+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Let's fight! For Darkstalkers 4!

♥ Friendship is Rainbows ♫♪ RageaSarus's Avatar

Default Re: Let's fight! For Darkstalkers 4!

I really wish Capcom were die-hard with the sprites as Arc System Works.

I mean, I KNOW we aren't going to get a 2D Darkstalkers 4, but that's the only way we should get it.
    However, with 3D models, how can they pull off the burned, frozen, electrocuted, inflated, cursed, stung, sliced, and Midnight Bliss characters?

The fan deep down inside DO NOT want to see a 3D Darkstalkers AT ALL.
    I honestly think the MvC3 models with more shading would look decent for DS4.

Gah.
    Fuck it.

Just give us Darkstalkers: The Console Tower. Sigh.

This is fucking bullshit and insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-Robin View Post
    Although knowing the way Capcom handled Okamiden they'd probably release it on the 3DS in the same week as Zelda or something.
    No.

Creating a Darkstalkers game for the Nintendo 3DS would be pure faggotry and unfor-fucking-givable.

@Robby

I am not so sure about the price development. Nowadays, It seems that in order to impress gamers and the medias, video game firms gotta do something bigger and bigger and newer. That's bs the first MK was a real success story done with a very low budget. The true treasure was the developer's mind.

I heard that during the last decade at E3, the editors had bigger spaces every year and bigger decoration in order to impress people.

@KoF It's not impossible to create such effects. Though I think they would censor almost all of those. Especially bloody exploding inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiroy View Post
    @KoF It's not impossible to create such effects. Though I think they would censor almost all of those. Especially bloody exploding inflation.
    The thing is though, if I recall, some of those "special states" would mean the 3D models would have to morph (like their comedic effects, cursed, inflation, etc.) and Ryota Niitsuma (TvC, MvC3) made a big deal out of that shit. (Although, we got lame ass Shuma-Gorath)

It's not like Street Fighter, where you just changed their coloring, lighting, and add the same "flames" over the characters. (or old-school and used the same fucking burning man figure)

Darkstalkers was very unique and eye-candy. Better looking than Street Fighter. Which is why I think it's too much for 3D models.
    Last edited by RageaSarus; March 26th, 2011 at 01:35 AM. Reason: My name isn't "King of Fighters," brah. Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Silence View Post
    Whelp,
    They're looking at a thousand sprites per character minimum, since they're redrawing them all from scratch. Only, it'll be way more than that, because Darkstalkers had a lot of extremely character specific special moves and reaction animations, and was generally a lot more animated than most other fighters.
    Really? A thousand? For standby animation, walking/ducking/3-5 specials/jumping/supers? That seems gratuitous, but I won't argue the point, I know SF3 gratuitously raised the frame count way back when and everything else had to follow suit since, but still.

Though if one artist could do 10 drawings a day (an incredibly piddly ammount, I'm just low balling and going for the easy math, comic artists and animators do waaaay more than that regularly. Even with coloring, 20 or 30 images a day if its all you're doing isn't hard. Especially with old existing art that can be traced or copied. Anyway. Piddly 10 a day.) they could get 50 done in a regular work week, 200 in a month, and an entire character in five months. So a team of a dozen people could get the original core cast done in six months. Then split off and do the specialty animations and remaining characters while some other people work on the actual coding stuff. A reasonably dedicated team could do it in a year. Without even working weekends.

But if that talent pool no longer exists, fine, cg if it must be . But make it look cartoony, dammit. Use something akin to the engines they use for anime tie in games to make them look like animated cels. Or like DOnkey Kong Country. Or something.
    Last edited by Robby; March 26th, 2011 at 03:31 AM.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Really? A thousand? For standby animation, walking/ducking/3-5 specials/jumping/supers? That seems gratuitous, but I won't argue the point, I know SF3 gratuitously raised the frame count way back when and everything else had to follow suit since, but still.

Though if one artist could do 10 drawings a day (an incredibly piddly ammount, I'm just low balling and going for the easy math, comic artists and animators do waaaay more than that regularly. Even with coloring, 20 or 30 images a day if its all you're doing isn't hard. Especially with old existing art that can be traced or copied. Anyway. Piddly 10 a day.) they could get 50 done in a regular work week, 200 in a month, and an entire character in five months. So a team of a dozen people could get the original core cast done in six months. Then split off and do the specialty animations and remaining characters while some other people work on the actual coding stuff. A reasonably dedicated team could do it in a year. Without even working weekends.

But if that talent pool no longer exists, fine, cg if it must be . But make it look cartoony, dammit. Use something akin to the engines they use for anime tie in games to make them look like animated cels. Or like DOnkey Kong Country. Or something.
    I'm just going by how many sprites each Blazblue character has from the ripped files, and lowballing it, as Darkstalker's move variety is at least that high. I have them sitting on my HD. Blazblue, if I'm including move effects, is really closer to 1.2k per character, to a total of more than 19k for 17 characters. This isn't really because of the fluidity of the animation so much as it is each character having a staggering array of moves. Darkstalkers would have much more than this because of all the special animations each character has (frozen, shocked, burnt, cut, stung, inflated, cursed and transgendered).

Street Fighter 3rd Strike had something like 1k to 2k sprites per character, to a tune of 27k sprites total . Guilty Gear XX had something like an average of 500~700 sprites per character, KoFXII averaged about 500 per character at 4x their normal resolution - having started from scratch.

