+ Reply to Thread
Page 320 of 321 FirstFirst ... 220 270 310 318 319 320 321 LastLast
Results 6,381 to 6,400 of 6405

Thread: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

  1. #6381

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    I will understand the logic behind "it has great reviews, so it's worth a try". Most of society really wait for sales and reviews, when they supposedly have their own opinion. I can look at 60% of a trailer and say whether it's worth a try at the theatre or wait for it at home. It's the simplest thing in the world. You have to read the opinions of others that might not have your taste for confidence?

    Based on the 2 trailers i've watched, i've felt it's worth a try, but the second 1 makes me question if that try should be in the theatre or not. The TV show pushed me into going to the theatre and I applaud that strategy by them.

  2. #6382
    Discovered Stowaway andre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    The King Engine

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    I will understand the logic behind "it has great reviews, so it's worth a try". Most of society really wait for sales and reviews, when they supposedly have their own opinion. I can look at 60% of a trailer and say whether it's worth a try at the theatre or wait for it at home. It's the simplest thing in the world. You have to read the opinions of others that might not have your taste for confidence?
    Previews aren't often enough for movies. For video games I will watch videos from a few highly detailed (but spoiler free) people whose opinions have been pretty on point, but use previews to inform the bulk of my purchases. For movies, word of mouth from friends is about all I can go on. Trailers are nice, but often subjective. If I knew some reviewers with taste similar to my own, I don't see why it would be an issue to use their reviews to see whether I want to watch a movie or not. It's hard to have an opinion on something one hasn't seen, even with a preview.

  3. #6383

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    Quote Originally Posted by andre View Post
    Previews aren't often enough for movies. For video games I will watch videos from a few highly detailed (but spoiler free) people whose opinions have been pretty on point, but use previews to inform the bulk of my purchases. For movies, word of mouth from friends is about all I can go on. Trailers are nice, but often subjective. If I knew some reviewers with taste similar to my own, I don't see why it would be an issue to use their reviews to see whether I want to watch a movie or not. It's hard to have an opinion on something one hasn't seen, even with a preview.
    Based on what you wrote, I can understand it better now. It's a simple difference in the perception of dependency

  4. #6384
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    I will understand the logic behind "it has great reviews, so it's worth a try". Most of society really wait for sales and reviews, when they supposedly have their own opinion. I can look at 60% of a trailer and say whether it's worth a try at the theatre or wait for it at home. It's the simplest thing in the world. You have to read the opinions of others that might not have your taste for confidence?

    Based on the 2 trailers i've watched, i've felt it's worth a try, but the second 1 makes me question if that try should be in the theatre or not. The TV show pushed me into going to the theatre and I applaud that strategy by them.
    A trailer is short and can be edited to say whatever the marketing wants it to say and have an agenda. A reviewer in top of his opinion usually describes the movie beats and what the movie interest are. Like is it an introspective on the character, is it all about the action, does those side characters get much to do, is there a lot of humor. And a a reviewer has way less incentive to twist what happens to fit his vision since her reward is from people liking his review not the movie. Also after a couple of reviews you can get a decent idea where your taste tend to cross and not have to spend the money on a waste or let a good one pass you by.



  5. #6385

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    You just need to find a person who's opinion you value, whether a friend or some reviewer

    granted you won't always agree with said persons opinion 100% of the time, but at least find someone who has somewhat similar tastes and that should help you gauge whether you want to see said movie

    and the best part is finding a little niche show or movie you never would have heard of without said person, for me I'd never heard of Young Justice or Firefly before someone showed said shows to me

  6. #6386
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    I will understand the logic behind "it has great reviews, so it's worth a try". Most of society really wait for sales and reviews, when they supposedly have their own opinion. I can look at 60% of a trailer and say whether it's worth a try at the theatre or wait for it at home. It's the simplest thing in the world. You have to read the opinions of others that might not have your taste for confidence?

    Based on the 2 trailers i've watched, i've felt it's worth a try, but the second 1 makes me question if that try should be in the theatre or not. The TV show pushed me into going to the theatre and I applaud that strategy by them.
    The great reviews were the only reason I went and saw Into the Spider-Verse. I literally could not have been more convinced that Sony simply did not understand how to make a Marvel movie without Disney getting involved, but that one proved me wrong. I was already planning on seeing BoP for the trailers and R rating, but the reviews are just icing on the cake.

