+ Reply to Thread
Page 911 of 940 FirstFirst ... 411 811 861 901 909 910 911 912 913 921 ... LastLast
Results 18,201 to 18,220 of 18794

Thread: The Nintendo Thread

Default Re: The Nintendo Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Rin View Post
    So, new rumor about the Switch reveal thing... or really the revival of an old rumor.

Remember that rumor a while back that said that Nintendo had localised Mother 3 to be released on the Wii U? The new rumor says that rumor was actually 100% true, but that someone at Nintendo last minute decided to hold off on releasing it on the Wii U and to instead make it a launch title for the Switch's Virtual Console to help drive hype for the Switch.

This one comes from Laura Kate Dale who is a leaker who's been very right about a lot of this stuff before. She was the one who leaked pretty much everything we knew about the Switch in advance.

There's ALSO a Facebook post from 1-Up Games (formerly Brownie Brown) who are one of the co-developers of Mother 3 where
    they are hyping up the Switch announcement event.

I know we've been burned before.... but.... dare I hope?

I love Mother 3... but I am not buying a Switch to play a GBA game on virtual console.

MALKIOR THE DESTROYER KaizokuJinbei's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post

I love Mother 3... but I am not buying a Switch to play a GBA game on virtual console.
    There's a chance it might not be the GBA version (not that it changes much)
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

Quote Originally Posted by RoboBlue View Post
    If that rumor turns out true, I highly doubt Mother 3 is there to singlehandedly sell systems, if it's true it's there to sweeten the pot a little bit.

Switch Friend Code: SW-1795-2519-1884

Whether or not anyone here gets the Switch, it'd just overall be nice for that game to be more accessible to the public and get more of the attention it deserves. And money too, at this rate I've poured so many hours of my life into that game, no way I won't buy it.

Even if I don't get the Switch. I seriously just want to pay back excellent work.

What's more interesting to me though, is how it will be localized if Nintendo ever does bring it over. Part of me fears the Tomato version will remain the ideal one since I don't trust NoA to leave some things alone.
    3DS Friend Code:1504-6058-2691 NNID:Anax4Aero
    Twitch Channel: twitch.tv/Nephy4

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Whether or not anyone here gets the Switch, it'd just overall be nice for that game to be more accessible to the public and get more of the attention it deserves. And money too, at this rate I've poured so many hours of my life into that game, no way I won't buy it.

Even if I don't get the Switch. I seriously just want to pay back excellent work.

What's more interesting to me though, is how it will be localized if Nintendo ever does bring it over. Part of me fears the Tomato version will remain the ideal one since I don't trust NoA to leave some things alone.
    It hurts that Japan got Mother 3 on Wii U and we won't, though. :(

It hurts that Japan got [insert several games, merchandise and events] and we didn't.

That pain is at the core of being a fan of Nintendo.

Maybe Nintendo should work on making the virtual console not a total embarrassment. In fact just redo the entire online store because it is a nightmare to traverse.

That's why you shouldn't buy VC titles. Nobody should. Don't support an anti-consumer company by being its cynical products. VC titles are expensive, limited in scope, and will go obsolete in a few years when the next console comes out.

Even as much as I'd want to support Mother 3, I think the window for that has long passed, really, and it's Nintendo's own fault for limiting the release, refusing to translate it, and keeping it domestic, and after all of that they still want us to pay them for their product?

At a certain point, I think that it's more helpful for gaming as a whole to turn more people onto emulation. Remove the stigma. Force Nintendo to compete in a market where they can't sell their NES games to you for $5 on each new console you buy, or force you to fight over the table scraps that were the NES Classic.

There are many games like Mother 3 that will never make it onto the VC, and those games have their legacy hurt significantly. This is because there's no legal way to obtain those games, and the illegal ways are stigmatized. Waiting on the former to happen for Mother 3 has taken us more than a decade, and we've still only got rumors to show from it. I think that leaves emulation as the most effective way to preserve these games. Hell, I doubt that there would even be rumors of an official release if the emulated game didn't generate cult appeal for them. So if your loyalty is to gaming, and not to companies, then I recommend picking up on emulation.