Making pixel art is painstaking, laborious, slow work because it has to be drawn at high resolutions and needs to be consistent in shading, lines, and animation. SNK went with using 3D models as the base for their sprite work because it was largely dependent on the skill and style of the animator and would vary wildly from character to character in consistency. Six and a half months is what it took for SNK, which has a dedicated sprite team, to do that in KoFXII - per character. If this was Blazblue, they could've stopped there. But to give gradations and mid-levels to that is a substantial amount of additional work. A dedicated team is no laughing matter.

And that's one hell of an investment at CAPCOM. They need to know people will buy it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Discovered Stowaway DeadJustice's Avatar

I didn't say people wouldn't buy or that there's no chance it would be a smash hit. I'm just saying its understandable why they aren't jumping at the opportunity to make one. Hell, they had to fight to get Street Fighter which was exponentially more popular revived. This is a uphill battle for a reason. I know you love the game Sarus, and yeah they're very good. Its just that this isn't simply money in the bank like many people think it is. Sorry, but I think that's more true than not.

EDIT: With that being said, I do think it'll be announced sometime between now and the end of next year. Maybe a little later, but I feel its coming. I just wanted to say I understand Capcom's hesitation.
    Last edited by DeadJustice; March 26th, 2011 at 01:01 PM.
    If all my talents and powers were taken away from me by some inscrutable Providence, and I had my choice of keeping but one, I would unhesitatingly ask to be allowed to keep the Power of Speaking, for through it, I would quickly recover all the rest.

--Daniel Webster

Yeah, I feel ya. I mean, if it took them 10 years to make a Street Fighter game, then I'm sure it'll be fifteen years for Darkstalkers.

Sounds 'bout right.

I'd kill for some HD sprites for Darkstalkers 4...

The realist in me says MvC3 with extra shading will do just fine for cheap.

And let's get real, Capcom ain't going to spend THAT many resources on a game they're being extremely cautious with.

Which reminds me... do we know (ballpark numbers) just how the Darkstalkers franchise has fared over the years compared to say Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Megaman in the 1990's?

Would be wise to look at those numbers and see just why the hesitation at a numbered entry.
    Last edited by StrawHatRican; March 26th, 2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: I'd do it... but I'm in the middle of Beelzebub :x

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHatRican View Post
    I'd kill for some HD sprites for Darkstalkers 4...

The realist in me says MvC3 with extra shading will do just fine for cheap.

And let's get real, Capcom ain't going to spend THAT many resources on a game they're being extremely cautious with.

Which reminds me... do we know (ballpark numbers) just how the Darkstalkers franchise has fared over the years compared to say Street Fighter, Resident Evil, Megaman in the 1990's?
    For some weird reason Darkstalkers wasn't placed on this list but this shows the lifetime sales for some of the other games.

http://retro.ign.com/articles/876/876345p1.html

It's not a weird reason.

I don't think it ever broke a mil...

Ffffffffffffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuu~

seeing as the trend nowadays is to copy old games or re-release old games, it's kinda surprising they don't wanna make another dark stalkers.

Quote Originally Posted by captain usopp View Post
    seeing as the trend nowadays is to copy old games or re-release old games, it's kinda surprising they don't wanna make another dark stalkers.
    Not... really. .
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

Capcom, I don't even know what to think. You cancel Megaman Legends 3, which is terrible. You messed up on MvC 3, but are now doing Ultimate MvC3, but it's so soon, so that's bittersweet. But SFxTekken is looking sicker and sicker every day, and now a (possible) new Darkstalkers game?

man I got so many conflicting emotions right now I gotta go lie down

Well, Wes Phillips tweeted that they "have not announced a new Darkstalkers game," and Ono stated that the game had not been approved yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kotaku.com
    During a panel defined by teases, in more ways than one, the audience briefly believed Darkstalkers characters would be confirmed for the game. Flashing a slide that said "Darkstalkers are not dead," to wild applause, producer Yoshinori Ono then said Capcom management had not yet approved the characters. Reminding the crowd that at last year's Comic-Con, they held up a dollar bill as a show of support for Darkstalkers' inclusion, Ono implored the audience to hold a ten-spot. Everyone thrust money in the air.
    Looks like they did a repeat of the publicity stunt last year, with tens instead of ones. Hopefully it means fans are closer to getting the next installment in the series, but I don't really see this as a confirmation....unless they're being clever and trying to create as much hype as possible for when they do announce it. Hope springs eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Bad_Lith View Post
    Capcom, I don't even know what to think. You cancel Megaman Legends 3, which is terrible. You messed up on MvC 3, but are now doing Ultimate MvC3, but it's so soon, so that's bittersweet. But SFxTekken is looking sicker and sicker every day, and now a (possible) new Darkstalkers game?
    Ha! We need a name for this feeling of conflict. Capcom Syndrome, perhaps.

a mood come alive.

Whatever.

Believe it when it's in your fucking hands and not a moment before.

You'll never get me again, Capcom. :(

=\

Goddammit Capcom...

*goes and becomes Bioware's bitch*

Lol, would yah look at that.

Not sure what to think. I know it's quite popular to hold a torch, pitchfork, and wear an anti-capcom shirt nowadays. Doesn't mean they don't have other means of making my money disappear.

I've bought Activision games (call of duty games no less).... i've thus WILLINGLY contributed to one of the greediest game companies out there. I'm not a pure gamer... my heart has gone corrupt with the hypocrisy of liking good games made by money hungry giants. Cause let's face it... the game world has been morally bankrupt, greedy, and rotten long before Megaman got shafted.

You're tearing me APART Capcom!!

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHatRican View Post
    =\

Goddammit Capcom...

*goes and becomes Bioware's bitch*
    lol. Except poor Bioware is now owned by EA so even if they want to be as supportive of their fans as they can, they have to fight the guys holding their chains.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information