+ Reply to Thread
Page 109 of 109 FirstFirst ... 9 59 99 107 108 109
Results 2,161 to 2,167 of 2167

Thread: Pixar movies

Default Re: Pixar movies

So...yeah, this is the Pixar thread, isn't it?

Anyway, saw Toy Story 4 today and, sure enough, despite some reservations I have, it was still fantastic and a worthy entry in the Toy Story franchise. I think I'm going to need a few more watches to fully determine its ranking among the other films, but right now I'd probably say it's the weakest. But, as I said, still very very good.

Spoiler:
    The good
    -I did NOT see that ending coming and it was a very mature way to wrap up Woody's story (though I do have some issues with the context surround it, as explained below).
    -Bo Peep was excellently characterized. A great upgrade from her essentially background character status in the first two movies, while not being too in-your-face with the strong independent woman angle.
    -All the new characters were great, but my favorite probably has to be Giggle McDimples
    -I know people were cringing at the Key and Peele characters, but holy crap if they didn't end up getting the biggest laugh in the film.
    -Gabby finding her owner was the emotional highlight of the film for me and brought me to the verge of tears, which is usually about as emotional as I get for any movie.

The not-so-good
    -Probably my biggest complaint about the film is that it seems to undermine the connection Woody built with Bonnie in Toy Story 3. It seemed like he really would end up being a very important toy for her, but nope, guess she just loses interest in him after, what, a year? Like, maybe this would've worked better if it had been a few years after Bonnie inherited Woody?
    -My second biggest complaint would be that all the previously established side characters (Rex, Mr. Potato Head, Slinky, etc.) barely get anything to do. Honestly, it feels like the writers barely even knew what to do with Buzz, just giving him that random "inner voice" subplot.
    -Forky's subplot gets resolved really quickly and then he doesn't really do much after that.
    -Not sure why they downplayed Woody and Bo's romance since it's clear from the first two films that they were an item.

Random observations
    -I never pieced together that Bo was Molly's toy. I mean, it makes sense, but Andy played with her too, so I dunno.
    -It will never not be amusing to me that the toys in this universe seem to be constantly gaslighting the human population.
    -So yeah, after how this movie ended, this pretty much HAS to be the end of the Toy Story...uh, story. I mean, I don't know what else they could do unless they want to make Toy Story sans Woody. But if they can make Toy Story 5 and keep it at this level of quality, I will be utterly amazed (of course, I did say the same about this film).
    Last edited by Nobodyman; June 22nd, 2019 at 07:20 PM.

It's okay; it actually felt a bit too long and I wasn't a fan of some of the decisions they made regarding character relationships (in a way, it reminds me most of how I feel about Monsters University but is a better film). Plus the opening sequence basically showed that they could have skipped Toy Story 3 by using a montage to show the transition from Andy to Bonnie and nothing of value would have been lost.

Spoiler:
    My breakdown would be pretty close to Nobodyman's except for two major points.

First was the ending since there's a scene early on that broadcasts what is going to happen. There's even a direct visual callback to it.
    Second was that the status quo has been completely thrown out but not in a way that would end the franchise. If anything, this creates a path forward with a much smaller cast.

Peep being Molly's is more or less a retcon since she was clearly part of Andy's room in the first film.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Saw Toy Story.

It was unnecessary, but fine. Maybe good even, but nowhere near the heights of TS3.

My Canadian wife loved the Canadian toy.

Stay for the credits.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    previously established side characters (Rex, Mr. Potato Head, Slinky, etc.)
    The voices for both Potato Head and Slinky have died, so that's probably a factor in their case. Potato Head was all archived voice clips. Slinky they had a replacement voice, but he had a pretty minimal role in TS3 as well.

Rex, well... I dunno aside from the fact they have a ton of characters at this point.
    Last edited by Robby; June 23rd, 2019 at 06:45 PM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Awww, Don Rickles died? I totally missed that somehow. How sad, who else could be Mr. Potato Head? Although I suppose now if they only make shorts after this they don't need Mr. Potato Head in large amounts.

And how could the Canadians not love the Canadian toy? It's Keanu Reeves.

Yeah, he died about 2 years ago. But he loved being Potato Head so he actually requested they use clips of him in any sequels.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

I adored the movie. Toy Story 2 is my favorite of the bunch, and I saw a lot of its themes in this movie.

Spoiler:
    I appreciated that the ending was more chill and not centered around a huge action setpiece - nothing was going to beat the incinerator, 4 didn't even try. And it made up for it at the end.

I also appreciated that Gabby Gabby took a different route from Stinky Pete and Lotso and didn't fall into an inescapable hole of cynicism. I'm not sure I would have disliked it if she had - it would have at least averted a "surprise villain" twist, but a movie lacking an endgame villain is always something a Pixar film could do more often.

Otherwise, it was a typical Toy Story blast. I wasn't sold on the Key & Peele characters at first, but their fantasy about jumping the old lady absolutely hooked me - it was executed to perfection, I was so angry at first!

Criticisms I had about the movie - Buzz's inner voice shtick got old by the middle of the story. I would appreciate a Toy Story 5 that had Buzz as the main character, with Woody either nonexistent or just in a minor role. Not sure if the cast of the other toys is complete enough to support this endeavor, but I'd definitely be interested. I would be a little more sold on Woody leaving if Bonnie had left him alone for a greater period of time - I didn't mind him leaving the gang, but I don't feel like there was enough to sufficiently establish that Bonnie could move on from him. And I get that you want to build up tension, but I honestly think the movie would have been fine if they weren't racing against Bonnie's family and creating so much stress among them - that, imo, was a distraction that the other three films, including the first one, managed to avoid.

Aesthetic always gives a movie points in my book, and this one had the best of the series.

Overall, I would rank the films 2 > 3 > 4 > 1, but they all have their place in the top echelon of Pixar.

Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Spoiler:
    Peep being Molly's is more or less a retcon since she was clearly part of Andy's room in the first film.
    Spoiler:
    Andy's room was also Molly's room in the first film, so how is it a retcon that Peep was Molly's toy when the explanation works just fine?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information