+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

エッチなのはいけないと思います! Malintex_Terek's Avatar

Default Re: Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Malintex_Terek, still going on about how the entire franchise is bad because he didn't like the movie... when everyone else has already said the movie isn't any good or representative of the material.

Terek, you're an alien doing research, aren't you? Well, I expect a larger entry than "Mostly harmless." if you could.
    You need to work on your pitch-man skills.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    Making Anime and Manga OBSOLETE since 2006
    PM me for details

I'm not trying to get you to read the series Terek, you have weird tastes and opinions on pretty much everything. Don't you hate Slayers because it reminds you too much of hentai you've seen? And dislike Iron Giant because it homaged the 50's films it came from pretty closely? You wouldn't like the series even if you did read it.

I'm just trying to get you to confirm that you are actually a space alien pretending to be a human, so you can do research for an intersteller bestselling book on the topic of the planet "Earth". And I think it would be nice if you could have a better write up of Earth than "Mostly Harmless."
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

I'm not trying to get you to read the series Terek, you have weird tastes and opinions on pretty much everything. Don't you hate Slayers because it reminds you too much of hentai you've seen? And dislike Iron Giant because it homaged the 50's films it came from pretty closely? You wouldn't like the series even if you did read it.

I'm just trying to get you to confirm that you are actually a space alien pretending to be a human, so you can do research for an intersteller bestselling book on the topic of the planet "Earth". And I think it would be nice if you could have a better write up of Earth than "Mostly Harmless."
    I will confirm I am not a space alien, I am a "sentient meme".

I don't know if I'd like Hitchiker. I'm certainly curious, which should be rationale enough to fix my preconceived notions. I already know the movie wasn't faithful, but I'm not reading most of the posts in this topic out of spoiler-fear, just in case.

I could watch the B.B.C. drama like Darkstorm suggested, but like I said I have a rather poor attention span. It's taken me more than a year to finish a single episode of Sora no Otoshimono, such is my ADD. Given this, would people still recommend the drama, or should I seek out the radio play or books?

OT but...my opinion on Slayers = one of many 1980's/90's J-D&D takes that happened to get lucky and establish itself as a large franchise. And yes, it feels very much a hentai title without the hentai. But it's still on my 2W list.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

Quote Originally Posted by Malintex_Terek View Post
    I will confirm I am not a space alien, I am a "sentient meme".
    Oh. Well, that explains everything then.

What ever happened to your fan service avatar?
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

What ever happened to your fan service avatar?
    That's exactly what happened.

I promised when I switched out my original Grand Line Suit avatar, I'd get a new one once someone "got" what my avatar was. It was cracked a while back, but wasn't brought to my attention until a couple months ago.

Since I didn't save the GLS, I dressed the new one with CP9 colours.
    MUV-LUV ALTERNATIVE
    PM me for details

This topic came up in another covnersation and reminded me this thread existed, and I saw this....

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    Dammit, now I have work to do, *runs to the library*
    So Kitsune, it's been three and a half years. You ever do your homework and read the books?

These are some of my most favorite books, but I liked the Dirk Gently ones better, I think!

I like how Thor is a recurring character in the Adams books.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby
    So Kitsune, it's been three and a half years. You ever do your homework and read the books?
    Does seeing the movie count? D:

No, the movie was bad. The books were good. At least the first two and a half, as far as I can remember.

Although, to give the adaptation some credit, they pretty much nailed the whale scene.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

It would appear I have work to do. *runs out of thread*

Quote Originally Posted by Dryish View Post
    No, the movie was bad.
    I disagree.
    I thought it was a fun flick and it inspired me to read the books (although I had to stop and should start up again).

I also loved Mos Def in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Norisuke Higashikata IV
    "Your stand is like your asshole. You can't go around showing it off to other people."

Quote Originally Posted by AlucarDraculA View Post
    I disagree.
    Have you read the books? Apart from Alan Rickman as Marvin, there wasn't much to cheer for in that movie.
    In Loving Memory of Toraish, Rex Avium: http://apforums.net/showthread.php?t=40786 | 3DS Friend Code: 3196-4274-7836

Yeah, as a fan of the books, I was really unhappy with the movie adaptation.

Marvin was great, though. They could always make a redeeming sequel that focuses on the Krikkit Wars or something. That might even translate better to film than the whole Magrathea escapade did.

The difficulty in capturing the greatness of Adams's books in film is that you can't just copypasta what he wrote onto the screen. And it usually wouldn't work to have a character quote the book in an inner monologue. Some of the scenes, the Whale one comes to mind, worked really well with the Guide acting as narrator, though. Maybe they should have tried for more of that throughout the movie?

Quote Originally Posted by benjamminbrown View Post
    The difficulty in capturing the greatness of Adams's books in film is that you can't just copypasta what he wrote onto the screen. And it usually wouldn't work to have a character quote the book in an inner monologue. Some of the scenes, the Whale one comes to mind, worked really well with the Guide acting as narrator, though. Maybe they should have tried for more of that throughout the movie?
    Watch the BBC miniseries. Low budget, but they did it perfectly. Aside from leaving out like two chapters focusing of Zaphod in the second book, the miniseries captures pretty much every line and nuance of the first two books. Hell, Adams originally wrote it as a radioplay and then did the miniseries adaptation... so by the time it was made into book form he might have even had those actors in mind. And the book narrator is great.

I'll check it out, thanks Robby! Sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryish View Post
    Have you read the books? Apart from Alan Rickman as Marvin, there wasn't much to cheer for in that movie.
    Alan Rickman as Marvin is worth the price of admission alone.

For the 40th anniversary of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Dirk Maggs — who already adapted the Douglas Adams books Life the Universe and Everything, So Long and Thanks for All the Fish, and Mostly Harmless into radio series to match the original Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy radio sitcom — has done the same to Eoin Colfer‘s sixth novel in the series, And Another Thing… incorporating other original work by the late Douglas Adams.

Starring as many of the original radio and TV actors as possible, with John Lloyd, flatmate of Douglas Adams and co-writer of the second series — and creator of Blackadder, Spitting Image, and QI — as The Book. And Stephen Hawking as The Book Mark II.

For a little while at least you can listen to the first episode free, worldwide, on the BBC Radio iPlayer.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b09th4hf

I was pretty indifferent to the last book. It captured the humor okay but the plot was meh. I've only listened to part 1 (the others haven't aired yet) so its hard to tell how much or how little it will improve on the book, but its a real treat to have Simon Jones as Arthur again. He still sounds the same which is great considering its been 40 years. And that musical theme....

I probably need to track down the other radio plays, I never listened past the first two.

And while I'm at it...

Hidden:

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Inferno View Post
    Dammit, now I have work to do, *runs to the library*
    So Kitsune, it's been... seven and a half years. You do your homework yet?
    Last edited by Robby; March 11th, 2018 at 03:05 PM.

I read the first 100 pages or so of And Another Thing... and it really didn't capture me. I don't know if it was the pacing or what but just none of the charm and punchiness was there.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    I read the first 100 pages or so of And Another Thing... and it really didn't capture me. I don't know if it was the pacing or what but just none of the charm and punchiness was there.
    It wasn't just you. The book was eh. Tried too hard to capture the jokes (down to even copying some of them directly) and the weirdness but kinda missed the mark. The radio play seems to put some of the energy and charm back in though.

It was a happier ending than book 5 at least.

Aggravator via Destiny darktravis's Avatar

Just recently I have finally gotten to reading HGTTG for the first time. A regular and lengthy work transit is all it took for me to start.
    Almost done with book 2 and liking all the imagination crammed into the story so far.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information