+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 117 FirstFirst ... 5 55 95 103 104 105 106 107 115 ... LastLast
Results 2,081 to 2,100 of 2336

Thread: Pixar movies

Default Re: Pixar movies

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs View Post
    I feel like it would have been better remembered (and loved, though not by much) if had appeared back in the days of Wall-E and Up when almost everyone seemed enamored with Pixar and thought they were invincible (Cars and Bug's Life excepted), and not in the aftermath of Cars 2* and Brave, when that myth was dispelled and their film schedule started to contain more sequels and prequels and audience goodwill was wearing off. People were just talking less and less about them.
    Naw. It's less about the image and more the fact the film quality actually has dropped.

Cars 2 was just outright bad. People didn't love Cars but were okay with it and Cars 3. 2 was the only one where I felt downright insulted for having seen it.
    Brave switched its directors halfway through the film and it absolutely shows, you can FEEL the line where the new guy came in, but they kept the first 30 minutes of footage because it was already done. I don't know if the mother turning into a bear was *always* the plan, but the movie just goes dumb when that happens. I know as a fact the witch part was nothing like it was originally, but they had to keep it because the assetts were already done. Compare that to Ratatouille where Brad Bird came in late and it still came out fantastic.
    Monsters University was completely pointless, and a tired 80's comedy with nothing really added to the worn out formula.
    Good Dinosaur they had a a couple decent 5 minute shorts in there but not a movie.
    Dory was... also completely pointless.
    Cars 3 was fine, it should have been Cars 2. But it was still a Cars movie.
    Coco was allright. The visuals and premise and setting were all good, but the actual story was weak. Also undercut by Book of Life coming out like a year earlier, even if they're very different movies. Also had that goddamn half hour Olaf tv special at the front.
    Incredibles 2 was fine, but an almost note for note retread of the first one with very little new to say. It had some good action bits, but it wasn't worth a 15 year wait. For all that "Brad Bird had to find the perfect story first" it feels like something cobbled together pretty fast after the first movie, not 15 years later. Not aided by the fact it was a five minutes later immediate sequel and took zero advantage of the real world time gap. It was like a new episode of a tv show, it wasn't an event. Also also, there's been like 800 new superhero movies and tv shows since the first one came out, so...

And all of those could be forgiven if they had the sheer risk tasking of the other films. Ratatouille's love letter to art and beauty, Up's first 10 minutes, WallE's silent first half, Toy Story's incinerator and growing up farewell moments.

How to Train Your Dragon's learning to Ride and Romantic Flight sequences, Spiderverse's romp through the forest, Tangled's pub thugs sequence and horse with a frying pan, that moment when Ralph wrecks Vaneloppe's car to save her, Circle of Life and everything Mufassa in Lion King, Frozen's Wanna Build a Snowman and Let it Go sequences, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs somehow working the entire time, Lego movie somehow working the entire time and then pulling off a brilliant end. One or two perfect character moments, or a sequence can make a film great, can make it art... and none of the last decade of Pixar films have really had anything like that, nothing that REALLY made them

Maybe the end credits sequence of Inside Out.
    Last edited by Robby; February 7th, 2019 at 03:29 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I dunno, this part in Coco got me pretty good.

While this decade is nothing like the 2000s for Pixar, to say there haven't been iconic moments is selling them short.

Coco was an excellent movie despite people being skeptical because of Book of Life. And like Satsuki says, that moment where the grandma has a moment of lucidity when hearing the song is nothing short of phenomenal, and as a Hispanic person watching this it really hits home too.
    Inside Out had multiple fantastic scenes in terms of humor, and at least two scenes of serious emotional greatness. Riley going back home and finally crying will never not move me to tears. Animation-wise you also have stuff like the bit with abstract deconstruction, and comedy-wise there's dozens of excellent beats with anger, disgust and fear.
    Incredibles 2 was definitely weaker, but the choreography of some scenes stands tall even among a decade of super hero movies. Nearly every action scene was a joy to watch, particularly the bike scene or Jack Jack fighting the raccoon.

Sure, quality dips because no company is perfect forever, but when the standard was so high in the first place following Toy Story 3, that's not such a bad thing. I will agree though that Good Dinosaur was terrible and should only be remembered as a lesson in it being ok to drop some ideas.

