View Poll Results: Round 2: Team Edward or Team Jacob?

Voters
900. You may not vote on this poll
  • Perona-- OUT

98 10.89%
  • Hancock-- OUT

121 13.44%
  • Jinbe

155 17.22%
  • None of the above

526 58.44%
Closed Thread
Page 667 of 1045 FirstFirst ... 167 567 617 657 665 666 667 668 669 677 717 767 ... LastLast
Results 13,321 to 13,340 of 20894

Thread: Last Two Nakamates (vol. 5)

Default Re: Last Two Nakamates (vol. 5)

Jinbe would be another level of badass; I mean look at his resume (which isn't complete yet obviously): Probable First Mate of the Sun Pirates under Fisher Tiger, very well respected among humans and fishman, nigga was introduced in Level 6 of Impel Down, stood his ground most of the time during The War, can summon fish at will, Fishman Karate, an ex-shichibukai, one of the top soldiers in Neptunes Army, and respects LUFFY-KUNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Theres prolly a shit ton more I missed haha

Quote Originally Posted by Shift View Post
    Yowza, is this thread dead or what? Or is Jinbe's ascension so inevitable there's no room left for debate? ^_^;
    There's no discussion because there's nothing to discuss right now. The flashback has changed very little from the start. It is not currently a flashback about Jinbe, but rather Otohime and Tiger. Whether or not that changes remains to be seen. Discussing it right now would simply lead to pointless circular arguments, more so than pre-flashback discussions..

Quote Originally Posted by steve_dave View Post
    Personally I'm betting on Jinbe but I don't really care as long as they are good at Fishman Karate. I've always wanted Oda to show more about it ever since the Arlong arc.
    I agree 100% with this.

If it counts as Jinbe's flashback, I find it strange that he's the one narrating it. It's almost always been (or has always been) someone else. Oda even seemed to have gone out of his way to avoid it with Brooke - it was Franky telling the SHs what Brook went through.
    Still, just something small I noticed and is most likely completely unimportant.

Quote Originally Posted by badwolf1234 View Post
    700 wow

BTw this is my wish for the last nakama
    1. i hope its a girl
    2. a skypean that can fly/ a flying devil fruit user(it sure can come in handy)
    3. a very good driver(so it will be their helmsman and it can surely navigate so good that she can make the sunny avoid mountains, rocks and cannons very fast
    4. her fighting skills will be unique and interesting(i haven't thought of it yet)
    5. she is a clever and kinda stupid like luffy and hangout with the boys most of the time

i wish that happend!
    I so hope it's an Elban giant. You just can't have enough wiking power in your crew and Elban will become a plotpoint in the future.

Jinbei seems pretty much settled, while not having such a powerful flashback like Nami,Robin,Franky and yes even Sanji. It's emotional a bit better than Brooks atm(which was after rereading still a good one).
    And Tiger is still alive, so this flashback has the potential to even become better.

And his "I will do XXX, even if it Costs my life!" is just the right SH material.
    He's also a very powerful fighter, but don't we have enough hand-to hand combat types already?

The only thing which prevents me from fully believing in his joining atm, is his interaction with the crew. I just can't think about a good friendship, rivalry or nonsense setup for him in the crew.
    For example Brook had some hilarious moments with chopper, Nami and Franky.
    Ussop and Frankys friendship, the robot Nonsense with Luffy, Chopper and Lyssop.
    The strange kind of friendship between Ussop and Zoro.
    Or the always funny arguments between Zoro and Sanji.

I just can't think about something which would fit for in the SH crew, but thats the case for robin,too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain_Kabul View Post
    He's also a very powerful fighter, but don't we have enough hand-to hand combat types already?
    The ones that fight with some sort of aspect of their body and no weapons are Luffy, Chopper, Robin and Sanji. Only Sanji might actually count though, since he's the only one without a devil fruit.

7transformation duck rider Chopper Madness's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain_Kabul View Post
    I so hope it's an Elban giant. You just can't have enough wiking power in your crew and Elban will become a plotpoint in the future.

