+ Reply to Thread
Page 341 of 343 FirstFirst ... 241 291 331 339 340 341 342 343 LastLast
Results 6,801 to 6,820 of 6859

Thread: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

Xolo campaigned for Jaime and he got the role. Blue Beetle HBO Max film now has it's lead.

Spoiler:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...le-1234991765/

Excellent. We've needed a Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle for years.

Quote Originally Posted by TLC View Post
    Suicide Squad was da shit. Easily the best WB comic book film
    Of ALL TIME? or just from the last few years? In live action?

Because original Superman the Movie is still fantastic, Batman 66 is fun as what it is, and lots of the animated films are super solid.
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

Good for him. He's amazing in Cobra Kai.
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey King View Post
    A magical strange Twilight Zone episode where no other education is offered, and the only option is Bill Nye the Science Guy videos

Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Of ALL TIME? or just from the last few years? In live action?

Because original Superman the Movie is still fantastic, Batman 66 is fun as what it is, and lots of the animated films are super solid.
    You know I was only thinking of the recent live action films but it might be my favorite WB film ever. I certainly like it a lot more than any other film WB has done in recent memory. I like it as much as the top MCU films. I have a passion to see it again, something very few films have ever instilled in me. I like it more than Assault on Arkham which, until this movie, I considered the perfect Suicide Squad adaptation. And I think this film had the absolute best Harley Quinn in any...thing ever and I am absolutely counting the Dinn and Timi stuff.

I liked TSS. Simple and straight to the point.

Spoiler:
    I thought Harley n Peacemaker were going to be the best characters. Instead it was Shark and Ratcatcher that carried the heart of the movie.

I was hoping to see it in the theater, but with COVID numbers spiking up as high as they are here, I may just have to settle with streaming.

Eeh! Suicide Squad is streaming too..

They should've cancel that right after they witnessed Black Widow reaching piracy levels never seen before.

Black Widow is now the best selling American film for the year. As a company, you can only maneuver around Covid, can't fight it.

BW being less than a full month out and beating out films that were "theatre only" says a lot about the hybrid release.

Even the recent Shang Chi promotions don't have "theatres only" in them as much as they used to. Disney sees the Covid forecast and there can easily be another shutdown in November with there being a new variant every other month.

TSS getting the hybrid release was set in stone when they made the announcement in December. If they learned anything from BW, it's to stay with streaming and maximize what you can get out of that. There are a chunk of people that are not gonna risk their lives for some entertainment, vaccinated or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Monquito View Post
    Eeh! Suicide Squad is streaming too..

They should've cancel that right after they witnessed Black Widow reaching piracy levels never seen before.
    Pirating movies (and TV shows) existed before streaming. Plus despite what happened with Black Widow their have been successes with simul releases so streaming wasn’t likely the one thing that sunk Black Widow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ubiq View Post
    I've often wondered about that myself; seems like being supported by people who only want you there so the world can end in fire (with you going to Hell in the process) would be somewhat off-putting
    3DS Friend Code 0044-2806-5284

TLC is right, this is the best super hero movie to come form WB since the Dark Knight.

I really enjoyed TSS, miles better than the other movie that unfortunately shares 2/3 of its name.

Spoiler:
    was reallly sad when they killed Polka Dot Man :(

TSS was a good time. I wouldn't say it's the best DC movie since Dark Knight, but it was fun. You do need to have a dark sense of humor to fully appreciate it, which, I'll admit, isn't entirely my thing.

Spoiler:
    And I do think the movie suffers from a bit of a tone problem. At times it expects (some of) the characters and audience to be outraged by the experiments and deaths involving innocent people, but then it'll turn around and make jokes like "Weasel's killed 27 children" or Suicide Squad accidentally killing a band of freedom fighters. And then, despite wanting to save everyone at the end, they have basically no reaction to all the Starro corpses.

Can't get enough of Malcolm Tucker insulting people
    Every nation gets the government it deserves.---- Joseph de Maistre

Quote Originally Posted by Nobodyman View Post
    Spoiler:
    And I do think the movie suffers from a bit of a tone problem. At times it expects (some of) the characters and audience to be outraged by the experiments and deaths involving innocent people, but then it'll turn around and make jokes like "Weasel's killed 27 children" or Suicide Squad accidentally killing a band of freedom fighters. And then, despite wanting to save everyone at the end, they have basically no reaction to all the Starro corpses.
    All valid points that unfortunately can be hand waved by:
    Spoiler:
    They are fucking crazy criminals, their moral compass is whatever the fuck they think is right at a specific moment and is very narrow on who it's supposed to help.

