+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 244 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 55 105 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (tv show thread)

Default Re: Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    Finished the first book finally.
    Nice. You're in for a trip. And since you've finished the first book I can say this now.

Spoiler:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    I'm hooked. Ned's one of the greatest badasses ever.
    Do you have any idea how hard it was to not say anything to that line?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Nice. You're in for a trip. And since you've finished the first book I can say this now.

Spoiler:

Quoted for TRUTH.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
    My entire world was shattered. I cried. No joke, I cried.

Let's put this into perspective:

I've never cried over a piece of printed media ever. I was struck with great sorrow at many points in One Piece. But never did the tears actually come... eh, I teared up over Bellemere.

But I didn't tear up. I cried.

What does Martin besides missing deadlines and being lazy? Why misinterpret Lost's finale and bitch about it of course!

http://io9.com/#!5788838/george-rr-m...ending-of-lost
    http://www.westeros.org/ASoWS/News/E...eud_With_GRRM/
    http://tunedin.blogs.time.com/2011/0...dis-of-finale/

Lost a bit of respect for the guy.

Why is it with the ending to LOST, so many people seem to hear the part where
    Spoiler:
    Jack's dad says, "No, actually we're all dead. This is limbo/heaven"
    but then they all stop paying attention and miss the next line where he says
    Spoiler:
    "but everything that happened on the island was real. It's only the side story this season where we've been dead."

Its like they hear the first line and go "I KNEW IT!" and then stop paying attention. Or just weren't paying enough attention to begin with. I'll admit LOST didn't get around to quite a few elements it set up (largely due to actors) but... between the show, and a 2 second search on google into the sub media, or that bonus final episode on the last dvd where they go "fine you nitpickers, here's the explanation for the polar bears if you didn't get it the first 12 times we explained it," they DID pretty much answer all the questions you could reasonably have.

But hey, he complained about the Battlestar ending as well, and THAT was like 70% of the motivation of the whole series and featured heavily in every episode.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

It's probably because when the sentence "you're all dead" was mentioned, 90% of the people watching it started raging/posting on the internet/commit suicide to not notice what was said after that. But that's something you'd expect from an idiot TV watcher, not from a goddamn terrific writer.

Here's a great interview with Lindelof about this entire thing: http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/04/05/thrones-author-lost/

A lot of people are complaining that Lindelof can't take criticism, but I understand why got a bit miffed.

Got a real treat for you guys.

Many of you may know that Game of Thrones the HBO series will be airing April 17th, two Sundays from now.

But what you may NOT have known is that HBO recently did a preview of the first 15-minutes of the first episode

which you can see here: http://geek-news.mtv.com/2011/04/03/.../?xrs=share_fb

And I am fucking HYPE.

Of it, I say:
    Spoiler:
    It looks so fucking awesome. I think their Arya is PERFECT. Jon seems like more of a man than I pictured him, somehow.

The Others were spot on, scarier than I imagined from the books and HOLY FUCKING WIGHT-GIRL NO. A friend of mine admitted to being scared when watching them and we got him to settle on a much manlier CONCERNED.

WE WERE CONCERNED BY THEIR SPEED AND... FREAKY SOUND EFFECTS. their eyes were spot on, though.

i'm totally going to be downloading this and scheduling a big goddamn nerdy party for this son of a bitch on the closest projector i can find.
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

I likely won't be seeing the series at all until the dvd releases (don't have HBO) but everything so far looks great.

All the kids seem to have been aged a couple years... and I'm totally fine with that. As complex as the roles are, as long as it takes to film, and as long as this will hopefully run? Probably better off with them a bit older from the getgo. A teenager can fake 15-ish a lot longer than they can fake 12, and they can fake 18 for upwards of a decade. (I only just recently discovered that Willow was 23 when Buffy started!)

I likely won't be seeing the series at all until the dvd releases (don't have HBO) but everything so far looks great.

All the kids seem to have been aged a couple years... and I'm totally fine with that. As complex as the roles are, as long as it takes to film, and as long as this will hopefully run? Probably better off with them a bit older from the getgo. A teenager can fake 15-ish a lot longer than they can fake 12, and they can fake 18 for upwards of a decade. (I only just recently discovered that Willow was 23 when Buffy started!)
    Yeah, they aged up the kids, and it makes sense to. I knew they were doing it as I've been following the Facebook page and all the character interviews and... well, pretty much EVERYTHING. But somehow I didn't expect Jon Snow to look like that. No problems, though.

I'm just eager to get more Song of Ice and Fire material, tbh.

Loved the preview. Oh my, yes. I can't believe how quickly the show drew me in; those 15 minutes literally just flew by and left me staring at my screen, wanting more.

Some quick thoughts:
    Spoiler:

Everything from the costumes to the location gave me a very authentic feeling, with beautiful camerawork and special effects. The Wall in particular looked amazing, very vast and cold.

Regarding the casting so far, I find Michelle Fairley does a good job translating Catelyn's character; I find her to be utterly unlikable in the books and it seems her television counterpart follows suit. And Ned, ever somber and somewhat melancholic, Sean Bean gets that across nicely. Bran and Arya also seem to be very well cast--especially Arya, I can already feel myself beginning to love her all over again. Can't wait to see more.

