+ Reply to Thread
Page 320 of 321 FirstFirst ... 220 270 310 318 319 320 321 LastLast
Results 6,381 to 6,400 of 6409

Thread: Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

Default Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    What, in series? Post-series? Just an earthbending match? Air vs earth? On something made of metal? You gotta be more specific.

Any straight earth match Toph wins, hands down. If Aang can fly Toph's blindness really gets in her way and it goes to Aang.
    I was thinking it takes place with them as they are at the end of the original series, Aang can use all four elements but no avatar state and toph obviously has mastered metal bending, in an open area with a mixture of earth, water, air and some metal... and maybe plant life to catch fire, or for toph to bend (can she bend plants?)

and you bring a good point about flying, so maybe aang can't go in the air

both fighting all out, and that's the match up

Member of Beelzebub is Freakin' Awesome Group
    what I'm catching up on currently: Gintama, lone wolf & cub, Nausicaš of the Valley of the Wind, and lost in poem (by our very own AP member GEPPETTOSMONSTER)

Toph definitely can't bend plants. Earthbenders bend minerals, which exist only in small amounts in living creatures. Water is way more plentiful in plants, but even then it takes specific circumstances to bend plants or creatures.

Anyways, Aang wins in basically any kind of varied environment. If he can maneuver on anything that doesn't send clear shockwaves, like trees or fences or large bodies of water, Toph is out of luck. Toph only wins in especially rocky areas or in stone buildings.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

The comics didn't have a Toph vs King Bumi battle for the title of worlds greatest eartbender?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Result: Inconclusive

Quote Originally Posted by choperman View Post
    I was thinking it takes place with them as they are at the end of the original series, Aang can use all four elements but no avatar state and toph obviously has mastered metal bending, in an open area with a mixture of earth, water, air and some metal... and maybe plant life to catch fire, or for toph to bend (can she bend plants?)

and you bring a good point about flying, so maybe aang can't go in the air

both fighting all out, and that's the match up
    I'm unsure. Back in the arena Aang showed how problematic floating could be. I don't think water would help much. Fire and earth Aang was good but not great.

I'g give it to Aang because I believe he could use his mobility(air & Ice) to destabilize Toph and land some good fire shots.

Quote Originally Posted by pariston_hill View Post
    The comics didn't have a Toph vs King Bumi battle for the title of worlds greatest eartbender?
    I think they did but they copped out on the actual result. I forget how, I haven't re-read any of the comics since they've been mostly bad, kind of fanficcy versions of the show.

Like how the very first series, set immediately after the show ended, started setting up basically every single plot thread that would be established in Korra.... 80 years later. So Toph opened a metal bending school immediately, they started up Republic city immediately, cabbage merchant started up a company, etc. etc. rather than those being gradual things that happened over the course of decades.

And everything with Zuko's mother was awful.

But they're terrified of aging the characters at all or giving a canon answer to who anybody actually hooked up with and had kids with or any of that. For some reason.

Because we wanted a continuiation to see the status quo continue!

Completely disagree the comics are great IMO. They feel like natural extensions of the story and there are definitely time skips, it's not like everyone looks the same
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by Long John Silvers Rayleigh View Post
    Completely disagree the comics are great IMO. They feel like natural extensions of the story and there are definitely time skips, it's not like everyone looks the same
    This was the most recent story.

They sure look the same to me.

They have *decades* of history to cover and they're still just stuck in the months, maybe a year, immediately following the series. They're nowhere near their middle years.

I mean the first comic literally has a one year jump in it. And we know aang is 14 by the rift so I think depending on how many months aang was 12 for before he froze over they've been away from the finale by 18-24 months. I know that's not the ages in the illustration but I feel that skipping right ahead would have been too hasty. I think part of the reason they've stopped now is that they (if they return to the comics) can jump in the future a fair bit now. Maybe not mid-thirties but mid-twenties or so
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

I don't care that they haven't done a significant jump. You gotta keep them close to their marketable designs. I'm bothered they try to cram in a lifetime of achievements and worldbuilding from Korra into their lives *immediately* so most of their major things happened instantly.

It may be less noticeable now a few years later, but when the first series hit the same time as Korra started airing, it was reeeeeally jarring and blatant.

Seems at one point season 4 might have been a thing. More reason ton hate the live action movie ever happening.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/avatar-the-l...ow_io9_twitter

I'm glad they didn't The show ended in a good place. If that season was just going to be the garbage that is the comics, we're better off.

At least in comic form I can basically forget it ever happened eventually. If the awful was on screen I'd be fully reminded everytime I went back and revisited the series. As is the absurdity that is the resolution to "what happened to Zuko's mother" just taints that entire narrative arc on so many levels.

ANd yes, I know the comics are canon. I don't care. They're easy to ignore.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The show could have used 5-7 more episodes to do everything it wanted but really with a full 4th season it would have been way to watered down.

It's just that by the time we got to season 3 there was too much for the perfect 3rd but to little for a 4rth one and between the two I preferred the "rushed" season 3. They made misteps but they delivered a satisfying finally where with a 4rth season it would be be a mercy killing and change avatar from great to it was fine.

Also, I guess the mother's story could have been vetoed or improved through the tv process, thing that they are more used to work than comics.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

I'm glad that was all there was honestly. Sure, there were plot threads they still could've explored but overall, I was really satisfied with the conclusion of AtLA's story.

And that's only in part because boy, has what followed since been very narratively & thematically inconsistent! (I'm seconding Robby on the fanficcy nature of the comics)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagomu View Post
    There's a great lighthearted vibe around here, because no matter how serious we might get, we're all together because of some magical pirate.

I never read those. I should get on that.

No! That's the exact opposite of what people are saying.

You've been warned, though. Those comics are the sort of bad that can retroactively taint the whole thing, like Robby said. I'm glad my little tolerance to terrible writing made me drop those before any real damage was done.

I never read one of those, only knew the resolution to Zukoís mother thread...and oh boy I wish i could forget that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zuko's mom is very much one of those "we didn't actually have a plan for this" things.

I think that there was ONE good one. But the whole experience was not good.
    3DS FC: 0516-7666-3837
    SW-4128-8032-0729

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information