  7. #6387

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    Quote Originally Posted by desa View Post
    A trailer is short and can be edited to say whatever the marketing wants it to say and have an agenda. A reviewer in top of his opinion usually describes the movie beats and what the movie interest are. Like is it an introspective on the character, is it all about the action, does those side characters get much to do, is there a lot of humor. And a a reviewer has way less incentive to twist what happens to fit his vision since her reward is from people liking his review not the movie. Also after a couple of reviews you can get a decent idea where your taste tend to cross and not have to spend the money on a waste or let a good one pass you by.
    I've seen so many things in story that I rarely ever finish the whole trailer due to being spoiled. That reviewer thing sounds like being spoon fed. There's no way you can speak for all reviewers. Especially when it's been revealed that some get paid to say certain things. On a wikia for manga, there are still things that have no sources. Some people depend on it when they don't want to go back to the manga without a source. Everything can't be policed. I can make an account right now and act like i'm spreading my genuine opinion for years. I don't have to be the "top reviewer" either. Ticket prices are high and I can't depend on a stranger to help me spend it when I have a mind of my own.

    If anything, I believe everyone is a reviewer or critic. Don Cheadle said it best. It all depends on if you have confidence in your opinion or even know your own taste. It's almost like watching one of those Youtube or podcaster breakdowns. It;s definitely for people that can't hang. I still haven't come across someone that can show me what I already didn't pick up on. There's a necessity for it, just not for me. It can help people form their taste and come to an understanding of narrative techniques, characterization and dramatic structure, if they have trouble keeping up.

    There's no one with an opinion that I value over my own and that's what it really comes down to with movies or TV. I know no one with the same exact taste. I can't wrap my head around the idea that people think someone else is comprehending story better than them. They can definitely perceive something differently, but better? Nah. Art is meant to be taken in how you see it.

    --- Update From New Post Merge ---

    Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    The great reviews were the only reason I went and saw Into the Spider-Verse. I literally could not have been more convinced that Sony simply did not understand how to make a Marvel movie without Disney getting involved, but that one proved me wrong. I was already planning on seeing BoP for the trailers and R rating, but the reviews are just icing on the cake.
    That's cool. You needed it and that proves it's necessity. Just not something for me

  8. #6388

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    It's called Birds of Prey but I bet it's mostly Harley movie than about the team.

  9. #6389

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Did you consider Suicide Squad to be a redemption story (even if done extremely poorly)? It does look to me like they're trying to go in that direction (at least more strongly than SS), with Harley attempting it by doing the only thing she knows how, which is maniac stuff. But she's working with people who aren't villains rather than a bunch of other villains being coerced to do good like in SS so that's something. I thought that was the impression everyone would have got from the trailers? But I'm optimistic. Lessons will be learned by all, I'm sure, over the course of the movie. Good guys will learn they need to break the rules to bring justice. Bad guys will learn they're not incapable of redemption, maybe they'll even like the taste of heroism, as full of collateral damage as it may be. Mob guys will learn that it's not just the Batman they need to be afraid of.
    I guess the redemption arc of Suicide Squad was Will Smith's character, but boy I remember so little of the film. At the back of my mind is always the thought that these people did bad stuff. Yes, they be looking cool doing what they do now, but they still did bad stuff. If it's not a redemption story (for more than 1 character), then I cannot get engaged. But even a type of bad guy, will have lines they don't cross, and you can find something redemptive there. That's they doing something noble, even if for a moment. Wonder if I'm describing the Suicide Squad now. Really remember nothing.

    But then I do like John Wick, and that guy's a brutal killer. But, dunno, killings contained within their world, I guess.

    If the trailer for the next Gunn-directed Suicide Squad will be a bunch of "cool" stuff happening with a hip hop song playing in the background, it is unlikely to catch my attention.