Coco got me in part because I'm a huge Daddy's Girl, so a father singing to his little girl will always make me choke up. Not that my dad can sing to save his life or anything. The whole movie got me mostly (other than the fabulous afterlife design) because of the family theme, even though I'm not Hispanic.

The only thing Coco and Book of Life have in common is that they're both about a misunderstood Hispanic musician dealing with the afterlife. Other than that, they're completely different.

I'm with Sats. Agree to disagree on Coco, I suppose, but I would absolutely not describe it as just 'alright'. That movie absolutely ruined me emotionally, it was wonderful.

Legit the best thing about Incredibles 2 is the logo designs on all the heroes. Whoever made those is a genius.
    Last edited by Wagomu; February 7th, 2019 at 09:52 PM.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Coco is the best Pixar movie they've made since Up and I'd say one of their upper echelon quality films. I thought it was fantastic from front to back.

To me, Coco is absolutely one of the best movies Pixar has ever made. It's one of those movies that is better every time I watch it, which hasn't always been the case.

Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible. - Frank Zappa

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

I'm not the biggest fan of Coco. I feel like the main family/dreams conflict had a lot of untapped potential, most of the third act ended up feeling like a by-the-numbers Scooby-Doo episode, and I called the big act 2 twist within the first ten minutes of the film. But for what it was, it's still a good film that definitely had a lot of cultural and emotional passion put into it.

Inside Out's decent too, but I feel like the human side of the plot was very predictable and not all that interesting until the final emotional climax, where it has a great moral about sadness that resonated with my personal growth a lot. That movie would have been a lot more standout to me if Riley was a teenager or the main human perspective was actually one of the parents because that has a lot more potential for unconventional story perspectives/struggles you don't see a lot in animated movies like the first Incredibles.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

Another little Toy Story 3 clip combined with trailers:

Funny little scene, but man this doesn't seem like Bo Peep. Then again, she never got much character building in the first place. And that's definitely not her original voice.

However, after seeing all the different toys and what appears to be a different room, I do think I see how Bo Peep showed up again. I'm thinking she got sold/given away to a new kid or family and the main guys somehow found their way to her house. It's a perfectly understandable way, because if I had a nice shepherdess figure I wouldn't just throw her away, I'd see if anybody wanted her or at least put her in a garage sale.

i love that it's one of those videos that has to stuff in a bunch of extra stuff - i.e the peele/kay stuff we've seen already

I'm pretty sure that's still Annie Potts as Bo Peep.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    And that's definitely not her original voice.
    No, it's Annie Potts, same woman that voiced her before. Though it has been 20 years since her last appearance.

Okay, maybe she just sounds a little different after 20 years.

This became kind of dark out of the sudden.

Uhh...huh. This seems to both veer into very repetitive territory (Woody is tempted by an alternative to the impermanence of being the toy of a specific child!) , and kind of mind-bending new one. The genesis of Toy-life is something I'm not sure is worth explaining - the series had a "just roll with it" feel until now, but making explicit rules could undermine that and open the door to all sorts of bizarre implications.

Kinda has some retread of Toy Story 2 (Woody is the one lost from the group, other toys are tempting him, where does he really belong?). Like Daz said, the toy rules aren't really things that need explanation but i guess this movie wants to tell what happens when something is realized....as a toy.

I guess you've always been able to over-analyze the rules of the Toy Story universe, so even if this one makes things more explicit the "just roll with it" approach can still work. I just look forward to the onslaught of articles dissecting the horrible existential ramifications that can arise from this.

Flagon Snaggin' Dragon Kaido King of the Beasts's Avatar
    Under your bed, in your closet, in your head

"I am not a toy. I was made for soup, salad, maybe chili, and then the trash"

I was initially quite worried realizing that Forky would be a more major character than I expected, but I liked what I saw of him from the trailer.

I had expected that Bo Peep would not instantly go back after 10 years away from the gang, and this route seems interesting at least, hopefully it sticks the landing.

Spoiler:

Seems like Toy story 2 with the temptation but with a bit of Toy story 3 for accepting change. Also I feel bad for that spork forced into a life of servitude. The toys are made to be toys a spork was force into something and now the toys are forcing it into their ways.Could be a good movie but I think Toy Story already said everything they had to say

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information