+ Reply to Thread
Page 115 of 117 FirstFirst ... 15 65 105 113 114 115 116 117 LastLast
Results 2,281 to 2,300 of 2336

Thread: Pixar movies

Default Re: Pixar movies

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    are about to do another Toy Story related thing, (But this time with the "real" Buzz!) so does it even matter?
    Oh for crying out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    it's honestly a bummer for this to be thought of as a bad movie because it's no wall-e/up/toy story 3.
    That's what happens when you have such a high bar set as Pixar does.

One great description I heard about Luca, I think from Double Toasted

If you're a depressed adult who wants another Inside Out, this isn't what your looking for.
    If you're a happy kid or a happy kid-at-heart looking for the next Good Dinosaur, you found a goldmine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hide View Post
    If you're a happy kid or a happy kid-at-heart looking for the next Good Dinosaur, you found a goldmine.
    Wow, that's about the most damning insult you could throw at it.

Did... did they intend that to be a positive?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Yeah, Luca is definitely a lot better than Good Dinosaur. Good Dinosaur was a boring directionless mess. Luca is fun and competently made, there's just...not a whole lot to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    They've already made inferior sequels to most of them, and are about to do another Toy Story related thing, (But this time with the "real" Buzz!) so does it even matter?
    The sad thing is that there's almost zero chance that it'll be remotely as good as Buzz Lightyear of Star Command but the latter will never get the respect it deserves.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Its really really REALLY sad that Pixar films are as mediocre as they are now. I dont even like them even a little. I hated Inside Out, I will never watch TS4 and Onward...yeah. The worst part is that other studios movies, while certainly no masterpieces on par with the Pixar epics of old, are simply way more charming and fun. Even Storks! STORKS! To be fair that one was co directed by a Pixar Alumni but still-

EDIT:I FORGOT COCO! AWESOME MOVIE.

Watched Soul, it was okay.
    You know I still don't get the answer to whether to chase your dreams foolhardily or to slow down and enjoy the little things in life.
    Like, I understand the best way to live life is to have both in equilibrium but you'll never really make it if you don't grind the hell out towards your dreams either.
    I mean, I guess it's fine if you're contented with not having to make it but is that really a message to send? I didn't like how Joe was just okay with performing the show of his dreams, or at least a significant milestone, and just went oh I thought that would impact me more.
    Yeah, it actually is supposed to be pretty damn impactful if you've actually poured your life into something and see it come to physical manifestation and fruition.
    Falling maple tree leaves are beautiful but that and this are different things in life, each with their own reason why they have fulfillment.

I felt like they shafted the whole live for your dreams and achieve them aspect into a more enjoy the slower things in life and be content with what you have and my propaganda imaginative mind just fired on all cylinders like yeah that's exactly what big corpos would want the average people to do.

Yeah, felt like I'm seriously overthinking it but then that's probably why I didn't enjoyed it.

Likes the way you smile =D Retro's Avatar

I see Luca as just basic, but an enjoyable basic. Like the studio just wanted to do something simple for a bit and have fun with the characters without too much of an overall message (the takeaway I got from this is don't be afraid to explore, don't judge others simply by appearance and let your kids be kids while making sure they stay out of danger). And I ain't complaining, it's still very charming and I adore the setting and all the characters. I guess when you're spoiled by so many movies with twists and turns for so long, it's jarring to go back to a scaled down setup. But I honestly feel this is something we needed now, things have just gotten so political that it's kinda annoying me when some of these films keep hitting me with their themes with the subtly of a brick. And I agree this is definitely not The Little Dinosaur, I wasn't bored and kept my attention from beginning to end. It does move pretty fast I'll admit, was shocked how quickly we jumped into the main story and likely could've did a bit more (but then again we likely would've gotten another Wolfwalkers-style story, I like that movie but don't need another performance plus this one went in another direction). But in the end I still dug it, it's just a nice little story about fish monsters and hanging out with your friend in summertime. Nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by Retro; June 21st, 2021 at 08:36 AM.
    Get nuts or go crazy trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    I hated Inside Out
    How can you hate Inside Out?!

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I was really charmed by Luca overall. Sure, its plot scale is not nearly as audacious as many of Pixar's other movies. But still, most everything just...works. The characters are likeable, the humor is almost all natural and good natured, the story flows. It hits a lot of spots that some other less ambitious Pixar movies didn't.

Spoiler:
    One reservation I had about the movie initially was that it was difficult to see any redeeming qualities in Luca's mother. But by the end, it was more understandable that it was a natural sense of prejudice mixed with real fear, which made for an interestingly subtle look at how tensions can form between different people. What might have made it work better is if we saw more of the sea monster town beyond just the opening scenes, the movie otherwise felt like Luca's family vs. the whole city of Portorosso.
    Last edited by Kaido King of the Beasts; June 23rd, 2021 at 10:36 PM.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    How can you hate Inside Out?!
    -The Riley plot which is 1/3 of the movie is non-existant
    -The main character Joy is obnoxious and mean and enraging in her.... Joy.
    -All the travelling sequences are visually interesting but completely random nonsense and don't really build on themselves.

The final throughline "you need joy AND sadness" is a good moment, and basically everything with Anger and Disgust is solid, there's some good jokes in there. The gum thing comes to mind.

