+ Reply to Thread
Page 318 of 318 FirstFirst ... 218 268 308 316 317 318
Results 6,341 to 6,354 of 6354

Thread: Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

Default Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender/Legend of Korra

I just finished Season 2.

I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something, but...I really don't see why this season gets so much flak (at least compared to season 1). Yeah, it's not great, but it's not horribly bad either. I mean, I guess the whole season is a bit slow and directionless and has some awkward subplots, but then so did season 1. And yeah, the ending is also kind of random BS, but not nearly as offensively dumb as the end of season 1 (or maybe it doesn't seem so bad since I was kind of expecting it). And heck, this season actually ends with some consequences since now Korra can't connect to her past lives.

Also, this season did have some pretty good highlights. Varrick, of course, was a delight (who doesn't like a good salesman character?) and I found Bumi to be quite charming too (him breaking out Korra and the others was a true shining moment). And yes, of course, we had that great two-parter that explained the origin of the Avatar (done in classic Japanese/Chinese art style no less). Oh, and of course the return of the original Iroh who now lives in the spirit world, which is never really explained, but it's Iroh, so I buy it.

Well, we've apparently got the mediocrity out of the way, so lets move on to the supposed goodness of seasons 3 and 4.

It's not that bad, it's just not what people wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    I don't know. Maybe I'm missing something, but...I really don't see why this season gets so much flak
    You went in right after season 1, forewarned that it had problems, and also knowing that there are two stronger seasons about to follow it up... and that there will be follow up at all.

Also, you marathoned it.

It's much worse in isolation when it was the only content and it was a year removed from the first season, there's no announcement of there being any more after, and you're getting it week by week. Like you probably didn't notice the Jinora plot started and then she was off screen for the next eight episodes until she was a crucial component for the finale.

Its biggest problem being it backpeddles basically all the development of the first season, basically repeats the villain, and keeps on doing stupid love triangle crap long past the point it was at all appropriate for any of the characters, combined with a WTF ending and an incredibly stupid "dark avatar" plot that just gets wasted. It just sort of spins its wheels for the first 8 episodes to get to that point.

Basically everyone liked the origin story in the middle though.
    Last edited by Robby; October 31st, 2017 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    It's much worse in isolation. Its biggest problem being it backpeddles basically all the development of the first season and keeps on doing stupid love triangle crap long past the point it was at all appropriate for any of the characters.
    Okay, I'm with you on the love triangle stuff (seriously Mako, make a fucking decision already), but...backpeddling what development?

Outside of the Wan stuff, the most memorable part of Book 2 still is

"Joo Lee, do the thing"

"HEY, THAT PLATYPUS BEAR IS POOPING MONEY!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Okay, I'm with you on the love triangle stuff (seriously Mako, make a fucking decision already), but...backpeddling what development?
    Some people think korra developed a lot when she actually got all her problems solved without having to really change at all and basically got her airbending back through will and her other ability back through avatar contrivances. She actually didnt change a lot beside doubting herself for the first time and coming back assured...which she already was. So its more of a character loop than any development

Though I did think she was a little too annoying and angsty in the first 4-5 episodes and found the love triangle ultimately redundant but nothing terrible.
    Chapter 437 Discussion after franky decides to join the Strawhats:
    So who think Usopp is inside that duffelbag?
    H x H Chimera Ant Arc / OP Manga Spoiler
    Spoiler:

Korra's character in general. She seems to be as rash and aggressive as the start of season 1. Of course you could say her rashness saved the day in season 1 but after much time at the air temple many expected her to be more reasonable.

Personally I don't consider season 2 bad. I consider it aimless. Everything just seems incredibly disjointed. Even the villain becomes silly when he straight up call himself dark where Amon actually had a valid/understandable cause.

But I do like Korra's decision at end of season 2 and find it an interesting way in her forging her path as an avatar.

Spoiler:
    I personally hate the erasure of all the previous live of the avatars since being part of a whole was one of the thing I like about the avatar. And the power of the avatar being their combined forces is something I prefer to it just being Rava. I am fine with Rava as the origin but leave the rest alone.

I also prefer the origins of bending being from the original benders especially because of the story of the moon.

But I recognize that it mostly comes from how much I like last airbender especially the second point which barely changes anything I guess.

The 2 episodes are fantastic tho(10/10) and it funny how the most recognizable episodes of the series came from his most loathed season. But I will say their placement perfectly aimless this season was.

Iroh just left his body and stayed in the spirit world. It's basically what happened to Jenora expect he never returned.

Don't mess with the Law if you don't have an Ace up your sleeve.

Oh yeah. I forgot about that, but...yeah, Korra was really out of control in the first few episodes of Season 2, completely losing any pretense of "not taking sides" and dishing out vigilante justice, like when she almost killed that phony judge.

Just finished season 3 Korra. Yeah, definitely a lot more focused than the first two seasons and easily the best villains we've had so far.