I think the tonal problem comes form the people at WB (can't say for certain for the DC Comics, but it's sure different with Harley's TV series) want to make Harley their Waypool copy, "Oh look at me I'm an anti-hero with mental illness the says and acts all zany and crazy while I meme my way through a pile of corpses.".
    And I don't think Harley deserves to be turned into a copy of the worst version of Wade, because that's whats peaked the fan boys interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    Can't get enough of Malcolm Tucker insulting people
    He really felt like The Doctor if he went off the deep end.

Chief Warden of Yo Mama Jabberwok's Avatar

Y'all liked it that much? I thought it was merely ok. A lot of the comedy felt tired and obvious. It also felt quite long to me.

Spoiler:
    Harley Quinn felt almost entirely grafted in. She spends half the movie in her own storyline that ultimately doesn't go anywhere, she doesn't really add all that much to the fighting once they're all together, and she's the one who experiences maybe the least character growth of the bunch.

King Shark, Rat-catcher, and Polka-Dot Man were pretty charming, even if the "picture your mom" bit got old extremely quickly. Bloodsport was fine even if he was pretty clearly just a redux of Will Smith's Deadshot, and Peacemaker was largely meh outside of being a solid antagonist at the end. Peter Capaldi is great but his Thinker never really got to do much.

I feel like the plot really could have been streamlined quite a bit or refocused to have some stronger commentary of US-backed coups in Latin America. The bar scene, for instance- why? It felt extremely forced. The stuff with the rebels was good for a quick oops moment but then immediately lost all relevance. And the backstory inserts for each character felt only slightly less awful than 2016's Suicide Squad.

You know what a good comparison for this is? Rogue One. If you liked the different tone of Rogue One and the fantastic battle at the end made up for the movie's shortcomings, you'll probably like The Suicide Squad. If you think Rogue One is vastly overrated, give this movie a pass.

If you get dunked on in the dream, you get dunked on in real life

I can't see WB as being behind much of the choices in this film, even if they really are. The media campaign has been Gunn saying "I had complete control, i'm not these other directors". He can't shut up about it, so he should take credit for all praise and critique going forward. He knows Warner had more input than he's letting on, but he has a chip on his shoulder from the tweets that got him fired and the Snyder Cut topic. He overcompensates by leaning in on "this is my film, i'm not Ayer".

I remember watching Rogue One, but can't remember anyone's name and I tend to mix a lot of what happen with Solo. Star Wars films aren't trash, just not worth a rewatch.

RatCatcher 2 reminded me sooo much of Ghost(the villain from Ant-Man and The Wasp), that I literally googled to see if they were the same actress, lmao.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwok View Post
    You know what a good comparison for this is? Rogue One. If you liked the different tone of Rogue One and the fantastic battle at the end made up for the movie's shortcomings, you'll probably like The Suicide Squad. If you think Rogue One is vastly overrated, give this movie a pass.
    I guess I'm in luck then because I gave Rogue One a very hard pass, and I just walked out of The Suicide Squad having had a blast.

I though the characters served their functions well and were endearing when they needed to be, the setups had good payoffs, the pacing brisk enough that I was never bored, and the end battle was - perfectly fine, if not transcendent. Not all the jokes land, but enough do.

But yeah, the tone was SO refreshing. I'm not even a gorehound, but its nice to see a genre movie like this thats properly gonzo with the violence, where the heroes can bleed and die violently, where people can have sex, where Amanda can go OFF calling people motherfuckers, its so welcome to see. And sure, the political commentary could've gone further, as is often the case, but I honestly thought it went pretty refreshingly far in being a movie the Pentagon would maybe not sign off on. A lot more willing to paint certain nations and or attitudes as unambiguously nasty than certain other movies.

A fun time. King Shark was adorable, but Polka dot man might be secret MVP.

If "Fuck it, just do whatever" is the new modus operandi for the DCEU, I'm all for it. Like, I think they planned on making a horror movie about the freaky Trench people from Aquaman? Sure! Those things were freaky! Sign me up!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information