+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 244 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: Game of Thrones (tv show thread)

Default Re: Game of Thrones

I'm... halfway through the third book.

I am in some real fucking trouble.

(though Martin may just be waiting for the HBO series to air before he releases book 5. moneywise, that'd be the smartest thing to do)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    (though Martin may just be waiting for the HBO series to air before he releases book 5. moneywise, that'd be the smartest thing to do)
    I firmly believe he is entirely incompetent at managing his storyline and personal schedule at this point, as he's in the middle of like a 3-month tour/vacation of Europe. I don't trust him to be able to tie his own shoes, much less pull off a sneaky publicity maximizing stunt like that.

Martin is still a fantastic writer when he's not on a series that has no end, you should try some of his standalone books. Tuff Voyaging, The Dying of the Light, and the short story collections are sci-fi, but pretty good. (Not as good as Ice and Fire, but good.)
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Stephen King penned the first words of The Dark Tower in 1970, published the first novel in 1978 and finished the story in 2004.

Don't give up hope yet about it never getting finished.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post
    Stephen King penned the first words of The Dark Tower in 1970, published the first novel in 1978 and finished the story in 2004.

Most people are worried because of Martin's age.

he's also a fat, fat-headed fatty-pants fatso.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken View Post
    Most people are worried because of Martin's age.
    That and the fact that he apparently doesn't take notes, so if he dies of fatness, the novels are fucked.

I will probably never watch Game of Thrones or read Martin's book series, unless he miraculously finishes it sometime. At least, a trustworthy friend recommended this to me. I'm still kind of leaning on checking out the HBO series if anything, but I may as well also read the novel at that point.

Tough decisions??

Man I don't know why you'd willingly pass up the TV series. It's HBO so there's like a 60% chance its solid gold.

Love HBO original programming.

I was concerned over whether it directly bridges over to the next in line of the series, like a cliffhanger

The way people go on about R.R. Martin's awful pacing I figured it may have been something like that.

I may as well watch it

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiolino View Post

He also rushed those last books and they sucked. He only panicked and finished them after being hit by a car.

Mostly its the fact that Martin is in his mid 60's and... not in good shape. And he doesn't leave any notes, so its not like Wheel of Time where another author could pick it up and still get at least most of the plot points right
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

[YOUTUBE]atFX6keD95o[/YOUTUBE]

I'm excited, are you excited, I'm excited!

Mostly for Boromir.

They're did some work on this in my home-country and a bit of filming. I'd love to give the series a go and that could potentially get me into the books, like how I was with True Blood.
    Quote Originally Posted by sanji499 View Post
    I wonder what was Bale's reaction when the stunt double broke the imax camera?
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    In the United States we don't have much manga around, specifically One Piece, and mainly the newer chapters - Jan 2011

There is also news (the article is actually from Oct 10) of A Dance with Dragons' manuscript being finished this year. Not that I would believe that just yet, but there is hope...right?

http://io9.com/5660273/

Quote Originally Posted by Airflow View Post
    Hidden:
    [youtube]atFX6keD95o[/youtube]

I'm excited, are you excited, I'm excited!
    Oho, excellent~ I admit: I squealed a little when I watched this (mostly when Tyrion slapped Joffery, best moment in the trailer right there). Loved the glimpse of the Cleganes fighting each other and Ned explaining his lordly duties to Bran. Old Nan's narration was also a nice touch.

I'm really quite pleased with how this series is shaping up so far; most of my main concerns (other than the possibility that Martin will die before these damn books are finished) stem from the series' magnitude. The producers have one hell of a large story to tell by way of this show and while there's no earthly way the books can be shown as Martin wrote them, I do hope that they'll be able to streamline the script in such a way that the core elements of the plot will be preserved, with a minimal loss of the truly important details. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by renze View Post
    There is also news (the article is actually from Oct 10) of A Dance with Dragons' manuscript being finished this year. Not that I would believe that just yet, but there is hope...right?

http://io9.com/5660273/
    Eh. Interesting, but I don't dare believe it. The completion dates for this book have been nothing but one long series of cockteases. I would like to think that if Martin only had 5 chapters left to go, he would say something about it on his blog....but then, who knows. I do know that Martin stated that he would announce it the second he was done with the book, so until I hear something from directly from the author's mouth regarding his completion of ADWD, I will remain politely dubious.

a mood come alive.

It would make sense that he and his publishers want it ready to print as close to the TV series hitting as possible. If the "five chapter" thing is right, he could probably finish it up in the next few weeks and give them time to start printing copies.

Ridiculously excited for the TV series, Have that and Season 4 of Breaking Bad to look forward to next yaer.
    I really hope that Dance With Dragons gets finished this year, I've only been waiting 2 years since i finished Feast for Crows, but that's long enough for me, lol

[youtube]PZ5p18wIQEI[/youtube]

April 17th.

Be there.

a mood come alive.

Here is a behind-the-scenes video with some footage that's not been posted here yet:

[YOUTUBE]lLKVJr7QHjM[/YOUTUBE]

I am really excited. The scenes we have seen so fare look amazing. Only one month and a half to go.

On another note, there is some great news. Martin has announced an actual publication date for ADWD on his homepage: July 12, 2011
    I'm quite new to this series, so I haven't experienced his previous announcements but it sounds like it's for real this time. Believe it! I do.

http://georgerrmartin.com/if-update.html

I didn't read the books but I am definitely excited for this. I really like what I've read about it so far.

Go read the books, you won't regret it.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information