+ Reply to Thread
Page 243 of 244 FirstFirst ... 143 193 233 241 242 243 244 LastLast
Results 4,841 to 4,860 of 4880

Thread: Game of Thrones (tv show thread)

Default Re: Game of Thrones (tv show thread)

Dany's heel turn was rushed and poorly executed, I don't think anyone can argue against that

The thing that really annoyed me was the trial/council scene though

So many things that made no sense within the GoT universe

After Robert died we ended up with the war of five kings, with all these different motivations and greedy lords vying for power and taking advantage of the power vacuum

This time we have even more chaos with the land decimated from the battle at winterfell and the second sack of kings landing alone

All this chaos leads to...nothing

Everyone just agrees with little argument that this weird kid from the north who claims he can see everything should rule over all 7 kingdoms

Oh no, the 6 kingdoms because the North will never bow to...it's actual successor, the oldest living son of Eddard Stark

The Iron Islands and Dorne, 2 regions that are infamous for want of independence say nothing to this either, seemingly fine with another state being allowed to leave

This is all wrapped up neatly in around 10 minutes

Then we have a council scene where we have an maester who isn't actually a maester and is still sworn to the nights watch

A kingsguard(?) who is still sworn to Sansa Stark

A lowborn mercenary is now master of coin and lord paramount of the reach with seemingly no opposition from the lords of that region

So much of it unravels at the slightest touch that it's genuinely infuriating

For a show that was so great because of it's intricate plotlines and atmosphere of every action having consequences they really couldn't have done a worse ending
    "Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!" - Auron

Especially when he literally told Tyrion that he didn't want to become the king.

But then at the end he says that he was there because he knew that he would become the king? What the actual fuck?

What was the purpose of talking about Jon Snow's true heritage and have Varys be killed over it when it didn't even matter at the end.

It felt like Dumb & Dumber just wanted to move on to Star Wars and basically spinned the wheel to randomly assign "conclusions" to the characters without even thinking about whether it makes sense or not.

The Sam thing doesn't seem that odd to me.

Surely it must be within the kings power to pardon him.

And bully his way into the corrupt maester system

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

That's.....actually quite depressing.

I would've liked a scene of Jon being like, "Hey, I ain't a bastard! HOORAY!!!"

I wonder if book Rickon will die. He's so much younger there.

To be fair, those people signed on to adapt the story not to write his ending. They tried wheel spinning to delay but probably didn't think GRRM would just stop in his tracks. I don't think they did a great job getting there but I think they ended with a job they didn't sign for.

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    I dare say they are all happy. Even Jon that would have hated to rule and gets to chill in the "real" north.

Discovered Stowaway MajinArekkusu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    To be fair, those people signed on to adapt the story not to write his ending. They tried wheel spinning to delay but probably didn't think GRRM would just stop in his tracks. I don't think they did a great job getting there but I think they ended with a job they didn't sign for.
    Hire new writers/showrunners if you are tired of the project and move on to star wars and let the new people do more episodes/seasons.

But their hubris probably didn't let them so they rather rush it into the ground instead.
    To support Viz and SHUEISHAs MANGA Plus service hosting all Jump manga for FREE, WORLDWIDE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version.

Quote Originally Posted by MajinArekkusu View Post
    Hire new writers/showrunners if you are tired of the project and move on to star wars and let the new people do more episodes/seasons.

But their hubris probably didn't let them so they rather rush it into the ground instead.
    Pretty sure people would be annoyed at them as much if they bailed on the last 2 seasons. And that HBO probably having around the people that made it a giant success and probably read the books also.

I doubt many people consider their own work shit. They got fucked by no longer being an adaption(which they did a good job of and seemed to like doing) much more than having hubris.

Its one of those George Lucas things. You rise to fame on a collaborative effort where your input is tempered by the hands of others and your thing is a success and suddenly people start thinking this success is your doing. Cue the realization that this person doing things out of his framework is mediocre at best and downright bad at times due to how people dare not question the creative genius behind X, even if doing so was what made the original work great

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Its one of those George Lucas things. You rise to fame on a collaborative effort where your input is tempered by the hands of others and your thing is a success and suddenly people start thinking this success is your doing. Cue the realization that this person doing things out of his framework is mediocre at best and downright bad at times due to how people dare not question the creative genius behind X, even if doing so was what made the original work great
    Except the creative genius was always GRR and they didn't push him out or throw hs ideas away. They just stopped coming because the work is not done yet.

If anything the show seemed to have shoved the books endings despite not fitting with the show.

And yes I believe the decisions don't meet what came before as expressed in the previous episode and my hatred of season 7. But I also people like to forget the 2 guys were fans wanting to adapt the books not alssholes that thought they knew better than the creator.

Except the creative genius was always GRR and they didn't push him out or throw hs ideas away. They just stopped coming because the work is not done yet.

If anything the show seemed to have shoved the books endings despite not fitting with the show.

And yes I believe the decisions don't meet what came before as expressed in the previous episode and my hatred of season 7. But I also people like to forget the 2 guys were fans wanting to adapt the books not alssholes that thought they knew better than the creator.
    Well i mean they did throw away alot of what was provided to them. To quote the man himself be said be provided them with enough material for 13 seasons, HBO pushed for atleast 10 seasons but D&D refused to go higher than 7,5 seasons because they felt they needed no more than that to finish it strong. And the only reason they could get away with that retroacticely recognized to be bullshit pitch was because the runaway success of GoT was mistakenly assumed to be due to some sort of perceived competence on the part of D&D, when what was needed was for people with input to say no you don't have the means to wrap this up this soon, this needs fleshing out, this is to abrupt. Essentially what they needed were producers, editors, script doctors and other collegues with the balls to say that the emperor is naked.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    Well i mean they did throw away alot of what was provided to them. To quote the man himself be said be provided them with enough material for 13 seasons
    Bullet points and outlines are not sotorylines. They made 4 and a half seasons out of 4-5 books. I don't think he wrote them 5 additional secret books for those other 5 seasons.

