at the expense of your family can be, and how it can change you.

The movie is fine for what it is. It's good. But I felt like the plot went for a more predictable formula than I would have preferred for a movie with this much potential to talk about balancing family obligations and personal aspirations.

Coco singing was really heartwarming though.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Coco singing was really heartwarming though.
    I would hope so. If you don't feel something during that scene something's wrong with you.

Spoiler:
    Like you said though, this is a story that didn't necessarily need a villain. Like, what if Hector DID die from food poisoning? Or a car accident or something similar? De la Cruz could taken his songs but his soul would be clean of murder. And that would give the two friends a chance to repair their friendship. And it would still be the way that Hector never made it back to his family.

Basically count Mario wants a version of the movie where disney reminds kids their dreams may not come true. I read that correctly, yes?

A Disney movie commenting on how your dreams might not always come true (key word: always, not never) is a bad thing because...?

And I'm not saying that the movie has to say you have to give up on your dreams. Only that running away to pursue a solo career, especially as an artist, can come up with a lot of difficulties that should be properly represented to some degree. It doesn't mean you can't give answers as to how you can avoid or overcome those difficulties. Or that you can't find a balance between maintaining a healthy relationship with your family and following your dream. I'm only saying that, hey, maybe running away from home to try achieving your dreams doesn't always end up as well you naively think. And it would be good for kids to actually know that instead of the constant feel good narrative that everything's going to be okay if you do whatever you want.

Also, The Princess and the Frog did something like this to a degree, so it's not completely un-Disney-esque. Frozen also did the same thing in the context of rushing haphazardly into a relationship without getting to know the other person, and how love can not only be romantic but also familial.
    Last edited by Count Mario; December 12th, 2017 at 08:35 AM.

Spoiler:

A Disney movie commenting on how your dreams might not always come true (key word, always, not never) is a bad thing because...?

And I'm not saying that the movie has to say you have to give up on your dreams. Only that running away to pursue a solo career, especially as an artist, can come up with a lot of difficulties that should be properly represented to some degree. It doesn't mean you can't give answers as to how you can avoid or overcome those difficulties. Or that you can't find a balance between maintaining a healthy relationship with your family and following your dream. I'm only saying that, hey, maybe running away from home to try achieving your dreams doesn't always end up as well you naively think.
    I think people watch movies because it's entertaining and not to take a lesson in life.

There is also the alernate version where the story is about "you can accomplish but make sure to not forget the truly important things like family."

Spoiler:
    If De La Cruz was the real talented ancestor that abandoned his family to fufill his dream rather than a murderer that killed the perfect Hector.

To me the film best version is that confrontation in the alley where Miguel is facing his Mama and both expose their viewpoint and you can see where each is coming from. To me that should have been the movie.

Of the three version of the movie I think Pixar chose the least interesting one which surprise me since I think the best would have fit their style better(same could be said of Disney with Princess and the frog/Zootopia that try to be a little grayer).

Everyone still accomplish their dream. It is just making sure you don't forget people in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    I think people watch movies because it's entertaining and not to take a lesson in life.
    Or, you know... we can have both? What a big shocker, I know.

And are you really trying to say this movie didn't have any sort of life message about appreciating your family and adamantly following what you love to do? It was just random adventures and laughs, and those urges to cry that you felt were just you having dust in your eye for no particular reason?

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    There is also the alernate one where the story is about you can accomplish but make sure to not forget the truly important things like family.

Spoiler:
    If De La Cruz was the real talented ancestor that abandoned his family to fufill his dream rather than a murderer that killed the perfect Hector.

To me the film best version is that confrontation in the alley where Miguel is facing his Mama and both expose their viewpoint and you can see where each is coming from. To me that should have been the movie.

Of the three version of the movie I think Pixar chose the least interesting one which surprise me since I think the best would have fit their style better(same could be said of Disney with Princess and the frog/Zootopia that try to be a little grayer).

Everyone still accomplish their dream. It is just making sure you don't forget people in the way.
    Exactly. That's what I'm talking about. I hope I'm not making this seem like the movie should have focused on how you should give up on your dreams. Ew, not at all. I'm only saying that, hey, it makes for a more unique and captivating narrative if you don't make the most selfish choice (and I don't mean selfish in a bad way) the easiest path to take.

Spoiler:

Or, you know... we can have both? What a big shocker, I know.

And are you really trying to say this movie didn't have any sort of life message about appreciating your family and adamantly following what you love to do? It was just random adventures and laughs, and those urges to cry that you felt were just you having dust in your eye for no particular reason?
    I just saying it's not really a priority when it comes to general enjoyment. I mean, was there even a lesson that someone would take to the rest of their lives that was in Monster Inc or Finding Nemo?

Also the movie only gets released in January down here so I can't give my take on the movie specifically, only on the general idea.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information