+ Reply to Thread
Page 316 of 316 FirstFirst ... 216 266 306 314 315 316
Results 6,301 to 6,307 of 6307

Thread: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

Default Re: DC Movies Thread - Shazam saves the day

Yeah, I donīt see the problem with having an older Joker. I mean, he is not a character known for being a brawler, and most iterations of him know that they canīt go toe to toe against Batman, an expert martial artist in peak phisical condition. If a sequel does come out, Iīll be happy with them showing a Joker with a twisted sense of humor and some devious plans to srew Gothamīs elite.

Discovered Stowaway

Maybe it's because it's too easy? You think about a person who's really old, you kind of expect them to be cynical after a lifetime of shit and so obviously, boom, psycho supervillain. Having someone become that at a young age, especially from a very, very young age like when Bruce Wayne experiences his trauma that drives him to become Batman, makes a more appropriate mirror of the Dark Knight. At least, if you forego the whole 'falls into a vat of chemicals' backstory.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    Maybe it's because it's too easy? You think about a person who's really old, you kind of expect them to be cynical after a lifetime of shit and so obviously, boom, psycho supervillain. Having someone become that at a young age, especially from a very, very young age like when Bruce Wayne experiences his trauma that drives him to become Batman, makes a more appropriate mirror of the Dark Knight. At least, if you forego the whole 'falls into a vat of chemicals' backstory.
    Jack Nicolson wasn't exactly doing acrobatics.

Until further notice, this is a stand-alone movie. It doesn't matter. I've read people people call this, "A batman movie", or they overthink it in terms of its placing in a Batman's mythology. It's its own thing. Let Joker be 20, let him be 70. His age isn't his defining feature, nor is his backstory, a version of which I think The Dark Knight did brilliantly. Falling into a pool of chemicals that die your hair green wouldn't really have fit.

Discovered Stowaway

Quote Originally Posted by baby-boo View Post
    Jack Nicolson wasn't exactly doing acrobatics.

Until further notice, this is a stand-alone movie. It doesn't matter. I've read people people call this, "A batman movie", or they overthink it in terms of its placing in a Batman's mythology. It's its own thing. Let Joker be 20, let him be 70. His age isn't his defining feature, nor is his backstory, a version of which I think The Dark Knight did brilliantly. Falling into a pool of chemicals that die your hair green wouldn't really have fit.
    Well the chemicals also turned his natural skin color white and forced his face to contort into a permanent grin. At least in Nicholson's case.

Cesar Romero was 60 when he played the Joker and he was fine. It was a different kind of Joker sure ... but i agree that age isn't a defining characteristic for him in general.

Also, in another news ... Paul Dano is the Riddler! To be honest, i don't know him that well as an actor but he seems alright?
    3DS FC: 0748-2376-4827

The Die Has Been Cast Count Mario's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFranky69 View Post
    You could also argue that becoming a prominent villain as an older man contrasts with Bruce being young in a fun opposite mirror kind of way. Youthful optimism/vengeance vs elderly nihilism/anarchy. Put that together with how Bruce grew up privileged and had his parents die at a young age while Arthur got to grow up most of his life in the slums with an overbearing single mother and there you go, the opposite parallels write themselves. Especially since most traditional versions of Batman's top tier villains tend to skew young aside from Ra's al Ghul and Hugo Strange off the top of my head.

Aside from that, my favorite Joker takes are when he isn't a good hand-to-hand fighter. He can cook up the kookiest schemes in the world, but when he's a few feet away from Batman, he has to pull a cunning trick to survive or else he gets goes down with one good uppercut or judo throw. I remember how at the end of Death of the Family, Joker tries to surprise attack Batman with an axe at the end of the story and barely puts up a decent fight. That hilarious and embarrassing defeat does not undermine how scary and tactical he is throughout the rest of the story in the slightest.

Then there's how many times he pulls a trick to inhibit Batman in the Dark Knight be it literally throwing his goons at Batman while he cowardly kicks Batman on the side with a shoe knife, shooting the Batcycle with an assault rifle while Batman hesitates to run over him because of the no kill rule, and Joker unleashing attack hounds on Bats while he pummels him with a pipe.

Joker's all about psychological manipulation and having aces up his sleeve to ensure a victory rather than fair direct one-v-one combat.

It's more appealing to me that way because Joker is supposed to be a human being that feasibly anyone can become, yet is also somehow capable of making himself seem like he's larger than life.

Spoiler:
    "Life's not about finding out which card is yours, but finding out which cards you're not."

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information