3DS FC: 0662-3589-2887
    NNID: Gibbs-free

Copy Steam or bust. I'd have an unhealthy ammount of Nintendo games from all generations if they weren't going to be lost once the next tech cycle comes.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

While I agree that emulation is important in terms of preservation and accessibility, discouraging sales of "official" means of getting a product is something I disagree with for several reasons.

1. A lot of the people that are working on these things are not at all connected or responsible for the poor decision-making that takes place higher up. We are talking about people in certification, testing, marketing, production, localization, whose jobs involve preserving a company's control over the quality of their property. If other companies in other industries have the freedom to re-sell products and do what they feel is proper to ensure their quality, why should we discourage that in gaming? It's something that if it tanks will just lead to the loss of jobs of people who are ultimately not responsible.
    I also strongly hate the idea of actively wanting to NOT support people who created an experience for you after lots of work and dedication. In this sense, I'm still a proponent of the idea of encouraging use of emulation and removing stigma from it WHILE actively encouraging people to purchase great games as much as possible.

2.The lack of legitimate purchases just leads to delivering the wrong message. We are talking about Nintendo here, they have their head so far up their own ass that they don't realize the world they live in.
    Not buying their official versions of anything will just discourage them from making it accessible altogether in any way. Showing love towards a product and encouraging sales and respect towards official means of distribution have done considerably more towards making those titles accessible than the people who push for hard boycotts.
    What's worse, this mentality will also encourage companies to aim for the more passive consumers that won't care about games as an art or as anything, because if these people give them revenue while gaming community individuals don't, then the logic of business dictate you cater to them.
    As a whole, lack of money won't make them realize they made a mistake and aim to rectify it. Lack of money will lead to them axing what is costing them money and pursuing completely different means altogether which may not even be better.
    What I do agree with is that there should be considerably more backlash against Nintendo for asking consumers to pay multiple times for titles they have already paid for. That along with proper preservation regardless of region is definitely something the industry as a whole has to begin demanding and enforcing, but it's not going to happen as a result of a capitalistic invisible hand, but as a result of conscious education and push from people in the industry for better practices and standards. And part of that is also gaming media becoming more than what it is now, since most gaming sites still maintain that air of gamer bros and tumblr geeks.

3. Why would the window for Mother 3 have passed? All games that have a vision carry that vision with them. It's like saying the beatles music lost its chance due to not being on iTunes when the iPod adoption rates exploded.
    As long as the art carries a vision with it that people want to experience, that will remain alive. Whether Mother 3 gets official release now or five years ago means the same thing: it means an important message and an important perspective gets to be communicated and preserved for more people. Time is irrelevant as long as we still have the means to play the game.

So with that in mind, if you DO care about games, enjoy them and support the games you like and admire AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. Caring for the industry goes a long way in ensuring the medium can remain with the means to create great things.

On the note of the VC and Steam, I have no issue with the Wii U VC, but the 3DS one is extremely archaic. Nintendo as a whole just needs to improve infrastructure considerably.
    As for Steam, I think that has its own issues that are becoming more evident when the marketplace is flooded with trash. I look forward to seeing what they do in 2017 to control this a bit more.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/01/...a9b00a26000009

Unsurprisingly Shovel Knight will be on the Switch.
    PSN: Ryuunaga, Nintendo Switch Friend ID: SW-1971-9767-4001, Steam: Malkior7, 3DS FC: 4167-5777-1464

I remember being pretty big on emulation....kinda gave it up after I had two desktops bite the dust, losing a lot of save data from the various games I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Leg View Post
    Maybe Nintendo should work on making the virtual console not a total embarrassment. In fact just redo the entire online store because it is a nightmare to traverse.
    It's nowhere near as bad as as the PSN store has been for the last four years or so especially with the search function. What Nintendo should do is fix MyNintendo cause simply having discounts for select digital games is kind of dumb.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; January 11th, 2017 at 02:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    That's why you shouldn't buy VC titles. Nobody should. Don't support an anti-consumer company by being its cynical products. VC titles are expensive, limited in scope, and will go obsolete in a few years when the next console comes out.

Even as much as I'd want to support Mother 3, I think the window for that has long passed, really, and it's Nintendo's own fault for limiting the release, refusing to translate it, and keeping it domestic, and after all of that they still want us to pay them for their product?