Soul (from the same director) is similar in the opposite direction Basically all the stuff in the real world is great, especially the barber shop and pursuing his dreams, but basically everything in the spirit zone is just... whatever.

For a different example, i liked the first Cars movie. But I also hate it because its a stupid dumb movie, but there's just enough STUFF and character and heart and individual moments that it works.

Inside Out is similar. The individual pieces are fine but the whole thing isn't quite there. It's an easy movie to like and if you get caught up in it, it works fine. But its an easy movie to dislike too if its not checking your boxes or if one of the two plots is doing nothing for you..

One of these days I'm going to have to rewatch Coco without the Olaf short in front of it and see if I like that any better a second time around.
    Last edited by Robby; June 23rd, 2021 at 11:02 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

In addition to what Robby said, as someone who also just thought inside out was "merely" fine, I found it a bit hard to relate to Riley due to the conceit of the movie; like I can emphatize with her situation, but by constantly showing her actions to be decided by small cartoon characters in her mind it made her seem a bit...like a robot. I get that its all a metaphor, but when you have stuff like Riley being about to excitedly slide down a rail, then cut to Fear objecting and taking over the controls, then cut back to Riley deciding not to slide down the rails it made the link a bit too direct for me.

And yeah, a lot of the structure of the movie seems dictated by "what fun abstract psychological concept can we make into a setpiece" - as fun as the "abstract thought" section looked, it really threw me off that during the entire scene Sadness entire pitch and characterization seemed different, for the sake of explaining what abastract thought is. And the flow from the dream film set to rescuing Bing Bong in the subconcious is real weird.

I never really got hit by te Bing Bong moment either; part of that is on me never having had an imaginary friend, but also because they had Bing Bong murder a cloud person earlier in the movie for the sake of a chinatown reference. I figure that if I'm not supposed to care about that since the cloud person was imaginary, well, why should I care about Bing Bong.

Still, only ever watched it once. Might play different post fatherhood.

Bing Bong didn't hit me quite as hard as other Pixar moments either, I think the climax with Sadness hit me a little harder. Joy managed to not be obnoxious or annoying to me by the grace of being played by Amy Poehler, who is like impossible to hate and a perfect cast for Joy. All the emotions had perfect casts, really.

Part of what I also really like about Inside Out is that it was so Pixar in that it was really pushing for something different. And for the most part, it succeeded.

Saw Luca. And. Huh. How do I explain this. I guess I should start with...

I really liked it!

It wasn't "Pixar deep" but that's fine. They haven't been THAT studio since Toy Story 3 and its really time we stop comparing everything to their golden era five best films

It was fun and had energy and wonderful visuals and any comparisons to Good Dinosaur are completely out of line. This was *simple*. Good Dinosaur was *a mess*. This was simple because it wanted to be, Good Dinosaur was simple because it had no idea what it was doing.

It's not Wall-E or Ratatouille, no. Nor is it any of my other favorites, films that I absolutely knew I loved from the first watch.

But all the same its the one I *enjoyed* the most in a long time. Where I wanted to just take in the visuals and liked the characters being charming and was caught up and going along with the flow.

It felt more like a ghibli film but with some western charm and energy.

Yeah the story beats were incredibly obvious and it was simple and nothing actually surprised me, but that's fine. It worked for what they were doing. And like I said, it was intentional simple, intentionally straightforward. It arrived at that point through excellent crafting, not because they didn't know better.

It's almost certainly my favorite Pixar film in the last decade. Not the best or the most artistic or the most emotional or the most unique concept... but its the first one I feel like, right after seeing it, I actually want to watch again and spend more time with these characters and want to buy the dvd and listen to any commentary they make for it and look at special features and hunt down an artbook....

Its not going to the top of any of my all time favorite lists, it's missing that IT factor, but I liked it.

Also nice to see the Dad from Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs get more work.

Though at the end when they started showing those lineart drawings... man... how I wish this had been in 2D.

(Favorite Pixar films are Ratatouille and Incredibles. Favorite Disney animated film of the last decade is Zootopia, and the decade before is Lilo and Stitch. Other all time faves include castle of Calgiostro, How to Train Your Dragon, and Princess Mononoke.)
    Last edited by Robby; June 26th, 2021 at 03:44 PM.

Yeah. The more I think back on Luca the more I think, "yeah, that really was a darn good movie that I wouldn't mind seeing again." It really does feel like a simpler slice-of-life Ghibli movie that they would make between their bigger fantasy adventures. And that's perfectly fine.

The director of Luca is the guy who directed that charming Pixar short "La Luna" way back. So of course it's simple and charming.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

I hate to judge a movie early base on a teaser trailer, but no

Thinking Sony is becoming the studio whose company Im looking forward to the most along with other smaller studio projects when theyre not making the next Hotel Transylvania (though whatever it takes to make the the budget).

Again, few months late but would recommend Wish Dragon on Netflix. Yes, the trailer makes it very Aladdin but the second half veers in a different direction and subverts tropes to distinguish itself from Aladdin and despite the hinting towards romance, its sweeter to interpret the whole think as truly just childhood friendship (that said I am a sucker for the childhood romance trope and that beginning scene was adorable. Like Up mini story adorable cute just B+ instead of the A+ that is Up.
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what hes lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Not the most impressive Pixar trailer, but it got a chuckle from me. And they get super-duper-extra points for using Backstreet Boys.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information