Danny becomes mad doesn't tell the story of her slow descent to madness. Bran becomes King doesn't tell you how the weird tree kid gets the most powerful position of the kingdom. Ideas are not material. They were making an adaptation not trying to write a story. The actual writer stopped writing.

HBO pushed for atleast 10 seasons but D&D refused to go higher than 7,5 seasons because they felt they needed no more than that to finish it strong.
    The white walkers had been comng for 5-6 seasons. Arya spend the whole 5 season spinning her wheels. Danny kept delaying her going to Westeros. Let's not forget that the showing has been spinning wheels for a couple of seasons now. They actual show didn't actually show it some roadmap to make another 4-5 seasons. They had bullets points that went in contrast to where they were with no ideas how this happen.

They could either do remaining bullet points with no idea how George was going to do them(because he hasn't written them yet) or do their own things. They chose to stay an adaptation and do the first. Poorly but they did.

And the only reason they could get away with that retroacticely recognized to be bullshit pitch was because the runaway success of GoT was mistakenly assumed to be due to some sort of perceived competence on the part of D&D,
    They did a decent job at making a good show when they had actual books to get material from. The Hobbits movies not being great does not suddenly mean suddenly mean Lord of Rings movies were not great achievements. They were good at adaptating.

when what was needed was for people with input to say no you don't have the means to wrap this up this soon, this needs fleshing out, this is to abrupt. Essentially what they needed were producers, editors, script doctors and other collegues with the balls to say that the emperor is naked.
    Again with the emperor thing and that supposed smugness. They were trying to adapt not write. Their actual writer stopped writing. Than they spinned some wheels before deciding to cut the cord rather than do some kind of agonizing bastardization for the next 2-3 seasons or simply deviate for GRRM.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Again I'm not some secret fan of their work. I didn't even bother watching the finale. I didn't want to be part of the viewership they would brag about and that BS last episode annoyed me for the whole week. So I happen to think they did a poor job. But I also think that poor job comes partly from no longer adapting material rather than pure malice.

Malice no, but hubris, lack of understanding of ones own skills and limitations and the celebrity status that allows you to plow ahead despite all the red flags. I mean how can they buck pass them cutting the story progression short because the author didn't hold their hand the entire way? All that would've been required for them to somewhat salvage the final season would've been to admit we don't have this, we need a few more episodes. It wouldn't have been great but maybe it could've been OK with four five episodes more. But seemingly their ego did not allow for them to recognize their flaws, either that or they simply stopped caring. They were given the tools, the time and the instructions but they either lacked the skill or refused to put in the effort. This is 95% them being in over their heads and either not knowing it and/or being unwilling to admit it.

Bullet points and outlines are not sotorylines. They made 4 and a half seasons out of 4-5 books. I don't think he wrote them 5 additional secret books for those other 5 seasons.
    The first 4 seasons cover only the first 3 books actually.

Quote Originally Posted by akagami7 View Post
    The first 4 seasons cover only the first 3 books actually.
    And it's note like they didn't pick and choose and leave out a ton of stuff and characters. I have no doubt that what he dumped on them was legit five more seasons worth of things to see and do. The problem is when they made the choices to leave out or drastically alter the scenarios or characters used they end up with their back against the wall. Now maybe one could argue that those choices were neccesary for the flow off the show, maybe book Euron wouldn't work or maybe they didn't like the detours for instance. But the choices were made by the showrunners so they dug their own hole, and can at this point not yell up from their selfdug hole that hey George you didn't tell us how to get out of here. You were in charge, it was on you to bring it home and you were found lacking

Wonder if they had any real incentive to work on the last season properly. Because they already got what they wanted and more from the show. All the fans were going to watch last season anyway. And will probably flock to all the other spin offs as well. When you have no serious competition you become complacent easilly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outerspec View Post
    Trying to understand Bleach is like trying to drink a bottle of bleach.

It makes no sense and you'll be dead before you're finished.

They removed Quaithe after one showing, changed the warlocks, didn't want to do Marwin or Salera, changed Moqoro for that other woman priestess of the red god, merged the kindly man into Jaquen (and didn't try to play up the "is it trully him" aspect).

All the while buffing Dany (being 100% fireproof instead of sometime fireproof) and Mel.

I dunno what they wanted with the mystical aspects of the story.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

One thing that really irked me about the election of the king (that whole scene was a ridiculous mess, and I otherwise enjoyed the finale):

It should be King Brandon. Not Bran. Just like it's Lord Eddard, and not Lord Ned.

I guess the showrunners simply forgot the character's full name. Or didn't care to check. They probably just didn't care.

Naming him Bran the Broken seemed like a petty move lol. Why not Bran/Brandon the Knowledge or something? Bran the 3 Eyed Raven? Or was he supposed to have a long string of titles like Dany lol.

I really don't get how people easily accepted the "he is our history." Did he ever have tangible proof? I can't remember him really do anything that seemed obvious to important characters.

I'll say that overall, the show was alright to watch. I haven't read the books. I wasn't a super fan. I mostly liked the discussion around it. But I wanted to know what the deal actually was with the Night King and the Children of the Forest. Not having that answered was the biggest let down for me.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information