  10. #6390
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    Quote Originally Posted by Cockycent View Post
    That's cool. You needed it and that proves it's necessity. Just not something for me
    Well, the fact that it was overwhelmingly positive, like above 90%, is what got me. Only the extremes really affect my decisions, otherwise yeah, not really that useful. Less than a 50% on something I've been really wanting to see, like what happened with The Happytime Murders, will definitely be able to change my mind, and when it's something I didn't think I would want to see, it's got to be near the top scores for it to change my mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by baby-boo View Post
    I guess the redemption arc of Suicide Squad was Will Smith's character, but boy I remember so little of the film. At the back of my mind is always the thought that these people did bad stuff. Yes, they be looking cool doing what they do now, but they still did bad stuff. If it's not a redemption story (for more than 1 character), then I cannot get engaged. But even a type of bad guy, will have lines they don't cross, and you can find something redemptive there. That's they doing something noble, even if for a moment. Wonder if I'm describing the Suicide Squad now. Really remember nothing.

    But then I do like John Wick, and that guy's a brutal killer. But, dunno, killings contained within their world, I guess.

    If the trailer for the next Gunn-directed Suicide Squad will be a bunch of "cool" stuff happening with a hip hop song playing in the background, it is unlikely to catch my attention.
    John Wick is more of a revenge story, though, not redemption. His version of redemption, his retirement, gets thrown out the window in the first film and continues to devolve. Even if he takes out the High Table, that's not redemption. "Are you pissed off, John? Are you? Hmm?" No redemption there, just rage-fueled vengeance. Calling in every favor you possibly can for one's own sake, hardly noble.

    Deadshot's definitely on the road to redemption in SS, as was Diablo who sacrificed himself so there's nothing further there but it was nice. Harley's loyalty to the Joker was tested and she proved she could bond with others and risk her life for their sake (after a very rocky start) so that's a perfect little setup for BoP and with the worst influence in her life removed, while she's still broken, there's at least something there worth salvaging. Hell, even Captain Boomerang who ran off once his explosive device was deactivated, came back (for all the good it did), even if he was somewhat self-serving because of what he was trying to demand of them once they were locked back up. Also I don't see why the number of characters experiencing redemption is relevant.

  11. #6391

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day


  12. #6392
    The English Avenger Satsuki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Well hidden

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    That doesn't even qualify as a teaser.

  13. #6393
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    That doesn't even qualify as a teaser.
    Literally as devoid of substance as this was back in the day.


  14. #6394

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    Did he turn the gun that killed his parents into the bat symbol??
    To support Viz hosting all Jump manga for FREE and day of release, Arlong Park will now support the official release.
    https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

    Official chapter discussions now start Sundays at Noon, EST.
    Please do not post threads when scan sites release their version, and just discuss those releases in the spoiler thread.

  15. #6395

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    He tweeted Camera Test. This isn't a teaser. Especially when the movie is only 2 weeks into filming and it doesn't come out until late 2nd quarter of next year. Nice interaction and embracing of the fans. Unlike the OP live action crew

  16. #6396
    Discovered Stowaway
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Cali-4-Nye-Eh.

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    Quote Originally Posted by Robby View Post
    Did he turn the gun that killed his parents into the bat symbol??
    How would he have found it? It's not like the origin story of Spider-Man where he hunted down and caught the guy who killed Uncle Ben.

  17. #6397
    Kick-Ass Finalis desa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Somewhere

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    How would he have found it? It's not like the origin story of Spider-Man where he hunted down and caught the guy who killed Uncle Ben.
    It's not like it's the bullet. You can find a gun even years later. Also he might have dumped it after the murder and it was sitting in evidence until Bruce took it back.



  18. #6398

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    How is it gonna be part of the DCEU beside BvS ?

  19. #6399

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    Quote Originally Posted by Nilitch View Post
    How is it gonna be part of the DCEU beside BvS ?
    It isn't. They gave up on the DCEU.

  20. #6400

    Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

    Just found out there's this weird conflict between those who love Ben's Batman and this Batman. Between this and the DC vs Marvel stuff, I think some people need to take a break from entertainment. They go at each other more than those that flame each other over politics.

    With the Batman show (rumor), movie (next year) and game coming, I hope none of these come out bad. My whole life has been full with Batman. The market is too saturated. There's so many characters and they keep spamming Bruce. They need to go with lesser name and bring new energy

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts