+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 245 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 136 186 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,720 of 4881

Thread: Game of Thrones (tv show thread)

Default Re: Game of Thrones (tv show thread)

Some mind-blowing stuff about the Others/White Walkers. I wonder if last part was a fragment of the advanced plot information Martin gave the show's producers or a show-only scene? Either way, it's good to get some more information about them. The implication that the Others take Craster's sons and make more Others from them has been a pretty widely-accepted theory (based on certain dialogue from the books), but seeing their city (?) and Darth Maul-looking leader was quite the surprise.

Also, some big changes to the plot, especially regarding Bran. I assume the writers figured they needed to do something to keep the audience from falling asleep during Bran scenes. Very intense stuff, I'm curious as to how the show is ultimately going to have this play out.

I enjoyed Sansa's IQ upgrade in this episode, her outright suspicion of Littlefinger was fantastic. Dude be creepin. I also liked the the continued Jaime/Brienne chemistry, and it's neat that the show is fleshing out Grey Worm's character. Grey Worm and Missandei are very cute. :)

preview for next week's episode:
    Hidden:

Sansa gets to the Eyrie! The series is progressing fast.

a mood come alive.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

So I think the whitewalkers converting the babies and standing blurried in the background are pureblood walkers while the ones on the horses are the babies, half human/half walkers.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    So I think the whitewalkers converting the babies and standing blurried in the background are pureblood walkers while the ones on the horses are the babies, half human/half walkers.
    Yeah who needs Occam's Razor.

Discovered Stowaway killerbee1000's Avatar

If this is advanced plot details the show writers received from George then:

Spoiler:
    They reside in a fortress in the Land of Always Winter, guessing from the Darth Maul White Walker, there might be some form of hierarchy, with the Darth Maul types being the higher ups.

I like the changes to Bran's story ... He does very little in Dance, so they really need to flesh it out if they don't want him to get too far ahead and then just be kind of sitting around doing nothing while the rest of the cast catch up or whatever.

Jon's "hero's ranging" (and his knowing about Bran ... and Locke's presence and his pretty wishy washy cover) I am less fond of but ah well. Has Ghost been at Craster's this whole time??

The thing with the Others was interesting. The general idea was pretty obvious from the books, but still only implied. Some of the visuals we got in seeing it happen were great.

Margaery ... every time I think "oh, Margaery is really quite different in the TV series," I stop and challenge myself on that. It would be really nice to have some one chapter thrown in from her perspective just to get the measure of her.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

The Others already generally look pretty different in the TV series compared to the books, so I think it would be a stretch to put any stock in the different appearance of that one Other.

This "omgwtfbbqtpygrrm" reveal it's just another RenlyxLoras type of thing, something that was very VERY implied by the text, but that we have no proper POV character around, couldn't be confirmed.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I'm still really pissed about the rape last week, and it not being addressed whatsoever in today's episode. As if it didn't have any relevance at all, kind of like it's been added to the show for shock value without thinking about the consequences- oh wait...

And more rape at Craster's. I seriously think the directors are mentally disturbed somewhat. Makes me hate A LOT of what they do.
    3DS friend code: 2964-8756-2295
    Games: Pokemon Y & Alpha Sapphire

Banned Rank: Failed Mutineer

the people who run the show and the guy who directed that episode didn't think it came off as rape. They thought it came off as consensual eventually so it's not going to be addressed or treated as rape.

Also yeah white walkers taking babies and making more walkers isn't a surprise but it'll be very interesting to see how they play this bran stuff. a smart move in their part since he basically just walks around cold and whiny for like 2 books.

Quote Originally Posted by Juvar View Post
    And more rape at Craster's. I seriously think the directors are mentally disturbed somewhat. Makes me hate A LOT of what they do.
    How dare the showrunners present the murderous rapists as rapists by having them rape people!

Quote Originally Posted by Juvar View Post
    I'm still really pissed about the rape last week, and it not being addressed whatsoever in today's episode. As if it didn't have any relevance at all, kind of like it's been added to the show for shock value without thinking about the consequences- oh wait...

To be fair, the best thing they can do with last week's unintentional rape scene is to do what they did, nothing. If Cersei doesn't make any reference to being raped or even feeling like she had sex thrust upon her, then it semi takes away the apparent stain on Jaime's character from last week.

The whole rape at Craster's thing just made sense, to be fair. They've had celibacy and duty thrust upon them for months or even years and now they have all the woman they could want at their disposal, and no one to stop them doing anything they want.

This week's episode was quite slow, but really just an episode for putting pieces into place.

I was really confused when I saw Locke in the background at Castle Black lol at first I couldn't tell if it was just a similar looking member of The Night's Watch, and then I remembered this whole plot line that's divergent from the books involving Jon and the Boltons.
    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

When Jon asked for volunteers, all I could think of was "Grenn, Edd, Pypp, extra dude that can get killed off, Locke"

Quote Originally Posted by RobZilla View Post
    To be fair, the best thing they can do with last week's unintentional rape scene is to do what they did, nothing. If Cersei doesn't make any reference to being raped or even feeling like she had sex thrust upon her, then it semi takes away the apparent stain on Jaime's character from last week.

