+ Reply to Thread
Page 148 of 148 FirstFirst ... 48 98 138 146 147 148
Results 2,941 to 2,947 of 2947

Thread: Community

Default Re: Community

Ironically, I have been rewatching a lot of Community recently on Hulu.

I still maintain that the first two seasons, in particular the second, are some of the funniest episodes of sitcoms over the last decade. The first season has that early trouble with finding where the characters work best, but I think by Season 2 they completely nailed them. It felt like a realistic evolution in how they interacted and changed by being around each other, accumulating with Pierce's breakdown.

Season 3 was where I started to lose interest a bit though. Still has some great episodes, but some of the aspects were becoming a bit too cartoony. I thought the second season had a perfect blend of standard episodes and "themed" episodes, where as the third season needed to parody some genre or film entirely for every episode. It felt less about the characters and more about "what would be funny to put them through this week".

As far as the Dan Harmon stuff, I've heard some pretty shitty stuff about him, but given his interaction with Gantz, I think he is genuinely trying to make an effort to improve. I don't understand a lot of the disdain being thrown his way, given his response. I think a lot of people naturally and rightfully get upset when they hear about how someone like him acts towards his coworkers and people working under him, but remove a lot of the human element from the controversy.

She said that she's not ready to accept an apology at the moment, but acknowledges Harmon's apology. He said that he's operating differently now with the boundaries he sets between his friends and coworkers, accepts the things that he has said and done, and said that he wants to apologize to Gantz if/when she's ready in a way she would like.

Even if he is doing this from a PR perspective and is lying out of his ass and hasn't changed at all(which I'm not claiming), his official record is basically "I fucked up, I'm doing things differently now, I know you don't accept it but I am sorry and if there is a way I can show you that, please let me know". At the end of the day, all we have to go on is rumors and the known statements of the people involved. And given what was openly discussed between them, I think Harmon did a fantastic job. Again, not validating in anyway what he's done/said to his staff including Gantz. However, I believe the saying is "admitting is the first step". Right?

Even if he's lying out of his ass, his official statement is one accepting responsibility, not making excuses, and wanting to take further steps to repair the damage he's done if she wants. But at the end of the day, I think he made the right call whether genuine or not to accept responsibility on an open platform and signal that he's aware that he needs to continue to operate differently than he did before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Youtube has been pushing me cool stuff.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Here’s a weird one for you: Last week, I called out my former boss @danharmon for sexual harassment, and today I’m going to ask you to listen to his podcast http://www.harmontown.com/2018/01/episode-dont-let-him-wipe-or-flush/"

"I’m not being flippant. I didn’t bring up this mess just to sweep it back under the rug. But I find myself in the odd position of having requested an apology publicly, and then having received one—a good one—also publicly. I waited 6 years for it, but you can find it 18:38 in"
    "Please listen to it. It’s only seven minutes long, but it is a masterclass in How to Apologize. He’s not rationalizing or justifying or making excuses. He doesn’t just vaguely acknowledge some general wrongdoing in the past. He gives a full account."

"Yes, I only listened because I expected an apology. But what I didn't expect was the relief I’d feel just hearing him say these things actually happened. I didn’t dream it. I’m not crazy. Ironic that the only person who could give me that comfort is the one person I’d never ask."

"This was never about vengeance; it's about vindication. That's why it didn’t feel right to just accept his apology in private (although I did that, too). Because if any part of this process should be done in the light, it’s the forgiveness part. And so, @danharmon, I forgive you."
    From Gantz's twitter, about 20 minutes ago.
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

On one hand she forgave him, but in the other she called it sexual now.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

Think the issue I have is that Harmon has done this performative self-examination over, and over, and over, but seems disinclined to actually change his pattern of behavior. But credit in this particular case.

At the end of the day with something like this, I think the best thing to do is separate art from the creator. Not to excuse his actions, or pretend they didn't happen or don't matter. But rather, because the parties have said their peace with it and while we'll ultimately have no idea what is going on in Harmon's head, he's said that things are different now and until something proves he has or hasn't, there isn't much more to have from this whole mess of events caused by him.

Quote Originally Posted by tatermoog View Post
    Think the issue I have is that Harmon has done this performative self-examination over, and over, and over, but seems disinclined to actually change his pattern of behavior. But credit in this particular case.
    Basically this from Bojack Horseman:

3DS Friend Code: 2535-3762-9083

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information