+ Reply to Thread
Page 114 of 117 FirstFirst ... 14 64 104 112 113 114 115 116 ... LastLast
Results 2,261 to 2,280 of 2336

Thread: Pixar movies

Default Re: Pixar movies

Toy Story 4 is kind of hard for me to pin down, because I thought Woody's story was fantastic, but everything else about the movie felt so phoned in.

Desire's Bland Moon puffing.cinema's Avatar

so I saw Luca last night and...yeah, it's a good, fun little movie that won't make a splash. 7/10, worth it's time.

the ending and the conflict resolution were a bit heavy handed imo. they could have done much better merely by spending some more time flashing it out and gradually preparing the audience for the next beat, but it wasn't anything that jarringly bad either.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Toy Story 4 was fine. Nothing has been as bad for Pixar than Cars 2.
    The Good Dinosaur?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

The Good Dinosaur was a beautiful panning shot of scenery occasionally marred by scenes with dialogue.

I think Coco is a better film the more you watch it while Toy Story 3 was emotionally cheap and manipulative only to have all of that thrown out by Toy Story 4.
    Complicating things since 2009.

The Good Dinosaur was a beautiful panning shot of scenery occasionally marred by scenes with dialogue.
    Jesus you woke up with savagery on your mind or something?
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    Jesus you woke up with savagery on your mind or something?
    Watch the film again and then tell I'm wrong.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Watch the film again and then tell I'm wrong.
    I don't need to I remember very well not liking the voice of the main character.

The Tetsuo Ishimaru of AP Gizmo's Avatar

So saw Luca. It’s a cute film, though I wish Alberto’s character arcs didn’t pass by so quickly. Felt like given another punch up it could’ve hit pretty strongly in terms of Pixar moments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightwing
    Stay focused, cause right now you have a decision to make. Are you a man perpetually looking back at what hes lost, or a man looking forward, to what he might become?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Krupp View Post
    I want to be charitable, kind and understanding to Pixar...but then I remember Toy Story 4 and that goes into the garbage like the love I used to have for them.
    Toy Story 4 was fine though? Wasn't needed, but it didn't taint the others or anything. It *slightly* tarnishes the ending to 3 and Bonney being attached to Woody... but she's a little girl, its super realistic and natural that she'd gravitate more towards Jessie once she had both.

And the ending to 3 cheats the emotions a bit. Which is fine, good stories do, but it doesn't work quite the same on repeats.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Toy Story 4 is kind of hard for me to pin down, because I thought Woody's story was fantastic, but everything else about the movie felt so phoned in.
    I cringed a little when they did the save the cat moment at the start. (race car in this case). And saw the whole "he's going to give his badge to Jessie" thing coming way way in advance, and that wasn't quite earned.

Basically the Woody/Bo Peep stuff was a solid hour of film, but the other half hour was them not knowing what to do with the other characters.

I understand being hamstrung by Potato Head being archive clips, and not wanting SLink to talk too much to give away his replacement, but they could have found better stuff for Buzz and Jesse to do at least.

while Toy Story 3 was emotionally cheap and manipulative only to have all of that thrown out by Toy Story 4.
    TS3 is really, REALLY good the first time you see it. But after that, stuff like the incinerator scene rings a lot more hollow, and the give away ending as well.
    Last edited by Robby; June 19th, 2021 at 09:14 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I think Coco is a better film the more you watch it while Toy Story 3 was emotionally cheap and manipulative only to have all of that thrown out by Toy Story 4.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    TS3 is really, REALLY good the first time you see it. But after that, stuff like the incinerator scene rings a lot more hollow, and the give away ending as well.
    Anything and everything Ken makes TS3 worth it. Michael Keaton sounds like he's having so much fun.

Woofy...
    Who ?

Funny how this sentence applies to Disney's Dinosaur as well. Honestly, why can't Disney get dinosaur movies right?

Who ?
    The character who is off by one typoed letter one spot to the right on the keyboard, probably.

In this case, Woodu.

Funny how this sentence applies to Disney's Dinosaur as well. Honestly, why can't Disney get dinosaur movies right?
    Because Don Bluth already did it pretty darn well, and they're terrified to do an all-silent movie?

The first five minutes of Dinosaur or incredible. Theere's a reason that footage was promoted in full on tapes earlier that year. (I want to say... in front of Tarzan?)

Then they start talking and its all clliche and downhill from there.

Same happened to Spirit stallion of the Cimarron where the horses were originally silent then narration was added later. Or Racing Stripes which was abotu a zebra running in a horse race that later got Steve Harvey and David Spade voicing CGI flies or something.

Heck, even Walking with Dinosaurs insisted on adding bad dub jokes to their film, even though the show used a narrated documentary style.

Also Milo and Otis but if that didn't have a charming narrator adlibbing you might have noticed all the obvious animal abuse.

Even Fantasia doesn't really do all silence, not really.

I think The Bear from 1988 is the only film I can think of that did it right... and I only remember because I saw that in theaters as a kid and it left an impression.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The character who is off by one typoed letter one spot to the right on the keyboard, probably.

In this case, Woodu.
    Can Samuel Jackson play him?

Would you want them to so they can whore it out like The Land Before Time?

I mean...they've already whored out all their other movies anyway.

I mean...they've already whored out all their other movies anyway.
    I wanted to mention that but I didn't want to boomerang myself.

They've already made inferior sequels to most of them, and are about to do another Toy Story related thing, (But this time with the "real" Buzz!) so does it even matter?

They've already made inferior sequels to most of them, and are about to do another Toy Story related thing, (But this time with the "real" Buzz!) so does it even matter?
    Well we need them to do another stupid, fucked up, unnecessary thing to take the piss out them don't we?

Out of their first 15 years, they only had one sequel, and that was basically mandated by Disney mucking with their contract, and was originally going to be direct to video..

In the last 10 years, they've had seven sequels. With a spinoff coming.

I guess 9 out of 26 isn't *terrible* but considering none of the sequels have been great except the Toy Stories...

Sequels are their only films that have crossed the billion dollar threshold so I guess I can't blame them, but... you can definitely tell when the Disney merger in 2006 started to affect them. (It took a few years because stuff was already in production at the time.) Partly because some of the talent was funnelled to Disney, partly because more sequels were mandated, and partly just... something in their process was lost.

Also Good Dinosaur was their lowest grossing film ever, not counting the Covid films.
    Last edited by Robby; June 20th, 2021 at 12:41 AM.

Just finished watching Luca, and I had a pretty good time. It definitely has flaws (the family conflict was... ugh), but once it got going and turned into more of a slice of life flick about kids hanging out and having goals it hit its stride.

It's a perfectly solid movie that I would watch any time over 90% of what's out there. I feel like it's unreasonable that so many people online seem to think that a pixar movie that doesn't make you cry or be emotionally devastated is instantly low-quality, and it's honestly a bummer for this to be thought of as a bad movie because it's no wall-e/up/toy story 3.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information