The whole rape at Craster's thing just made sense, to be fair. They've had celibacy and duty thrust upon them for months or even years and now they have all the woman they could want at their disposal, and no one to stop them doing anything they want.
    The whole treatment, or lack of it, of the scene from last week is probably for the best narrative-wise, but it really does highlight what a terrible grasp of things the producers have. Genuinely creepy that they didn't see that as rape, or thought that a stream of 'no's indicates consent, secretly. Ick ick ick.

As for Craster's Keep and Tanner...it came across as cartoonishly evil. As if it was aiming for 120 Days of Sodom. I think we got the point without the 'rape them to death haha'. But then I am touchy because of that thing from last week.

And I can't believe they'd make a point of having the slaves free themselves, and then going back to the white saviour imagery from last season, even after the backlash then. It makes it hard to defend this show, which hurts, because (obviously, going by my avatar) I've been a big fan of it for years.
    moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon

Again, limitations of the format, the slaves are supposed to be from many nations, not just morroqui as the show implies.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Quote Originally Posted by Print Error View Post
    The whole treatment, or lack of it, of the scene from last week is probably for the best narrative-wise, but it really does highlight what a terrible grasp of things the producers have. Genuinely creepy that they didn't see that as rape, or thought that a stream of 'no's indicates consent, secretly. Ick ick ick.

As for Craster's Keep and Tanner...it came across as cartoonishly evil. As if it was aiming for 120 Days of Sodom. I think we got the point without the 'rape them to death haha'. But then I am touchy because of that thing from last week.

And I can't believe they'd make a point of having the slaves free themselves, and then going back to the white saviour imagery from last season, even after the backlash then. It makes it hard to defend this show, which hurts, because (obviously, going by my avatar) I've been a big fan of it for years.
    Haha yeah, the "rape them to death" thing was a bit much.

Well at least they actually had the slaves free themselves, and also put a lot more focus on Grey Worm's role as a former slave. I really liked the scene with him and Missandei at the start of the episode.

Grey Worm has never really been fleshed out in the books, it was nice.
    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

Quote Originally Posted by maxterdexter View Post
    Again, limitations of the format, the slaves are supposed to be from many nations, not just morroqui as the show implies.
    Yeah, I'm familiar with the books, and I read the reasoning behind that scene - namely that they needed a load of cheap extras and that meant locals, and they were filming in North Africa. But just because it has reasons doesn't mean it wasn't a really uncomfortable image, and one you'd have thought they'd have been careful not to replicate, even if the books had similar scenes.

The fleshing out of Grey Worm was excellent though. Was trying to work out if that opening scene was the first time the show has passed the racial Bechdel test.

Quote Originally Posted by Print Error View Post

I have a hard time seeing the white saviour stuff given that the Slave cities aren't some colonial/slave trade era thing. But look like some bizarre combination of Ancient Rome and Babylonia, and the show has gone out of it's way to show it's not a racial based slavery. It's antiquity looking slavery, half those scenes look like some fantasy Spartacus/Gladiator thing, not Amistad/Gunga Din or whatever. There's lots of shades of brown, some black, some white.
    They're over in like Not-Anatolia or whatever so it makes sense to just have this crazy jumble of skin colors with maybe olive tones being more common.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    I have a hard time seeing the white saviour stuff given that the Slave cities aren't some colonial/slave trade era thing. But look like some bizarre combination of Ancient Rome and Babylonia, and the show has gone out of it's way to show it's not a racial based slavery. It's antiquity looking slavery, half those scenes look like some fantasy Spartacus/Gladiator thing, not Amistad/Gunga Din or whatever. There's lots of shades of brown, some black, some white.
    They're over in like Not-Anatolia or whatever so it makes sense to just have this crazy jumble of skin colors with maybe olive tones being more common.
    The problem is that it then ends up getting represented as

which doesn't fit that 'jumble of skin colors' at all. As I said, I get why it ended up being like this - in an ideal world, they'd have had a much more diverse group of extras - but I still feel it was a remarkably short-sighted decision to run with that particular scene with that particular direction.

They've admittedly done much better this season - the slaves really are that mix that they're supposed to be.

Well I mean there's not really anyone who looks like they're from Westeros. But there's people who look Free Cities like there if that counts as white.
    The Free Cities are pretty obviously a mash up of early Renaissance Italy and Greek stuff.

THOUGH I think the real question than becomes, why are the Targayrens so incredibly pale in skin and hair if they came from right around that neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    THOUGH I think the real question than becomes, why are the Targayrens so incredibly pale in skin and hair if they came from right around that neighborhood.
    Dragon blood prevents tanning?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

This reminds me that apparently a bunch of Tumblr idiots were furious that the Moorish Spain based Martells weren't black people.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information