+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Default Re: Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    So Kitsune, it's been... seven and a half years. You do your homework yet?
    Haha, nope.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    Haha, nope.
    At least watch the BBC series man! It's only six half hour episodes!

Discovered Stowaway

At least watch the BBC series man! It's only six half hour episodes!

It always galled me that they stopped at the end of Restaurant at the End of the Universe. It's not like the other 3 would have been that terribly difficult to do. Lots of most of them spent time on normal Earth or really easy-to-simulate environments.

You would think in the era of the Doctor Who revival, they could easily do the entire five-book (and even the Eoin Colfer follow-up) as a series, and even expand upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    It always galled me that they stopped at the end of Restaurant at the End of the Universe. It's not like the other 3 would have been that terribly difficult to do. Lots of most of them spent time on normal Earth or really easy-to-simulate environments.
    Well, it was a REALLY expensive series to do. SUre it looks super cheap by current standards, but it was a lot, especially all the animated bits.

Also, while the tv series aired in 81, they started on it in 79, and the third book didn't come out till 82... which was close enough that they theoretically could have adapted it except it wouldn't have been enough material on its own probably.... and book our wasn't until 84 and the last book (with its downer ending) wasn't until 92.

There was no production timetable that would have made any sense to continue the original tv series with the original actors. Having them do radio plays basically serves the need, I think.

Discovered Stowaway

For some reason I thought those were all written WAY before those dates...I've read the entire series cover-to-cover about 4 times now and listened to the audiobooks I don't know how many times but I never really look at the 'about the author' stuff or anything like that, so I guess that's why I never placed its exact publication.

But still, with Doctor Who coming back in 2005 with its makeup and CGI budget being able to make such awesome things happen, that there hasn't been another HHGG series in over 10 years since, is insulting.

Well, there IS the Dirk Gently series...

Which sadly isn't on Netflix here. :/

Discovered Stowaway

The one with Elijah Wood? I ended up hating it after the first season. It sounds nothing like what I read about the description of the book, and the book is not available at my library for some reason.

I guess? I haven't watched it at all and know literally nothing about it except that they made it. It's a new series based on a Douglas Adams property.

Discovered Stowaway

Not to spoil anything but I don't like mixing science and spiritualism very much, and instead of relying on just one or the other, they did go with both which I found annoying, though that's not my biggest gripe. If I ever do find the book I hope it's not as disappointing. In any case, the far better series needed to get a proper TV series and didn't.

Well, the original books had ghosts and norse gods in them, so if that's the rough nature of your complaint, that's in the source material.

Discovered Stowaway

Those weren't in the show, at least not the first season, and now I'm ten times as disappointed in it knowing those weren't part of it. But I'd settle for the Norse gods thing from "And Another Thing..." if they eventually make all six of the HHGG books into a proper series like it deserves.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information