Jinbei seems pretty much settled, while not having such a powerful flashback like Nami,Robin,Franky and yes even Sanji. It's emotional a bit better than Brooks atm(which was after rereading still a good one).
    And Tiger is still alive, so this flashback has the potential to even become better.

And his "I will do XXX, even if it Costs my life!" is just the right SH material.

The only thing which prevents me from fully believing in his joining atm, is his interaction with the crew. I just can't think about a good friendship, rivalry or nonsense setup for him in the crew.
    For example Brook had some hilarious moments with chopper, Nami and Franky.
    Ussop and Frankys friendship, the robot Nonsense with Luffy, Chopper and Lyssop.
    The strange kind of friendship between Ussop and Zoro.
    Or the always funny arguments between Zoro and Sanji.

I just can't think about something which would fit for in the SH crew, but thats the case for robin,too.
    the problem with thinking this way for a reason to join or not join is most charter's crew interactions come after theyve joined

and while i agree the r important ur not gonna get a lot of insight into them until they happen after said char joins

3ds friend code: 2509-2091-9671

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
    There's no discussion because there's nothing to discuss right now. The flashback has changed very little from the start. It is not currently a flashback about Jinbe, but rather Otohime and Tiger. Whether or not that changes remains to be seen. Discussing it right now would simply lead to pointless circular arguments, more so than pre-flashback discussions..
    This. You guys. Read this. 10 times if you can. So you can understand why this flashback doesn't exactly give Jimbe more chances to join.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hinscher View Post
    naruto was WAY MORE KICKASS after the timeskip

i mean to show his badassness, him and sakura managed to get the bell from kakashi. beating pacifista's is so lame compared to that awesomeness

Quote Originally Posted by Reyairia View Post
    I find it strange that he's the one narrating it. It's almost always been (or has always been) someone else.
    Nah, only one flashback has been narrated; Nami's. And Brook's was stranger still, being broken up between chapters, including his first fight with Ryuuma, and also being semi-narrated by himself (Brook). Franky didn't narrate the flashback, he just commented in the present on some things that Brook had told him like 15 minutes prior.

Chilling in my bubble-bike steve_dave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Gabe View Post
    This. You guys. Read this. 10 times if you can. So you can understand why this flashback doesn't exactly give Jimbe more chances to join.
    I agree with this a bit but this flashback seems to be about Jinbe's actions regarding Arlong and the eventual change of heart regarding humans and Otohime/Tiger's deaths look to be just a catalyst for those.

There's no discussion because there's nothing to discuss right now. The flashback has changed very little from the start. It is not currently a flashback about Jinbe, but rather Otohime and Tiger.
    Yeah, it only has Jimbei in the middle of everything and affected by everything going on, forming bonds with every character involved, narrating the story himself, and getting screentime every time Tiger or Arlong is on panel, getting his first bounty, arguing with Arlong... oh, and he was observing Otohime, so he was in that scene too.

But no, its not about Jimbei at all.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    Yeah, it only has Jimbei in the middle of everything and affected by everything going on, forming bonds with every character involved, narrating the story himself, and getting screentime every time Tiger or Arlong is on panel, getting his first bounty, arguing with Arlong... oh, and he was observing Otohime, so he was in that scene too.

But wouldn't you agree that it only makes sense for the narrator to be in every scene of the flashback?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Fist Luffy View Post
    But wouldn't you agree that it only makes sense for the narrator to be in every scene of the flashback?
    Jinbe isn't in all the scenes. we don't see what Jinbe say to the mugiwaras, we see what oda tell us.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubber Fist Luffy View Post
    Absolutely not. Jimbe can easily know how certain things went down without actually being there.
    Folks who read One Piece... Just better people. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

I guess you guys have a point. I really wouldn't mind if Jimbei joined, but I personally see the flashback more focused on the queen and Tiger.