I agree with Silence that I hadn't envisioned Jon Snow looking quite that way (more elegant, perhaps), but that's fine. I figure as long as the cast can make their characters believable, it's no big issue.

But that said, I do have to say that I'm really a bit disappointed with the portrayal of the Others so far. I can definitely sympathize with certain production limitations, but these things look nothing like them outside of the eyes. The Others are not jet-black beings dressed in rags; their skin is extremely pale, and they wear camouflaged armor. The white walkers, and all that. It's a small thing that certainly won't keep me from enjoying the show, but it did catch me slightly off-guard. The wight girl was wonderfully well done, I must say. It was a very chilling moment.

Also, the cool people at Westeros.org posted their first impressions of the first six episodes of AGOT; if interested, you can check it out here. It's a good read, though be warned it contains some small book spoilers.

I am so ready for this series, folks. "Hyped" doesn't even begin to cover it. ^^

a mood come alive.

Whelp, I'm on page 200, and already I've got questions and surprises coming at me:
    Hidden:

1. Almost everyone in this story likes to bitch, piss, moan or otherwise be an ass. King Robert is a child when it comes to the Dragon Family, Joffrey is a mama's boy, Catelyn's pettiness and weakness can only be outdone in unlikeability by Robert's wife, Viserys is an annoying, abusive dork (I heard he gets better), Sansa is a brat but I can actually forgive her since she's only a kid, and I'm almost sure Alliser Thorn is related to this man:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbZx6SEViEM
    I figure the only reason we still like that one guy who got his tongue cut off is because he can't make an ass of himself.
    (Disclaimer: Don't get me wrong, this still makes for good reading. It's just surprising to find everybody so pissy is all).
    2. Tyrion...what is that little man all about? He tried to kill a kid (most likely) and I still like him (unlike Robert, who got a boner from dead dragon babies). Jon and Arya have my sympathies and admiration as well.
    3. The scene where Ned finds out how much gold King's Landing really has made me literally lol.
    4. Tbh, I like how Martin skips over the long journeys, instead focusing on the pivotal parts and summarizing the more smaller parts.
    5. Aaaaaaaand Princess Dany is pregnant. And dominant. And probably a dragon.
    6. A part of me is biting my nails wondering what Robert will do if he ever finds out what his wife had been a part of crippling Bran. Not as worrisome as what will happen when Ned finds out.
    7. I like that three eyed raven. Ravens are cool. Yeeeessssss.

*Goes back to reading*

I'm still treading through the 100s of Clash of Kings. I dunno what to think about the new PoV characters just yet, but I'm really liking all the Arya focus (I've already gone through three Arya chapters at least). :)

Its always a bit weird when he adds a new POV character to the mix, but it always works out to be interesting and you usually like them by the end... even if they were a terrible horrible character you hated from someone else's POV. I still remember having an "oh shit, he's using THAT characters POV now?" at least once.

And its a real thrill when a character you *liked* from a previous book becomes a POV character.

Of course, that ALSO usually means their life is about to suck a whole lot more...

I'm looking forward to when
    Hidden:
    Samwell
    gets PoV chapters. He is one of my favorite side characters so i can't wait to see him develop and grow.

I have a huuuuge reading list at the minute, but when I finish the one at the end (probably the up -and-coming True Blood Novel) I would like to give this book series a chance. It sounds quite good.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

I've just consumed the first book in like a week, one of the better books I've read in years. I'm in the 70s or so of Clash of Kings and loving every page of it.

Having never read the books, but being warned that this was going to be epic I decided to watch the "Sneak Peek" today on Youtube.

Ho. Ly. Shit!

This show (and I'm assuming the books) has grabbed my attention.

Since I have no HBO (and I doubt Hulu+ will stream this) I'm going to buy the books as soon as I can.

Seriously, those were the best 15 mins for a sneak peek I'v ever seen.

Just nearing the halfway point of the second book (yes, I'm a slow reader). Seems the story's moving again. :) Let's see if it reaches the heights that the first book's climax did. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles the Dark View Post
    Hidden:

Viserys is an annoying, abusive dork (I heard he gets better).
    Spoiler:
    Viserys just got his crown.
    Dear Kitsune:

Heehaw! You got me!
    In other news, how did I know that little brat of Arryn's emptied out his castle by throwing people off a ledge. It's strange to say this, but now I hope that brat (or at least his mother) is overthrown.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

*Whew*
    *Wipes away tear*
    Tragic right?
    Also, just finished the first book not twenty minutes ago:
    Hidden:
    Sansa and the Hound, Arya and Yoren, Jon going into the North, the soon to be Clash of Kings between Robb, that little bitch Joffrey and Renly (not to mention Stannis if he enters the mix), Dany and her dragons, Tyrion, his band of tribesman and whatever the fuck Lysa is up to now.
    ...I. MUST. KNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWW (what's going to happen next)
    To the library.
    Also, R.I.P. Ned. seriously.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information