Observations:
    -I dunno. I kinda feel like Korra (the character) lost some favor with me this season. She seemed strangely hard-assed and serious and I missed her lighter side. But she was pretty great during the last few episodes (and her final fight with Zaheer was damn impressive)
    -God, I wanted them to beat the Red Lotus guys so badly. They were just so absurdly strong and always seemed to be in control.
    -A shame they didn't do more with the convergence of the spirit world. They showed it in episode 1 and a bit in episode 9, but mostly it just felt like nothing had really changed.
    -Also kind of a shame they couldn't do more with Kai. He showed promise for an interesting character arc, starting off as a thief, but then after getting kidnapped by the Earth Kingdom he just sort of...wasn't.
    -I felt like the new recruits for the Air Nomads happened a bit too easily. I understand them wanting to escape oppression, but...didn't any of these people have families? Were they all so willing to just leave their old lives behind like that?
    -For that matter, Tenzin's whole forcible resurrection of the Nomad tribe with new Airbenders seemed like a strangely misguided effort that I feel should've been pretty obvious before he even attempted it.
    -Bolin/Opal is cute. I dig it (and that makes how many love interests for him now?)
    -Typical kid show logic. You can show people dying, but you can't actually say that they died.
    -Lin and (surprisingly) Mako and Bolin were the MVPs for me this season as far as character growth.
    -Asami meanwhile...well, she's nice and likeable and everything and she has a few moments of coolness, but for the last two seasons, it's just felt like she's just sort of...there.

Well, one more season to go.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

-Also kind of a shame they couldn't do more with Kai. He showed promise for an interesting character arc, starting off as a thief, but then after getting kidnapped by the Earth Kingdom he just sort of...wasn't.
    I thought I was the only one who had that opinion. I never bring it up because of how universally praised the Wan episode is, but I found it a waste to have a morally ambiguous character like a thief be the first Avatar only to end up leaving that profession and just being a standard nice guy.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    I thought I was the only one who had that opinion. I never bring it up because of how universally praised the Wan episode is, but I found it a waste to have a morally ambiguous character like a thief be the first Avatar only to end up leaving that profession and just being a standard nice guy.
    I never really had that problem with Wan. I don't have a problem with a thief or unscrupulous character changing his ways, but Wan's change felt natural, whereas Kai's...didn't.

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

I never really had that problem with Wan. I don't have a problem with a thief or unscrupulous character changing his ways, but Wan's change felt natural, whereas Kai's...didn't.
    But he didn't really change his ways though. And by that, I mean he was just a thief that turned out to already be a nice person. Like Aladdin, I guess. Except that he could have probably been in any line of work so long as he was poor and needed to take care of his friends. My issue isn't that he developed, my issue is that there wasn't really a process of development. He sort of just went from point A to point B without much meat at all being in-between. Or was already at point B from the start. Which is fine, but I felt like it was a bit of a waste of what you could do with a thief character. And I find his personality of being a nice altruist bland, Aang did it better in any one episode he was featured in.

That, and his choice to free Vaatu biting him back immediately was predictable as hell since he's a giant black and red spirit with a deep voice. But I liked the rest of it.
    Last edited by Count Mario; November 14th, 2017 at 09:17 PM.

"The universe has a wonderful sense of humor. The trick is learning how to take a joke."

Formerly Vegard Aune Lord Starfish's Avatar

-Typical kid show logic. You can show people dying, but you can't actually say that they died.
    What I found even more absurd than that is that they did sometimes outright say that a character was dead... but only in instances where they weren't. So while the show skirted around saying that the Earth Queen or the Red Lotus members were dead, they were apparently completely fine with having Korra say "You killed my father!" to Zaheer... because we the audience knew that her father was still alive?
    Yibis One Piece Fansubs
    http://yibis.com - #yibis@irc.rizon.net

Quote Originally Posted by Count Mario View Post
    But he didn't really change his ways though. And by that, I mean he was just a thief that turned out to already be a nice person. Like Aladdin, I guess. Except that he could have probably been in any line of work so long as he was poor and needed to take care of his friends. My issue isn't that he developed, my issue is that there wasn't really a process of development. He sort of just went from point A to point B without much meat at all being in-between. Or was already at point B from the start. Which is fine, but I felt like it was a bit of a waste of what you could do with a thief character. And I find his personality of being a nice altruist bland, Aang did it better in any one episode he was featured in.
    I think Wan developed in understanding other people. The guy had pretty closed-minded way of thinking where every non-poor human was the bad guy and incapable of understanding other points of view. Whereas with all the experience he went through he learned that the story is usually much more complicated.He was kind of like Rava actually. Both pompous and certain in their belief refusing to accept other perspective. Wan managed to become more opened minded and Rava got softer.

Also If a bomb was going to explode on the city at the beginning of the story I would see him only save his friends but in at end I picture him trying to save everyone. I wouldn't say he was bad but I definitely believe he didn't care much about those that were not closely related to him.

I would say he went from an okay guy to a good guy. It is not as much as it could have been but it is something. And in 2 episodes I'm can see moving him more on the moral line making it more chalanging to handle his change in a timely fashion.

But everyone can take the story differently. The episodes being good don't mean they are flawless and opinions can vary.

Don't mess with the Law if you don't have an Ace up your sleeve.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information