Well, as we've gone over a few dozen times, just about every flashback-- literally all but Norland's-- have been about-- that is, central to and affecting-- one of the crew members. So this flashback not being about Jinbe, not affecting him, not being central to him, not being about his relationship with the listed three parties (Otohime, Arlong, Tiger), or about his decisions... it would not only deviate from all previous flashbacks, but it would also go against the reason Jinbe started telling the story in the first place. Him not joining would also make this flashback unique to the others, being the first flashback about someone who does not join the crew (who is alive), while still having all of the staple future-crew member features: sad past, dead mentor, current predicament, future goals, etc.
    Last edited by brennen.exe; April 29th, 2011 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Admittedly 'future goals' is weak at the moment, but is still likely, given the whole "make friends with humans" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Just_Gabe View Post

Wouldn't be to sure about that, I mean if we consider all of the other Flashbacks that have occurred for potential Nakama they all mostly resemble this one currently in the manga and if you think about it, the person who's narrative the Flashback is from weather it be psychological or vocal isn't necessarily the person the Flashback is about.

I was recently re-reading the Arlong arc and Nami's flashback was about Bellemere just as much as Nami if not more so, I noticed the Flashback revolved more around Bellemere raising Nami & Nojiko and overall sacrificing herself to Arlong for her children's right to live, and her own life long desire to be a Mother.

Same thing with Franky his Flashback was about Tom and his trial for making Roger's ship,his creation of the Sea train and his knowledge of Pluton.

Luffy's revolved more around Ace and the death of Sabo.

Zoro,Chopper,Brook,Robin all of their respective flashbacks have revolved around other people while they themselves are our Bridge to the history of it all,just as Jinbe is currently doing with Tiger and Otohime.

The way I see it the only thing holding Jinbe back from joining is Luffy's invitation and his own Dream.
    Last edited by Blowfish; April 29th, 2011 at 01:05 PM.

Chilling in my bubble-bike steve_dave's Avatar

Great post.

Jinbe's "dream" could be seen more like Brook's promise to Laboon instead of something like Luffy's dream to be the freest or Nami's to make a map of the world. Honestly Jinbe's promise to Ace makes his "dream" more rooted to the crew (or at least it's captain) than anyone besides maybe Franky's and (obviously) Luffy's.

problem is Jimbe dusnt see Luffy as someone more powerful than himself and respectable enough to be his captain. He calls him Luffy-KUN, instead of Luffy-san like Brook, or just "Luffy" or "Sencho" (captain)

In fact Jimbe sees Luffy as just some young punk that needs his protection

Quote Originally Posted by RobbyBevard View Post
    The flashback isn't currently telling Jinbe's story. He's there, he's influenced by the events, but he's not at the center of all of it. That hardly indicates a Jinbe-centric flashback. Could this change? Sure, but as of now it's simply not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowfish View Post
    Stuff.
    Yep and all those directly influenced the course of events within their flashback right from the start. Jinbe has yet to do that.

The flashback isn't currently telling Jinbe's story. He's there, he's influenced by the events, but he's not at the center of all of it. That hardly indicates a Jinbe-centric flashback. Could this change? Sure, but as of now it's simply not the case.

Yep and all those directly influenced the course of events within their flashback right from the start. Jinbe has yet to do that.
    Wow dude you are a nit picker o_O

This Flashback isn't "only" about Jinbe just like none of the other SH members flashback was only about them,please just go re read all of their dialogue in their respective flashback chapters from Luffy right up to Brook they aren't the focus either ,they become the focus later on when the tragedy in their lives or the person closest to them dies which will happen with Jinbe after Tiger's tragic death and then again with Otohime.

Oda's not gonna write the same ol "This is me when Ima kid,this is my Dream" story,evidenced by Brooks own story which didn't give much insight into his past at all only his adult life before his death where he is already a pirate and his Flashback was less about Him and more about the Rumbar Pirates leaving Laboon behind [[which we knew since the reverse mountain arc]] Brook being apart of the crew was just a coincidence.

Closed Thread

Thread Information