At a certain point, I think that it's more helpful for gaming as a whole to turn more people onto emulation. Remove the stigma. Force Nintendo to compete in a market where they can't sell their NES games to you for $5 on each new console you buy, or force you to fight over the table scraps that were the NES Classic.

There are many games like Mother 3 that will never make it onto the VC, and those games have their legacy hurt significantly. This is because there's no legal way to obtain those games, and the illegal ways are stigmatized. Waiting on the former to happen for Mother 3 has taken us more than a decade, and we've still only got rumors to show from it. I think that leaves emulation as the most effective way to preserve these games. Hell, I doubt that there would even be rumors of an official release if the emulated game didn't generate cult appeal for them. So if your loyalty is to gaming, and not to companies, then I recommend picking up on emulation.
    This kind of stance never occurred to me before, and although I'm inclined to agree, what else would you recommend to show strong support for the game to Nintendo, especially considering the "emulation only" route? I'm all for showing support, but I feel that money will speak to Nintendo more than emails or letters ever will, sadly. :/ And they were part of the reason (however small) that I bought EB and EB Beginnings.

Whatever the case, I don't see a reason to feel bad about buying a copy of Earthbound on my 3DS for my own reasons (but it's still crummy it was only for New 3DS systems, but seeing that I already had a N3DS at the time, I didn't see a reason not to buy EB).

As for the M3 rumors, my hopes are just the same as they were before the newest leaks, anyway. In fact, I think I've been looking more forward to Mother 4, although that's been quiet for quite some time now, too.

What I want is a trivial way to transfer your digital content. Like right now I own all the zeldas on 3ds (except OoT) and I'm not planing on ever buying them again, if it dies the collection goes down with it. I'd do the same on the wiiU with the set over there if I could guarantee the lifespawn of my collection.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    Pokemon X

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    What I want is a trivial way to transfer your digital content. Like right now I own all the zeldas on 3ds (except OoT) and I'm not planing on ever buying them again, if it dies the collection goes down with it. I'd do the same on the wiiU with the set over there if I could guarantee the lifespawn of my collection.
    This is something I'd like as well, especially with no cost involved. Even if you bought things on the Wii VC, you could download them again on the Wii U VC for about $1.50, which I think is still ridiculous since you're spending money for a game you already own. Of course, to circumvent this, you just have to go to the Wii menu through the Wii U, which is kinda inconvenient…

So yeah, having ways to transfer digital content and make it less inconvenient would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Green_vs_Red View Post
    It's nowhere near as bad as as the PSN store has been for the last four years or so especially with the search function. What Nintendo should do is fix MyNintendo cause simply having discounts for select digital games is kind of dumb.
    Yes it is. It's so much worse. Everything Nintendo does in terms of digital distribution is pretty bad. The Wii U is halfway tolerable in that it at least does things like automatically detect software updates and prompt you to take them, or allow games to redirect to the shop for DLC. But it's still a clumsy interface, and I should be able to do things like log in and purchase stuff from my PC and then have the console automatically download it. The biggest problem of course as people have been stating is that content is basically untransferable.

Maybe the virtual console could become a subscription based service? Idk exactly how it would work but perhaps doing something like that could be more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post
    Maybe the virtual console could become a subscription based service? Idk exactly how it would work but perhaps doing something like that could be more efficient.
    Efficient in what way?

Quote Originally Posted by Noqanky View Post
    Efficient in what way?
    I figure if the service utilizes cloud like how steam does the only thing you have to deal with is reinstalling the game when you change Nintendo devices something like that idk

Quote Originally Posted by KaizokuJinbei View Post
    I figure if the service utilizes cloud like how steam does the only thing you have to deal with is reinstalling the game when you change Nintendo devices something like that idk
    Oh, I thought for some reason by subscription you were talking about a paid subscription model, like PS Plus.

Well, technically Nintendo already uses accounts that track software obtained/purchased over time, they kinda have had this passively present for years.

But yea, the problem is that with Nintendo there's no ability to download a title to the same account in different platforms, and instead content is locked to the platform. They'll know you bought x on one system, but won't let you unlock it for the other, which is just an asshole thing to do.

so more than subscription I guess it's more of a thing of asking them to make content more accessible between platforms. I kinda look forward to how they will respond to a VC on Switch...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information