+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17

Thread: Zoinks! A Scooby Doo thread!

Default Re: Zoinks! A Scooby Doo thread!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwood View Post
    I still remember renting that as a kid, coming right of off zombie island and the witches ghost, my Scooby mania was at an all time high. There was angry chewing of chips that day
    Even with a lot of nostalgia, I find it next to impossible to defend anything about Reluctant Werewolf. I think I liked it as a kid because I also liked the Wacky Races a lot at the time and well, that the closest I got to a feature length movie of that (Great Race doesn't count because that was the original). It's not like Scooby-Doo (for the most part at the time) was that good at mysteries anyway so the lack of one didn't really matter.

But good gravy, watching it as a adult was not fun. That "color commentary" gag was so painful and groanworthy that somehow warped back around to being brilliant and then terrible again.

The Color commentary gag I can live with the random dance number towards the middle of the film which is a about a minute in a half and shorter than that?

Easily the most cringey thing about the whole film.
    Last edited by Green_vs_Red; July 27th, 2019 at 01:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

Return to Zombie trailer is devastatingly bad. I'm legit angry.

Oh, so now monsters are real again. You couldn't do that in The 13th Ghost movie? The movie sequel to the show where monsters existed? Whatever.

NNID: jervinnectar

With the talk about the original film being an unsolved mystery on the Gang's part, I think the implication there is pretty clearly that the cat creatures and zombies were fake but they never found out who was behind it.
    Complicating things since 2009.

Well, I just watched the Urkel episode.

That was... a thing.

Also, Jaleel White can not do the voice anymore. Not a shock given he's in his 40's, but still.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Finally got around to watching "and guess who". It is suprsingly good? Some of the guest stars work better than the others, but overall solid. And the retro modern animation just plays off my nostalgia for watching boomerang as kid. Only one i haven't enjoyed so far was the Ricky Gervais one, but A i don't enjoy Gervais in general and B i prefer the storydriven eps over the excuse for a meta comedian to riff on Scooby and himself.

Side by side comparison is neat but YIKES that is bad writing. HAving Shaggy stand there and go "I know all this, I was there, why are you expositing?" doesn't change the fact that they are... doing that. At length. That's painful bad writing. At least bring in a random new person to explain to?

Also, the plot to Zombie Island sounds REALLY dumb when you explain it in 20 seconds. I mean, it was always dumb aside from the meta "its all real this time" aspect, but recapped its even worse.

Also also, the CG water at 48 seconds is super distracting.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.

Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

The fact that the plot to zombie island is just a recycled swat kats script always makes me bummed about how we never got to see Feral being cat culted. Stupid mid 90's turn to less violent cartoons.... But hey we got the best scooby movie and a revival of the franchise out of it

I am fairly certain I have never seen the very disco opening to The New Scooby Doo Mysteries (at 5:30) before. If its because those weren't syndicated or they just used a different opening and packaged them with the other stuff, I dunno. That intro ironically dated a lot faster than the original.

I've also never seen Shaggy and Scooby Get a Clue but that was by choice. Apparently even their opening was ashamed of the show since its... all in silhouette? And Be Cool just looks... eww.

I also realize there was a time when Cartoon Network had no budget and they would air a ton of these together every single day.
    Last edited by Robby; November 27th, 2019 at 11:01 AM.

I instantly disliked be cool scooby doo too when i first saw it, but it grew on me once i sat down and watched it. It sorta did for scooby what team fourstar did for DBZ, made alternative takes on every character and doubled/tripled down on being meta/selfaware with the running gags and in-jokes. A different flavor to be sure, but more enjoyable than those rinse and repeat running on fumes shows of the 80's

Metahumor has been a big part of Scooby-Doo since the Pup Named era though so that's not enough to get me past the character designs. A lot of people compare it to Family Guy but it's really more of a MAD look.

--- Update From New Post Merge ---

Scooby and Shaggy Get a Clue is one that I can't even bring myself to watch at all though; that intro is just so relentlessly awful. Plus you know a Scooby show is bad when it gets instantly buried like Get a Clue did.

Yeah no the art style can be a dealbreaker to some, but it is a shame that the more unique features of a perfectly decent show gets buried under the art direction.

Was there any reason why the gang was limited to Shaggy, Daphne and Scooby when Scrappy was around?

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Was there any reason why the gang was limited to Shaggy, Daphne and Scooby when Scrappy was around?
    Because once you add Scrappy (and give him a huge bulk of the focus) you can't keep dividing screen time 6 ways on a 20 minute show. Something had to give.

The other two were less popular and they figured they could go without them. And since they were moving away from the mystery thing and instead into "real monsters", you don't need detective Velma or planner Fred, you just need Shaggy and Scooby to run from the monsters... while Scrappy wants to fight them. They probably would have dropped Daphne too but, token girl. If she wasn't in there some other girl doing exactly the same things would have been.

Quote Originally Posted by KageKageKing View Post
    Wasn't that exclusive to 13 Ghosts? They probably just added her back as a way to explain how Scooby and Shaggy suddenly had the money to travel around the world like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    Wasn't that exclusive to 13 Ghosts? They probably just added her back as a way to explain how Scooby and Shaggy suddenly had the money to travel around the world like that.
    They used the same line-up for the new scooby and scrappy show, the one with the funky disco intro. But the other two appeared as guests in a few eps, like the one in the white house.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information